1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

While I would agree there are some very creative ideas in the 5th Gen, namely the very first fully-evolved pure Dragon type, Haxorus and one of my fav Gen 5 Pokemon, the Deerling/Sawsbuck evolutionary chain. Another original idea is the first-of-its-kind Galvantula. There is also the rustling grass, though that usually houses "Chansey-lite". One other thing to consider when judging B/W on their merits is the story: in my opinion, the story line for B/W was the most enjoyable one yet.
    Nevertheless, the idea that Game Freak is not running out of ideas is a little unrealistic. It seems the further away from the first gen we get, the more similarities we see. It is incredibly evident even in the very first routes you embark on in B/W. The composition of the types of Pokemon you face is pretty much as it was in R/B compounded with the Hoenn games' starter routes as well. Patrat=Rattata, Lilipup=Zigzagoon, Pidove=Pidgey, Purrlion=Poochyena, Sewaddle=Caterpie, Venipede=Weedle...need I go on?
    While they do field some new ideas, GameFreak is running out of steam in general--which is bound to happen after 6 Gens. They are now nearly 650 Pokemon in and soon to be more after the release of X and Y. It is incredibly hard to maintain originality for that long.
  2. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

Do you know why every gen we have generic rats, birds and bugs? Cause its a tradition. Thats also why we have a 3rd game and remakes. Theyre not running out of ideas, theyre just following a trend.
  3. Infernis

Infernis

Dudebro, there's always a shitty normal type at the beginning. Ratatta, Sentret, Zigzagoon, Bidoof, and Patrat. There's always a normal/flying bird around the beginning. Pidgey, Hoothoot, Taillow, Starly, and Pidove. There's always a bug that goes from terrible to mediocre: Caterpie/Weedle, Wurmple, Burmy, Combee, and Sewaddle/Venipede.

It's not 'running out of ideas' if it's the same idea they had before. Every region needs its common birds and bugs, you know.
  4. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

And they're not even that samey. They're based on different animals, different ideas, different stat layouts, etc

It's like saying that most water types being fish are gamefreak running out of ideas
  5. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

You may want to look up the stats for all the pokemon you call "similar". Lilipup is nothing close to zigzagoon, and every first route bird has different stat spreads anyway. Venipede isn't weedle. Venipede is a centipede, and weedle is a larvae. sewaddle is a completely new concept. Maybe similar to caterpie's larval concept, but it's not similar in any other way. So, don't go on with your "they're running out of ideas" argument when you don't have your facts straight anyway.
    What I would like is the return of a gen 3 style beginning game, where there's a huge variety of pokemon to catch before you even get to the first gym. Two or more towns before the first gym would be nice also, as well as a forest or cave, because late-game caves/slogfests(routes to your next destination that go on forever ex: going to snowpoint, going to fortree) can be really annoying due to the increased trainer party size.
  6. cantab

cantab

I don't really think of stats as part of the design though, they're not as visible as the appearance or even the typing.

There are certain "niches" that always appear, like early bug, early rodent, early bird, annoying cave bat, annoying sea Pokemon, pseudo-legendary, and so on. I'd say the rodents do very well in diversity both in appearance and in typing (Poochyena, Shinx, arguable Bibarel); I suppose Linoone is rather like Furret. The bugs were worst in Ruby and Sapphire, Beautifly and Dustox being too similar to Butterfree and Venomoth I feel, and DP only really brought more gimmicky evolutions, but BW gave some new ideas, as had Gold and Silver. It's the early birds that I feel really struggle on the diversity, they're all Normal/Flying and only Noctowl stands out from the crowd in appearance.
  7. BloodGod22

BloodGod22

Have there ever been fan made pokemon that were incorporated into the game?
    I know there have been recycled pokemon designs from earlier generations that didn't make the cut back then, but were modified and added in later generations.

However I have never heard of a fan made pokemon ever being added to the game.
  8. TheKAM1993

TheKAM1993

The only thing they have put into a game that a Fan had to do with was Draco Meteor.
  9. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

Well, that could be, but for Gen 5 we are back to the equivalent of Machamp and Golem, the three-stage-trade-to-evolve-the-last-time Rock and Fight Pokemon, Gigalith and Conkeldurr. We also see the re-appearance of Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee in Sawk and Throh. There is also the obvious Audino and Chansey connection I mentioned earlier. Also, the Klink and Magnemite similarities are hard to ignore along with Bouffalant and Tauros. I almost forgot, Zubat and Woobat. These are just examples of idea recycling from the first Gen alone.
    Where GameFreak may have been falling back on a tradition with the first routes, these further similarities are hardly tradition, as this is the first time they reappear. They are merely a recycled form of the old idea with new stats and abilities for the fans to call new, to fill a slot in a new Gen. When I talk about running out of ideas, I mean it stylistically, not statistically, you see, it is easy to put new stats on a similar Pokemon and call it new.
  10. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

That was the idea with Gen 5. A throwback to Gen 1.
  11. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

Isn't that easy though? You can hide a dwindling idea supply behind an homage. Perhaps X and Y will show us how they are doing.
  12. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

And thats speculative at best. Were they out of ideas? Were they truly wanting to make fresh new start while paying homage to gen 1? Well work with what we know, and what we know is that Gen 5 was made as a throwback.
  13. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

It isn't speculation to say that X and Y will tell us whether or not Gamefreak has run out of ideas
  14. Flareon

Flareon

Wait, really?

I'm actually curious about this, would you happen to know more about it?
  15. Glurak93

Glurak93

If you dislike gen 5, fine, it's your opinion, but to say they run out of ideas as a fact is simply wrong.
    Like the others said, the examples you gave do not show gamefreak running out of ideas but following traditions they do since the very beginning. If you say those things about gen 5 then you would also say it about gen 2, which also had a common bird, an early rodent, bugs, a legendary trio, a pseudo legendary etc. Dont state opinions as facts cause thats ridiculous.

@ flareon: yeah the time before diamond and pearl were released there was a contest in japan where people should think up a dragon type attack and send their idea to gamefreak. The winner was draco meteor.
  16. melvni

melvni
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Here you go.
  17. blitzlefan

blitzlefan shake it off!

Hmmm... all this talk about bad sprites and them being unoriginal... this is what happens when we don't have news lol

So... *tries to change subject slightly* what specific sprites do you guys think were bad?
  18. Glurak93

Glurak93

Bad sprites.
    Besides some sprites in rgb the worst sprite imo was raikou in gs. That face....
  19. cantab

cantab

Feraligatr's Silver sprite always seemed cramped to me, as though the Pokemon is being squeezed into the 56-pixel box, hunched over.
  20. Chaoswalker

Chaoswalker

Real talk everyone, there's no such thing as Game Freak running out of ideas. A single person runs out of ideas. A company that has existed for years and brings in/swaps out employees doesn't "run out of ideas." Everyone stuck for what to do new? New project director!

What is possible is that they are afraid to change a time tested formula.
  21. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

I have nothing against Gen 5. All I was stating is that there is the reuse of old ideas in the Pokemon of that generation. Perhaps it was purely out of a want to connect to the past Generations, but my opinion:
    Show Hide
    The PR front that created the idea of a past connection stemmed from a drying bed of ideas in an attempt to get away with a little less originality.

That is my thought, opinion. Pure speculation. I recognize I am a pessimist, so if you disagree, then you disagree. I never do actually state it as fact, I only build an argument with pertinent examples to explain my point and validate it.
    I would like to point out, even though the common bug and rodent Pokemon were present in Gen 2 and 3, the variation in appearance and style is quite large. In the next two games, that difference between the Pokemon and their Gen 1 equivalents began to diminish (all save Shinx and the bug commons).
  22. Yveltal

Yveltal

The conversation is now going in painfully obvious circles.

WE'VE run out of ideas.
  23. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

so guys what do you think sylveons type is gonna be
  24. Infernis

Infernis

Err... neither raccoons nor hyena are rodents. So that's actually a pretty big deviation for gen 3. But yeah, this has been talked about before.

Since this is France, I wonder if we'll be getting any weird spindly poodles.
  25. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

Neither are ferrets. The first route "rodent" is sort of a misnomer, but it gets the point across. It's just easier than "that two stage normal type on the first route". It's only in recent generations that rodents specifically have become the norm.
    Imo the biggest diversion is Bibarel with his secondary Water typing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)