1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I wonder if it might be less, though. Gen 4's theme was "Ultimate", so bringing in a lot of evolutions made sense, but who knows about this go around.

Could definitely see at least 10 though, yeah
  2. Lord Raiden

Lord Raiden

Because two entirely different species could be opposite genders...

I know Pokemon doesn't have to have perfect biology, but it needs to at least be sort of accurate.

As for evolutions, yes, especially for certain Pokemon that could be much more viable (anywhere) with better stats and a slightly bigger movepool (via an evolved form).
  3. clapyourhands

clapyourhands

Assuming you mean the two genders of a Pokemon must be the same species, I point you to Combee, whose females evolve into the bagworm Wormadam, and whose males become the moth Mothim.
  4. Shiruba

Shiruba

they're similar enough, though. velociraptor and brontosaurus are nothing alike. predator and herbivore. biped and quadriped. light and heavy. their only real likeness is that they were both (presumably) herd/pack creatures, and that they're dinosaurs.
  5. Yveltal

Yveltal

while Pokemon have split evolved based on gender before, the two seperate speices have always had some semblance, or relatability. If the child/basic stage is an extremely ambiguous dinosaur that could evolve into anything, maybe it's possible to pull off design/visual-wise. The difference bewteen being either a raptor or a brontosaurus Vs being either a bug that comes from a worm, or just a bigger worm, is that raptors and brontosauri are on two different ends of the tree of life. Brontosauri lives during the Jurrasic period and traditional velociraptors lived during the Cretaceous. Even then, if it did make more biological sense and they were two different dinosaurs from the same era, to have a sauropod and a dromaeosaurid in the same evolutionary line is...odd, to say the least. Maybe if this was Digimon, they'd have an easier time getting away with it...

Edit- oh, ninja'd You're fast, Shiruba.
  6. shockwave527

shockwave527

Combee? I think you mean BURMY.

Oh, also - why make it a male and a female? Why not just make them two separate pokemon?
  7. Dark Ray

Dark Ray Here to bug you
    is a Pre-Contributor

You're thinking of Burmy, not Combee, and there are some species of moth where the caterpillar makes a covering of leaves/twigs to disguise itself, and then once it turns into a moth the females are flightless and don't leave the covering of twigs while the males fly around looking for females. Sound familiar? Burmy/Wormadam/Mothim are all based on the same species, and I quite like how much research GF put into them (I do wish they didn't make them quite so bad though, even compared to other early bugs they're useless).
  8. kaps

kaps

I think you mean Burmy!

EDIT: aaahhhh I was beat to it
  9. TyranitarTerror

TyranitarTerror

They also added in the last-minute gender split in Gardevoir's chain...stupid Gallade
  10. GenXXZ

GenXXZ

Ignoring the proposed gender split, I think a dinosaur line of Pokemon would be really neat. After all these long years of Pokemon, with prehistoric Pokemon every generation, and the closest thing we've ever got to a dinosaur is Venusaur (which doesn't look much like any dinosaur to me... at least any recognizable ones) and... Cranidos?

THREE HORNS DON'T PLAY WITH LONG NECKS.
  11. Exbo

Exbo

> Implying Froslass and Glailie look alike :3
    Meganium, Torterra and Aerodactyl off the top of my head.
    EDIT: Oh, Tyranitar too.
    Why the doubt on Cranidos? (Pachy-cephalo-saurus literally translates (from Greek) to Fat Head Lizard, ring a bell? :P)

And easy on the Combee-Burmy arguments guys... not like Combee males and females get the same treatment ;)
  12. BloodGod22

BloodGod22

Actually all fossil pokemon are dinosaurs except for Kabuto who is based on a trilobite or a shoehorn crab.
  13. ciaranroy

ciaranroy

Sorry for the nitpicking, but the Brontosaurus doesn't actually exist. I'd love to see more dinosaurs personally, particularly large predators (we have none). I'd also like to see a plesiosaur for the standard water type pokemon in every region.
  14. Tytus

Tytus

Er, what? Cranidos and Shieldon are the ONLY dino fossils. Omanyte, Kabuto, Aerodactyl, Lileep, Anorith, Tirtouga, and Archen are not dinosaurs.

To add to the not-fossil-dinos, there's Tropius and maybe Aggron, but that's a stretch.
  15. Satisfaction

Satisfaction

I'd want to see the original fossils, we're able to revive them now but they're all without exception the rock type likely due to being in a fossilized state for so long originally though they were probably more diverse and stronger, Aerodactyle dragon/flying, kabutops bug/water, Omastar pure water etc
  16. Exbo

Exbo

Tyranitar.
    Aerodactyl, Archeops.
  17. Gaburaisu

Gaburaisu

Lapras not enough of a plesiosaur for you? Lol.

There are a ton of dinosaurs to work with. There's no need to just limit them to a few rare pokemon or fossils. Or hey, not even just dinosaurs, but prehistoric pokemon in general. Cave bear, smilodon, megatherium, Haast's eagle, megalodon, and Gigantopithecus are just a few they could do.

Really, as far as inspiration for pokemon, it'll be a LONG while before they run out of ideas
  18. Chaoswalker

Chaoswalker

Are we forgetting?
    [​IMG]+[​IMG]
    I don't know there's anything official there, but Tauros is 100% male, and Miltank is 100% female.
    I got your reference.
  19. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

Well technically, Pterosaurs don't actually count as Dinosaurs

Archeopterix is sort of a grey area
  20. Yveltal

Yveltal

Ursaring, Raikou, Slaking, YVELTAL(to be nitpicky), we need a giant shark, and Conkeldurr (by a fraction, since he already has an ape body and is roughly the height of Gigantopithecus giganteus).

But now imagine all of them as a part Rock type, and Game Freak will take two or three of them and make new fossil-mons obviously based on known extinct species. I've got a feeling that the next fossil Pokemon will be based on animals from/after the Ice Age
  21. Lord Raiden

Lord Raiden

Oh my god...

Bagworms are moth larvae.

In some insects, the larva of a specific gender never metamorphoses into an adult. Many beetles of the family Lampyridae (fireflies) are like this; the female remains in a larviform state her entire life, while the male pupates and becomes a typical beetle. I don't know if this also occurs for bagworm moths, but that's where gamefreak got the concept.

Some of you guys really need to go outside or read books once in a while...

Miltank is a domesticated cow, and Tauros is a wild bull of some sort.

Domestic cows are an artificial species, in that they were created by humans via selective breeding. Wild bovines, such as the animal Tauros is based on, are their ancestors. The two species can interbreed, since not enough time has passed for them to diverge into different genera/families.

Finally, raptors belonged to an entirely different order of dinosaurs than the sauropod dinosaurs did. By "poke-logic", the two Pokemon would probably be able to breed in-game, but having them be different genders of the same species is ridiculous.

That would be the same thing (taxonomically speaking) as if Drapion and Ariados were male/female of the same species. It doesn't make any sense.
  22. Yveltal96

Yveltal96

bulls are just male cows actually which is where he is getting the idea from
    i would know trust me lol.
    also in which case, i would love to see a common prevo for miltank and tauros so tauros, for one can finally get some egg moves, and two, the evolution would be gender based whether it will be tauros or miltank. but as for the breeding process, miltank will probably have to be holding some sort of item while breeding or something to get the egg otherwise there is the whole "well why couldn't you breed tauros back in gen one to get (insert common prevo here)"
  23. Tytus

Tytus

Neither fall under dinosauria. Archaeopteryx is sort of not quite a bird yet, so I guess that one could pass.
    And now I just got it too haha.
    Yep.

Anyway, to remain on topic, I like the idea of wild pleisiosaurs posted earlier, maybe a Loch Ness Monster kind of deal. But Lapras sort of fills that role?
  24. Shiruba

Shiruba

yeah. just so everyone is clear on this, as the other messages have been a tad cryptic -

the "flying dinosaurs" and "sea dinosaurs" are not actually dinosaurs

they simply lived at the same time as the dinosaurs. that's like calling dragonflies and crocodiles dinosaurs. they're not. it's a common misconception.

note that just because something can go into the water does not make it a sea-dweller. many dinosaurs of the "long neck" family, for example, were like whales in the sense that they could go into the water and feed off of the plant life there to not only get food from a different source should the land source be exhausted, but also to avoid land-based predators that could not swim. they even had little breathing holes at the top of their heads so they could breath underwater, though not particularly well. however, unlike whales, these were still considered land-based, as not only did they have legs, but they still spent considerable time upon land.

/sorry for the rant i love dinosaurs ;n;
    /also sorry if i got anything wrong - i'm a little rusty
  25. GenXXZ

GenXXZ

That relationship isn't really confirmed... It kind of has the same ring to it as the mew-ditto relationship does.
    And as far as Tauros and Miltank breeding goes... Well...

[​IMG]

Edit: Just a little more on the dinosaur thing:
    When I said I wanted a dinosaur, I meant that I wanted a pokemon that DIRECTLY resembles a dinosaur. Having a pokemon with the dex entry "Dinosaur Pokemon" would be a good start.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)