1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gillian Seed

Gillian Seed

So i can transfer over all of my EV trained Pokemon from Black 2 right?
  2. Quickster

Quickster

The Japanese logos seem to have a strand of DNA in them, so it's very likely that X and Y are directly related to that.

Fennekin is an excellent name, it rolls right off the tongue. I'm not a fan of "Froakie" though.
  3. goldursaring

goldursaring

3DS games are region locked. It's possible Nintendo might allow for digital distribution of these games.

What's going to be interesting is the possible release of the remaining DW Pokemon, and the future of the DW. Generation V may wrap up with a substantial number of Pokemon being unreleased.
  4. Forsety

Forsety

Or it could be X & Y as in dimensional space being these are the first fully 3D Pokemon games.
  5. Master of the Six Kings

Master of the Six Kings

Actually, upon review of the footage, it does seem that Water/Fighting, Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark is the typing they are going for (the attacks and targets all make sense, except Fennekin attacking Kirlia, but that attack is 100% psychic). Giving some love to the fan favorite second wheel of typings would sure be cool. Not sure how i feel about Grass/Dark and Water/Fighting looking at the first evos, but as long as Froakie doesn't become Emboar, i'm sure it won't be too bad.
  6. MLaRF

MLaRF

Alright, I've got an interesting idea on the overall theme of the generation (much like how gen 1 was themed around genetics and stuff, gen 2 on legends, etc... i totally soaked all that shit up reading bulbapedia last night, you can too). Based not only on the very interesting pattern-break of all games being released at the same time, but also on the minor details of seeing pokemon from vastly different regions (gen 1 and gen 5 pokemon in the same game, considering how unova was supposed to be very far away from the first 4), and the easy-to-overlook detail provided at the beginning when pikachu sent that lightning around the world, I would have to say this entire generation will be themed around something like global community and communication. It also fits into the fact that pokemon games have been getting more online features, such as the GTS and dream world, as well as an interesting connection with the wiiu's community-based features, such as system chats and forums. Possible features I predict (however unlikely) include transfering pokemon from one game cartridge over the internet to another, not just as a trade but like a free gift. But yeah, a worldwide community seems to me like it's going to be the main focus of this generation.
  7. guitarerdood

guitarerdood

^^^^^^ didn't even think of this, but now I'm convinced you are right.
  8. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

I actually remember reading an interview with some game designers where they commented on this. While they admitted to wanting to try something new, they said that they always came back to Fire/Water/Grass cause it just made most sense. Remember, the circle of types is supposed to introduce new players to the typing mechanics, so they want the starter circle to have interactions that the player can instantly grasp. It makes perfect sense that fire burns grass, grass absorbs water, and water quenches fire. The same cannot be said for other type circles. While a long time Pokemon fan would be fine with it, someone who doesn't have the type chart memorized would find it confusing.

What they do with the secondary types, however, has many different posibilities. Personally, in this case I'd like to see Fennekin become Fire/Psychic, but I don't have much of an opinion on the others. Wouldn't be surprised by with more pure type final stages.
  9. DrNeoCortex

DrNeoCortex

My views on the types:
    I think Froakie is Water/Fighting. The move it used on the Patrat looked a lot like Close Combat, plus Patrat is weak to Fighting, so it makes sense. Chespin is Grass/Dark probably. That move on Golurk looked like Dual Chop initially, but now it looks more like Shadow Claw or Night Slash. Dragon and Ghost don't make sense, so I'm going with Dark. And Fire/Psychic only makes sense for Fenniken. Also, if they are all those types that I mentioned, they actually have two of those cycles (Fire/Water/Grass and Psychic/Fighting/Dark) at once, which is pretty neat.

As for the deer/bird legend things, I don't really care about their types until we get their names. The names might hint at their types anyway.

Deliberd and Farfetch'd evolution please. Also, Dragon Eevee please.
  10. hoult66

hoult66

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! I HATE This the graphics look amazing but why only on 3DS. Now I have to buy one and my parents...

IF anyone has a situation like mine and can't buy a 3DS because "It hurts your eyes"

Please go to my profile and sign the petion in a group for A 3DS. Even if you don't have a situation like mine help a Pokemon lover out.
  11. Sorawing

Sorawing

When I saw the X and Y legendaries I thought of them as representing Harmony and Chaos, I mean just look at them, X looks so elegant and Arceus/ Virizion-like whereas Y is just this red… thing. This is probably totally off as everyone’s talking about DNA and Chromosomes and everything but it would make sense as Reshiram and Zekrom originally represented the Ying Yang.
    Anyways, I think that Y could be Flying and Ghost/ Dark or even Ghost Dark with Levitate and X would be Steel/ Psychic with its horns and all.

I hope they keep the Dream World (still waiting for my Chandelure, Game Freak -.-) but I wonder what other competitive mechanic they’re going add, a new weather perhaps? Retyping? It’ll definitely be an interesting generation.
  12. mailanbr

mailanbr

I love how with all this speculation and hype for X/Y, nobody seems to be disappointed about how we thought there would be a new Eeveelution. Of course there is still time for it, but I'm surprised to not see anyone say anything about it yet.
  13. Forsety

Forsety

I gave this consideration but decided to ignore the possibility out of denial Trollfreak would make a useless grass starter for a 5th time in a row, then again I've resigned to the fact all fire starters must be dual fighting type.

A move to erase weather and nerfing auto weather to the standard 5-7 turns, yes thank you.
  14. CabooseFTW

CabooseFTW

And thus begins a new generation of angry Smogonites making fun of the new Pokemon names. I suspect the X mascot to be Grass/Psychic while Y is Dark/Flying. Either way, they look beast. The starters are kind of meh. Don't get me wrong, they could turn out okay, but then again Chespin can't compete with Smugleaf's coolness, Froakie can't compete with the coolness of every water starter ever, and Fennekin...just sorta bugs me because that the fire starters don't have any fire on them anymore like Tepig. Not that Fennekin isn't cool, but if it becomes Fire/Fighting...
    Anyway cool Pokemon, but all of them remind me of previous ones.
    Chespin=Sewaddle
    Fennekin=Vulpix
    Froakie=Palpitoad
    X=Sawsbuck
    Y=Mandibuzz
  15. Present

Present

Upon further analysis of the pokes, those secondary typings would make sense, in allowing them to hit the pokemon they are weak to super effectively (fire vs water, psychic vs fighting / water vs grass, fighting vs dark / grass vs fire, dark vs psychic). That would make a nice circle of type effectiveness.

What do you think?
  16. Celever

Celever

Well, did anyone notice the fact that each of the starters used moves that were of a different type to them? This makes me think that each of the starters will be dual-typed from the get-go. Looking at the move animations:
    Fennekin: Fire and Psychic
    Chespin: Grass and Dark (yes, they made him look like nuzleaf and then give him hid typing too!)
    Froakie: Well, either water and fighting or water and normal. To be honest, a normal starter would just be horrible, and I really don't see a basic fighting type starter, so while Fennekin and Chespin have a pretty good chance to be dual-type judging by the video, but Froakie might not.

Also I think that X mascot might be the Grass and Fire type we have all been waiting for. At least I've been waiting for it!
    The Y mascot being Dark and Flying seems pretty plausible, but my first impression on design alone was actually a dragon and dark type! Then I noticed the clouds and noticed it was a flying type, so TrollFreak could strike again and make him Dragon.

Oh, and the reign of water types has ended. I'll be honest, I didn't like and of the final forms of the gen 5 starters, but looking at Froakie I just want to know what the heck TrollFreak is doing!!! It just feels like the quality of the starter's design has gone down lots!
  17. CabooseFTW

CabooseFTW

Also lol, we are trying to figure out what X and Y are while two years ago we tried to figure out what Z is
  18. Jibaku

Jibaku Not taking FS requests atm.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

These are super sick. The deermon reminds me of that forest spirit guy from Princess mononoke.
  19. TogeJones

TogeJones

I seriously think that the types of the last forms will be: Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting.
  20. MLaRF

MLaRF

This would be incredible, and I have always wanted it since weather basically overthrew 5th gen ou. Please do this, gamefreak.

Lol, you are brilliant.
  21. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

You know you can turn the 3D off right?
  22. Fawfulmk-II

Fawfulmk-II

*crosses fingers for fog and Sandy Castform*

Also, did most you lot REALLY believe they were never gonna release a Pokemon Game on the 3DS? tsk tsk. having said that, I'm getting a musician vibe from the water starter, so I'm pretty sure a majority of it's learned moves will be based around that.

Let's just hope it's last stage name isn't something corny like Beetoaden or something.
  23. Cradily

Cradily

I doubt it, I bet they'll stick with the ever traditional pure water grass and fire types. They just haven't proven to be consistent with when and why they make certain starters dual types through the generations. I'm not saying I wouldn't mind it, Im just not keeping my hopes up.
  24. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

I think the types of the new starters will be...

...A TOPIC OF EXTREME ANNOYANCE TO EVERYBODY IN A COUPLE OF DAYS BECAUSE OF ALL THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE POSTS ABOUT THIS NOT REALIZING THAT THE PREVIOUS GUY WROTE EXACTLY THE SAME... thank you. Read before posting, guys.

Everything that SHOULD be said about the types HAS already been said. And it hasn't been eight hours since the announcement yet. Yeah, the Fight/Dark/Psychic triangle makes sense. Congratulations, you've figured it out. Go stand in line for the counter to the right to claim your medal.

Elaborating on what jas61292 said, the types in the game are always carefully built up as not to confuse new players. At the beginning of the game, you're introduced to the basic types. The rock-paper-scissors triangle of Fire, Water and Grass. Very intuitive. Next up is the Normal type, which has few weaknesses, few resistances and doesn't hit super-effectively. In ninety percent of cases, Normal types will perform quite okay. Going for a Normal Pokémon or move will rarely fail you, but it will rarely excel either.

Next up come the intermediate types: Bug, Electric, Ground, Rock, Flying, Poison, Fighting. Here, weaknesses and resistances begin to play in. You have to learn the type chart sooner or later. For the most part, things make sense as to what is weak to what.

When you've ventured a bit further into the region, the advanced types will begin to show up. Psychic, with its powerful special attackers. Dark, with raw physical power. Steel, which seems to resist everything. Ice, residing in harsh climates, wielding powerful STAB attacks, and exploiting your lack of resistances to Hail. Ghost, immune to your trusty Normal attacks, and attacking with moves with sinister side effects. Last of them all is Dragon, the powerful late-game type with rare and intriguing Pokémon, sporting badass designs, resisted by nothing and resisting a lot.

The game is built up so that you're introduced to these types gradually. The basics first, then the intermediate stuff, advanced stuff in the late stages of the game. They would never begin with Fight-Psychic-Dark right off the bat. Those types would require significant introduction for new players. Never mind that their STAB attacks and off-balanced attacking stats would sweep through a significant portion of the early-game.

Grass-Fire-Water is a perfect and intuitive setup. It's not likely to go anywhere for a foreseeable amount of generations.
  25. Present

Present

It does seem strange to me that they would make the starters just just another second move, without it being relevant. They could have stopped after showing their water/grass/fire move, but they showed a second one. That does raise suspission for a secondary type (most likely upon evolution)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)