1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

It's Pinsir's evo.

Mr. XY already cleared up that one. Jean and Jane are the "official" names and can be changed; what is non-customizable is their clothing, unlike what people thought after watching the trailer.
  2. TerrickTerran

TerrickTerran

Sciminser is allegedly Pinsir's evolution.

I think more than anything I'd be irritated if I couldn't choose the name of my character. Why would they want to force a name on you?
  3. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

Pinsir getting an evo makes no sense. The thing has 125 atk and 85 speed. An evo out of that would probably top at 135 atk and like 95 speed. That would be insane.
  4. IcyMan28

IcyMan28

See: Haxorus. Darmanitan. Look in the pokedex for more examples.

The incredulity needs to stop; very little of what has been stated is as unlikely as some would make it seem.
  5. blitzlefan

blitzlefan shake it off!

Wasn't the bonding system in Pokemon Conquest basically the exact same thing as EXP?
  6. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

They are fully evolved already and with crappy def to balance their offense. A Pinsir evo would be extremely strong, fast and bulky. That aint happening.
  7. Xylaser

Xylaser

and how will water fights look like?^^
    (while swimming)
  8. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

:O I can't believe nobody has brought this up! That's a really good question. There weren't water fights in the 3D spinoffs, and in the 2D games it didn't matter because you didn't see much of anything. But now, I wonder if fish will actually fight at least somewhat submerged and if most pokemon will clearly be walking on the water...
  9. Mario With Lasers

Lolwhat. Pinsir's only a bit more physically defensive than Darmanitan; he loses in anything else to it. Haxorus is MORE physically defensive than it, and I guess I don't have to mention the other stats.

Seriously, how can you say that a Pinsir (PINSIR) evo would be too strong if you don't even know what they would do with its base stats, lol. They could pull a Scizor evo on us, only rearranging its stats, or maybe a Dusknoir/Rhyperior one. How, I ask you, would a 85/135/110/65/80/105=580 (which is a BST Pinsir will never have) be any worse than anything we've seen in OU, specially considering it could be a pure Bug-type?

Come on. A certain measure of skepticism is always good, but trying to shoot down every single idea just because it doesn't fir some apophenia of what Game Freak should or shouldn't do is completely unnecessary and counterproductive to the discussion.
  10. cant say

cant say

Yeah the way you increased your 'link' was exactly like exp. But what I think DHR-107 meant was the whole 'perfect link' when there are pokemon suited to you. I think this would be cool in-game, but only if you could chose your preferences on which Pokemon suit you, but I don't think it would work any better than good old exp. I am really curious to what the 'bonding' thing is going to be. I'm guessing more moves like Return and Frustration, or all evolutions need to meet a certain happiness level before happening.
  11. Jabroni

Jabroni

Late to the party. But whenever I read up on supposed "leaks" I get wondering: Could you see GF ever leaking something controversial early one (like that flamechu) anonymously, to test fan reactions? If reactions weren't overwhelmingly positive, they could decide not to put it in the game, and pretend like it was just a fan made rumour. I mean, now that the standards of fakemon are the highest they've ever been, no one would suspect it was GF if they decided to abandon the idea. People would just think it was another well thought out hoax.

I can't help but feel that Pokemon fan's are older on average than they've ever been, and have expectations of the series that have had the chance to develop over up to 5 generations, Nintendo should be testing its audience, at least in part, to see what it wants.

It wouldn't be the same as just going through a forum like this one and writing down fan wishlists because its what the "hardcore" want - because after all, they'd still be using their own original ideas. They wouldn't be pandering, just discreetly field testing. That way, they could make just a couple of exciting changes to the pokemon formula each generation to keep things fresh, but only if they were certain they'd be well received by the majority of gamers. They'd also be able to test how the old formulas are holding up. Eg, if they "leaked" the klink family in such a way, and received a bad reaction, than maybe they'd realise its time to stop giving us lazy objectmon. I mean, they could have atleast made it a clock or something. instead of just gears. godamn.

Knowing GF like we all do, that kind of strategy's never going to happen... Mainly because Nintendo's famous for having the deepest faith in their design teams and for loving the surprise factor. but has that kind of thing ever been known to happen in any other popular franchise?
  12. Infernis

Infernis

I don't see any reason to believe this man is correct until there is evidence. I will remain incredulous, and Mr. XY incredible*, in the meantime. We'll have to wait and see what comes with CoroCoro.

*As in not credible.
  13. IcyMan28

IcyMan28

This is reasonable and encouraged. What I'm referring to is people immediately shooting down any and all rumors/suggestions based on some imagined knowledge of the inner workings of game freak. "135 Atk/95 Spe Pinsir evo is insane no," was one example, because we clearly have evidence to the contrary. Another is people immediately shooting down rumors that contain type combos like ghost/steel just because "its too similar to what the community has been clamoring for." More radical changes than a simple evolution or new type combo have been made.
  14. cantab

cantab

I suggested a while ago we'd see scaling of the Pokemon in battles. We probably won't see stuff like Skitty and Wailord to the correct relative scale, but I expect a level 50 Pokemon could be visibly larger than a level 5 Pokemon of the same species.
  15. Vashimus

Vashimus

Why do people want a Pinsir evolution so bad when its stats and movepool are already very similar to Heracross? And Heracross definitely doesn't need an evolution.
  16. Magcargo

Magcargo Okay
    is a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

Well, I'm pretty sure those two evolutions will be extremely similar to scizor. If that is the case, they will both lose a lot of speed in exchange for attack and other stats.
  17. Mario With Lasers

Scyther evolved, Pinsir didn't (and they were originally counterparts). Electabuzz, Magmar and Jynx got pre-evos, Mr. Mime didn't. Mr. Mime got a pre-evo, Electabuzz and Magmar got evos and Jynx didn't. Dusclops evolved and Banette didn't. Dustox got a good DW ability, Beautifly didn't (lol Rivalry). Seadra evolved, Seaking didn't.

And many other discrepancies.

Really, people, stop. Game Freak isn't legally bound to do anything. Those so-called patterns someone always come up with only to sustain their arguments don't exist or are simply irrelevant. If Pinsir got a 550 BST evolution and Heracross didn't, not only it wouldn't be unheard of, as it would be largely irrelevant; hell, if Pinsir evo was pure-Bug, it would maybe still be outclassed by Heracross.
  18. shytende

shytende

Well, BST isn't the most important thing to determine a Pokemon's Power, Or Scizor and Scyther, Heracross and Pinsir would be in the same tier...
    If they just decide to give it +10 in every stas except SpA, it still won't be Uber.
    Even that 580 BST did't looked broken...
    Though, an evolution Similar to Scizor, with an added fight type would be pretty scary...
  19. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

The thing that surprises me is that both got pre-evos BUT only Pinsir got the evo.

Obviously there's nothing stopping them from doing that but why. Did they finally look at Pinsir & Heracross and go "YOu know maybe this wasn't entirely fair, let's let Pinsir evolve to catch up"
  20. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

I've actually thougth that Scizor could gain an evolution with its Bug-type replaced with something else. I thougth that it would be cool for Scyther totally losing its typing until the third evolution, but this Scizor evolution could have a higher BST.

Though thinking better, this could have an impact since Scizor would be compatible with Eviotile. I think now, there are a lot of Pokémon that could gain evolution but they would have incredible defenses with Eviotile, such as Starmie (do you believe that a 252 HP / 252 Def Starmie with Eviotile would have almost as much physical bulk as Skarmory?)
  21. Green

Green

Was a Scyther pre-evo mentioned in any of the "leaks"?
  22. Vashimus

Vashimus

Well excuse me princess. Damn and crucify me for speculating.

Even with the discrepancies, you know just as little about the game as the rest of us, so any speculation is fair game. You can just choose whether to accept it or not.

Similar stats, movepool, same base stat total, version exclusives for Black 2 and White 2, same DW ability, both are based on beetles, they're obviously counterparts. You're telling me they're both going to get prevos yet only Pinsir gets the evo? Heracross' fighting subtype sets it and Pinsir eons apart, but they're still obviously counterparts. The only ones you listed that are even remotely counterparts are the Electabuzz and Magmar families, since it's been implied throughout the generations. Version exclusives, similar abilities, both receive Prevo and evolutions in the same generations, and the way you evolve them are practically the same. Jynx and Mr. Mime have nothing to do with them. Unless all humanoid Gen 1 Pokes are lumped together?
  23. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

One thing I want to see is the actual Pokémon fainting, rather than just sink into the ground. Come on gamefreak, why couldn't they do that by 5th gen?
  24. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Probably a sprite work/flow of battle thing.

But since these are 3d models, and every 3d game has had faint animations, I'm sure this will happen.
  25. Vashimus

Vashimus

I don't want it like Battle Revolution though where you attack and it kills their Poke, but they shake off the attack and get back into position, and THEN they faint. They did it better in the older ones where it skipped straight to the faint animation after they got hit if it was a killing blow.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)