1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

Okay, maybe bumping off the topic of the current discussion, but anyway:
    Pokémon Smash is airing in Japan at 7:30 on Sunday (22:30 GMT). It might very well be that all they will reveal is stuff we already know (accompanied by "Ooooh!"s and "Aaaah!"s aplenty), but they might show us some silhouettes too.

Judging from experience, the Pokémon revealed through silhouettes are usually of some significance to the generation. Gen. IV revealed Electivire and Magmortar that way (evolutions to earlier 'mons). In Gen. V we saw, among others, Zoroark (gimmicky 'mon that got its own movie), Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott (starter 'mons) and Braviary (Highly symbolic for White 2). If Pokémon Smash shows us silhouettes tomorrow, expect those Pokémon to get some sort of big role in XY.

However, they have also used this technique to troll us. Hard. The silhouette of Braviary appeared to show a condor-like Pokémon, a perfect evolution for Fearow (one day, my dear Speary, you will shine again!). We also saw Alomomola, and I don't think I have to tell you what conclusions we jumped to after seeing another heart-shaped fish.

Either way, I think that if this generation contains evolutions of old Pokémon, they will be among the first few Pokémon revealed. The next batch of silhouettes, or reveals, will most likely contain a few "important" Pokémon to the games, and perhaps a red herring or two (Alomomola). But if we are to get evolutions (or de-evolutions, what do I know), they will want us hyped for it. They will want to give us hints early on, so speculation won't be the hazy "Will they evolve or not?" but rather "who will evolve?". I think that, in a few hours, give or take a week or two, we will know whether this generation of Pokémon will add evolutionary relatives to old Pokémon, or if that tradition was abandoned after the mixed reviews the somewhat controversial Gen. IV evolutions.
  2. Halcyon.

Halcyon. Mad, mad love
    is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Pokemon are hardly realistic. For example, Yveltal would NEVER be able to fly with that design, assuming the tail is equal in mass to the wings, it would fall backwards every time. Even so, we have no idea how much the antlers weigh. Just because the're big doesn't mean they have great mass. Like someone said before, they could be light as a feather, and his design would work just fine. Either way, it doesn't really matter if his design "makes sense" according to our physics. It's a children's game :p

On the other hand, I'm super-mega-biased because I love Xerneas so much it hurts.
  3. Cobraroll

Cobraroll

I'm willing to accept that the antlers could work, but that still doesn't excuse the feet. The "head problem" can be shoved over on Fennekin, though...

...Then again, I'm perfectly fine with Garchomp (Heck, even Geodude!) flying without any means of propulsion, Wailord having a smaller density than Hydrogen, yet somehow being capable of diving, and Skitty being able to run around without falling over. I think I'll get over Xerneas and Fennekin pretty soon.
  4. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Well you can't really make the argument about Xerneas's antlers because it's Pokemon and Pokemon is not realistic in most cases. Besides, there are probably a lot of things in real life that are the same situation as Xerneas's antlers.

EDIT:
    Lol Yveltal gets TrollFreak logic so well.
  5. Yveltal

Yveltal

I would put it to you to explain things like Spheal and Hitmonlee if we're talking about disproportions (or just wacky stuff) according to real world physics.

Xerneas is magical (and a grass-dragon), his design doesn't have to make sense by conventional means. And Fennekin is a chibi.
  6. Pickaxe

Pickaxe

Late reaction to the Sugimori artwork:

Yveltal looks really, really cool. I honestly think it's at the same level as Gen II's legendary dogs. It has this simple, clean design that has been almost absent in recent years of new Pokemon.

On the other hand, Xerneas is not nearly as hideous as I thought. It's actually kind of neat, stupid legs notwithstanding. (another damn four-legged legendary though? Gen V had four of these!)
  7. TaiCrunch

TaiCrunch

I don't mind another four-legged legendary, just so long as it's not retconned to be part of the musketeers group.
  8. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Trollfreak will obviously do this: Lol let's have Xerneas be female only and that she gave birth to the musketeers when Yveltal (male only) impregnated her. And it has four feet. We know it's coming.

EDIT: Oh i get it. That is an automated message/spambot used by the site. Also Oktober is spelled wrong so yeah fake.

DOUBLE EDIT: Cobraroll read my first edit.
  9. labarith

labarith

One thing I'd like to see: Less PP in moves!

There's no reason Sword Dance needs 40PP. If you think you need more PP early on; let them sell PP_UP or give PP_Ups to the player early on.

I suppose Quick Attack could use 30 PP early in the game, but if it's really supposed to be a functionally better tackle; having 20 PP or even 15 won't make it unplayable either in or outside of game. If nothing else, it actually makes Ether useful ingame.
  10. Cobraroll

Cobraroll

While biologically, neither of the two Pokémon you listed make very much sense, at least they can stand upright properly. A figurine of the Pokémon would keep itself upright (provided Hitmonlee's numerous leg joins were braced. Otherwise it would be like having spaghetti strands for legs). Speal has its tail and flippers adding some weight to its otherwise spherical body, making it end up always the same side up whenever tossed about. Fennekin would topple over under almost any conditions, since so much of its mass is located in its head and its feet span such a tiny area. Fennekin would be comparable to a man on a bicycle, standing on the pedals and leaning forward as much as the steering bar allowed him to. It would be very hard for it to slow down from a run without faceplanting epically. Admittedly, Skitty is an even worse offender in this regard.

EDIT: @Browdy 1990: I call BS. Very. Much. BS. Seeing as Blogspot is a somewhat safe site, I clicked that link with no more than a tiny amount of sceptisism concerning viruses. The pictures you've listed are all from the trailer. The artwork for the evolutions is ripped STRAIGHT from DeviantArt, actually is has been posted in this thread (and elsewhere) already. In short: Bullcrap.

Now running Spybot and CCleaner on my PC, just to be sure.
  11. Cinccino

Cinccino

We had five bird-like legendaries in Gen I-II, nine dragon-like legendaries in Gen III-IV-V. Having the fifth four-legged legendary is not a problem.

EDIT: Besides the musketeers aren't even all deer. Virizion is the closest one, but Keldeo is a pony, Terrakion a bull, Cobalion I don't know wth that thing is.
  12. Agonist

Agonist You were my last great war, you were my heaven ablaze
    is a Forum Moderator

Who the fuck cares? And more PP is better.
  13. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

The fact that it requires a "3DS Emulator" is proof of it being bullshit alone.

EDIT: Pretty sure Browdy is a spambot/automated message.
  14. Cobraroll

Cobraroll

You got that right, at least.
  15. Ivysaurtrainer

Ivysaurtrainer

nope, Light/steel
    and Yveltal is dark/fire
  16. Yveltal

Yveltal

I can't admit that, because just like this image
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Pokemon are CARTOONS, and can be a little nonsensical. If skitty wasn't a hot pink mess of stubs and oversized cat parts, it wouldn't be as much-loved by the fans.

Wrong. Light would never happen, unless under a more fantastical name besides "light".
  17. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Why am I so shit
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

What if most of its mass is on its blade legs?

...It has a silent Y? Weird, in Portuguese we say "ee-vonne"... Well, Yveltal should be read as "ee-VELL-tall". Official pronounciation, according to pokemon.com.
  18. Redjar

Redjar

Cobalion is totally a deer thing.

And what about the legendary dogs? That would make X the 8th four legged legendary. Not complaining, just saying your numbers are off.
  19. Yveltal

Yveltal

Cobalion is an antelope
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Look familiar? (ack, giant Khudu!!!)

Also, Virizion is more closely related to gazelles, Terrakion is an ox, and Keldeo is a Kelpie, not just a pony!
  20. Redjar

Redjar

I contend that antelope fall under the deer thing category.
  21. Ivysaurtrainer

Ivysaurtrainer

Those shinning antlers are just crying out light type
  22. Redjar

Redjar

All this light/saint/digital talk is silly.

X is totally Grass/Moose.

Moose resists everything except normal.
  23. Yveltal

Yveltal

While deer and antelopes are both even toed ungulates, they're on different parts of the artiodactyla order in the kingdom animalia.
    But let's not break into excessive anthropology and design etymology

FURTHERMORE!
    Calling it the Saint type, or maybe even the heaven or radiant type, I could learn to like. Light type is just bland, mainstream and kind of tacky.
  24. Ivysaurtrainer

Ivysaurtrainer

All the pokemon that will become light type

Lanturn- Water/Light
    Togekiss- Light/Flying
    Ampharos Light/Electric
    Luxray- Light/Electric
    Cherrim- Grass/Light
    Mienshao- Fighting/ Light
    Beheeyem- psychic/Light

Also, Solar beam, reflect, mirror shot, flash cannon, mirror coat, and flash, would become light type moves

Also, Grass type will be changed to plant type
    and there will be the Space (outer space) type as well
  25. Cobraroll

Cobraroll

Then the head would be no problem, but you'd still have 215 kilograms of weight (~2kN of force) hitting the ground via four rather thin points of contact (its pointy feet). It would be comparable to a fence post or a spear being shoved into the ground with all the weight of a teenage boy. Whenever it is lifting a leg, another 33% of weight is added to each of the three others. Had Xerneas had bigger feet, the pressure on the ground from the foot wouldn't have been a problem, but with its current design there is a lot of force spread out over a very little area, resulting in a sky high pressure, causing each foot to sink a fair distance into soft ground. It would be like a grown man walking on stilts whose ends were knife blades.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)