1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labarith

labarith

I could totally see that. Basically Gengar, but with less defenses. It'd have more chances to switch in, and would be pretty hot.

However, I sort of want it to have obscene setup/transformation moves, so it can turn into a paper boat with water absorb, a paper plane with levitate, and a paper tyrannosaurus with mold breaker? :)
    The point is that Dragon isn't resisted by much. That's what Dragon is. If everything starts to resist dragon, then dragons become basically bug types - which is bad thematically.

Now, you might make the case that Outrage should go back to 90, which would probably kill a lot of dragons competitively... but I actually think they should experiment with more Outrage variants.
  2. Smashking

Smashking

Why is everybody saying that this gen is about genetics?? I was under the impression that X and Y and Z were the 3 axes of 3-dimensional space. And its the debut on the 3DS... hello?
    seemed to make the most sense to me.
  3. Sgt.Moose

Sgt.Moose

X and Y are also chromosomes and Japanese logos for games have small DNA thingy in them.

I want Dragon/Fight Pokemon, just for the lolz. Also Stunfisk needs an evolution, he is now almost usable in lower tiers so why the heck not. Most likely evo would suck decently too but it would be better than Stunfisk. Stunfisk could also use eviolite.

Also, no new types please.
  4. Redjar

Redjar

People are talking about a light type to balance things but it just skews them even more. If it resists dragon it's the new dragon essentially, if it hits dark for SE, that's even worse (because dark type is such a massively overpowered type as is... -_-. I know it isn't liked thematically but any light/saint type would have to be weak to dark. They can both hit each other for SE but it shouldn't resist dark if we are talking about balance. It should resist fighting though.

Anyway say we get an awesome light typing and some great new mons with it. What's gonna happen? Everyone will use them and people will complain about how old Pokemon aren't usable and people are only using the newest gen. Which is EXACTLY what happened in 5th gen so I know it would happen again.
  5. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

Worst thing is, even if we got a new type, called "Saint" in Japanese (probably "Spirit" in English), people would still anticipate a Light type until a type with that exact name was made.

In other news, Pokémon Smash! is running as we type. Can anybody report from it? Is there a Twitter channel or anything? There was a rumour they would give out some more news of the sixth generation.
  6. Lilligant562

Lilligant562

GameFreak should just form this type to rub it into the robbing SuitKings at Konami for charging Mega$$$'s for just a bunch of bendable, non-waterproof cards =D

Light type would be a great addition to our Pokes, and at 17 types (?) I'm sure the type chart isn't quite finished.
  7. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Serebii is probably covering.
  8. CountBleck

CountBleck

I hope we get some silhouettes at least.
  9. Lilligant562

Lilligant562

They should just try and make Pokes that are less abuseable by the Boosting items tbh, it's sickening seeing how many scarfers-Orbers-Bandaids ruin the game =/
  10. Sgt.Moose

Sgt.Moose

And about new moves, i just want Fight-type Pursuit.
  11. Redjar

Redjar

Oh on the contrary, with team preview move sets and items are the only means of surprise a team can have now.

Also, Any poke that is a usable without items is just more abusable with them.

@sgt moose: nooooo way fighting doesn't need the boost
  12. Lilligant562

Lilligant562

Priority special/physical Electric 50 Base-power move to punish the rain abusers =D
  13. Lilligant562

Lilligant562

A limiting clause would be Ok, it's very fiendishly hard to counter 1-2x Scarfer, 2x LifeOrb, 1 Band plus defender methinks. Some players just break it out with 5x LifeOrb + defender xD
  14. Lilligant562

Lilligant562

Anyways, looking forward to the new GoodMons, seeing how fast PKMNCo have put this out, they must be sitting quite confident in their release! Can't wait, and it's not just for the drop-jaw view =D
  15. Skore

Skore

Would be a shocker if Yveltal turned out to be flying/poison and Xerneas Grass/Electric.
  16. Agonist

Agonist You were my last great war, you were my heaven ablaze
    is a Forum Moderator

No.
  17. Furosuto

Furosuto

Guys, perfect idea, if we want to balance the metagame because of how many dragons are "overpowered", let's make more dragons to counter THOSE dragons!

Logic!
  18. Himanattsu

Himanattsu

Dissapointed...
  19. Ryanide

Ryanide

Man I haven't gotten this hype about Pokemon in a long time.

Ok, so we've established that the 'theme' this time around is either X-Y co-ordinates pertaining to dimensional space, or X-Y values referring to genetics. Considering that this game is coming out on the 3DS, nintendo is going to want to push the 3D gimmick of their handheld, which means that dimensional space to me feels much more natural. The games will probably be based on both dimensional space and genetics research.

This leads me to speculate that:

* Mewtwo, Mew, Eevee, Metagross and Deoxes may have some part to play in the storyline, being established genetics pokemon. Genetics has actually been a recurring theme in almost every Pokemon gens so far, and so has space (as in outer space)

* This new game may have us traveling to another dimension. I think something like this would be linked into the game's mechanics, perhaps being similar to Entralink and the main Player-to-player interaction mechanic.

* Black and White explored themes of tolerance and respecting the views of other people as it's moral. Black and White points of view, etc. Differences. X and Y, I feel the theme will be more about unity this time around. Bonding with other people and Pokemon, making friends, and empathy for others. That's just a hunch I'm getting.

* The games may possibly make use of the 3DS camera to 'explore a new dimension' or something. Nintendo's done it before with that one Pokemon spin-off camera game. I'm sure they can do it again and they'd be silly not to make use of the 3DS's features.

*At one point we see the male protagonist being followed by a female NPC. She doesn't look like a professor though. Some kind of early game tutorial? Perhaps even your rival?

As for my wishes for this gen, I really would like to see more evolutions of existing Pokemon, honestly. There are so many out there just begging for evolutions. I'd also love to see more universal counters to overcentralising themes in the current metagame. An item that works as a one-time use Cloud Nine or Rapid Spin would be swell. I'd also love to see more evolite type items that boost the attributes of unevolved Pokemon.

Also, maybe even a new ability that acts like intimidate, but removes the opponent's boosts and status ailments when you send out your pokemon? It could stop your opponent's sweep in their tracks, but if you use it too recklessly they'll predict it and use it against you to heal one of their inflicted Pokemon.
  20. labarith

labarith

It's clearly both 3d and dna.

As for previous era pokemon; while I think we're getting more of a G4 than a G5, I sincerely doubt Mew and Mewtwo will have jack squat to do with this, same with the others.

As for different dimensions, I strongly suspect it plays into the nordic theme. In theory, you could "cross over" to another player's game, more or less like the crappy BW effect, but actually capture pokemon and battle. Perhaps even work together with the other player.

While I doubt we're getting much in the way of virtual reality/3ds camera gameplay, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a minigame or two, or something similar.

As for your "one time cloud nine item", that makes a lot of sense. A "rapid spin" item, too, would be pretty neat, although a magic bounce item might be crueller... even if it's only a one-time thing.

I've struggled for the win with a Choice item recently; so yes. :)
  21. Redjar

Redjar

Even bigger shocker if Yveltal was ground/water and Xerneas were fire/flying
  22. Blazen

Blazen

Smash just finished. No new info revealed.
  23. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

Pokémon Smash! is just over. Nothing was announced.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Anyway, we've known about these games for approximately five days now. There are still some two hundred-odd days 'till the games are out. Plenty of time to learn new stuff, and speculate. And be annoyed at newcomers saying the exact same things as has been posted a hundred times in the thread already.
  24. keleyeemoh

keleyeemoh

Well, Pokémon Smash was a big waste of time.
  25. CountBleck

CountBleck

bleh
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)