1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redjar

Redjar

Luxray looks way to dark to be "light type".

I would hate a new typing and if it goes the way people are saying it'll be abysmal.

Something resisting dragons 1. Defeats the point of a dragon typing as dragons are supposed to be OP (to be blunt as I have to leave for work) and 2. Then they become the new dragon type.

Also people saying it should be SE against Dark... because those dark types are so centralizing... Yep...

EDIT: I know a new type if very unlikely and GF doesn't care about the metagame but I only bring up the metagame b/c people want a new type primarily for this reason. (Read primarily, not solely).

PS. Hoping for a dark/bug.
  2. Celever

Celever

Aww man, we need to be able to like posts in these forums! xD

Light type is not imagintive enough - at all. I mean, come on, light is super-effective on dark and ghost types, electric types are immune to it (they either permanently have their own light (ampharos) or can generate it) and the first light type move would be flash!

I much prefer the paint type, the only paint type pokemon are smeargle, smealla (female smeargle forms) Smelli (Smeargle's baby pre-evolution) and elgrames (Smeargle's evolution, he gets into uber). The new paint type move, which is signature to Smelli and it's evolutions, is 'easel', which has 235 base power (excluding STAB) and fixes into whatever the secondary type of the pokemon it just hit with easel is, if the target is pure type then it remains paint type. The move reverts back to paint type if Smelli, Smeargle, Smealla, or elgrames switches out.

Personally, I think that paint type blows saint, digital and light type out of the water! :)
  3. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

And that's why Xerneas will be Ground-type.

t o l d
  4. Yveltal

Yveltal

You have some weird ideas for what Light as a type should encompass in the existing game...
    Why would you ever want solarbeam to change attributes? As an Ivysaur trainer, wouldn't you want grass types to hold onto that?

If the space type became a reality, why would Beheeyem be a light type instead?

Furthermore!
    Consider that his feet might not even touch the ground, and he hovers centimeters away from where his feet should land. Because you know, he's magic
  5. Celever

Celever

Well... why would he move all four of his legs in such style as a normal quadruped would in the trailer?
  6. Blazen

Blazen

Light type isn't needed because it's already covered by everything else. The light type could represent one of 2 things. Literal light, or the metaphorical, pure and noble sense of light. The former is covered by Fire (maybe), Electric, Psychic, Ice, and Normal attacks. The latter is covered mainly by Fighting, though Psychic, and Normal can also be argued. If you want light just to be an opposite of Dark, then that is once again already covered by Fighting types. Dark represents evil (literally, it's called Evil type in Japan), and fighting dirty (Beat-up, Pursuit). Fighting types fight fairly using proper techniques. Hence why Fighting beats Dark, because they are properly trained and don't fall for petty tricks.
  7. Celever

Celever

WOW. WOW!!!
    Seriously, why can't we like posts on forums!?
    I've always wondered why fighting is super-effective on dark, I knew that dark meant evil and all that but I still never figured out why fighting beat dark.

I now know why every type is super-effective or not-very-effective on another type, thanks!
  8. Quickster

Quickster

The shining lights could be evidence of the Electric-type theory. Someone earlier linked us to a site which speculated that Xerneas could be an Electric type because of the features in the background of the Corocoro scan. There was an electric-bolt and an electric-ish background on the page. The lights could be further proof of this. Xerneas also happens to have some yellow markings on its face and legs.

And I don't really know why but the blue colour on Xerneas also makes me think Electric. That, or Steel.
  9. Ivysaurtrainer

Ivysaurtrainer

Lol I was joking about the space type, But I just think a light type would be really cool, it wouldn't have to be good against dragon, and I dont want it to counter the metagame, I don't even care about the metagame.
    and Solar beam should be light type because its so obvious that it should be haha.

Light would be resisted by Grass, Steel, Light,
    Supereffective against Dark, Ghost, electric,

Weak to, Grass, Dark, Psychic,
    resistant to. Ghost, Light
  10. Yveltal

Yveltal

Because he's MAGIC.
    Here's a new thought. He's the frenchy version of the deer forest god from princess mononoke. When the forest god takes a step, life blooms under his ffet, then dies instantly. Xerneas, being an altruist, could have aquired latent psychic abilities to keep that from happening everywhere he walks. But he still need to move to get anything done.
  11. Celever

Celever

That was done with Suicune and water in the 4th movie and various pokedex entries. We're not yet at the point that legendaries should copy other legendaries meanings!

You can say anything with 'because he's MAGIC'.
  12. labarith

labarith

The main reason I advocate less PP is so that you get to Struggle faster.

It would also make Pressure more competitive, in theory.
  13. Celever

Celever

Ohhh, I see your reasoning for this.
    Make splash 1 PP.

Also, who cares about making a certain ability more competitive which is only on ubers, vespiquen and Absol (from memory, might have forgot someone).
  14. Quickster

Quickster

Pressure is also useful on Kyurem. Sub/Roost sets utilise Pressure to great effect.
  15. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

I looked through some threads in other forums back when Gen. V was announced. It seemed that people back then really saw Reshiram as the definite proof that the Light type was coming. I mean, Zekrom Dragon/Dark, Reshiram Dragon/Light. It made perfect sense, right?

Not so much. Now, those very same people are pushing the idea that Xerneas is Light type. I also seem to recall that some said Electivire would be Electric/Light (Like a lightbulb or flash of lightning) whereas Magmortar would be Fire/Light (White hot flames). For several generations, GameFreak have had plenty of opportunities to introduce that type if they had wanted to. Yet every time they have opted elsewise. What makes people think they will go for it this time (other than "They haven't yet, and this Pokémon is shining!")?
  16. cbt

cbt subtle body
    is a Pokemon Researcher
    Mentor

pressure is also on non-legendary ubers (i.e. articuno) and dusclops/dusknoir
    sub mons love pressure for it takes 2 pp to break their subs
  17. Celever

Celever

Well, looking on their point of view, I think the legendaries suit the theory of Y is chaos and X is peace. Y is dark, evil, in darkness. X is care-free, tranquill, has seen the light.

Just a theory, but light type is still never gonna happen. I just wanted to throw something out there!
  18. Yveltal

Yveltal

Admit it, you suppported the space-type theory when it first sprung up.
    Solarbeam is fine as a grass attack, because it's an important STAB attack outside of the metagame (or at least in sunny teams, or whatever)
    And your type compatibilities look like something posted earlier on in the forum about how the supposed saint type would work as a supportive attribute evening itself out amongst the other attributes
  19. Gator Possum

Gator Possum

Finally made it through this entire forever thread, gonna throw my two cents into the maelstrom:

I started lurking on Smogon in early gen IV, and it's kinda striking how similar this thread has been to its gen V equivilent. Snivy was OBVIOUSLY going to get a secondary Dark typing, nobody thought Tepig would get its fighting type, etc. It seems like most people want the same things from gen VI as they did from V (more options for mitigating hazards, new evo's for old favorites, other things we didn't get in B&W). Of course, we also want some options for dealing with weather now, too, but most other wishes/demands seem quite familiar. As I type this, I can't help but feel like gen V was a disappointment, and it kinda was, but I loved the hell out of it anyway. I expect to feel about the same about VI.

I was really dreading a gen VI announcement on Tuesday morning, but the trailer won me over. I've been saying for years that cell-shading is the way to do pokemon in 3D, and here it is. The overworld looks kinda dated to me, but the battles are perfect. Also, Evil Tail is my new fave cover legend. For real, what a great design!

But here are some things I, personally, would love (but do not necessarily expect) to see: backwards compatibility (I play wifi, this is really important to me), some kind of buff for Metagross and/or Flygon (two old favorites that Gen V was not terribly kind to), cool new Eevee evolutions and maybe an evolution for Drapion. I think character customization is long overdue, and would be of some consolation to folks like me who are going to miss the sprites. Of course, I would also like to see some more options for managing hazards and weather, but maybe that goes without saying. Really looking forward to seeing what they do with the 3DS, I have an XL and its an incredible system with a lot of potential.

tl;dr: I'm excited, trying not to be too cynical, but sometimes I feel like I'm reading a thread from three years ago. Here's hoping GF throws us a couple of bones in gen VI.
  20. Shroomisaur

Shroomisaur Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.

More talking about the "Light" type huh? First of all, I really doubt that such a type would be based on physical light, especially considering the Dark-type we have now doesn't mean literal darkness either, but evil and sinister trickery. Look at moves like Dark Pulse (an aura of evil thoughts) or Sucker Punch (an unsuspecting sneak attack). So the rumor that started all of this theorizing called it the "saint" type, which would be a fitting opposite considering what the Dark-type stands for in Japanese.

Blazen's post was very good, I agree there, although I think Fighting is not a true opposite to Dark (at least, not in the way a virtuous "saint"-type would be). Because of that (and because I'd love to see some type-chart tweaking) I'd be in favor of this Light-type.

All I ask, for goodness sake GameFreak, if you DO make a new type, let Poison hit it super-effectively, and Grass resist its attacks!
  21. Guppin

Guppin

Or X could just be an electric type. Lanturn is proof of that.

Edit: Did not see that there was another page, sorry.
  22. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

Kyurem-B is more suited to all out attacking, and actually doesn't get Pressure.

Also, I'd love to see a Fighting/Ground type or Fighting/Electric type (with No Guard). The Fighting/Ground type would have access to powerful STABs and Stealth Rock resistance. If a Fighting/Electric type got No Guard, it would seem fitting to give it not very good stats but Dynamic Punch and Zap Cannon. Then, we'd have a Mixed Sweeper with bad stats able to run a parafusion set with powerful moves. Seems like a good balance.

In terms of gimmick Pokémon, I'd love to see a Bug/Steel type with Flash Fire or something. It'd join the ranks of the Pokémon without weaknesses, and its typing is actually decent, compared to Ghost/Dark or mono-Electric.

Or, a supportive Normal/Ghost or Rock/Ghost (with Solid Rock) with a massive movepool. The Normal would give it the access to the movepool, and Ghost typing is a blessing nowadays, with all the Fighting types running around. The same goes on the Rock/Ghost type, but then it would have access to Stealth Rock while being a Spinblocker.
  23. labarith

labarith

If there are reasons to do x, and no reasons not to do x, then you ought to do x. Analytic ethics for the win.
  24. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I want the Normal/Ghost to be a paper pokémon. Thin defenses, Sniper/Super Luck and a shitload of Attack, Speed and cutting moves. Bitch gonna hurt

And seriously, why create a new type that resists Dragon. Just let Ice resist it (dragons technically are reptiles and they're cold-blooded, so it makes sense for Ice to both resist AND be strong against Dragons) and we'll be fine. They'd still be "overpowered", but we would at least have another option to beat them.
  25. 420

If they wanted to balance dragon types, I don't think adding one more type that resists it would fix the problem. People would still use dragons just because they're already so powerful one more resistance wouldn't change it really. The type would have to be really good, like say immune to dragon and resists fire and ground and has high base stats with super effective STAB on dragon/ground/flying, in which case you're just replacing one broken typing with another.

I guess it could work out, but it's not as simple as just adding a new type that resists dragon/is super effective on dragon and calling it a day.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)