1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enraikou

Enraikou

I was going to say this right now. First of all the few things that I wanted for these new pokemon games could be said in 3 topics:
    1- Character customization: I think this topic is one of most people want. As you play pokemon games, the player always wanted to make your own player. I never thought this could be done on previous generations, but on console games. Pokemon battle revolution brought that to us. You were able to create a trainer but with limitations; you could change the clothes, but the person was always the same...
    As I could see from the trailer, there is another character already made for you, so I don't think we will be able to do "we" at the game.
    2- Comunication: Pokemon Black/White has brought a bit more comunication stuff like the real time GTS or random battle. But we still locked. We needed to exchange Friend codes to keep that person in touch (or by foruns :P). Even so , we couldn't make friends through , what I think Nintendo wants, the world. I'm sure that Gen VI will bring some solutions to this problem.
    3- And third, what I most want, KILL DCERS..heheh joking^~. Seriously, on Random WI-FI match there are some , or should I say: lots of DCERS? And they could come back any time they wanted. At some WI-FI tournaments there was the 1Hour penalty , but it wasn't enough. Points loss punishments could be used. Otherwise getting chances before Points Punishment because some ppl DC not for he/she own will, but I don't think that everybody run out energy all the time when you have just defeated his/her last pokemon >.<
  2. IcyMan28

IcyMan28

I'm digging this so far. I usually pick the fire starter the first time around and Fennekin looks pretty cool, so I'm glad about that. I'm also digging the Paris/Europe in general setting that these games seem to have, since I did just spend a few months there.

Let's not get too carried away with these secondary typings, though. Outside of Fennekin (few pokemon tend to carry random Psychic moves, and weak Psychic moves aren't included in the current TM list at least), the other moves could have been taught or could be completely random. GF has thrown curve balls before (Torchic not being Fire/Flying, Piplup not being Water/Ice, etc).

Still hoping for Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting like everyone else, though.
  3. 1996ITO

1996ITO

If it's for Nintendo 3DS, the sequel should be Pokémon Z, so it'd be the third coordinate of a three-dimensional drawing, imo.

Apart, I would say this new gen's map won't be based on Japanese regions, coinciding with the worldwide release.

And I guess this new gen will be getting new evos/pre-evos for last gens pokes.
  4. Lord Raiden

Lord Raiden

I really hope the gameplay is more balanced this time.

Gen V was pathetic, and I'm really surprised that nobody complained about it. Most unbalanced...everything I've ever seen, and some of the Pokemon themselves were just not that good (six wasted slots in Gen V for the elemental monkeys, which were essentially all the same pokemon).

I didn't even buy any of the Gen V games, because I was so disappointed in how unbalanced the metagame was. Tiers aside, sandstorm (although my main Gen IV team is Sandstorm, and I love it) was way too powerful, and the other weather types (especially hail) should have gotten more support. A bunch of redundant fire-type moves were introduced, but water and other types needing diversification got practically nothing in terms of new moves.

And quite frankly, I was shocked that nobody here seemed to be saying anything about it. Things like pokemon design are just opinion, but balance is not. Gen V was a horrible example of power creep, and Black and White II only made it worse. There shouldn't be such a vast gap in terms of base stat totals (I think one of the best things GF could do for competitive Pokemon is to reduce this gap, so that there aren't so many tiers and so that there is more variety) between pokemon; all it does is force older, less popular pokemon to the bottom of the heap, which reduces diversity in the metagame.

If GF does nothing to fix this in Gen VI, I won't buy it. I want get into the new games, but only if the issues with Gen V have been amended.
  5. B-Lulz

B-Lulz You ain't gotta love it 'cos the hood gone love it
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

ok so now i have to get a 3ds...
  6. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

As for the vine swinging seen in the video, notice how it goes around a pillar? It's probably some Gym obstacle, with the Leader standing on the top. After all, Gyms were traversed in all sorts of funny ways in the fifth generation.
  7. Jukain

Jukain fuck macle
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

i just want to say FUCK YES oh and yay no stupid jp roms!
  8. SJCrew

SJCrew Believer, going on a journey...
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

I got so excited that I spammed my Facebook page with updates. I bet my friends are all like "The fuck is this nigga talkin' about?" lol.

Froakie and Fennekin don't do it for me. Chespin might be my starter, depending on what its evo line looks like. I haven't picked Grass starter right away since Bulbasaur.
  9. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Where'd you get this information from? A real random battle / Find Battle thing would be awesome.
  10. MLaRF

MLaRF

Yeah, I majorly agree with you on the balance issues. It's really one of the main reasons I haven't been on smogon in ages, and why I never got into the 5th gen OU metagame, but I've also had a lot of problems with the balance issues in the past (even the card games were hit hard by this). Suffice to say I hope they can keep the creep down on their own level, because I don't expect to be able to not by those games.
  11. Raseri

Raseri here to help
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    NU Co-Leader

I already got my 3DS a long time ago :)

well i dont think a bad main series Pokemon game has been made yet, and I don't expect to be disappointed this time either.

Anyways I'm really stoked for this. A worldwide release is amazing, no japanese spoilers while I wait for the game :). It will be like im a kid again and have no clue whats going on!!!!! Also Deer god is the best mon :toast:
  12. Joel

Joel

Going with the competivie aspect here, but we need interesting items this gen.

How about items that increase the length of the gimmick stuff, to potentially make them viable?

Something to extend Trick Room, Tailwind, and Wonder Room could bring some interesting new scenerios to battling, as well.
  13. The Cicada

The Cicada

im picking Fennekin for sure.
  14. Finitevus

Finitevus

I almost always take grass, but that thing looks terrible... I guess I will wait to see its evolution's though. As weak as shiftry was, he had a pretty slick design. If they can bring something like that out again I suppose I will stick with grass... Otherwise that fennec fox is very stylish. But same again, I gotta see the evolution's before I judge.
  15. Jukain

Jukain fuck macle
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

oh i just realized i got a 3ds after bw expecting it to be needed for gray/whatever but bw2 came on ds and i was disappointed but now yay!
  16. PokeMaster366

PokeMaster366

Fennekin does seem to be the popular one of the group. I bet a lot of people aren't going with Chespin at first because it looks too much like an Oshawott rip-off. I'm probably going to go with Froakie, but Fennekin has my attention.
  17. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

so excited
    Seems the gyms are more like dungeons now so that'll be interesting.

fingers crossed that corocoro shows us more screens/info. At the very least names and artwork for the legends would be nice.
  18. Onicon

Onicon

Fennekin was the first one to receive quality fanarts (roughly two minutes after the announcing) and the first to be personified (roughly two hours). It is definitely the most popular starter in Japan.
  19. Birkal

Birkal Now watch me tie it into a knot with my tongue
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    CAP Head Mod

The thing that makes me really sad about this release is that they already gave us the English names of the starters. We don't really get the chance to invent English names for them now.

RIP smugleaf and wotter :<
  20. Tobes

Tobes Woo-hoo, woo-hoo, woo-hoo-hoo!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I think they figured out fans don't particularly care for that approach, and that a single generation rarely has a satisfactory pool of Pokemon to make most people happy. At the very least though I think they should've figured this out after Gen IV and the debacle that was DP Flint -__-
  21. SuperJOCKE

SuperJOCKE Lowtier Warrior!
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

This.

That's the best part of a worldwise release: absolutely no spoilers than the small reveals they do put out there. That was the thing that really ruined the 5th gen for me. There were nothing to discover, nothing that would surprise you. When all other gens were released, I had minimum internet access and got my info from magazines etc. I remember getting a Pokémon magazine with all (then new) Johto Pokémon in it; was really excited for the game. Although the art was just... weird (it wasn't the official Ken Sugimori one). And it was all japanese names.

The 3D might seem weird and unusual at first, but we got used to all transitions so far (the Diamond/Pearl one was a pretty big step from RSE as well). This is just a bigger one. I don't think it will be so bad in the end, especially not the battling at least. I also like the cel shaded tone they used instead of just plain 3D. You know, like how Wind Wake and Skyward Sword from the The Legend of Zelda series looks like. Anyone with Brawl should look at Toon Link if you don't have/know the former games.

When it comes to starters, I like Fennekin the best, but the other two are awesome as well. Gonna buy both versions, so I'll be getting all three starters anyways, but I'll start out with my little cute fox. Of the two legendaries, the bird is definitely my favorite of the two; it's just so badass with its horns etc. I'm kinda neutral to the other one. Won't speculate any typings for any Pokémon. No sir.

I also get to use 3DS for once. Barely any of my games on it cause I've already beaten them. Waiting for the new Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and Mystery Dungeon though, so they will keep me occupied inbetween now and realease; this is the year of the 3DS!
  22. LionKingMax

LionKingMax

I am between learning absolutely everything I can about this new gen or keeping the surprise until october... What to do.
  23. Enraikou

Enraikou

Or itens that boost stats when used with a move like calm mind, or get more decreases when you use close combat(for example).
  24. Alert to Sounds

Alert to Sounds

Ahahahaha Froakie looks ridiculous.
  25. labarith

labarith

I'm shocked by the relatively few new pokemon previewed. I had hoped G5 set a standard, but it seems to be a G2/G3 "piecemeal" standard. Local pokedexes are dumb.

I sincerely hope we do get 100 new pokemon out of this, otherwise it's going to feel light.

Elsewhere I heard a rumor that they might be changing mechancis/base stats. I hope this is bullshit.

Uh... TR and TW are very competitive now.

I do hope we get an attack/special attack increasing "evolite", as well as some specific items (think rare bone) that improve old pokemon. If this doesn't follow G5's "all new pokemon" in the area tradition, I do hope they take this opportunity to give new evolutions and/or forms to existing pokemon to make them more competitive. SeaDoubleKing; Omegaduk, Solarflora, Jynxmortar?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)