1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

I don't understand this post.
  2. Preved Medved

Preved Medved

Great,another starter that sucks.
  3. Deaga

Deaga

I guess JOlteon's a Bug-type too, then.
  4. RawrSpoon

RawrSpoon

I think he's attempting to say that grass/bug vs fire/psychic gives the grass starter a decent chance to win the battle.
  5. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

Nah, Poison-type Flareon.
  6. frogoholic101

frogoholic101

He's saying a fire move would wreck a Grass/Bug Chespin and that would induce ragequitting in the early rival battles.
  7. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

Grass/Bug is 4x weak to Fire, while offering no adequate method of fighting back against Fennekin.
  8. Aerophoenix

Aerophoenix

Regardless, the information in that "article" seems to stem from guesses (like Chespin getting Pin Missile) and obvious notes from the trailer (see the other two's moves in the trailer).
  9. EtherDrive

EtherDrive

Pin missle doesn't straight up mean bug. Look at the current mons who have it.

Melee doesn't straight up mean fighting either, but if they are doing second type reversal it only makes sense to do dark, psychic, and fighting.....

Gamefreak is too intelligent to do a damp jellicent, levitate rotom f on us right...... Riiiiiight?
  10. blasphemy1

blasphemy1

Well, Damp Jellicent isn't much use, but it's not like it doesn't do anything at all. It prevents Pokemon from using Explosion, which can be useful against Dual Screen Pokemon who want to maintain momentum by suiciding. Obviously, no one wants to waste their ability for such a specific task, but Damp does have a use on a Ghost-type. Levitate Rotom-F is inexplicable.

Meanwhile, Pin Missile seems reasonable for Chespin. Regardless of typing, a lot of Pokemon with spike-like features (fur, spikes, etc.) can learn it. Why must a conclusion always be arrived at from such little (possibly false) information? It was clearly just a guess based on its design.
  11. Aerophoenix

Aerophoenix

At this point, trying to guess type based on displayed moves (which are guesses) is just as inaccurate as trying to guess them on physical straits of the starters' first forms. I mean, who'd have guessed that Tepig would become part Fighting-type based on its looks?

and just for reference, here are examples of Pokemon who learn the following moves by level up without getting STAB:
    NIGHT SLASH: Dugtrio, Persian, Farfetch'd, Sceptile, Gliscor
    SHADOW CLAW: Charizard, Kecleon
    CONFUSION: Butterfree, Noctowl, Gorebyss
    CLOSE COMBAT: Zangoose, Staraptor

So even if those are those moves in the trailer, they don't have to in any way indicate the starters' types. Plus, keep in mind this is a new visual frontier,s so animations are bound to change, some quite drastically.
  12. Blazi

Blazi

To be honest, the only things I REALLY want in this game, are:

- Being able to transfer your pokemon from Gen V to Gen VI.
    - Being able to play online 6 vs 6 AND level 100 easily on wifi. No more 3 vs 3 lvl 50 crap. Also not being able to see the opponents team would lead to more unpredictable matches, which is good imo.
    - As mentioned before, the power creep. The average Gen V pokemon is way stronger than the average Gen I/II. Gamefreak, please no more 140+ Atk/SpA mons, unless they're legendaries.

I trust Gamefreak to do everything else well (or amazing).
  13. theBEEZ KNEEZ

theBEEZ KNEEZ

nearly pisssed my pants

one of the funniest office moments ever
  14. Magolor

Magolor

I think that he is talking about grass/bug being 4x weak to fire. Even though secondary typings are rarely present in the first evo
  15. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

As of now, the only starter with a secondary type is Bulbasaur.
  16. Redless

Redless

Bulbasaur's second type is really just a fluke; it was gen 1. But as for Chespin's evo, I don't think it is very likely that it would be bug type because Chespin looks nothing like a bug. Also that wouldn't be very kind of gamefreak.
  17. Bugbot

Bugbot

The article is just about some guy's opinion on starters. Also, nobody reads the whole sentences here.
    That's like saying:
    "What do you want to bet that Flareon will not get Flare Blitz?"

It doesn't confirm anything. It's just some guy saying that he thinks Chespin will learn Pin Missile because of flavor reasons. It doesn't mean Chespin will be a Grass/Bug type. I repeat, this article is just some guy's opinion. There are tons of opinions like these all around here, Serebii, etc.

Oh (open)
    In the Diamond/Pearl trailer, Buizel's first shown move was Swift. Did it confirm it was gonna be a Normal-type? Of course not. So why should Fennekin UNDENIABLY become a Fire/Psychic type? It's the same logic.

Still aren't convinced yet? Dewott was revealed to learn Revenge by level-up in BW. Did Samurott become a Water/Fighting type? Nope!

Don't expect fancy typings yet. Ninetales can learn Extrasensory and that doesn't make it a Fire/Psychic type. I'm not saying these type combos are impossible, but they are not THAT likely.
  18. Furosuto

Furosuto

I think what they're saying is that Chespin will be evolving into some sort of hedgehog design, as they said it was based off of a hedgehog and it has pin missile.

Of course, other pokemon that are just spiky get pin missile, such as Jolteon, Cacnea.... The list could go on and on really.
  19. Ivysaurtrainer

Ivysaurtrainer

Thats why old pokemon would retroactively become light type, such as ampharos and lanturn...

and Light type wouldn't touch dragon types, It would be resistant to more prominent types and be weak to less fortunate types such as poison, grass...
    it would balance out alot of types
  20. Quickster

Quickster

Compare Swift's distribution with Confusion. You'll see that more non-Normal types than Normal types are given Swift. Confusion is given almost exclusively to Psychic types or Bug types. This is why Swift is incomparable to Confusion. Swift's distribution is absolutely no indication whatsoever on the Pokemon's type, while Confusion almost certainly is.

Revenge and Extrasensory are similar to Swift in their distribution. Neither of these two moves are even remotely comparable to Confusion, so please don't try to compare them. Even if Revenge was a Fighting-exclusive move, the fact that Confusion is a Psychic/Bug exclusive move doesn't change. Sure, Fennekin isn't guaranteed to be a Psychic-type but it's a very likely possibility.
  21. iKinkajou

iKinkajou

No doubt that this has been said before, but Froakie looks a lot like Benjamin Franklin. The game also happens to look like Pariz, a city Benjamin Franklin often visited in the American revolution. He also discovered the LIGHTning was not FIRE but rather a form of ELECTRICITY.

Froakie confirmed water/light/electric type.

Pokemon confirmed trytypes
  22. Ivysaurtrainer

Ivysaurtrainer

Yes exactly! boosting items have become way to overused, and I hate the idea of getting a huge power boost for picking just one move. Pokemon is about using a variety of moves for each situation, and GF just kind of ruins everything when they say you can now have one super powered move, I would like to see the game shift away from sweeping and see more teams win by being intelligent and using the right moves at the right time.
  23. Halcyon.

Halcyon. Come on, she's not burned; she's just gone.
    is a Contributor to Smogon

While that may be true, you don't necessarily know that the move Fennekin used was confusion. It could just as easily be Extrasensory, Psywave, Growl, or perhaps a new move entirely.
  24. Quickster

Quickster

If anything, choice items force you to play even more intelligently. By nature, choice items are risk items. If you mispredict, you're forced into a move which stops your momentum. Choice items force you to predict switch-ins and play more efficiently to prevent this. In fact, this can be defined by the last part of your post:

Edit: @above, However, it seems like most people are assuming that the move used was Confusion. If this is true, Fennekin is almost guaranteed to be a Fire/Psychic type. The same applies for Psywave.
  25. Punchshroom

Punchshroom para is worse than sleep
    is a Community Contributor

The "being intelligent and using the right moves at the right time" part does still exist: after all, you aren't the only ones with access to powerful moves. The power creep is noticeable, but so far the items have not broken the metagame and have in fact balanced or at least diversified it. No items (with the sole exception of Soul Dew) have been considered "overpowered" by any means, and any item that gives a significant boost either has a notable drawback (Choice items, Life Orb) or requires specific conditions to work (Expert Belt, Elemental Gems).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)