1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yveltal

Yveltal

Rattata-a rat/mouse/gerbil who evolves into a rat
    Sentret-a raccoon/meerkat who evolves into a ferret/longcat
    Zigzagoon-a raccoon who evolves into a ferret/badger
    Bidoof-a beaver/badger who evolves into a beaver
    Patrat-a squirrel/rat/meerkat who evolves into a glow stick a meerkat.

Why isn't anybody calling them the Route 1 vermin?
  2. Rotom3GS

Rotom3GS

Has anybody even looked closely at Froakie's "Water Gun"?
    Because if you have, you will have seen SNOWFLAKES!
    The attack was ICE BEAM!
    Ice type frog anyone?
  3. Yveltal

Yveltal

[​IMG]

The pointed crystal-looking things accompanying the pillar during froakie's attack are meant to be rings of froth. However, it's harder to replicate good looking froth in a 3D game than it is in other 3D mediums, especially when it's likely that the footage used in that commercial was still a few steps away from the final product. We know it's a Water-type attack, because a gushing sound is played while it is executed. This has been inferred and decided upon to be as close to factual evidence as we can get pointing towards the conclusion that, while it is within the realm of possibility that Forakie can evolve into a Water/Ice type (is he blue raspberry flavored?), the technique used in the commercial is more than likely a Water-attributed technique instead of an Ice-technique.

God, i'm so sick to death of this. Game Freak needs to give us an update on their footage and put this rumor to rest.

EDIT: This is not a funny joke. I get so mad at this stuff because I studied the footage several times to look for pointers for my school projects. Nobody notices the blue spirals encircling the pillar, the fact that the froth rings change from light blue to blue, or the rough splashing animations that happen when it hits Pansear. I'm sleeping at night because I'm sure that Game Freak is working on a much more fluid animation with smarter particle effects. To me, it was pretty obvious that he was using either Water Gun or Hydro Pump, but I can see where people who don't study games, commercial advertising, or animation would get confused and try to read between the lines. GF would have to feel an intense level of shame if that animation is a part of their final product. I just don't want to wait until October to see for myself.
  4. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

You know what's funny? Sigilyph's original design was even busier. IIRC, someone pointed out to Sugimori it had too much going on and he had to re-draw it.

And Yveltal, I believe that was a joke about us going in circles.

lol_why_u_mad_tho.jpg
  5. Scorpio

Scorpio

^My thoughts EXACTLY. Except that GF needs to give us an update PERIOD.
  6. cantab

cantab

Considering how bad the battle graphics were in BW, I don't think they have any shame in that respect.
  7. shockwave527

shockwave527

I don't understand why people keep saying these things

If this is france, we should have…
    Knights
    Poodles
    Baguettes
    Skinny Moustache Pokemon

Remember, the last region was based off NY. Did we get any typically AMERICAN pokemon? Save Vannillish (and I think ice cream is pretty much EVERYWHERE) we didn't get anything american. We got the same random pokemon we always do to fit the game.

I highly doubt they are making pokemon designs based off of French animals just because the region may be France.

Note to people who don't like me saying this
    Yes you are allowed to speculate
    Yes you can have your own ideas
    But I am pointing out the rediculousity of these ideas

Do I think a poodle pokemon would be cool? Absolutely. It lends itself well to a lot of different design choices. Same with a Knight or many of the other ideas. All possible.

Do I think they may do it? Possibly. As likely as anything else.

Do I think they'll do it this gen? Could be.

Do I think they'll do it this gen BECAUSE IT'S FRANCE? No. Not at all. They'll do it because it fits well with the other ideas that they have.

Ok, this was one of the FIRST THINGS MENTIONED in the thread. If your not even going to take the time to ASK someone what's been said or glance through (because most of the things new guys bring up have been discussed for many pages), please just DON'T. Given the length and speculative nature of this page, ask what's been said before jumping into the slaughterfest.

I'm pretty sure this was confirmed already in a magazing or website (link was a WHILE back) that the moves were Water Gun, Flamethrower, and Solar Beam. Maybe it was Hydro Pump, but I at least remember it being confirmed.
  8. eriados

eriados

Buddy, and I'm saying this with all due respect, you need to get outside.
  9. shockwave527

shockwave527

But… but… Top Percentage!

Also, cool poke idea:
    Russian Nesting Doll Pokemon

I think this may have been said before, and if it has, I apologize. If I must, I will, for shaming myself, kill myself like a true samurai (or ninja. Is it ninja's or samurai's who do this? I forget. Maybe I'll just… jump of a table or something. That sound good?)
  10. RitterCat

RitterCat
    is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

Braviary?
  11. cantab

cantab

Bouffalant, Rufflet, and Braviary.

We know XY have a frog line, though the implications of that in a France-themed region are unfortunate. Other candidate concepts I reckon:

A grass type based on grapes or vines.
    A grass type based on onions.
    A part-fire humanoid known as the "Riot Pokemon". (OK this is a bit unfair.)
    Maybe they could make something loosely based around the TGV, or trains in general. Fire/Electric Torkoal evo perhaps.
  12. shockwave527

shockwave527

Ok, Bouffalant is arguable, and I don't think "American" when I think "Afro" (more "Afro" = African), but Braviary just flew right over my head.

So they represent our Flag, our pollution problems and our obesity issues. That leads to what pokemon based on france?
  13. Yveltal

Yveltal

Ms. thang, don't play that card with me. I'm quite passionate about video game animation. It's my profession. I'm sorry if I let a troll get to me, but it's a sensetive and very tired subject.

Anyway, because I had an idea that doesn't ruffle any of my feathers, I've got a new idea about the potential gym types.
    Not counting the Striaton gym, there are 41 gyms that specialize in a certain type. Some are slightly more abundant than others. Each of the following numbers corresponds to the number of gym leaders (again, not counting Cilan, Chili and Cress) Of the type to the left of the number.
    Grass-2
    Water-4
    Fire-2
    Electric-4
    Rock-3
    Poison-2
    Psychic-2
    Ground-2
    Flying-3
    Bug-2
    Normal-3
    Ghost-2
    Fighting-3
    Steel-2
    Ice-3
    Dragon-2
    Before Gen V, there were 2 or 3 of each of the sixteen types used in gyms. Gen V made a weird imbalance, and Game Freak might look to balance it out by using gyms with the less popular types. I'd like to think that Fire, Poison, Psychic, Bug, Steel, Dragon, Ghost, and Ground will all be used since they're eight of the nine most underused, but that's unlikely. Electric seems to be the company's personal favorite, so I wouldn't be surprised if the third or fourth gym is another Electric gym.
    Oh god...I do need to get outside...I guess conventions don't really count as outside.......
  14. breh

breh ● ︿ ●
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributor

It would be neat if it could be a mon with Swarm, since that makes flavor sense. Swarm forces bug-type and psychic fits well too. Illusion is also a neat choice and no guard could be flavored well if the inner matryoshka were to get out. In the end, we get:

Bug/Psychic
    Swarm/Illusion/No Guard

It could have fairly offensive stats, too, something along the lines of:

110/120/99/11..

Wait, I think I'm starting to go in the wrong direction here.
  15. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

Other people do read this thread... :P I know what you are referring too haha!

Also: Dark Type gym would be cool, unless they want to keep it as an exclusively Elite 4 members team style. Personally, I'd rather have an Electric Elite 4 than another Dark typed one....
  16. Ingo

Ingo

Just to clear up some misconceptions, not to bring up old news.
    Machamp and Conkeldurr, one is based off a body builder and wrestler, standing very tall, with origins in Hindu gods, the other based of ogresxconstruction workers. Both are humanoid, so I could see your confusion on those.
    However, Golem and Gigalith are another story.
    Golem is based off of a turtle, a turtle that was said to hold the world on its back in many mythologies, similar to Torterra. That idea was then mixed with a bolder and tectonic plates to form Golem.
    Gigalith on the other hand, doesn't have such a grand legend behind it (Not that that is bad) and is simply, but nicely, based of the crystal formations found in many caves, such as this
    [​IMG]

Hitmonchan, a personification of boxing, Hitmonlee, a personification of taekwondo. In comparison to Sawk, based on Mas Oyama, a Karate expert and Throh, based off of a Judo expert. The two former ones also have roots in Oni. To call them the same and just "Rehashes" is a shame to the fighting forms they are based off of. Are they all personifications of their fighting form? Yes they share that similarity. Are they unique? Yes

Klink, a pair of interlocking gears, also representing the simplest concept of the perpeptual motion machine, Magnemite based off of a magnet. From the first evolution you can see the differences. While Magneton is literally three Magnemites fused together from some great force, Klang is Gears coming together and interlocking in harmony. The final evolution is where the greatest differences lie. While magnezone becomes the equivalent of one great big magnet (not that that is bad), Klinklang becomes a complete working machinery of gears, far greater then Klink's rudimentary two gears. The only similarities the two share are being steel type, and being made of metal (as if that were not obvious). Any other things (Such as eyes or three stage evolution pattern) are shared by every Pokemon.

Bouffalant and Tauros, probably creating some of the biggest strife.

Tauros is a literal representation of the Zodiac Taurus, as well as a bull.
    Bouffalant is based off of a buffalo, more specifically, and American bisonxAfrican water buffalo. These two animals, while related on the evolutionary chain, are very different in species as well
  17. NoahStar

NoahStar

Allow me to list the numerous stereotypical American-themed Pokemon that were introduced in gen V:

Ruffet
    Braviary (obvious)
    Vulaby
    Mandibuzz
    Pidove
    Tranquil
    Unfezant
    Drilbur
    Excadrill (based off of the Eastern Mole found in texas)
    Timburr
    Gurdurr
    Conkeldurr (all based off of the New York industrial revolution)
    Scraggy
    Scrafty (hip-hop culture)
    Elgyem
    Beheeyem (Area 51)
    Golurk (may draw from the Iron Giant--and American made film)
    Bouffalant

Now, I don't know about you, but I definitely see a direct correlation to the 'American-based' region and the Pokemon that were introduced with it. I thought it would be pretty obvious. Now, one could nitpick and venture to say that the Vannilluxe family, the Stoutland family, and even the Garbador family all fit the New York theme but I wouldn't want to be too stereotypical.

Gen 5 also gave us a ton of typical American characters; the basketball, American Football, and Baseball NPCs, Burgh who's design draws from the classic pre-modern New York art scene, our first airplane pilot, Skyla, an evil organization that seems to be based off of PETA, and even Clay.....

So since it is in fact safe to assume that we might see some typical French-themed Pokemon and characters, I am really hoping that we see a Pokemon based off of the French Hawk. Maybe we'll see an evolution to Mr.Mime or an entirely different mime-based Pokemon or character.
  18. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

Pigeon's are sterotypically american?

As far as I know they come from Europe and Asia, and live, like, everywhere...
  19. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

Show Hide

I appreciate your standpoint here, however, I was looking at the Pokemon as Pokemon. Regardless of their inspiration, Gigalith and Golem have similar typing and the exact same evolutionary line. Does this mean that they are not different? No. All it means is that they are similar in composition. This is also the case for Machamp and Conkeldurr who hold the same typing and nearly the same evolutionary path. When viewed in conjuncture with Bouffalant and Taouros's similarity, as with Chansey and Audino, it should be noticed that on a broad level there is a pattern that connects Gen 1 with Gen 5.
    Does that mean they are the same? Again, no. You rightfully point out there are things that put them apart. However, things make them similar too, so you cannot just write off the big picture in favor of the details. With that being said, both of our points are valid, as the ideas are not really conflicting.
  20. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Basically, Conkeldurr and Machamp (and also the other pairs) are only similar in, say, Dex positioning. Just like "we need an early-route rodent!", Game Freak decided we needed parallels to some Gen I pokémon. I don't think that means they're running out of ideas and are trying to cover it with some "homage" excuse, but instead, that we needed some pokémon to fill in those roles that wouldn't be present in Unova otherwise, as their idea was of having no pre-BW pokémon in the region.

I mean, Gen V has the highest amount of newly-added pokémon. You could cut ~20 of them (and I'm being conservative here) if it weren't for that homage idea. If they were truly lacking on ideas, wouldn't they simply not make so many pokémon?
  21. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

I'm with the group saying that the insistence on not using any earlier-gen Pokémon pre E4 in Black&White, kinda hurt their feel of originality.

Look at the National dex, and scroll down the Gen. V bit (here, for instance). I'm being extremely harsh and broadly generalizing here, but I'd say that until you get to Zoroark, you've seen most Pokémon in the first half of the dex before. In concept, theme or game "role", you can draw parallels between very many Gen. V Pokémon and Pokémon from earlier generations. There's the bulky ghost, ubiquitous Watery fish, the moles, the tadpoles, weak Grass types, the fossils, and Purrloin basically is Glameow (I mean, seriously?). GameFreak needed certain niches to fill, niches that could be filled very well by existing Pokémon, but they created new ones instead, basically remaking a lot of earlier designs (again, I'm being extremely harsh, on purpose).

However, once you get beyond Zoroark, things start to become interesting. At this point in the game, variety starts to kick in. We've seen the mandatory roles, the 'mons that simply have to be there, now it's time to get creative. And how. We have psychic cells. Ice cream. Spooky chandeliers. Ants. Polar bears. Pokémon that evolve by mutual trade. Ancient robots. While you might say that some of the designs are ugly, they certainly aren't uncreative. It's just that we had to wade through a bunch of mandatory crap to get to them.

Gen. V could have done well with a tad fewer Pokémon. Some of the "copied" designs were creative enough, but they could have been moved to later in the game and buffed slightly. Not only did they look like designs we've seen before, they also did exactly the same, and that was what made me frown. It felt like some of the older 'mons were outright kicked out of their traditional roles, and abandoned without acknowledgement. Wouldn't it be a little cool if some trainers commented how Tympole were very similar to the Poliwag he had seen in Kanto? A scientist theorizing whether Luvdisc and Alomomola once were the same species? Zubats living in caves, alongside rarer Woobat? Hitmonchan sparring against Sawk? The new designs shouldn't be as dominating, complimenting the new ones instead of replacing them. This was done very well in BW2. The changes brought by a new generation didn't feel as overwhelming then, and the presence of old Pokémon complimented the Unovan fauna perfectly. Gen. V designs still dominated, but they weren't totally on their own. I hope GameFreak will do it that way in XY too. Keep the focus on the new 'mons, but without forgetting the old ones.
  22. thesynchrohero

thesynchrohero

Let me guess, Arumoth's stats ?
  23. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

@Cobraroll, Unova was designed to be a totally different region compared to the other games, but honestly, Animal Evolution is fairly convergent. Take any large land mass and compare it to another and similar evolutionary traits spring forth. Granted, real world examples are a little stretched when applied to pokemon, but the insistence is there.

European bats are different in style to South American ones (Zubat to Woobat). Animals generally repeat themselves (With differences, but the same mutual goal) across the wild, so why can't pokemon?

@TheSynchrohero, yes it is a reference to Aurumoth.
  24. SmashBrosBrawl

SmashBrosBrawl

Of course it dominated. The whole idea behind Gen V was starting fresh. To make it look like Gen 1, which means, a new adventure where you dont know any of the pokemons around.
  25. Flareon

Flareon

Am I crazy for wanting an alternate forme/ branch evolution for Shellder where it looks like the "Shellder" Slowbro/Slowking has?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)