Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaoswalker

Chaoswalker

I love it... from a game design standpoint. But I don't know if Pokemon needs another layer of strategy like that. Though if I found out that was going to be implemented, I'd probably welcome it.
  2. CountBleck

CountBleck

No no it's alright I'm quite used to having very poor ideas of what is going on when new pokemon information is leaked. I just felt bad for calling you out as being wrong when I just didn't look close enough.

I'm just hoping That we can mess with styles a bit cause I don't really like the way the male trainer looks. To be blunt I thought he was the female trainer until I saw the obviously female trainer.
  3. Emperor

Emperor

Yeah, you're right there. I just didn't know any other way to describe it :P Saying the hair is tied is a better way of saying it
    /sucking at describing hair terminology
  4. absolfusion

absolfusion

in the video, chespin and mienfoo both charge their respective energy beams (solarbeam and aura sphere) using their arms. I wonder if pokemon without arms such as togekiss or ninrtales will have a slightly different move animations for those moves where they are fired from the mouth maybe?
  5. The Reptile

The Reptile I can't think of a good custom title.
    is a Pre-Contributor

This seems extremely plausible (except for that last bit, it's most likely a gym). This also helps associate typing with them (assuming that the typing will reflect the mythology).

Xerneus is probably going to be either part Grass, Ground, or Rock, most likely Grass imo due to the whole tree-thing (and being inside a forest and everything), not to mention Grass is pretty much the Nature-type, which is more fitting than Ground or Rock. (Grass / Electric :DDD)

Yveltal is definitely part Flying, as most people have speculated, but I think this makes the other theory (Dark/Dragon or Fire with Levitate) much less plausible than Flying / Dark (or even Flying / Ghost, I'm calling it right now, Flying / Ghost)

Z-Mon (rip Zygoat :'[) will most likely be part Dragon (not sure about Water, it would fit the Land / Sky / Ocean theory, and iirc it was interpreted as a Sea Serpent, but I know little to nothing about Norse Mythology), although this one is pretty much impossible to say, since we don't actually have artwork of it (It could also not exist, but this is unlikely - GF loves to make Legendary Trio's). It also helps that a serpent-like creature is probably the easiest to make a Z-shape with (Although I secretly wish for a goat with a Z-shaped head piece because Zygoat is the best name ever :])
  6. Baldafor

Baldafor

All pokemon should have a viable niche in the game. That should always be the ultimate goal of the game. A player cannot utilize every pokemon in a competitive sense by any stretch of the imagination. That is a flaw that hopefully someday would be remedied.

The Butterfree vs. Dragonite example is not quite as extreme as, let's say, Unown vs. Garchomp, which I would like for someone to explain how that matchup would be fair (Hidden Power ICE, BRO, LOOK OUT). But, in Pokemon X and Y, they can change the metagame for the better by implementing balance changes to either abilities or movepools to improve the metagame.

For example, Storm Drain and Lightningrod were improved to absorb attacks instead of simply draw them in. That type of change to abilities would be an excellent way to balance weaker pokemon like Unown. Imagine Unown with an ability that absorbed ALL special attacks and gave it a special attack boost. That would probably make it viable in competition in any bracket.

Also, why the heck isn't there a way to make pokemon like Butterfree available in the early game and still viable by adding POST GAME methods to further train inferior pokemon? Add an item that boosts early game pokemon? There are tons of ways to make those pokemon viable, and they tried with Compound Eyes already with Butterfree and Dream World abilities in general, so why not try to make EVERY pokemon at least more viable?

Or just give us 4th stage evolutions. That would be sweet.
  7. Dia

Dia

Knowing TrollFreak, they will design something pitifully weak with no evolutions for that number.
    Giratina is already lucifer anyways.
  8. labarith

labarith

There probably should be a 4th stage evolution pokemon... it should be 4 new pokemon though, and the 3rd would probably be pretty different from the 4th, with evolite.

Also, there should be a pokemon A that evolves into B and then back into A and back into B, say every 10 levels. It could have comparable stats in each evolution, but perhaps different typing? (and I think both would work with evolite?)
  9. Redjar

Redjar

Not even touch the problem of Color change, even with good stats.

But every pokemon does have a shot at OU. Well, except Ubers. You can use whatever you want in OU. Tiers are merely the reflections of usage statistics, so you make your own tiers really. You can still use whatever you want in OU.

Also, GenVI. Dark Gym. Please?
  10. Reverend

Reverend

yo, G-Freak, since we're in PokEurope, make PokeItaly have a grape pokemon that evolves into wine. Or, like, a raisin if you use a Sun Stone on it.

Make it happen, buddy. Pal.
  11. Yveltal

Yveltal

That twit from kimiko gaming was not the first guy to propose the norse theories, but he made his thoughts on it look to be the most complex. I say "look", because all he did was post a bunch of google searched pictures involving Yggdrasil, the nameless eagle, Vetfolnir, the stag branches, and Nidhogg.

I'm thinking that the assumed Z will be a KRAKEN! The earth/aether/ocean triplet theming seems plausible, so a great ocean beast is my guess! Of not that, then maybe they'll have something death/reaper based that draws inspiration from underground monsters (like Nidhogg, lulul)

FURTHERMORE!
    Omigawd, I love you right now
  12. Duckster

Duckster

I think they should make it so Stealth Rocks break when you take damage from them. Drizzle, etc should wear out after 5 turns. Trick Room 3. Have item clause on the cartridge or the game doesn't let you have more than 1 of the same Item except Berries.

Your Pokemon should also be seen holding the Item during the battle or actually eating it. Also add playercam.

For a new battle system, your Pokemon get tired depending on what time of the day it is.
  13. Stellar

Stellar dreams & adventures
    is a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Orange Islands

Going along with the whole Norse mythology bit... This reminded me of Bifröst.
  14. labarith

labarith

1. Color Change is an interesting ability. You put it on a pokemon with decent stats and normal typing, and it's better than any other pokemon with those stats in many situations. Situaitonal.

2. Just because you CAN play Sunkern's evolution in OU doesn't mean you should. In any situation it is outclassed by other pokemon.

I contend that if pokemon x is outclassed in every regard by pokemon y, it is redundant and thus bad design. To say that every pokemon should have a shot at competitive play just is to say that no pokemon should strictly outclass another. That's hard to design, but rewarding gameplaywise.

3. Yes, a Dark Gym would be nice. 16 gyms total w/o repeats would be nice too.
  15. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!

I just want to say that asside from the simply fact a new generation is coming out (very soon it seemed at first but people have shown that it's actually not as recent as it seems), the video holds little of the information I REALLY want.

Seeing new legendaries and starters is fine and all, but what I want to know is how they've changed the core mechanics of the game. Gen II added Special Defense and new types, Gen III added abilities and the standard stat formula we use today, Gen IV Split physical and special moves, and Gen V introduced so many new abilities that even though the core mechanics changed almost not at all the game still changed radically.

So, what's the big change this generation, that will change HOW we play the games, rather than what we play them with? I can't wait to find out, though I suspect such information won't come to light until very close to release (deep mechanics changes rarely make big press).

@labarith

No. Stop right there.

Pokemon is NOT a primarily competitive game. I know it's easy to forget that when you're on Smogon for most of your Pokemon stuff, but Pokemon has always been designed with the single player campaing first and foremost. Pokemon are not all balanced and usable in a competitive setting for a REASON; to encourage the collection of rarer and more interesting Pokemon throughout the game, and to ensure that the in game progression flows smoothly. While Gamefreak acknolwedges the competitive scene's existence, asking them to attempt to balance everything perfectly a-la League of Legends is ridiculous.
  16. Gokuzbu

Gokuzbu

We already got Land/Air/Water legends with Groudon Rayquaza and Kyogre
  17. Tolan

Tolan

Something that I hated about gen 5 was the PC. I hated how when moving Pokemon around, the change box option and the party toggled on and off the screen. I wish that they'd bring back the HGSS PC.
  18. keleyeemoh

keleyeemoh

People have put forth some seriously stupid ideas in this thread, but by far the worst offender is to make every Pokémon competitively viable. First of all, competitive viability is not what Game Freak has in mind first. Never has been, never will be. Get over it. Second, people actually want to make Pokémon like Unown viable? Come on! Unown was designed to be a gimmick Pokémon. It was never meant to be powerful, it was meant to show off the mechanics of the then-new Hidden Power. Not every Pokémon has to be good. That's not the way it's supposed to be. To say anything else is just... I don't even have a word for it. It's just dumb.
  19. Redjar

Redjar

Color Change puts your opponent in control. They control your typing. I guess you have an advantage against choice users who aren't using Outrage but you stop being a counter to things when your opponent can change your typing and change to something threatening OR use that to predict your switch. You wind up playing into your opponents hands.

Also, I like UU etc... lower tiers. Also everything be OU viable is 1 not that fun. Owning with Chlorophyll Jumpluff is awesome partially because it's so "low tier". Everything being the same "level" of power is bland. Nothing stands out. Nothing is unique. I don't really care for OU. I barely play it, but I like it's existence. It's the product of competitive play. IDK, that's my three cents. That doesn't even bother to mention the difficulty involved.

I was a huge fan of Gen5. I really like what it tried to do, give me a brand new experience. Like my first pokemon game, which was Yellow, I don't think many people were a fan of it but I would really like for the regional dex to be GenVI pokes only until post E4.
  20. Yveltal

Yveltal

New thoughts on the supposed mascot trio!
    Xerneas is representative of the life of the world, and mortality.

Yveltal is representative of heaven (it's not always diamond rings and angel wings, hunty), and the afterlife

Z could potentially represent death, or a state of decay.

Right now I'm thinking kind of an Olympos thing where there's Zeus of the heavens, Poseidon of the sea (70% of earth as it is) and Hades who has a frightening appearance to mortals, and is revered as the god of death.
  21. Ivysaurtrainer

Ivysaurtrainer

Flareon to become useful
  22. Reverend

Reverend

The UI in HGSS is so much better than any other game in the series and is only slightly less important to me than Pokemon following you in terms of shit they need to bring back.

"lol" - kurt cobain
  23. CountBleck

CountBleck

I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing how they could Pokemon a bottle of whine, Grass/Ghost maybe? I still love this though. I'm one of those apparently few people that loves pokemon based on real world objects. Seriously why did everyone hate trubbish? I thought it was hilarious.
  24. labarith

labarith

1. Color Change does give your opponent some control, and even lets them get a 2hko sometimes when they wouldn't if he was just normal. HOWEVER, the important thing is that it should be a 2hko, not a 1hko - and that's something Kecleon can't even do.

End of the day there are lots of pokemon sets that can't get the "2 hit ko" on a decent color change pokemon. I'd like to see a color change pokemon where color change might actually matter.

2. You should play online wifi. 3 on 3 kills Stealthrock, and you see quite the variety of play there. Many UU pokemon are "OU" quality when you don't have to worry about Stealthrock; and weather teams are a lot less effective with only 3 pokemon.

I love smogon; but wifi is where I do most of my battling. And yeah, all of the OU pokemon - save legendaries - are played a lot on wifi. But Star Raptor and similar UU pokemon see a lot of serious play too.

3. I liked G5's "stand alone expansion" feel too. If they quit after the 8 towns, and gave you a boat to a HG/SS-esque G3, I think the game would have played a LOT better and most of the complaints would be gone. Regional pokedexes are pretty lame unless they're all unique pokemon.

The problem with this is that you can't really give evolutions to old pokemon - at least not easily/within the regionaldex - with the same "stand alone" feel. As such, I think a lot of people are hoping for an expansion feel here w/o the "stand alone" part. Less redundancy in new pokemon, more options to upgrade old pokemon (although DW/hidden abilities was a great idea, and fairly well executed...).

Do you ever post anything that isn't incredibly cliche?

You're like 2 posts away from calling everything "pokemans" and asking where you catch mew in the game.
  25. Yveltal

Yveltal

Flareon, just like Jolteon, is a bit of a glass cannon.
    She can do bad all by hurrself!

True, I'd like Flareon if it was a bit bulkier, but then it'd be broken compared to the other eeveelutions. Mayhaps a lovelier ability?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)