1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -NLMRY-

-NLMRY-

Bioluminiscent mushroom says the "light" type can go to hell.

EDIT: because wanted to jump into the story discussion.

I honestly think all of the villainous teams since Rocket have been rather cheesy. I guess I just really dislike the world domination aspect that the games have taken on. And Silver was the best rival, if you can call him that. That he was misguided and followed the "wrong" path but changed through his experiences was really cool and seemed more to the point of the series. I'd like more character development like that. I guess N was kind of the same way and perhaps it's the nostalgia talking...but anyway, less world domination, more mafia thugs and angsty youths
  2. PME

PME

For some reason I get the feeling XY are gonna have a very "light" storyline. As for the main villains, maybe they'll be less "Let's take over the world by force" and more "Slowly but surely on the down low" like Gen 1's TR.
  3. Belbazoar

Belbazoar

I could see the bioluminescent mushroom actually being Electric/Poison more then Electric/Grass
  4. cantab

cantab

Yeah, I'd like to see the bad guys try something other than awakening ancient legendaries. That was fresh and new in Ruby and Sapphire, but then we had basically the same thing in Diamond and Pearl. Black and White put a bit of a new spin on it, only for Black 2 and White 2 to return to the same by-now stale idea.

I fear sensitivities would nix the idea, but I reckon a bunch of covert terrorists would make a good evil team. As you're going about your usual gym quest, you hear reports of various destructive events happening about the region, and it's a great mystery who or what is behind them. You're then charged with investigating things and bringing the perpetrators to justice. The evil teams thus far have been pretty overt, it'd be neat to have someone you don't instantly recognise when you see them.
  5. kazzafan

kazzafan

I dont know why the Poketch was not used after Gen 4 ...
  6. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

Cause the C-Gear exists now.
  7. Vashimus

Vashimus

To be fair, in the Japanese versions of the games, wild Electabuzz can only be found in Red (Power Plant), wild Magmar can only be found in Green (Pokemon Mansion) and wild Jynx could only be found on Blue (Seafoam Islands), while Yellow had none of them. Red and Green provided the version exclusives for the international release of Red and Blue (as well as their remakes FireRed and LeafGreen) while Blue provided the graphical and script updates.

I don't know why Jynx didn't get an evolution either. Probably thought her stats were fine as is.
  8. Vashimus

Vashimus

Then why the hell did you tell us "People, just stop."? Don't say we're free to speculate and then just tell us to shut up.

Forget it. It's whatever at his point. You wanna disagree, fine. I don't think either of them needs an evo tbh.
  9. PapillonReel

PapillonReel

He didn't say you can't speculate. He said to stop treating patterns as an absolute truth. And he's right! People use MUH PATTERNS to shoot down speculation all the time when Gamefreak has proven they'll break from it whenever it's convenient. Dusclops vs. Banette is the best and most notable example - they're version exclusives right next to each other in the Pokedex with the exact same BST, yet they went ahead and only evolved one of the two when D/P rolled around. It doesn't help that a lot of the patterns people use are only assumed, like Miltank and Tauros.

In other words, it's fine to say that it's more likely they'll both evolve because x reasons, but don't assume it's guaranteed - so long as it doesn't require a retcon or break the game's balance*, Gamefreak has proven that they'll add whatever Pokemon they feel like to a game if they have a working design.

*And even then, it didn't stop them from introducing overpowered monsters like SB Blaziken.

And as for why people are disagreeing with you on this specific case:

You're making a false equivalency based on their BST alone, and not taking into account stat distribution, typing, movepool or abilities. Heracross has a viable niche as a Guts sweeper and it (as well as other Pokemon; hello Haxorus) outclass Pinsir by a wide margin. Giving the latter an evolution to help catch up to the power creep would be perfectly in line with Gamefreak's M.O., and lord only knows it needs it.

Then again, Gamefreak might very well give Heracross an evo and ignore Pinsir altogether. You never know~
  10. cantab

cantab

Heracross and Pinsir are so similar though that if Pinsir gets an evo and Heracross doesn't, we'd probably all be complaining about how badly Heracross was outclassed by Pinsir2 and Eviolite Pinsir.
  11. shockwave527

shockwave527

The only things I'd say would NEED to get an evolution together if so would be Plusle and Minun and Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan. Possible Throh and Sawk. Those are defined together. But things which we associated by the fans, as has been discussed, no.

I might say Seviper and Zangoose, but I could see one getting an evo without the other.
  12. PapillonReel

PapillonReel

That just gives us something to look forward to in Gen VII. :P

Though to be honest, I don't really see Eviolite Pinsir outclassing Heracross. I mean, it still has STAB Close Combat, Guts, and neutrality to Stealth Rock; that's got to count for something, right?

Oh man. I can just imagine how big of a shit-storm that would kick up on release day. People would go absolutely nuts.

(Team Seviper for life!)

EDIT:
    You forgot Hitmontop. How disgraceful.
  13. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego I'm not ready 4 freddy
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

Seviper could actually wind up being pretty cool competitively, with a really nice movepool of sludge bomb, flamethrower, giga drain, earthquake, dark pulse, crunch, aqua tail, etc. An evolution could be like some kind of nidoking 2.0. Offensive poison-types are so lacking in pokemon...
  14. cantab

cantab

It would be the combination that could leave Heracross in the dust, Pinsir2 having superior attacking stats (and maybe a new secondary type) while Eviolite Pinsir has superior bulk. Though it does depend on exactly what Pinsir2 gets.

Generally it's easy to point to a Pokemon and say "that needs a buff", but a buff for one is liable to be effectively a nerf for others. There's only so much room in OU.
  15. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

Ok hitmonlee and hitmonchan? No, those are interconnected tyrouge. They can't evolve. Anyway, throh and sawk are prime subjects for an evo/prevo, as well as sableye and mawile. Actually throh and sawk might not even need evolutions, since their problems are less bad stats and more bad movepool, as throh imo needs better recovery and sawk needs more speed. Ok, so maybe they might need evolutions. Sableye and mawile though are prime examples of things that deserve evolutions. They both have the expandable ideas required for evolution, and sableye may or may not be making a comeback in the new movie.
    I also think sudowoodo and mr.mime are linked. Definitely, actually. Same gen alt. prevos, opposite stats, they are in the perfect position for evolutions, and this gen is going to have a lot of evolutions.
  16. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

Team Zangoose all the way. Anyway, not evolving them both sounds horrible, so I'm crossing my fingers another pokemon doesn't get left in the dust this time.
  17. -NLMRY-

-NLMRY-

I think most people are well aware that mushrooms are fungi and not plants. I mean his name is Foonguss (or however it's spelled). I see your point but at the same time they're not all poisonous either but they do grow in fields/forests so either type works for me.
  18. Vashimus

Vashimus

Fungi type for Gen 6?
  19. b2j135

b2j135

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

In any rate...since Saybleye is getting some attention, I do TRULY think it'll get an evolution.
    What kind of stat spread do you think it may get?
    Maybe something like what happened with Porygon-2 going to Porygon-Z, more offensive. Or maybe it'll just get bulkier and have some decent attacks stats to use.
    What do you guys think?
  20. Bearded Dragonite

Bearded Dragonite

Even if the evolution itself is terrible, we'll still have Prankster Sableye with Eviolite! :D
    But yeah - I see it being far more offensively inclined, like Honchkrow (Though I hope it's faster than Honchkrow!)
  21. AvatarMew

Yes!!! Plusle evo for 6th gen! :heart:
  22. AvatarMew

Yes!!! Plusle evo for 6th gen! :heart:

I don't see any point in a Sawk or Throh evo... I would more see them getting baby forms.
  23. Vashimus

Vashimus

I was gonna say the same thing. Probably no Sableye for LC though. :(
  24. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

Ugh no one has discussed a scyther pre evo yet? It only makes sense that a small bug should come out of an egg instead of the big scary mantis. Also imagine it in LC:
    [​IMG]
  25. shockwave527

shockwave527

I'm not saying I want any of these, I'm just saying that these would be the only sets that, if GF chose to Evolve/prevolve them, they'd ACTUALLY need to do both.

Plusle and Minun ARE related. Same with the hitmons, and possibly throh/sawk. Also, another two I forgot are Lunatone and Solrock. But things like Pinsir/Heracross? Even though they are often associated, they are not connected like these other ones to where they'd HAVE to evolve together.

Speaking of which, what do you guys think of Lunatone/Solrock evos?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)