1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yveltal

Yveltal

I'm not sure how to feel about the possibility of other pokemon outside of the tao trio digi-xrossing.
    For the most part, it's because that was the big gimmick for BW2. There's gotta be new crazy evolution methods that they haven't tried yet.
  2. Satisfaction

Satisfaction

A convergent evolution will probably have 2 different types of movesets that arent neccessarily interchangeable, I'd rather just keep with the current system and have a mon with a large assortment of moves on its own
  3. Count Serperior

Count Serperior

Banana Meteor is the single best move in existence.

I'm all for Grass/Dragon, sadly Serperior isn't one :[

Gila Monsters are great, but isn't Groudon based on it? Or just the color at least. The Dragon/Poison would be cool as a 2-evo line with the Komodo dragon evolving into a giant filled lizard (Intimidate, anyone?)

We still need a dolphin and a roach.
    AND A Bug/Water YANMA PREVO. A Nymph pokemon, it'll have the same base stats as Yanmega coz dragonfly nymphs are onsterous (lower defenses due to eviolite?). Swift Swim/Compound Eyes, omg the possibilities!

Edit:
    Thanks Furosuto, I already knew about the Behemoth/Laviathan inspiration, but I meant the basis of the design, animal-wise. Like how Kyogre is meant to be an Orca, Groudon is meant to be a Gila Monster; or at least that's what I've always thought.
  4. labarith

labarith

I could easily see a NidoranM/NidoranF-esque gendered pair that evolves into the same pokemon... but I think I'd prefer, say, 2 different snakes that evolved into a dragon with two forms that are almost indistinguishable, but are different. This would be like a reverse Nidoran thing, where it's actually 2 different pokemon mischaracterized as one, not one mischaracterized as 2.
  5. Compton kid

Compton kid

6. Furosuto

Furosuto

Groudon and Kyogre were based off of the behemoth and the leviathan in the Bible, which were said to fight against each other in the end times. Just like how Kyogre and Groudon fight and the game goes apocalyptic.
  7. Gokuzbu

Gokuzbu

Electivire and Magmortar fuse into an Electric/Fire uber
  8. GRs Cousin

GRs Cousin

I'm just gonna leave this here for anyone who wants to come up with any undone type combos.

Ones I'd like to hear ideas for the most are Fire/Ice, Electric/Dark, Poison/Dragon, and Psychic/Ghost.
  9. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

Ok, surprisingly no one thought of this yet, but you know how the scientist at Devon Co. spoiled the dream world years before it came out? Another, lesser known scientist also had an idea. The ability to talk to pokemon. Another person earlier said in an interview after the release, it was said that people will bond even more closely to their pokemon. I see some possible ideas on how that could occur......
    Anyway, an idea I had was something parallel to iv's and ev's. You know how there's that episode where this girl trains sandshrew in a pool, making it resistant to water? What if you did that in game? Based on where your pokemon fought, it would gain a slight resistance to a certain typing each battle it has. It would have a max of course, and since the game is going to be pretty hard to crack from what I've heard , no one would likely know exactly where to train. So we'd have people saying that training in thi area might give you grass and water resist and another fire resist, and no one would fully know the truth! It would be all about your personal training method. In fact, get rid of ev's, replace them with something such as a system where you may have to train pokemon in a certain area, perhaps a minigame-like thing, to raise it's stats. Also bring back a revamaped pokeathalon and contest hall. Make winning in them things that can be considered as large an achievement as competative battling. Add lots more weekly events and wi-fi pokeathalons and contests with random matches, and you'd have a lot more reasons to keep coming back to places, since there would always be something to discover and something to learn. I would love a pokemon game where one of my friends might love contests and another pokeathalons, and another telling me about all the new things they discovered in the game. I just realized this, there is dlc in pokemon dungeon now. I hope this means it'll also be in pokemon. Maybe even completely new pokemon releases that are created after the game is finished. In fact, the c-gear shows us that gamefreak might even be on-board with real time wi-fi running-round-with-your-friend-around-the game-world multiplayer, and with possible dlc (at least new areas or storylines that look back on earlier games, maybe even better), it's possible this game will be a serious revolution, no matter how far-fetched some of these seems to be. I mean, at least one of these ideas will come close to being true, right?
    As for pre-evo's, I just want one. A kangaskhan prevo. I personally dislike prevos since many will never end up on your team in the game, but this is something that was probably coded in for r/b/y. I want to see it. Maybe even make it linked between cubone and kangaskhan, and add evolutions to marowak and kanghaskhan. Evolutions I want are a nincada evolution that keeps it's cool bug/ground typing, and a evolution for far-fetched, audino, and sableye and mawile, as they are all viable, having no flavor-text baggage like zangoose and serviper to stop a lovely glisior/scisor/weavile-like improved evolution from appearing.
    That's all i've got. Make what you want of it.
  10. czechm8

czechm8

Just a few ideas. Octillery should totally get an evo in to the Kraken, and it could be water steel. It would still be slow, but have really good attacking stats and keep octillery's insane move pool.

The only animal I can think of that's like a real life fire type is the bombardier beetle, so a fire /bug based off that would be sweet.

Also a few pages back a poke's shadow was mentioned as a possible mon. The mon could be a psycic type that has something like 70/60/60/125/110/115 and then when it holds an item called like "bright lantern" or something that would cause in to cast a shadow it turns into a dark type with 70/125/110/60/60/115 stats. Sorta like a weavile but with a little less speed and more def.

Also if they make an austrialia game every mon should be part poison (j/k)
  11. shockwave527

shockwave527

People are talking about all the gen 3 pokemon they should evo and how they shouldn't gen 1 or 2. Let's not forget, in gen 4, they added to gen 3 as well, so what about gen 5? What pokemon do you think need/will get an evolved form or baby form?

I could see a throh/sawk pre-evo, like tyrogue to hitmonlee/chan.
    Maybe something with Maractus?

Honestly, I don't see much they could add to gen 5. A lot are 3 form, the 2 forms mostly seem complete and over all it doesn't seem like there's much they can really do to expand on the pokemon in it.
  12. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

Also, what's with all the prevo love? Preevolutions do almost nothing except create cannon. What we need are new evolutions, or even prevos that link two pokemon species. I've heard a lot of milktank/tauros going on, and I really like kanghaskhan/marowak, and that might cause gamefreak to even add evolutions to those, creating possible newcomers to ou. As I remember, milktank is a bulky defender, correct?
  13. shockwave527

shockwave527

Idea for the game:
    What if they made it so area battling in had an effect? Say in a field grass is boosted and water weakened, or:
    volcano = fire+ rock+ grass-
    underater = water++
    above water = water+
    In the air (they need to add places in the air) = flying+ ground-
    forest = bug+ grass+ dark+
    Night outdoors = dark+
    City = steel+ poison+
    Factory = steel+ electric+
    Graveyard = Ghost+
    Etc. etc.

Like a passive weather that doesn't apply in wifi battles but effects where you are in game.
  14. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

I have a similar idea in fact. Making you fight pokemon on their own turf, like the desert or in a blizzard, is a great concept to me, as it means you'll have to be prepared, not competative prepared, but prepared, for a possible disadvantage coming up as you explore the game world, which I kinda like, because it builds on my idea of getting more resistance to a certain type based on where you fight, and adding a challenge if you wanted, say, a fire type with a slight resistance to water.
  15. Yveltal

Yveltal

The only problem with that is Duelist Kingdom.
    No, but really, the big problem is that with this and the prospect of an added weather condition, some in-game opponents might become overpowered and could prove to be too challenging. Maybe in a new Battle Frontier facility...otherwise, the game programmers would have to put in another expansive resting place for dead pokes, a for-serious factory and a castle in the sky to be fair to every attribute.
  16. labarith

labarith

Well, I don't know that I want areas to be so linear, but yeah - I'd like to see an expansion of the kind of areas we've seen. Of course, this is going to mean more variations of "grass"... or areas where you can encounter pokemon w/o grass - like the haunted tower (can act like your graveyard field).

They should also have a wifi option where the field is randomized. Because of this, I think there should be only a limited # of wifi fields... probably a dozen is too much, but ~ 6 seems fair:
    1. Graveyard - thematically, this is just hot. Psychic, Ghost, Dark
    2. Pool - Water, Ice, Poison
    3. Volcano - Fire, Rock, Ground
    4. Grass Patch - Grass (note that this makes Grass types very strong in-game... since most combat is on the grass), Bug (again....)
    5. Factory - Steel, Electric, Normal
    6. Training Ground - Flying, Fighting

As for "passive weather", I think boosting those type moves by .25% seems fair.
  17. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

almost every game has had it's factory and pokemon graveyard-tower. They've even snuck a few hints at a religion in gen 5 and 6. So it wouldn't be an absol-lutely trubbish idea. If you shuckle away the negatives in fact, it might be an idea that, seriously, should have been here since gen 3 with it's weather emphasis.
  18. Arcticblast

Arcticblast LOL STAFF FAG
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Just pointing out that if they were trying to "sneak in" religion there wouldn't have been a church in Hearthome City in DPP.

Also oh goodness the puns
  19. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

I mean, no implications of a serious religion, just random building where there's no music and lots and lots of philosophical speaking.
  20. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!

Alright, just going to come in and try and bring the discussion here a little bit back down to earth.

Some of the suggestions being made on this thread are drastic. I'm not saying they're bad persay, but there's a number of reasons why it's all really pointless fantasizing.

One reason is simple; a lot of the speculation here is super specific. The more specific your speculation about things is, the less likely it is to come true. When you start getting into the actual mechanics of the things you're suggesting instead of just a general idea, the chance of your idea being right drastically drops.

Now that being said, I think most of you guys realize that. What I think a lot of you ARE forgetting though is that Gamefreak is a business. Their first and foremost goal is to make money. Furthermore, Pokemon is a long established, very successful series that has historically remained successful, and has done so by leaving its core mechanics mostly untouched. When this sort of thing happens in business, the general inclination of companies is NOT to innovate, but to be conservative and stick to what the know what works. It's standard risk management. They know they have to change a bit to keep people interested, but the last thing they want to do with a cash cow like Pokemon is risk derailing it with anything too drastic.

If Gamefreak decides it wants to do some of the things you're suggesting, it's much more likely to occur in a spin-off game, where diverging from the norm is expected. Putting something as drastic as a complete restructuring of the way Pokemon are trained after literally a DECADE of success with the current formula is not likely to happen in a main series game. They might make small tweaks, but they are simply not going to throw out everything they've built up over the past 10 years in favor of an unproven system.
  21. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

Anyway, a bigger emphasis on where you fight would be great. Also, I would like a bigger bond between you and the pokemon that doesn't require ev training. Keep Iv's and natures, but bonding doesn't feel quite like bonding when that bond may be boiled down to cold logic and calculations.
  22. shockwave527

shockwave527

Underground or dirt/desert could be ground, rock
    But with the grass patch thing, it could be that normal patch are considered "path" with no effect, but certain heavier-grassed area's you'd run across would be considered "Field".

With the "passive weather", it could boost moves slightly and up defense to pokemon of that type. I'd think it'd also need something where pokemon that don't work in the environments (ground types in the sky, water/grass in a volcano, electric in a mountain) would be at a disadvantage and have some stats/moves lowered.

With this, they'd probably also implement moves which can change the field to either a specific or a basic field.
  23. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

But EVs aren't that complicated and directly power up the Pokemon over battles
  24. shockwave527

shockwave527

I know. I used to play the games, catching everything in sight, naming them, always keeping my starter on my team, never trading something I had named, using pokemon I liked because I liked them and thought they were cool.

Now I EV train, buy proteins etc, pre-pick my team beforehand with pokemon, ability so that I have good type coverage and that they're all good, try to get a good nature, and all in all, it's a lot less fun.
  25. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

Since I'm pretty sure you're addressing me, I'll give an answer. Yes, many of the ideas on this thread are insane, including mine, but some are simple to slip in, and some ideas like evolutions are not ridiculous. Saying "put it in a spinoff" is not the answer. Some things in pokemon simply could be better, or could at a layer of depth. What makes pokemon fun is how simple it is to learn, and how deep the mechanics go. So what gamefreak should do if they really are milking, is add new mechanics that don't make the game harder to understand in simplest form (easier training, more battle attributes). In fact, They did some changes in black 2 and white 2, where you would occasionally run into areas with changing weather. Did we love the game less? No. Adding tweaking just makes the games better, and if we must endure a bit of suffering for a great change, so be it. Because like how I marveled at the animated trainers and sprites in gen 5, I will marvel at whatever else they include.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)