1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaps

kaps

I actually sort of disagree. Every generation there seems to be a few lazy pokemon designs, and I feel that in their quest to reach over 100 different designs each time they ran into some problems. Examples are from every generation, from the first generation tendency to just use multiple of the previous evolution as a second second evolution (diglett to dugtrio, magnemite to magneton) and sludge piles to the fifth generation's infamous use of trash and ice cream cones. Not to mention they still just added multiple, larger gears to the klink line. Lazy designs aren't exclusive to any generation, but at the same time it would be false to say that they've never had at least some trouble coming up with new ideas to put into each game. But then after they release that game, they have a bunch of time again to continue working with designs which didn't make the cut that time around as well as to create entirely new and well-thought out ones.
  2. kupo555

kupo555

I thought overall Turner's contributions were admirable. Golurk became one of my favorite pokemon ever, and the Vullaby design is super cute and clever. Admittedly, the Vanilluxe line is one of my least favorite ever, but even that I can't blame them for trying. I mean, another one of my very favorite pokemon is Chandelure (and his whole line is fantastic), and they were based off an odd inanimate object to draw inspiration from, too.

I think all we're establishing here is that taste differs a lot, because nobody can seem to agree on which designs are "bad." I know several listed are ones I appreciate (I especially tend to hear some of the Gan IV evos getting shit, but I think Magnezone and Electivire are among the coolest pokemon ever, and I think Mr. Cannon-arm is a huge improvement over his butt-headed predecessor). Different strokes.

I will agree, though, some fan contests would be splendid. If you spend a lot of time looking up fakemon (and I do...too much, lol), it becomes undeniably clear that there are plenty of creative fans out there doing work absolutely on par with GF. I've seen countless fakemon designs that were more clever, more thoughtful, and more aesthetically compelling than a lot of GF's stuff. That said, I think GF has remained pretty consistent gen to gen. You're always going to have some winners and some clunkers.
  3. b2j135

b2j135

Well he didn't work for Game Freak BEFORE 2010, so he really is the closet one. I do agree that they should hold a contest or something for the next Generation of Pokemon for fans to create.
    Maybe something similar to what was GOING to happen with MegaMan Legends 3.
  4. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

I really like the idea of Game Freak accepting fan-made designs for official Pokémon. I, for example, have a lot of ideas, many of them that could be good for the metagame and for the casual fans at same time.
  5. Yveltal

Yveltal

Uhmm... yes he did. He was the art director, or something along those lines, for Gale of Darkness and had an important role amongst Game Freak's third party developers. He got some designs made into actual Pokemon for being such a good person. As far as Game Freak successfully pulling off what Capcom seems to enjoy failing to do, the fan support of people who would want to make something that's true to Satoshi Tajiri's initial design is definitely there. I'm all for the idea of a fanmade Pokedex, if only to make is all happier.
  6. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

Fan-made designs getting official? No. I want to see what the developers can do. Its ok if they make like one contest for a single pokemon but that can not become a trend. This will lead to lazyness and we all know what happens when a company gets lazy. GameFreak still has a bunch of concepts that havent be used yet. Lets see what they can do.
  7. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Also let's get real, there are a ton of absolutely awful fan designs and seeing the fandom bend over backwards to like/hate the chosen design would be equally awful.
  8. Yveltal

Yveltal

Yeah, but that happens with a lot of franchises and shows that do fan-based competitions. The most popular contestant/design/idea gets added in, and we all see how it turns out. You act like everyone in the community is going to turn against each other if they allowed fans to submit ideas.
  9. R_N

R_N

I'm not saying this at all?
    I'm saying probably one of two things would happen:
    -They would love the design, even if it's something they'd normally consider bad, just because it's ~fan-designed~ & therefore better than those stupid uncreative designs gamefreak pumps out.
    -They would hate the design irrationally and nitpick even harder than already happens with actual designs (maybe they hate the idea on principle, maybe they hate that -their- [favorite] design wasn't picked, etc)

thus "bend over backwards to like/hate"
    The fandom already hates each other, adding in fan-designs won't change that.
    It would just be an all new really obnoxious addition. And I know a thing or two about people being obnoxious!
  10. Yveltal

Yveltal

And that potential nitpicking/hipsteresque fawning over fanmade Pokemon would be worse than the present complaining about how there isn't a dolphin or a capybara Pokemon, or how unoriginal and bland Castform looks to people who don't know what a teru teru bozu is? The arguments about any one Pokemon's design on face value alone are pretty tired. Officially licensed fanmade Pokemon, as far as I can see, will only add another level of questioning about the inner workings of Game Freak. Were they looking for something to match a certain habitat? Did they want new evolutions for old Pokemon? Lawless bitching aside about why my dragon didn't get picked over that one kid's fish, it would give us the ability to talk more about the business side of making a new generation.
  11. BloodGod22

BloodGod22

It's painful to watch the fanbase chew on eachother because of the lack of new info on gen VI.

Atleast its better than talking about the dreaded Light or Fairy types *throws holy water at them as they hiss*!
  12. R_N

R_N

I...didn't say it would be any worse? Just that it would be an obnoxious addition [to already obnoxious discussion].
    We know a fair amount about this from interviews throughout the 5th generation, actually! (sidenote: I hope we get even more for gen 6) We know they do keep in mind the number of types (eg: Turner created the vanill line to add additional ice types to the pokedex; Jellicient became ghost type for similar reasons) and area distribution (intertwined with point A, the basculine & jellicient lines got form/gender differences to add more variety to the water routes).
    I suspect choosing a fan design (assuming they didn't implement large restrictions in the first place) would follow under the same categories: we want more <x> type, we want something for this route type, we want etc

I suppose another thing to keep in mind with a would-be contest is: what about the designs not picked. What if a design submitted, but not chosen, looks/has a similar idea to a future pokemon that isn't credited since technically it's not the same? Would they just not follow through with any design that would match/be similar to any of the thousands of design submissions?
  13. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

While I would agree there are some very creative ideas in the 5th Gen, namely the very first fully-evolved pure Dragon type, Haxorus and one of my fav Gen 5 Pokemon, the Deerling/Sawsbuck evolutionary chain. Another original idea is the first-of-its-kind Galvantula. There is also the rustling grass, though that usually houses "Chansey-lite". One other thing to consider when judging B/W on their merits is the story: in my opinion, the story line for B/W was the most enjoyable one yet.
    Nevertheless, the idea that Game Freak is not running out of ideas is a little unrealistic. It seems the further away from the first gen we get, the more similarities we see. It is incredibly evident even in the very first routes you embark on in B/W. The composition of the types of Pokemon you face is pretty much as it was in R/B compounded with the Hoenn games' starter routes as well. Patrat=Rattata, Lilipup=Zigzagoon, Pidove=Pidgey, Purrlion=Poochyena, Sewaddle=Caterpie, Venipede=Weedle...need I go on?
    While they do field some new ideas, GameFreak is running out of steam in general--which is bound to happen after 6 Gens. They are now nearly 650 Pokemon in and soon to be more after the release of X and Y. It is incredibly hard to maintain originality for that long.
  14. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

Do you know why every gen we have generic rats, birds and bugs? Cause its a tradition. Thats also why we have a 3rd game and remakes. Theyre not running out of ideas, theyre just following a trend.
  15. Infernis

Infernis

Dudebro, there's always a shitty normal type at the beginning. Ratatta, Sentret, Zigzagoon, Bidoof, and Patrat. There's always a normal/flying bird around the beginning. Pidgey, Hoothoot, Taillow, Starly, and Pidove. There's always a bug that goes from terrible to mediocre: Caterpie/Weedle, Wurmple, Burmy, Combee, and Sewaddle/Venipede.

It's not 'running out of ideas' if it's the same idea they had before. Every region needs its common birds and bugs, you know.
  16. R_N

R_N

And they're not even that samey. They're based on different animals, different ideas, different stat layouts, etc

It's like saying that most water types being fish are gamefreak running out of ideas
  17. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

You may want to look up the stats for all the pokemon you call "similar". Lilipup is nothing close to zigzagoon, and every first route bird has different stat spreads anyway. Venipede isn't weedle. Venipede is a centipede, and weedle is a larvae. sewaddle is a completely new concept. Maybe similar to caterpie's larval concept, but it's not similar in any other way. So, don't go on with your "they're running out of ideas" argument when you don't have your facts straight anyway.
    What I would like is the return of a gen 3 style beginning game, where there's a huge variety of pokemon to catch before you even get to the first gym. Two or more towns before the first gym would be nice also, as well as a forest or cave, because late-game caves/slogfests(routes to your next destination that go on forever ex: going to snowpoint, going to fortree) can be really annoying due to the increased trainer party size.
  18. cantab

cantab

I don't really think of stats as part of the design though, they're not as visible as the appearance or even the typing.

There are certain "niches" that always appear, like early bug, early rodent, early bird, annoying cave bat, annoying sea Pokemon, pseudo-legendary, and so on. I'd say the rodents do very well in diversity both in appearance and in typing (Poochyena, Shinx, arguable Bibarel); I suppose Linoone is rather like Furret. The bugs were worst in Ruby and Sapphire, Beautifly and Dustox being too similar to Butterfree and Venomoth I feel, and DP only really brought more gimmicky evolutions, but BW gave some new ideas, as had Gold and Silver. It's the early birds that I feel really struggle on the diversity, they're all Normal/Flying and only Noctowl stands out from the crowd in appearance.
  19. BloodGod22

BloodGod22

Have there ever been fan made pokemon that were incorporated into the game?
    I know there have been recycled pokemon designs from earlier generations that didn't make the cut back then, but were modified and added in later generations.

However I have never heard of a fan made pokemon ever being added to the game.
  20. TheKAM1993

TheKAM1993

The only thing they have put into a game that a Fan had to do with was Draco Meteor.
  21. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

Well, that could be, but for Gen 5 we are back to the equivalent of Machamp and Golem, the three-stage-trade-to-evolve-the-last-time Rock and Fight Pokemon, Gigalith and Conkeldurr. We also see the re-appearance of Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee in Sawk and Throh. There is also the obvious Audino and Chansey connection I mentioned earlier. Also, the Klink and Magnemite similarities are hard to ignore along with Bouffalant and Tauros. I almost forgot, Zubat and Woobat. These are just examples of idea recycling from the first Gen alone.
    Where GameFreak may have been falling back on a tradition with the first routes, these further similarities are hardly tradition, as this is the first time they reappear. They are merely a recycled form of the old idea with new stats and abilities for the fans to call new, to fill a slot in a new Gen. When I talk about running out of ideas, I mean it stylistically, not statistically, you see, it is easy to put new stats on a similar Pokemon and call it new.
  22. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

That was the idea with Gen 5. A throwback to Gen 1.
  23. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

Isn't that easy though? You can hide a dwindling idea supply behind an homage. Perhaps X and Y will show us how they are doing.
  24. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

And thats speculative at best. Were they out of ideas? Were they truly wanting to make fresh new start while paying homage to gen 1? Well work with what we know, and what we know is that Gen 5 was made as a throwback.
  25. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

It isn't speculation to say that X and Y will tell us whether or not Gamefreak has run out of ideas
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)