1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Cicada

The Cicada

The same reason it used a fire move on a Munchlax.
  2. Celever

Celever

Urm... a weird animation of snarl?

But anyway, thecicada actually brought something interesting up. We immediately compared the moves we saw in the trailer to moves we already know, but how do we know GameFreak didn't want to showcase three new attacks?
  3. Upstart

Upstart Copy Cat

I don't know why there is so much tension about the first move being indication of secondary typing. If anything Gamefreak has shown time and time again that we can troll you hard. See confusion on psyduck or reversal on dewott. Specifically in this case whether the grass starter is using night slash or aerial ace holds little indication to his secondary typing as both are very widely distributed. The point is that we are all entitled to make up are own bullcrap interpretations but don't need to get angry about opposition to are views as we have as much credibility as the next guy unless one of you guys works for game freak.

As far as the pokemoness goes we have had this discussion since the gen 3. Every gen will have some stand outs and some duds. I do admit that gen 5 was the worst as they seemed to attempt an all new game and forced out pokemon designs. However most pokemon eventually grow on you. Luckily I doubt this game will have the same problem of gen 5. The starters and legendaries appear to have a combination of simplicity of a pokemon with a nice flare to make them standout. Based on the trailer showing old pokemon and stating over 700 pokemon I am approximating about 100 new pokemon to follow the even Gen pattern. Even at the introduction of gen 5 they were saying whole new game 150 new pokemon. Thus by stating 700 rather than 800 (which would be 151 new pokemon) I am confident this game will allow for play through with old favorites and some new guys.

In addition I expect to see more type combination. Gamefreak has said that Gen 5 was a reboot of pokemon in order to get younger generations back to the basics. This is illustrated by sheer amount of pokemon with single typing. Just as generation two and four I expect an expansion of type combinations and evolutions.

Type Combos that I would love:
    Water Fighting- Keldeo is lame, poliwrath is weak
    Flying Fighting- Oh so close Staraptor. Would love to see a farfetch'd evolution get this.
    Electric Or Ice Fighting- Either would be sweet especially if a half decent electric or ice physical stab move was released
    Bug Ground- Possible Pinsir evolution to take advantage of mold breaker?
    Fire Ground- Oh camerupt fails to stand out
    Steel ghost - Defensive juggernaut
    Grass Electric- Sounds pretty cool
    Oh and Ice Steel- Cold Steel Blue steel i mean come on. Although the fire and fighting weakness would be rough
    Poison Steel/Dragon- Give poison a shot
  4. Xerneas

Xerneas

Night Slash hits one time, then there is a small pause and then it hits again, just like the move you see in the trailer.
    Aerial Ace also "hits" two times, but the "pause" is way shorter, because its actually just one hit. Pay attention to the target being hit, it only reacts to one hit, the first one.
    Just in case someone does not accept that its just one hit, check the animation from the third generation.

Also, it would would fit:
    Fennekin uses a Psychic move.
    Froakie uses a Fighting move.
    Chespin uses a Dark move.
  5. MLaRF

MLaRF

So does that mean Xerneas and Chespin are...
    [​IMG]

If you take out the fire he is a lizard. He is nothing more than a flaming lizard. I agree it's a pretty good design, but it's just not creative.
  6. Redjar

Redjar

Simple doesn't mean uncreative, it means simple.
    You want uncreative Gen1 designs go look at Dugtrio.

Also, fingers crossed for a dark type gym.
  7. labarith

labarith

Yet the P<D<F isn't a pattern you're willing to subscribe to yet?

Anyways...

Here's something I think would be neat:
    A Ghost type pokemon that works something like Rotom. If you give it a fossil to hold, it becomes a Ghost/X type pokemon with the same stats (minus HP) as whatever the fossil's final form would be, where type X is the non-rock type. for example, you give it an old amber and it becomes a ghost/flying type that looks like a ghostly Aerodactyl, but has the same ability (Fossil Incarnate?, which just is it's special ability). Let it learn any move the pokemon fossil it's holding learns by level up, but not tm or move tutor. That way, it's got a bigger movepool, but not strictly better movepool, than any of the fossils. Also, it's fossil can be knocked-off/stolen, which would change it's form back. Maybe it can have one or two ghost-type moves it learns w/o holding anything, perhaps shadow ball at level 30ish, and lick from start?

Anyways, because you can't hold life orb or a choice item, it's never going to be stronger than the final evolution of the fossil it holds, BUT it has unique typing in some cases, and can have a strong, diverse movepool. Ironically, it wouldn't have Archeops's Defeatist, so that would probably be the form it's most competitive in. Head Smash/U-turn/Aquajet/SkyDrop (since it's ghost/flying)... even w/o a life orb, that's going to hurt a lot of things coming off a 140 base attack!
  8. Celever

Celever

Why would it have U-turn, but mainly why aqua jet? It would be ghost flying, not water and bug. Archeops can't even learn Aqua jet (he might be able to learn U-turn, I don't use Archeops but I think that U-turn suits him) and to be honest... that is just copying Rotom. Why not give an evolution to ditto while we are at it!?
  9. The Cicada

The Cicada

People really need to stop saying bs like uncreative and unoriginal pokemon, seriously wtf. If you dont like, go make your own pokemon and show it to gamefreak
  10. GatoDelFuego

GatoDelFuego No matter if it seems so hard, friends are here
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

Why do you feel the need to call out every opinion you disagree with? I'm saying that Fennekin's move, if psychic, was not very effective. So, following that correlation, chespin's move must have been similar. However, it looks to be either aerial ace or night slash. People are taking the Psychic Dark Fighting trio and streching it to crazy lengths because they saw fennekin use psywave or something. There's no way you can call froakie's move close combat.

Maybe gamefreak just took six random moves and used them on completely random pokemon. Everyone is overthinking this too much.
  11. labarith

labarith

It would learn all moves (when holding a fossil) that the fully evolved fossil would; thus it could learn aqua jet from kabutops, etc.
    In fact, the moveset mix n' match I propose is exactly what Rotom doesn't do. And rotom can hold an item...

And it's not copying Rotom... at least no more than G5 fossils copied G4, 3, and G2 fossils, and all starters copy each other. It also turns 1 pokemon (dex) into like a dozen, competitively.

Anyways, I'd also like to see other pokemon use other items available. For example, I'd like a shield-bearing pokemon that can use a plate to give it an immunity from that type (changing it's form, technically, but just really changing the color plate in the shield it's holding).

Similarly, it'd be cool to have a "Mirror" pokemon. Maybe it could bounce-back moves of the color plate it's holding (again, having different forms)? Or maybe it can just have Zoroark's ability, and be Ghost/steel or something???
  12. Infernis

Infernis

I wonder if Shuckle will get an evolution this time around. I'd be down to clown with Eviolite shuckle. Admittedly there isn't much room for Shuckle's stats to grow for an evolution, but a man can dream. Perhaps Tauros could evolve and once more roam freely through OU, smashing all before him in his rage. Perhaps Quagsire will once more reign supreme over the Water/Ground types as Quagmortar.

Anything is possible! (Except for old birds getting new evolutions. That's a little Farfetch'd.)
  13. Maestroke

Maestroke

Lool yeah, politoed needs to go
  14. The Cicada

The Cicada

gen 5 did not copy old fossils. Just bc they are extinct animals of similar species as others doesnt mean they are copies. Thats like calling a Bracciosaurus a copy of the T-Rex.
  15. labarith

labarith

Since G1, every fossil set has been a pair with dual evolutions...

So yeah.

I was just pointing out how a pattern exists and despite humanity's innate urge to find patterns, you've failed to see it. Now if you want to say the pattern is unlikely, fine. But pretending not to see it is bad form.
    I know, small picture.
    Maybe. But if you were designing starters, wouldn't you like the "2nd type reverse super effective" pattern? I know that when I imagine fictional sequel games using existing pokemon, I try to imagine turning non-starters into starters, just to be different. This really restricts me to BST600 guys normally, but I've also imagined new, non FWG starters for sequels. I've always rejected it because of tradition, but 2ndary types being super effective have stuck with me...
  16. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

Speaking of U-Turn, who, besides me, wants a Flying-type U-Turn? With so many Flying-type Pokémon that don't learn a decent Flying-type attack, a Flying-type U-Turn seems like a very appealing thing to have. Imagine if things like Landorus, Salamence, Dragonite, Landorus-T, Zapdos, Xatu, and even Skarmory (to use against Magnezone), had this move. Not the best Flying-type move to have, but a Flying-type U-Turn would make them even more destructive, especially Tornadus-T, who could, like Genesect, abuse this Flying-type U-Turn to deal with its counters, even more effectively than the normal U-Turn!
  17. Infernis

Infernis

Labarinth, you realize that Aerodactyl doesn't evolve, right? Kabutops did, Omanyte did, Aerodactyl didn't. They're a trio.
  18. royzizzle

royzizzle

I hope that camerupt gets storm drain in gen 6. I'm sick and tired of volt turn trolling me every game. Camerupt is a camel, why should it not get storm drain?

some other pokemon that I would want improvements on include pidgeot, farfethd, and magmortar
  19. labarith

labarith

A flying type U-Turn would be broken. Heck, there's a reason flying doesn't get many good moves. Flying U-Turn would provide STAB neutral coverage with no immunities (sorry Voltswitch) in a type that is mostly attacking with decent speed and would turn into a counter!

non-STAB U-Turn is bad enough on choiced birds in random wifi battles...
  20. Flareon

Flareon

This one's smart, you should all listen to them.

I want to see more unique typings (Dragon/Grass is something I really want to see for some reason).

And physical equivalents for Moxie, Intimidate, Guts, and Hustle.
  21. Infernis

Infernis

Man, Camerupt was so cool. He had two fucking volcanoes instead of humps. It'd be neat to see him come back in a big way.
  22. Celever

Celever

Oh jesus. Taking this out of context since it is your weakest. I suppose Magmortar copies machamp because it evolves by trading? Does porygon-Z copy bellosom by being lighter than what it evolves from? Oh, and Snorlax must copy Jynx, they were both introduced in gen 1 and got a baby pokemon in a later generation, 4 and 2 respectively!
  23. Flareon

Flareon

Oh, and Secret Power should be a physical Hidden Power. They removed the hidden base mechanic, so why not give it a use?

It would ideally be calculated the same way Hidden Power is (Same Type and BP, just physical).
  24. labarith

labarith

Look it up:
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Fossils

Magmortar is like Electivire, insofar as it's a trade-upgrade of something that existed before and also had a preevolution.

My point is that patterns exist in pokemon, and whole Magmortar and Electivire are a pair, rotom and the one I propose ARE NOT A PAIR.

Stop trying to pick a fight. Or, at least, stop trying to pick a fight you'll loose.

Actually, I want different battlefields in the game that would make use of Secret Power... but that's a sidepoint. (Maybe wifi gets a random battlefield each game? Or maybe that's a different option in the wifi options)

There should be a physical hidden power, but like I said - I would prefer if it's a stable 75 with only the type changing, and I'd also like it to be a punch (hidden punch) for punch bonuses, and to have horrible distribution, so that all physical attackers don't suddenly have solid coverage.
  25. royzizzle

royzizzle

The one thing that would make me love pokemon again is they rebalanced the old pokemon by editing their stats and making ineffective pokemon competitive with the newer generation mons.

kind of like what they did in volt white and blaze black
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)