1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bearded Dragonite

Bearded Dragonite

Dear God - Imagine the support movepool a Grass/Ghost type would have! :D

In terms of storyline, I admit I never expected much from them, but in B/W, I was amazed by N & Ghetsis. Ghetsis's use of complete psychological manipulation on N, and arguably the rest of Unova, makes him truly terrifying. N's story speaks for itself - A fantastic tragic villian.

Nintendo & GF aren't expected to focus on the story, we know, but when you've seen that they're capable of writing villians like those two (And Dimentio from Super Paper Mario), you just want to see more of them...
  2. Xenol

Xenol

Well... alternative endings doesn't really necessarily mean dark/bad endings. What I had in mind is stuff like extra stuff you might get in another ending such as more plot related stuff explained by doing some optional sidequests/clear certain conditions (I somehow feel that the legend of the Tao dragons in Gen 5 is somewhat lacking as we were only told bits and pieces of the legend and still somewhat vague especially with the abyssal ruins) or maybe something bonuses like being able to catch the mascot legendary before the ending instead of post-game by proving yourself/clearing certain conditions as well.
  3. Darknesscrusher

Darknesscrusher

I would love extra endings.

Also, I suspect Chespin to be Grass/Flying, something like this: [​IMG]
  4. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

Emolga says Hi....
  5. The Shadow Lugia

The Shadow Lugia

What if we combine:
    The longevity of G/S (like the combination of 2 regions, or something to make it longer)
    The story of R/S (gotta admit, pretty good)
    The features of D/P/HG/SS
    and the functions and more features from B/W? (battle mechanism, etc)
  6. Darknesscrusher

Darknesscrusher

I know, but if you just alter it a bit, Chespin could become that. Also, Emolga is shit.
  7. cantab

cantab

Bioluminiscent mushroom would clearly be Grass/Light.
  8. Flareon

Flareon

Just because a concept's been done before, doesn't mean it'll be repeated again.

Primeape's a PRIME example. There's several Monkeys in Pokemon.
  9. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

I'd have to say, that's pretty appealing, but I feel like you left out a few things.
    G/S does have a good aftergame, but I think the most important part of the aftergame is not just seeing new places, but also getting a good challenge out of it. For example-
    Platimum- endgame had an extensive battle frontier and a whole new island to explore.
    Emerald- Once again, this endgame contained a whole new island. It wasn't quite as filled with new areas like D/P/P, but it still was pretty nice
    Story- R/S/E had a pretty good story, but it's less like it was the best, and more like it had one of the best features. Some other good points were:

B/W- N, Corless, and Ghetis were interesting characters, far more, in fact, than any other character in the series (from a emotional standpoint, most hilarious would be Hugh) Also, Hugh, Cheren, and Bianca are great rivals due to the level of interaction you have with them and the sheer amount of characters. The gym leaders as well have personalities and seeing them beyond simply being barriers to the elite 4 is good.

R/S/E- Despite his failure to stop you at every turn, Wally is probably one of the best rivals, and the idea of a weak child who grows into a threatenting battler through their pokemon can be expanded upon.

D/P/P - This one had a dissapointing rival and team. Cyrus could have been far, far better, as displayed by the mention of him as a child in sunnyshore city. Then again, I didn't beat platinum, only diamond, so perhaps they exapand on his backstory a bit? However, partners in certain areas of the game was a good idea, and even though it has been in later games, a variety of one off trainers to go through a forest or cave with would be nice.

Music- All of them really, all of the games have their own unique feel, and except for the b/w wild battle theme (which I really dislike) they all are enjoyable to listen to.

Functions and Features and Stuff- A mix of B/W, D/P/P, HG/SS and R/S/E.
    PokeNav/ Pokegear were excellent, and a combination with the poketech for multipurpose use and the B2W2 C-gear for quick play with others and multiple conversational choices.
  10. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

I have never seen Primeape as a monkey to be honest... And they are all fairly distinctly different. Another flying Squirrel will be directly similar. There are MANY species of monkeys, not many species of flying squirrel...

I hope they include Dolphins or more interesting bug types!
  11. -NLMRY-

-NLMRY-

Bioluminiscent mushroom says the "light" type can go to hell.

EDIT: because wanted to jump into the story discussion.

I honestly think all of the villainous teams since Rocket have been rather cheesy. I guess I just really dislike the world domination aspect that the games have taken on. And Silver was the best rival, if you can call him that. That he was misguided and followed the "wrong" path but changed through his experiences was really cool and seemed more to the point of the series. I'd like more character development like that. I guess N was kind of the same way and perhaps it's the nostalgia talking...but anyway, less world domination, more mafia thugs and angsty youths
  12. PME

PME

For some reason I get the feeling XY are gonna have a very "light" storyline. As for the main villains, maybe they'll be less "Let's take over the world by force" and more "Slowly but surely on the down low" like Gen 1's TR.
  13. Belbazoar

Belbazoar

I could see the bioluminescent mushroom actually being Electric/Poison more then Electric/Grass
  14. cantab

cantab

Yeah, I'd like to see the bad guys try something other than awakening ancient legendaries. That was fresh and new in Ruby and Sapphire, but then we had basically the same thing in Diamond and Pearl. Black and White put a bit of a new spin on it, only for Black 2 and White 2 to return to the same by-now stale idea.

I fear sensitivities would nix the idea, but I reckon a bunch of covert terrorists would make a good evil team. As you're going about your usual gym quest, you hear reports of various destructive events happening about the region, and it's a great mystery who or what is behind them. You're then charged with investigating things and bringing the perpetrators to justice. The evil teams thus far have been pretty overt, it'd be neat to have someone you don't instantly recognise when you see them.
  15. kazzafan

kazzafan

I dont know why the Poketch was not used after Gen 4 ...
  16. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

Cause the C-Gear exists now.
  17. Vashimus

Vashimus

To be fair, in the Japanese versions of the games, wild Electabuzz can only be found in Red (Power Plant), wild Magmar can only be found in Green (Pokemon Mansion) and wild Jynx could only be found on Blue (Seafoam Islands), while Yellow had none of them. Red and Green provided the version exclusives for the international release of Red and Blue (as well as their remakes FireRed and LeafGreen) while Blue provided the graphical and script updates.

I don't know why Jynx didn't get an evolution either. Probably thought her stats were fine as is.
  18. Vashimus

Vashimus

Then why the hell did you tell us "People, just stop."? Don't say we're free to speculate and then just tell us to shut up.

Forget it. It's whatever at his point. You wanna disagree, fine. I don't think either of them needs an evo tbh.
  19. PapillonReel

PapillonReel

He didn't say you can't speculate. He said to stop treating patterns as an absolute truth. And he's right! People use MUH PATTERNS to shoot down speculation all the time when Gamefreak has proven they'll break from it whenever it's convenient. Dusclops vs. Banette is the best and most notable example - they're version exclusives right next to each other in the Pokedex with the exact same BST, yet they went ahead and only evolved one of the two when D/P rolled around. It doesn't help that a lot of the patterns people use are only assumed, like Miltank and Tauros.

In other words, it's fine to say that it's more likely they'll both evolve because x reasons, but don't assume it's guaranteed - so long as it doesn't require a retcon or break the game's balance*, Gamefreak has proven that they'll add whatever Pokemon they feel like to a game if they have a working design.

*And even then, it didn't stop them from introducing overpowered monsters like SB Blaziken.

And as for why people are disagreeing with you on this specific case:

You're making a false equivalency based on their BST alone, and not taking into account stat distribution, typing, movepool or abilities. Heracross has a viable niche as a Guts sweeper and it (as well as other Pokemon; hello Haxorus) outclass Pinsir by a wide margin. Giving the latter an evolution to help catch up to the power creep would be perfectly in line with Gamefreak's M.O., and lord only knows it needs it.

Then again, Gamefreak might very well give Heracross an evo and ignore Pinsir altogether. You never know~
  20. cantab

cantab

Heracross and Pinsir are so similar though that if Pinsir gets an evo and Heracross doesn't, we'd probably all be complaining about how badly Heracross was outclassed by Pinsir2 and Eviolite Pinsir.
  21. shockwave527

shockwave527

The only things I'd say would NEED to get an evolution together if so would be Plusle and Minun and Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan. Possible Throh and Sawk. Those are defined together. But things which we associated by the fans, as has been discussed, no.

I might say Seviper and Zangoose, but I could see one getting an evo without the other.
  22. PapillonReel

PapillonReel

That just gives us something to look forward to in Gen VII. :P

Though to be honest, I don't really see Eviolite Pinsir outclassing Heracross. I mean, it still has STAB Close Combat, Guts, and neutrality to Stealth Rock; that's got to count for something, right?

Oh man. I can just imagine how big of a shit-storm that would kick up on release day. People would go absolutely nuts.

(Team Seviper for life!)

EDIT:
    You forgot Hitmontop. How disgraceful.
  23. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego Living in a world gone plastic
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

Seviper could actually wind up being pretty cool competitively, with a really nice movepool of sludge bomb, flamethrower, giga drain, earthquake, dark pulse, crunch, aqua tail, etc. An evolution could be like some kind of nidoking 2.0. Offensive poison-types are so lacking in pokemon...
  24. cantab

cantab

It would be the combination that could leave Heracross in the dust, Pinsir2 having superior attacking stats (and maybe a new secondary type) while Eviolite Pinsir has superior bulk. Though it does depend on exactly what Pinsir2 gets.

Generally it's easy to point to a Pokemon and say "that needs a buff", but a buff for one is liable to be effectively a nerf for others. There's only so much room in OU.
  25. Rayquaza_

Rayquaza_

This.
    In fact, I don't get why mushroom pokemon are grass-types.
    Mushrooms are fungi, not plants. Way to spread misinformation among children (and, quite sadly, grown ups too...) GameFreak!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)