1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I think the fact that Porygon evolves by trade twice is proof enough that gamefreak probably doesn't care too much if they double up on a method for a line.
    The movepools for stone evos, though....
  2. EsurioXY

EsurioXY

Who is to say that the particular trainer isn't also a serious reason for the pokemon to evolve or not? Why does that one trainer have a level 60 Magikarp?

Consider Red/Blue they were not skilled enough to evolve Eevee through happiness. Likewise Silver/Gold probably were unable to evolve Aipom because they could not even have Aipom learn the proper move.

Beyond all of this who is to say that evolution is a static thing? Consider that pokemon evolve to adapt and that many evolutions are actually the work of man forcing evolution onto the pokemon (all trade/item/stone) evolutions. Licklicky could merely represent man finding a way to force Lickingtounge to evolve.

I really am of the opinion that the games are abstractions of thing that can't simply be made into a balanced RPG. Figure that a twelve year old is always somehow this awesome trainer and everyone else, even people dedicating their lives to it, can not compete to what he can do in a month or more.

Realistically levels don't exist in the pokeworld, its just some useful game abstraction. Likewise evolution methods can't be highly complex and they must be abstracted, this is a great way to handwave inconsistencies...

However nothing hand-waves the incense 'babies'.... other than... once again... man purposefulling forcing a fetal pokemon to be born to early so that its in a completely pointless, but cute, form. Like a toy dog!
  3. shytende

shytende

I had this idea about a split-evo of Buneary.
    But I think it's highly unlikely. Everything in Pokemon is about treating them well.
    Frustration is basically useless.
  4. Taylor

Taylor stardust infinite
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Pokemon Types

Reliable or not, this is an interesting article.

I noticed there was a Houndoom evolution in that list, though the name leaves little to be desired. Heracross also gets itself a pre-evolution judging from what I've read so far.

There's also a Dragon/Fighting type as well which sounds competitively promising but its name looks legendaryISH so I'd assume it's probably uber.

The long awaited Ghost/Steel-typing has made its way into Pokemon by the looks of this list; hopefully its ability is Levitate.
  5. CJorex

CJorex

It has already been decided that this is most likely fake
  6. Taylor

Taylor stardust infinite
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yeah, I thought the same when I read the first screenshot in the slideshow because I know Dragon / Fighting & Ghost / Steel are offensively and defensively perfect as far as coverage goes and loads of players want to see these introduced. Houndoomed almost gives it away because all it's doing is adding a tense to the original name.

I'm excited to see some of these new type combinations and was hoping if anyone could confirm or speculate whether some of these dual-types in this article would be reasonably good, real or not. Fighting / Flying would be kind of cool to try out.
  7. Soul Fly

Soul Fly IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
    is a Contributor to Smogon

This list was leaked today on 4chan. We all know how much trust we can place in 4chan but still looks legit enough for speculation:

I do know that this has partially leaked and shared here before, this is the complete comprehensive list along with the pokedex numbers and typings.

[​IMG]
  8. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

^That exact list has been thoroughly discussed for TWO DAYS now...
  9. Soul Fly

Soul Fly IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS

Oh really? I was under the impression that the first one was incomplete since I can across this on 4chan today only.

Anyways no big deal. Will save some back linking I guess.
  10. Blazi

Blazi

I hope the list is fake to be honest. While some typings are awesome (Flying/Fighting and Ghost/Steel), the names of the pokemon are very fake-ish. I mean, Cocojoe, Jacoq, Flyby'Nyte, Toilelite? I know the last few generations had some weird names, but this is a bit too much, even after the new legendaries. Thank god we'll know soon if he's trolling or not.
  11. Menorka

Menorka

Have been looking for poke rumors for a while now, and had to say that Jacoq makes perfect sense for a cardgame based legendary, (being Jack+Coq obvoiusly), they seem to follow the jack - ace formula for all the legendary name. I hope these rumors are true as there seems to be some really well thought out names and designs, still they seem almost too good to be true.
  12. Codraroll

Codraroll

If the list turns out to be fake, I kind of hope the creator will step forward, because as stated, it's a very well crafted "leak".

I'm no experienced Fakédex-er, but it appears he's been working on the material for a while. It seems like the list of Pokémon, Gym Leaders, etc, was created well beforehand. That really isn't the hard part, there are many people who have made something similar.
    However, the way it was presented is rather well done. Instead of going all-out with everything, and have it written off as another wishlist, he first presented it as if he had very limited access to the stuff, recited from memory or brief info sheets. Quick descriptions from artwork, small overview of game features, some interface, etc. He refers to specific points in the trailer, having explanations for minute details, and so on. He has all the designs ready, all names and so on. However, to avoid inconsistencies, he pretends not to know much, instead portioning out his stuff little by little. This way, nothing he says goes against anyhting he will say later.
    Later on, he appears to correct a misconception from his earlier post (the part of the trainers being non-customisable), as well as presenting a little more of his stuff. Still no names and no definites on the Pokémon side, but he's suspiciously specific when it comes to Gym Leaders, Elite Four, and place names.

The third update, he appears to have gutsed. Many people have pretended to work for GameFreak, posting tidbits of information that don't line up with each other. Eventually, people write off every new "leak" as just wishful thinking camouflaged as official leaks to generate discussion. Mr. XY could either keep feeding us more and more information until GameFreak decidedly blows his cover (by disproving stuff he said), creating a long-wided but low-intensity discussion, or go all out with his entire Pokémon list, using the momentum of his two other "leaks" to spur a super-intense discussion with a LOT higher risk of being disproven. Once GameFreak releases a single name that isn't in accordance with the list, the game would be over. However, until that happens, the discussion goes back and forth, generating more attention than all the other alleged "leaks" combined. It's a near-perfect trolling, its consistency and quality managing to even sway some sceptics. The names sound very much like something GameFreak would do. The types and designs are in accordance. Some names are very clever, seeming random at first but making sense if you know what they are referring to. New type combos are abundant, and many of them figure high on the "want list" of enthusiasts and competitive players. Old fan-favourite Pokémon receive evolutions. The list has lots of stuff the players want to see, lots of stuff we would expect to see from GameFreak, but it doesn't overdo it completely.

If this is fake, it has accomplished its objective. Every Pokémon fan site has a thread or two discussing it. Many fans have swallowed the bait completely. Many are sceptical (myself included), but even they agree this is very well crafted. Any news from GameFreak refusing what we've been presented could blow the list completely. On the other hand, any news from GameFreak not refusing it would just cause the debate to stir even higher.

If it's legit, however, Mr. XY should either be looking for a new job soon, or he has done his job well and generated a fantastic amount of PR. Whether or not his bosses wanted this to happen is uncertain, but either way it has got the fans pumped for the game.
  13. Magcargo

Magcargo Okay
    Mentor

Garbarge? What kind of a name is that? If this is true, gamefreak is running out of ideas here.
  14. keys2tkingdom

keys2tkingdom

There is evidence for this list to be real and for it to be fake. And not enough evidence out there to make it a proper judgement. So I'll be putting my money is on a little bit of both. (i.e. Some but not all of the pokes on this list are real - and not just the ones we know about - and/or there are pokes NOT on this list)

Though I will say if it does end up that we get us only ONE new Eevee-lution this gen, it will be on my list of Troll Freak's ultimate trolls.

EDIT: I mean seriously, why just give us one of the remaining Eevee-lutions when they know we want all the other 10? Oh yeah, they're Troll Freak.
  15. Codraroll

Codraroll

Conceptually, it's not at all different from Trubbish. It follows a pattern that has been present since practically forever. Common word + a couple of extra characters to create a double meaning. See for instance Cloyster or Haunter.
    However, last time I checked, a barge was a sort of boat, whereas this 'mon is supposedly Poison/Steel and based on some sort of dumpster. If true, it's not the cleverest of names. That is, there might be a second meaning to it that would make more sense thematically.

Now you're being greedy. They are obviously saving them for generations 7-11. They don't want to use up the entire supply of Eevee types in a single generation, when they can stretch it to at least five. Keep in mind that there will most likely be even more generations of Pokémon in the future, and we could need an Eeveelution or two for them too.
  16. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

You give the creator of "Houndoomed" and the helicopter chespin evo way too much credit. All he's done is slap together concepts people had already speculated about and supported, mixed them in with terrible ideas of his own, and released the mess in chunks. A few of the "leaked" pokemon concepts mentioned earlier were rather creative and original, but the percentage is far too small for GF standards.
  17. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

You know what typing we really need?

Normal/Fire. I mean, we already have a Normal/Grass AND a Normal/Water, I'm just waiting for a Normal/Fire to complete the triangle.
  18. keys2tkingdom

keys2tkingdom

Okay, I will concede that giving us all 10 remaining Eeveelutions in one gen IS being greedy - but at least they could give us TWO Eeveelutions.
  19. Aura Flare Riolu

Aura Flare Riolu

A Physical version of Hidden Power. Kinda surprised they haven't done that already...
  20. Gaburaisu

Gaburaisu

Physical HP Flying for Gyarados instead of Bounce? I wonder if people would actually use that. I think the concept is great regardless. Physical HP Ground for Arcanine? Yes plz
  21. EsurioXY

EsurioXY

Consider that speculation that Eevee's only evolve into a former 'special' type and we are only missing a Dragon Eeveelution, something which is probably unlikely (though I do not know why they wouldn't do it... its not like they haven't made weak dragons recently <eww just imagine how bad a baton passing Dragon Dance Eevee would be>), you should be happy we are even getting a Normal evolution.

I actually like Wastenaut and Garbarge. Consider that Wastenaut is a pun AND probably references an origin nautical. THEN it evolves and plays off of its nautical meaning in Garbarge!

Consider that a barge, while a naval vessel, is more likely to be land wreckage when it is is trash, a common theme of the Grimer/Trubbish line is trash coming to life, and its really easy to see how a former naval vessel now awash and wrecked ashore is a poison steel poke...

I'm calling Garbarge to be at least UU material! I want it!

I'll be honest though, I can't find out who is this gen's Mew/Victini...

Xerenes being Psychic Rock is weird and probably going to kill it competitively.

Dark/Electric legendary trinity? No perceived 3rd mascot? Hmm. Buson?

Sabullion is clearly meant to be a Saybeleye evo... A claydol evo, Eyedol? Why is it so early in the line? Maybe prevo?

If Yvetal is really ghost flying... I must get Y.

If this is true, which for all intents and purposes I am NOT going to forget about the Gen V leaks, this shows a pretty diverse zone filled with many old pokes and a few new ones. The cool thing about baby Syther/Pinser/Heracross is that we get them earlier in game.

Also pretty sad that Pinsir doesn't evolve :(
  22. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

Gen 3 says hi. They could just change the current hp mechanics to allow you to choose whether you want it to be physical or special.
  23. Aura Flare Riolu

Aura Flare Riolu

I guess that's not a bad idea either.

If they do make a Physical Hidden Power in Gen 6, I reckon we will eventually see the last of Scizor in OU...Just saying.
  24. Codraroll

Codraroll

In response to your first concern, it was earlier speculated that because of the 3DS' online capabilities, not all the Pokémon need to be in the game at launch. Event legendaries could simply be released for download when the time comes (this way, the hack-happy fans would be less likely to spoil the surprise too).

Second, the "leak" supposedly contains a Pinsir evolution (#672 Scimincer, pure Bug). So if it is legit, Pinsir will indeed evolve. And even if it isn't, there's no saying we won't have a Pinsir evolution anyway.
  25. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego No matter if it seems so hard, friends are here
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

I'm actually afraid that MrXY built his whole speculations on one true fact; the pinsir/herracross prevolutions. What if everything of his is faked except for these two pokemon--they get revealed on the 15th, and suddenly everything he says is true? Who knows where or how he got that information, at any rate. I'm really not looking forward to have Oregan the music ox in my pokemon.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)