1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

Ghost/Steel: Best counter to Terrakion, Sheer Force Landorus, most other Fighting-types? Although I want a Ghost/Steel that could also be used offensively.

Grass/Ghost: Best counter to Keldeo, Sheer Force Landorus and most bulky Water-types? Could outclass Celebi on that regard...

Ghost/Steel, however, seems to be the most desired type combination, and for good reason. Imagine if it had Levitate... Best typing from game? I was imagining that it could be like Heatran, having versatile stats, that could enable him to be used both offesnvely and defensively. Speaking of Heatran, if that Ghost/Steel had Levitate, both could be used as partners, resisting every type on the game, except Water and Electric, which could be easy to remedy with a Grass-type.
  2. The Cicada

The Cicada

Psychic are in no way a light type.
  3. MLaRF

MLaRF

Tell me how many of these you would consider good designs.
    apologies that the diglet is gigantic (open)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can offer 3 more generations and explain my choices if you really think your opinion is fact. So yes, while many people do say gen 5 and 6 have some unoriginal ideas, it's not the only generation, so don't act like it is.
  4. Xerneas

Xerneas

Agreed!
  5. BlaqJstr

BlaqJstr

Is this also the first generation where the Fire starter doesn't correspond with the Chinese Zodiac. Or can Fennekin count as the dog since both are in the Canid family?
  6. Furosuto

Furosuto

Personally, I'm loving the designs so far for the 6th gen mons. The Y legendary looks freaking slick, and the starters actually don't look half bad. Much better than 5th generation, and I think it helped that my expectations were low for 6th gen designs.

However, there's one thing that's really been bugging me and it's the fact that this is for 3DS. I mean, I know they gotta make money, but to me this is kinda an outrage to go all 3D on the pokemon games. They've been 2D for as long as we know and I personally like the 2D graphics better than the 3D ones. Now all the nostalgia is kinda gone from the games. Plus, there is no way I am wasting money on a 3DS, so unless there is some other way to play the game, I am unfortunately not going to be able to play the game.

Hmmmmm..... Maybe some stores let you rent 3DS's.......
  7. Chaoswalker

Chaoswalker

Let's not forget that it often ends up that new pokemon end up growing on us. I'm sure the grass or water starter will end up being a community favorite not too long from now.

Remember Oshawott? Everyone hated clown Otter from day 1, but soon everyone was saying "I liked Oshawott before everyone else did!"
  8. Bone Dragon

Bone Dragon

Every generation has its share of creative and bland pokemon designs, and I don't think Gen VI will be any exception. Just going on the five we have now, in my opinion I think that the starters are a little on the bland side, while the legendaries are on the creative side. That being said, so far I like the starters more than I did in Gen V.
  9. zyrefredric

zyrefredric

The thing is, the proposed item is programmed to be self-checking in that it doesn't really allow such ludicrous possibilities. A Ground-Flying Hippowdon can never happen, because it does not learn Aerial Ace or any other flying-type attack moves. Case in point:

10. Rofellos

Rofellos

I wish. I also feel that the 3d effects force you to play for shorter amounts of time or you end up getting a headache. Personally I understand the reasoning but ill never forget good old game boy games!
  11. Victini21

Victini21

The fact that this thread is already on page 33 tells me that Pokemon is still loved, dispite the many people who say that "Pokemon is a waste of time" or "Pokemon is boring." I'm very glad to be a part of a community like this one, and I can't wait for these new games to come out! And, while the new starters may not be the coolest looking, their double typing (fire/psychic, water/fighting, grass/dark) will certainly make things interesting.
  12. Chaoswalker

Chaoswalker

How long did you think the DS was going to last? The fact that B/W/2 were on the DS was surprising enough as it is, and it's most likely only because they were trying not to have anything new on 3DS before X/Y.
    Pokemon will lose nothing from jumping to 3D. It's just not the sort of game that relys on environment interaction for it's core experience. Platformers like Mario and Sonic had big changes due to camera angles and new ramifications of 2D abilities in 3D environments. Pokemon on the other hand is built on mechanics that could work almost, if not completely in text.
    The only issue is being able to play it, and if you never get a 3DS (which is currently cheaper than ever) you'll miss out on x, y, z if that happens, most likely the Ruby and Sapphire remakes, and possibly the 7th generation.
  13. MakaiMai

MakaiMai

Okay, seriously, I could go on a rant on why I'm being annoyed by everyone who either feels "trolled" or "bugged" that the game would be on 3DS, but I can summarize it really easily.

It was inevitable the switch to 3DS would happen. If I'm not mistaken, the DS would have been a dead platform a while before BW2 came out. The 3DS has been out long enough to pick up good, non-Pokemon, varied titles as well, so the argument that it's got nothing else notable is straight up short-sightedness unless you have incredibly specific tastes.

I WILL give that Game Freak certainly had the option to keep the game with 2D sprites, but I could make the counterargument that flat sprites in legitimate 3D environments would just look awkward. There's also the fact that the Pokemon world has been rendered in 3D since 4th Gen, and they were capable of some pretty impressive visuals with the 3D world in B/W/2. The 3DS is much more powerful than the DS, and essentially would be a straight upgrade to those visuals.
  14. Celever

Celever

Seriously! Everyone, why complain about having to buy a 3DS for half of the posts!? I mean, come on, you have to spend money on a console that pokemon should have moved onto with B2 and W2, which you should have anyway due to having some of the best games ever (imo) on it already and the fact that you can get it for probably under 100 dollars second-hand and around 165 first-hand is just so annoying! Sorry if this sounds a little hostile, but I just want to say that nobody actually appreciates people talking about how they have to buy a 3DS. You don't even need it until October, let's hope you manage to save 100 spare dollars in 9 months!

2 people talked about why you shouldn't be annoyed about the games being on 3DS while I was typing this... for the reference I started typing this at post 809
  15. Quickster

Quickster

Espeon is the counterpart to Umbreon, the Dark eeveelution. Assuming that Light would be the counterpart to Dark, it's more likely that GF would just retype Espeon to Light.

But none of this Light/Saint stuff has much evidence to back it up anyway so I wouldn't get my hopes up.
  16. rh2012

rh2012

>sets glass of water on table in lighted room
    >leaves for 4 hours
    >return, glass is still full
    >drink

It's okay, the concept of a light type seems ridiculous to me anyway
  17. labarith

labarith

Dude, give it up. No one wants to count out 5 turns of weather. No one. 8 turns is even worse.

I sort of want a Trickroom countdown, like the weather icon, on the main screen. Same with Lightscreen, Reflect, and Tailwind.

Changing it will not affect triples, or wifi (x3) singles - it will only effect 6 on 6 games, probably mainly stall teams with 6x leftovers - something GF is not really interested in supporting.

So...No.
    Changing everyone's BSTs to 500, 600, or over 9000 won't help jack, and will just destroy the existing metagame.

While not every pokemon can be good, I think every pokemon can have a niche. Absol has it's niche as a strong sucker puncher. You want to give it an evolution or an item that helps this? Great. You want to make it 100/100/100/0/90/110? No.
    Icebeam can probably be learned by HALF of the pokemon in the game. Flamethrower by a good quarter!

End of the day, SHUCKLE should not be able to 2HKO dragonite. Period.

Again, you seem to be upset not with the metagame, but with the game mechanics where Steel is weak to fire and not much else, and dragon is weak to dragon and ice and not much else. I suspect you're also pissed off that 2s and 3s aren't more powerful than kings and queens in poker.

No.
    Yes. This, not changes to BSTs or type chart.
    No.
  18. Preved Medved

Preved Medved

This is the best post in this thread.
  19. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Do you even know how normalized stats work
  20. Furosuto

Furosuto

Here's the problem though..........

I didn't want to get a 3DS in the first place. In my opinion, it would be a waste of money to buy a 3DS and then just play one game on it, and not use it for a long time. None of the other 3DS games interest me that much since I have much better things to do in my time, but pokemon is definitely something I enjoy playing and I would think is worth my time.

I already said I understand why they did it, but that doesn't mean I can't state my opinion.
  21. labarith

labarith

I know I don't want you to be in charge of base stats, and I know I don't want base stats changed. Give Absol an evolution if you want, but don't arbitrarily change things because you think seaking should be OU.
  22. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Do you realize I'm not even MCG93

It's fine that you don't want base stats to be changed, just don't think this automatically makes it a bad idea.
  23. DarkEspeon

DarkEspeon

You're either picky or just not really looking at the library.
  24. Skidders

Skidders

Type Speculation.

I think the typing of the Starter Pokemon will revolve around the two main Rock/Paper/Scissors games in Pokemon, Grass/Fire/Water and Dark/Psychic/Fighting. This checks out with a lot of the speculation at the moment as it would make Chespin's 3rd evolution Grass/Dark, Fennekin's 3rd evolution Fire/Psychic and Froakie's 3rd evolution Water/Fighting. All these typings are demonstrated by the second moves they use in the trailer. Disappointing as that will be the 3rd Fighting Starter in a row. But Yeah. Y I think is Dark/Dragon and X Steel/Grass or Electric. Which will be fun.
  25. Furosuto

Furosuto

I'm not saying I don't believe that the other games are good though, I think some of the other games on the 3DS are great. But they don't interest me that much, that's all. I just don't want to buy the 3DS to play just one game, or buy the 3DS and play a bunch of games that I'm half heartedly playing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)