1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CountBleck

CountBleck

Yvetal is defintly in my top favorites designwise. I'm kind of tired of deer/hoofed pokemon though so yeah I'm not overly fond of the other one.
  2. Cinccino

Cinccino

Victini is Masuda's favorite Pokemon, no wonder it gets so much awesome moves I guess. Just wait until they give it Psystrike and Secret Sword.

I somewhat agree with you here. But there's Lugia which is as good, so I think the three tie as the best cover legendaries.
  3. Upstart

Upstart Copy Cat

Pokemon sunday now called pokemon smash really placed emphasis on the 8th's big reveal. Thus I can only expect to get a little something. Probably something very small like the typing of the legendaries or a silhouette a new pokemon.

Does anyone know a general timeline of how much information was released leading up to gen 4 or 5. I can't seem to recall how much we knew before the actual release of the games.
  4. Cinccino

Cinccino

All that I remember is CoroCoro leaks a lot of pokemon one or two month(s) before the release. While Pokemon Sunday revealed stupid shits like Zoroark & starters silhouettes earlier.
  5. Yveltal

Yveltal

Wasn't it the other way around? Pokemon smash aired new information the week before CoroCoro's release in some instances for BW, but the two are always checking and confirming each other.
    Hoping for some sexy sexy silhouettes for the fans to go wild with.

Generally, about 20 or so new pokemon were revealed, along with the distraction (super contests, musicals), some of the gym leaders, the name(s) and designs of the local mafia(s), and whatever immediate download events that would come with the release of the games. There will be something each month (maybe some instances where it's every other week, or even every week/couple of days getting closer to the release date) to keep us sitting on pins and needles.
  6. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

Yveltal is pretty cool (when not seen from directly below... ugh...) But Xerneas seems pretty dull to me.
    The antlers are pretty retarded too.

But then again, the competition is not exactly great either... Lugia is probably a top contender though imo.
  7. Upstart

Upstart Copy Cat

It is a shame that the sitting on pins and needles just started as I am on the edge of my seat. I am not sure where to go from here. We don't know stats till the game file is dumped, correct?
  8. NMx13

NMx13

We will know soon as CoroCoro leaks stats, of course not for all pokemons, but for starters and stuff. Not sure, but I think they didn't leak stats for V gen starters, they only showed their typings. Oh well we shall see...
  9. deluge

deluge

The only thing I expect from Pokemon Smash is for them to show basically the same thing we saw during the Pokemon Direct accompanied by a chorus of ooohs, aaahs and eeeehs.

Generally we only know stats when we get the game. Sometimes we get screenshots of a few Pokemon's stat pages before release from which we can infer base stats within a range. I think that happened with Reuniclus and Kyurem formes. IIRC, they never reveal base stats. Even the Pokedex app for 3DS only shows stars.

On another note, one of the things I'm hoping for is that they make Pokemon breeding a bit more strategic and fun. The breeding of moves is already well thought out and they have been taking steps each generation to make the passing of abilities more sane esp. as Pokemon gained more abilities. They also introduced a more reliable way to pass IVs for the later Gen IV games. But I still want more control so it's easier to make great Pokemon for battling. Some randomness is great because it'll give you a chance to pick up great stats that neither parent has but I want better ways to guide the process if you have parents with great attributes.
  10. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Community Contributor

I too really like Yveltal's design, but Xerneas' is annoying me. My main beef with it is that it just wouldn't work. There is too much mass in its antlers, meaning it should have toppled over in a slight breeze. Shaking its head would send it tumbling to the ground. It would be hilariously off-balance in reality. Second, with its blade-shaped legs, and a weight of over two hundred kilograms, Xerneas would sink rather deeply into any soft ground it walked across. This Pokémon would be completely hopeless in the real world. And that bugs me a little.
  11. Wazzup360

Wazzup360

One reason why I would like ice-posion, is to remove posion spikes. Why not use other posion types? I like battling the monotype tier.
  12. Gokuzbu

Gokuzbu

What would you guys think of Rock types absorbing Stealth Rock like Poison types do with Toxic Spikes
  13. Cinccino

Cinccino

Pumpkin pokemon must be Grass/Ghost with Flash Fire (It's a Jack-o-lantern afterall) and bulky stats of 80HP 60Atk 105Def 120SpA 95SpD 40Spe 500BST, Trick Room, Nasty Plot, and Heat Wave. Is that too much to ask? :p
  14. Celever

Celever

I do agree with you there, actually. Xerneas (seriously, are these their real names or just fan-made ones? And is the Y silent in Yveltal like in the name Yvonne??) Collectively, as a duo or even trio, I think that Xerneas and Yveltal completely wipe the other competition out together, but.. I kind of prefer Umbreon over Yveltal in terms of X and Y separately (Umbreon is one of the mascots for colosseum! :P)

Edit: Cobaroll, what if it is psychic type? And besides, it wouldn't have to be steel type, the antlers could be as light as feathers and offer hardly any weight to topple it over.
  15. BlaqJstr

BlaqJstr

.......(Mind Blown) Making that Toxic Spikes reference took the argument. I feel alot of people are itching to get more Poison coverage I just want more variety.......(0.o)
  16. MeroMero

MeroMero

There's one thing I hope GF to do : it's to make Pokémon who evolve via level-up/anything that implies leveling-up like happiness rate, and have not reached their final stage be able to evolve EVEN if they are lv100; kind of unfair compared to Pokémon who evolve by stone/trading and can do so without any restriction.

(Think about how you can now EVtrain Pokémon even at lv100 since BW, this was a step in the right direction.)
  17. Blazen

Blazen

I see the Ice/Poison as a purely support type. Maybe give it a Freeze Ray, or something for one guaranteed freeze. After that you switch to something like Toxic and leave your opponent constantly having to switch.

Also, I did have some other Poison type ideas. In particular, Fire/Poison, Steel/Poison, and Poison/Dragon.

Compromise. Branch evolutions! Either use the use the Sun stone (not Dawn) and Dusk stones, or use day and night to evolve how you want.
  18. Count Serperior

Count Serperior

Design wise, IMO, I love the new legendaries. Didn't think anything would top BW's cover legendaries but after the Sugimori artwork... I dunno they're all so nice. I wasn't sure about Xerneas at first (due to the Musketeer foursome + Sawsbuck all in one generation), but now he just looks so freaking thin and elegant!
    GS cover legends are pretty amazing too. Ho-oh will forever be gorgeous.
  19. Hank14

Hank14

I think when people think about new moves that will drastically change the metagame, we need to think simple. Just think about how freaking simple moves like U-Turn and Stealth Rocks were and just how much they changed the game. The shiny new move that shakes up the metagame will be so simple it will blow our mind. Allow me to beat the bloody pulp of a dead horse and bring up the topic of new hazards.

While moves like 'electric spikes' and 'stealth fire' will change the meta, it does so by removing the niche of other pokemon. Let me propose something different: aggressive hazards.

I'm basing this idea on something I saw earlier on this thread. I would give them credit, but I am too lazy to go back and look his name up. Instead of a long term presence stealth rock or the spikes have, aggressive hazards would be used for intense, short term pressure. For my example, I will use charcoals as a 'stealth fire' like move or icicles as a 'stealth ice' type of move.

These moves would do 25% on the switch in on the first turn after, 18% on the second, 12% the third, 6% the fourth, and 3% the fifth. The purpose of these moves would be to put pressure on the opponent and halt their momentum. This would allow the user to have a short window to move more freely. Sure, the oppenent could try to switch his Forretress or Ferrothorn on the first move after charcoals, but then they would be just sacking it from the 4x25%=100% damage. It would force them to wait, giving the user time to set up, bring out a choice user, clear the hazards on your side, etc.

Icicles would also be nice because it would buy you time from dragons that would want to set up on you or ground types that would want to counter your electric type.

The damage drop off per turn would be easy to explain as icicles 'melt' and charcoals 'cool off.' Also, stealth rocks and the spikes would still have their place for long term hazard damage. You wouldn't want to keep throwing your fire or ice type out to put up these hazards as it would be waste of a move. Aggressive hazards would exist to buy yourself a single opportunity.

I doubt a move like this would be in the next game. However, I believe another move could be modified to fill this role. Future sight could be modified to 140 BP and hit the next turn instead. This would allow the user to get a turn to switch in or give an attack when the opponent needs to decide which pokemon he wants to take the hit. Again, I doubt something like this would happen in the game. However, I think the concept is worth thinking about.
  20. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

IMO they should make Future Sight return to the same as it was in the previous generations: despite the power boost and introduced STAB, imo it was nerfed hard in BW since you can just switch in -insert dark type here- on the turn it will hit. Otherwise, maybe something like say, unpredictable strike? It could happen after a random number of turns, instead of a set number.
  21. Gokuzbu

Gokuzbu

I hope secret bases return. They would work great with StreetPass. You can go to their base and battle them, maybe you earn another puzzle piece from them if you win.
  22. Intergalactic

Intergalactic

Nope, agreed. While Yveltal is my least favourite of the two, it's still obvious how far above any other legendary bird - well, any legendary - it is in terms of design and also the detail, I feel. Same with Xerneas - even though we've gotten a large number of deer-like Pokémon semi-recently, I still feel that its design surpasses them greatly. It's just so much more detailed and seemingly graceful than any other.
  23. labarith

labarith

If his physical bulk were like his special bulk, and he had speed to outspeed some pokemon - say 70 or 80 speed - then there might be a use for him. But that's the point - Kecleon is a gimmick, not a balanced pokemon. And that's pretty disappointing. You do a Kecleon evolution with some decent stats, and someone might actually have to think in a pokemon battle for a change.

In a universe where Chansey got an evolution, it's pretty horrible. Not everything can be Chansey, but with an ability like color change, Kecleon should be able to take more than one hit.

This would solve a lot of problems, but the change of precedent I don't like.

I'd prefer to have, say, have "Rock Build", which HP heals off of rock type moves, and absorbs stealth rock (for an additional hp heal). As an ability, it wouldn't get great distribution, BUT if you put it on a decent pokemon, statwise, it'd be pretty useful.

I'd rather just have the option to make your own Gym post-game.

Aggressive hazards seem pretty aweful - so much to keep track of, so little benefit.

However, you're right - simply piling new hazards on isn't going to fundamentally change how we play pokemon, while simple moves like Scald really have.

Personally, I'm sort of interested in self-statusing moves; where you burn yourself as a drawback or something. For example, a base 140 physical fire move that burns you is pretty interesting - it'd be a physical dragon meteor, more or less. A Special move that burned you wouldn't need to be very powerful - a 100 base special flamethrower that burned you might actually see lots of play, as burning a special attacker protects it from other status... add in psycho-shift and similar moves/abilities, and self-status moves might just be obscene.

A move that faints the user and restores a fainted pokemon with 1 HP would actually be pretty sweet and format changing too, although it might just increase the amount of quick attack in the format. :)

Personally I really like the design of Flame Charge, and similar self-boosting + reasonable damage moves might see a lot of play if they had decent distribution and decent typing. I don't think I've used Flame Charge on much for competitive battles, but if something has decent stats and can take a hit, boosting damage moves like this are pretty relevant.
  24. oshada

oshada

Yveltal is my favourite legendary Pokémon since Rayquaza. That's saying a lot.

I'm dying for more info, especially Legendary typing and Starters' secondary typing.
  25. Infernis

Infernis

Considering how weak rock types are considered to be defensively, that would be a great boon. Might even see rock-type stealth rock users come in, take out the opponent's spikes, and lay down their own.

Yveltal is probably my favorite cover legendary design barring Groudon and Rayquaza. It's pretty intimidating for a bird.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)