1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cantab

cantab

I wonder if this is because Fire, Grass, Water, and Electric are probably the four best known types. Three of those have starters, so the fourth gets a regular gym slot. Plus it helps the whole "starter choice=difficulty" thing in the earlier games; grass does well, fire is neutral, water will struggle.

Oh yeah, Pokemon idea, I want a circular Pokemon with a 31/41/59/26/53/58 stat spread, with the evo having 62/83/18/53/71/79 . Competitive viability be damned!

Personally I took an instant dislike to Haxorus when my Fraxure evolved. Its proportions just look awkward. Like Salamence (who's a fatass), it's a Pokemon as ugly as it is powerful.

And having a Hydreigon will just get you teased when you say its name and the other kids say you're pronouncing it wrong.
  2. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

If you zoom in, even sand is different, but we still group them together as a whole. Now I bet you could stick your head in the sand and describe every single grain of sand and put up a brilliant argument why any one given piece of sand is different than the others. Each came from different rocks, different places, but when paired with other sand, their similarities dominate them, so it is just sand. You can be that person with his head in the sand individualizing every detail you see, but it is still sand.
    I understand your view, but a rehash is much more than just reusing the same Pokemon. They have already recolored Pokemon--they are shinies. If what you define as a rehash were the way we all saw it, there would be next to no rehashes of anything.
    A rehash is the reuse of a base concept, which despite Klink and Magnemite being based off of two totally different things, they are still very similar in the fact they are as Yveltal pointed out, levitating electromagnetic Pokemon. Klink, in that way is a total rehash of Magnemite. They do not have to look exactly the same to be a rehash. Physically they are different but beyond that the similarities fly. This is in no way bad, despite the similarities to Magnemite, I am a huge Klink fan.
    Nonetheless, this is the case with many Gen 5 Pokemon when related to a Gen 1 alternate. Sure they may not look the same or come from the same inspiration, but the core characteristics are very much the same. A lot of them even look very similar to their Gen 1 counterparts.
    I will agree that there are many creative Pokemon in Gen 5, I simply cannot argue against the glory that is Hydregion. Or Haxorus, Reuniclus, and though he may not be my favorite Gen 5'er, Golurk, for that matter. I do not mean to imply a total lack of creativity.
  3. Chaoswalker

Chaoswalker

So if there are going to be new abilities, and many pokemon already have 3 abilities, does that mean that some pokemon will be losing old abilities for new ones, that those pokemon simply won't get anything new, or that there is going to be yet another special method for obtaining abilities besides dream world?

Also, what if Dreamworld doesn't even return?
  4. Jacobzilla

Jacobzilla

I highly doubt that they'll take away existing abilities for pokemon, most likely they'll either not get a new ability or add a 4th one.
  5. shockwave527

shockwave527

He didn't forget about it. He said

16 types used, as in Dark type has never been used. Yet.

I really want a dark type gym this gen too, preferrably as the first or eighth gym, or twelfth if they finally take my idea and make 12 gyms instead of 8.

UNNECESSARY EDIT: 300 posts, all on this thread! Woohoo!
  6. dcae

dcae naughty list

I highly doubt they will bring back Dreamworld, it seems to be specific to Gen V. It will probably be like the Pokewalker in the fact that it is specific to the Gen or game. That being said, I can see them introducing something for Gen VI so that the new pokemon don't have less abilities than the older ones, and older ones that did not get new abilities will perhaps obtain new ones, hopefully Archeops.
  7. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

12 Gyms is an interesting idea, that would make the story four Gyms longer though. It would mandate the Elite Four be much much stronger to accommodate for the levels you gain in the four extra Gyms. We are talking like level 70-80's even. If they did not pump up the Elite Four, they would need to shorten and scrap many of the Trainers to fight to balance your level again.
    Overall, I love it when the Elite Four is gloriously strong, so the first scenario would be ideal. It would most certainly add some challenge to the game.
  8. Geodude6

Geodude6

You know what else would add some challenge? If they imposed some sort of penalty for a single Pokemon having disproportionately high levels compared to the rest of your team.
    My sister got Ruby for her birthday and completed the game in a week. She pretty much soloed the game with her Blaziken. Her Blaziken was level 72 when she finished the game. My team on LeadGreen was balanced, with levels in the high 50s. We like to battle each other but I always win, usually because of a type advantage on her Blaziken. I tell her to train more, but to her that just means "beat up the Elite Four a gazillion times until Blaziken levels up." It would be nice if there was something to discourage this. I realize Black and White had a "XP scaling" system where you get less XP the higher your levels are compared to your opponent's. IMO, that didn't really help. It is possible to have a level 40 Emboar at Elesa with little to no excess grinding. There needs to be something to discourage this. [/walloftext]
  9. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

No there doesn't. Not only would this prevent solo runs (the challenge kind), but it takes away the choice from players.
  10. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

I used a similar tactic in my first ever play through, the penalty? I could not beat Lorelei with a lv.70 Charizard...especially when all I used was Blast Burn. I now have like complete balance on my teams. I always have my "lead" usually my starter have a grand total of one level above the rest. I am told that is almost manic how I do this--I even did it when I IV eyeballing and EV trained my story line team in FireRed. However, experience taught me that to do well that is what you do.
    I do not know if GameFreak needs to do anything about this. I think that it is up to the person to learn what to do and not to do. One Pokemon against the same levels rarely wins you a fight...unless it is a Speed Boost Blaziken. Ordinarily, I have noticed that a single Pokemon can usually only take on three other Pokemon at same level at the very best, except when an incredible sweep is going on. That is something that must be learned yourself, I think.
  11. cantab

cantab

There already are other ways to get Hidden Abilities, with a few fixed encounters in BW and Hidden Grottos in BW2. The data structures also do support giving a Pokemon two hidden abilities. Game Freak could make them available in XY however they like - including abolishing any distinction and making them all possible from wild encounters.
  12. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

Come oooooon Technician Weavile...

You know, I'd like to see a Water Type 120 BP Recoil move like Flare Blitz and Wood Hammer. Some mons would really appreciate that I reckon.
    BASCULIN YEAH
  13. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

That would be a scary thought to all those powerful Dragons of OU, they could get shot dead in the middle of their sweeps by a Technician-boosted Ice Shard. That ability would just push Weavile to epic levels, enhancing the threatening nature that it already possesses
  14. blitzlefan

blitzlefan I remember it all too well...
    is a Pre-Contributor

I kind of like this idea, like a sort of training facility early game to help level up a little bit? But obviously if this were to occur, EXP rate would probably have to slow down some.
  15. aim2game

aim2game

I guess I am the odd man out since I think Chespin is the coolest of the 3 new starters. He looks the most original. We have yet to get a Grass rodent. Fennekin is a Fire fox just like Vulpix and Froakie is a Water frog which we have plenty of frogs (Croagunk, Seismitoad, Politoed) and plenty of Water amphibians.

I think I read that Pokemon XY will be set in an area akin to Europe, I get the impression it will be the British Isles and maybe some of France. Chespin I bet is a Hedgehog, very common in England, Foxes were common for hunting and Frogs were common from the water but also a reference to France.

Xerneas is the Stag a creature of legend in Aurthurian and Anglo/Celtic mythology. Yveltal is a Wyvern which is a type of dragon also common in Medieval folklore. Also Sylveon has the word Sylvan in the name which implies fey or faerie qualities. Nymphia implies fey qualities also. Something Anglo/Celtic mythology.

My wish for the next generation is a big wish but I would like to see some normalization among Pokemon so that more Pokemon are competitive in battles. I would also like to see weaker moves given greater utility. No one uses Confusion when there is Psychic... but if Confusion had a 70% chance to Confuse the enemy people might reconsider since it wouldn't be as weak once STAB is added and there is more utility with the high chance to Confuse. Battling is about min/maxing and status effects, it would be nice if there was more reward for taking chances and more reward for debuffing the enemy then just boosting and baton passing.

I also would love to see resistances/weaknesses less important. STAB 1.5, weakness 1.5 and super effective 2.0. That way having the correct attack isn't so much of a guarantee for a 1 hit KO.

Oh and my number 1 wish! REMOVE STEALTH ROCK!!!
  16. Farrac

Farrac

I think we've talked about this before, but evolving in the middle of a battle would be epic. Is there really any issue with that? Most of my pokemon evolve right after defeating a gym leader, imagine evolving DURING the battle.
  17. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

That happens a few times in the anime, and wow would it be cool if that were to extend to the games
  18. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

Yeah, and there's more than that. It would boost mispredicted pursuits, as well as turning Bite/Faint Attack into the strongest existing Dark Attack (excluding the inconsistent Foul Play). Low Sweep could be a more consistent Alternative to Low Kick, as well as lowering enemy speed, or at the very least the weaker Low Kicks would be boosted. He also has Fake Out, though I'm not sure it'd find use. Point is, he has a lot of things he can abuse.
    That he doesn't get Icicle Spear is kind of a shame though.
  19. blitzlefan

blitzlefan I remember it all too well...
    is a Pre-Contributor

bwahahaha! you forgot... Dark-type Judgment! :P but yeah, I would love to see Weavile be a little more viable in OU, seeing as it has those wonderful STABS. with technician, it'd be the definition of a glass cannon, dealing ridiculous damage but unable to tank anything (along with SR weakness and mach punch weakness) so it needs a boost! :)
  20. Geodude6

Geodude6

Is Froakie still quite hated?
    If so, just posting to say:
    I liked Froakie before it was cool.
  21. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

lol Get behind me, bro.

I've been white knighting Froakie since the start, still calling him Beetoaden when I get it. :3
  22. kaps

kaps

From what I understand, Chespin is a mix between a chestnut and a hedgehog. which in my opinion is a fantastic idea and I'm really excited to see how it evolves
  23. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

The starters have some potential, though I am not overly fond of Froakie, but I am not overly fond of frogs, so it probably isn't the design. I really want to see Fennekin and its evolutionary chain, however, no matter how awesome it may be, it will always fall in the shadow of the most glorious starter of them all: Blaziken. I thought that sucker was the bomb before it got Speed Boost. Then it just became a god
    Anyways, they could do some cool stuff with Chespin
  24. shockwave527

shockwave527

One of my posts from a WHILE back, which I still want to happen as things are looping around in the thread:

This should happen. And, as TT said, they could really level up the elite four so that types like grass are still good. Something like how colosseum makes you battle over-leveled Pokemon so that you either have to grind hard or really plan out the final battles. I'd also like to see the rival become something more than just an consistent enemy or friend, like what happened in gen 1. BW2 SORT OF did that, but Cheren wasn't your rival in that game. I want to see some true rival growth.

But this could be perfect. With expanded file size, we could have a larger, more complex and diverse region with slightly more pokemon in the RegDex than usual and a gym of every type. I really want this to happen.
  25. shockwave527

shockwave527

(I know this is a double post, but as this is entirely on another person's long post, I felt the need for it to be separate)

Agreed, but these do all stay in the themes of the starters. Prehistory, Chinese Zodiac, and land-based water creature.

Next gen: Please, a seal.

Didn't notice the first two before, but seems about right! Possible.

Already been mentioned multiple times.

No. Remember, the game is made as a GAME, not a METAGAME. A kitten in real life couldn't defeat a Shark. Not all pokemon are created equal, get used to it people. Also, most pokemon are competetive, just ending up in lower tiers. A game where Raticate is as good as Dragonite would not be fun at all, we need the differences.

We need moves like Confusion to stay how they are. Again, this is a GAME, not a METAGAME. Not everyone is using all-level-100s with perfect movesets. These are given so that, when you play the GAME, you start off with a weak psychic type move and can replace it with a stronger one. Moves have those powers and effects for a reason. We don't just give our water starters Hydro Pump at level 10, they get water gun. It just needs to be good enough for that part of the game, it's not supposed to be useful in the metagame.

Again, NO. That is a huge part in the series and what has made it pokemon. If you want all this, just go battle someone 6 lillipups on 6 lillipups, no fighting type moves. I'm sure you'll have a grand old time.

NO. Not this again. We already discussed why this is a bad idea way back. Lets just move on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)