1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saboros

Saboros

Whimsicott with Prankster and Switcheroo while holding this.

mad? yupyupyup
  2. Katakiri

Katakiri Listen, Brendan...
    is a Pokemon Researcher

Actually Weavile has very solid SpDef for a Pokemon that fast.

And you mean all two of the Mach Punchers in the tier? One of which is weak to Ice Shard. Even resisted Beat Up is the equivalent of a Base 75 attack and it hits 6 times so there's a decent crit chance.

Technician Beat Up is a dark-type Focus Punch. Nothing with priority wants you switch in on that except Lucario who gets a +6 and resists the Ice Shard that finishes off every other fighting-type dumb enough to switch in.

Yeah so I kinda how GF doesn't give Weavile that amount of ridiculousness.

Send from my phone so typos be aplenty.
  3. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

If we've already lowered ourselves to the level of baseless speculation on items, abilities and moves in Gen. VI...

No names, because while baseless speculation is fun, there is a point where it gets outright silly. Speculating on names is well past that point.

1. Defense-boosting held item. Because Choice Band/Specs/Scarf/Socks, Life Orb, yadda yadda. While Eviolite is a step in the right direction, there are very few items that boosts your survivability. There are the situational resist berries (which got their counterparts in Gems), and the brilliant Focus Sash and Leftovers, but overall everything is more focused on offense. This is understandable, I'd hate to play an RPG where every big in-game fight ends up a stalling match, and it's way more fun to mow down opposition than chipping them down little by little. Still, some Pokémon are simply made for taking hits practically forever, without any outstanding traits. These Pokémon deserve an item taking them another step beyond.

So, what could this item be like? Certainly not without drawbacks, for sure. I've got a vague idea of some sort of shield, which boosts defenses but lowers Speed, or perhaps it has its own HP like a Substitute (in which case it would be single-use akin to Focus Sash and Air Balloon).

2. Status-guarding items. Simply put, items that when held, grant an immunity to a single status. "Would make many berries useless", you may scream, in which case I'd say you might have a point. Still, it's not like Lum berry doesn't make a few other berries useless already, unless your entire strategy hinges on curing a specific status (ChestoRest or PersimRage, whatever floats your boat). In competitive battling, these items could be used to stop a specific strategy such as Prankster Sleep Powder, Toxic Spikes in general, or giving you a confusion-free Outrage, but like Insomnia the Sleep version would make Rest useless, thus still giving Chesto a niche. Besides, you'd only be able to protect against a single status at a time, so their use would be somewhat limited. And how often do you find yourself statused again after your Lum is eaten, anyway? In-game, the Confusion variant of this item would probably be available after you've been through every cave infested by a certain family of bats...

3. Anti-hazard item: Because Charizard, Yanmega and the rest of the bunch. Simply put a held item granting immunity to hazards (without removing them). Some Pokémon are absolutely crippled by certain hazards at the moment, and miss out on a lot of fun because of this. Now they would be given their chance to shine. However, they would have to forego their item slot, which would provide some balance still. If the item is still broken in your eyes, would it be better if it was single-use?

4. More variations of Overheat. Because some moves are made to be rehashed and used again, and we like it every time. Besides, certain offensive types really lack in high-power moves. I'm not talking about Dark (whose moves can be very powerful when used under certain conditions) or Poison (whose entire purpose is weakening the foe and defeating it little by little), but stuff like Bug, Flying, Ice and Rock could need a little love. Physical or Special, I don't know, but I foresee a strong move of one of those types, with the downside of lowering a stat two stages.

5. An ability working like Reversal. A wimpy 'mon with terrible offenses is turned into a steamroller the closer its HP ticks towards 1. We already saw it on Lucario in SSBB, and I think this "reverse Defeatist" would suit the Pokémon games well. It might be every bit as viable as Darmanitan-Z, but coupled with Focus Sash it might have scored a surprise KO or two in the lower tiers (most likely NU, since Team Preview would allow you to effectively counter it - it can't hurt you much before it's weakened, so you're free to switch in your multi-hit-move user).

6. Additions to Hazards. Because they can't let the current system stay forever. If they add more hazards, it would be slightly overpowered, but if they don't, we get stagnancy in the long run (some might argue they are overpowered already). Note that "additions to Hazards" may also mean new ways to remove them. More types of Rapid Spin, hazards eliminating other hazards, or my personal favourite: Temporary hazards. Sharp icicles melting in two turns, hot coal cooling off in two turns, or some sinister Dark move which hurts on the switch-in instead of switch-out (like Pursuit). Unlike Rocks and Spikes, they wouldn't be a nuisance the entire game if they're laid out on the first turn. They could make for some fun mind games, where you'll be damned if you switch, but also damned if you don't. In other words, partial trapping. If you switch this turn, whatever you send in will be burned, but you might not be able to take a hit and stall a turn while the embers cool.

Also keep in mind that GameFreak have a tendency to add moves, items and abilities we never had expected. I'd be surprised if things turned out differently this generation. Although little of it might be viable, I'm sure some of the new moves/items will be very fun to use in-game, and it will be exciting to see what Smogonites manage to get out of the new games.
  4. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

I know its unrelated to the current topic, but I think this would make a really cool Pokémon:
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking Water/Fighting, or possibly Water/Fire. How cool would that be?
  5. Squishyfrog

Squishyfrog

Hey cool, someone who agrees with me!

One guy I know said that there could be a pre-evolved form that evolves in a similar vein to Tyrogue - Water/Fighting if Attack is higher, and Water/Fire if Sp.Attack is higher.
  6. shockwave527

shockwave527

Do you mean offense?

I agree, we need more of this though.

Could be useful, could be broken. I'd like it.

Maybe. Interesting, but it would become WAY overused. I don't know how I feel on this.

Agreed.

That would be awesome. Imagine a Focus-sash SRer with that. If it had good speed… oh man.

I think we've mentioned ideas like this before. I think there should be a limit on how many hazards you can have (So maybe like 5 total, as in 3 Spikes and 2 TSpikes or 1 SR, 1 TSpike and 3Spikes etc) or how many kinds of hazards (Like 2 total, so either Rocks and Spikes and then no more, or TSpikes and rocks etc), and that could make the game a little better and simpler if they decide to add more hazards.

I know. I can't wait to see what else they come up with for XY, that's some of what I'm most excited for!
  7. keleyeemoh

keleyeemoh

Like the poster above said, with good speed, that could really work. Also, a Pokémon with an ability like that could potentially use a Substitute/Pain Split set pretty effectively.
  8. shockwave527

shockwave527

I'd like to see some evolutions for some of the lesser-thought-of pokemon and less-asked-for-evolution pokemon. Has anyone ever considered a Zigzagoon/Linoone or Venonat/Venomoth evolution?
  9. Green

Green

I want a skuntank evolution
  10. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego Living in a world gone plastic
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

Who would've guessed
  11. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Linoone evo would be really cool, but imagine +20 to each of linoone's stats combined with BellySpeed :O
    it might actually reach RU
  12. Exbo

Exbo

If they do something about the Tauros-Buffalant issue or the Alomomola-Luvdisc, I hope they also do something about Venonat-Butterfree. I don't think they will change the evolutionary chains, but just look at them...
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]
  13. Worldtour

Worldtour aka Swamp-Rocket
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

While this may seem cool in theory, consider how early Linoone is available in the games. Starter birds and starter normal types are probably the least likely to get evolutions due to the status they tend to hold in-game: useful early-game, but their usefullness wears off (the same goes for stuff such as Mightyena, though an Ariados/Ledian evoltion seems a bit more likely than other Bugs because they are overly terrible even early game)
  14. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I dslike the theory that Caterpie -> Venomoth because it has about as much in common with that line as it does with Venonat

Also let's take a moment to remember that Gen 1 had some very....
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Similar, shall we say, designs
  15. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

I assume Gamefreak intentionally did this to keep the female audience playing. Anyone will agree that Butterfree is cuter than Venomoth.
  16. Lord Raiden

Lord Raiden

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii452/bluecynder/Animated GIFS/spiderhole.gif (arachnophobe alert: scary spider ahead)

The spider is Gorgyrella sp.

I'm rather fond of arachnids and keep a few dozen as "pets".

A bug/dark or bug/ground trapdoor spider pokemon with that move would make me quite happy.
  17. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Could we not inline horrifying arachnids, please

I say this as an arachnophobe not as a mod
  18. shockwave527

shockwave527

Can you PLEASE edit this to hide? Maybe add a little warning as well?

I am also an arachnophobe, and I don't want to see this every time I scroll through.
  19. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

Oh man
    Bug/Ground with Arena Trap sounds pretty perfect for a Trapdoor Spidermon
  20. jackm

jackm

While we're brainstorming abilities (I'm in the mood and I've got an idea) how about this one:

Buffer

Sets up a Substitute with 1 HP upon switching in which annihilates at the end of the turn if unbroken. Does not activate when switching in off of a K.O.

Free switchin anyone? Obviously, it wouldn't be given to anything monstrous, but it could potentially facilitate some interesting paradigm shifts. Neither would it be given to anything that can VoltTurn, for obvious reasons. But it would make switching in on choiced wallbreakers much easier for Stall and make HO vs. HO potentially less "kill them fast or die".

Just brainstorming.
  21. Lord Raiden

Lord Raiden

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3170/2436327259_183c12a7c7.jpg (arachnophobe alert: not-as-scary-but-still-a spider ahead)

Alright, if not spiders, then how about these?

They're called Amblypygids, and they're cave-dwelling arachnids that are nearly blind and use their long pair of legs to sense their surroundings. When a small insect wanders too close, they lash out with the spiny claws (being held near the face in the above photo) and catch it, somewhat like a mantis (but horizontally).

Maybe bug/dark?

Wouldn't be a bad candidate (thematically speaking) for Technician, either.
  22. Vashimus

Vashimus

[​IMG]

This is basically a modified Blaze/Torrent/Overgrow/Swarm. Priority really screws this up too.

Pretty sure their arachnophobia extends to, you know, arachnids in general, not just spiders.
  23. shockwave527

shockwave527

Ok, now, thanks to you guys, I will have nightmares for at least 3-4 weeks.

I know I don't HAVE to be here, but can we please just hide the images of these scary things, and if you already posted it, edit it? It's not that hard. Open-bracket "HIDE" close-bracket and at the end open-bracket "/HIDE" close bracket. I don't need any more heart attacks.

Also, I don't think they'll do a spider as they had one last gen and spiders don't seem too common in pokemon, I'd think they'd make at least one more gen before another spider.
  24. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

do we have to hide them if they're cute spiders
    [​IMG]
  25. EtherDrive

EtherDrive

I like this but can the bold be used to rebalance stealth rock

Game freak Please
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)