1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

[​IMG][​IMG]

...well they're both birds wit head horns, I guess
  2. Shakerag

Shakerag

How can you not look at Froakie and think "spectacles and powdered wig"?

Also, the number one thing I want from the new games is an easy way to transfer 649 pokemon from BW/BW2 to XY.
  3. Psycho Cut

Psycho Cut

I've got really mixed feelings about this release...

On the one hand, I think this release is far too soon. I mean, the normal Generation Gap is 4-5 years, this has been 2. I like the normal length of time, it allows me to properly anticipate the new games, which I haven't been able to do here. Besides, I haven't fully completed White 2 (and I think there's a lot more Nintendo can do to drag out these games) and I have the new Mystery Dungeons to give me my Pokémon Game fix this year.

I also think that this short gap could have bad effects in the future. maybe the gaps will always be this short, which I feel will reduce the quality of the games, as well as make competitive battling a bit of a pain. Also, the real bummer for me, is the fact that this may mean there'll be no RSE remakes. Third Gen was by far my favourite Generation and I was really looking forward to them getting remakes and it would've been awesome if they were the first on 3DS.

I guess there's a lot of good possibilities from this release. Perhaps Nintendo are releasing so soon because they wanted to get a main series title on 3DS but didn't want to wait the full length of time because they're releasing a new handheld console that'll eclipse the 3DS. Realistically though, I think we all know the reason: To boost 3DS Sales.

On the positive side though, the games' graphics look really, really good. Just moving away from the little pixelated sprites we're used to is fantastic and it looks like they're taking what they did with Castelia to a whole new level. I guess there's not much to be said about the Pokémon at the moment, but here's hoping that Game Freak will do a good job. The starters are fairly meh, in my opinion, perhaps even the worst lot yet, though I guess we should wait until the evolutions are unveiled to make that decision. Nothing will ever eclipse the RSE starters though. I've made my choice (Chespin) too. However, looking at the fire starter, I think we can (hopefully) make one excellent conclusion: No Fire-Fighting Starter! Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention. That Y-Legendary is possibly the coolest Pokémon I have ever seen.

So, in summary, I'm not too keen on these releases, and, with all the other things being released this year, neither is the wallet. If there's anything that'll change my mind though, it's the graphics and that Y-Legendary!
  4. Gaburaisu

Gaburaisu

I always seem to come back whenever a new generation is announced, haha.

Hey do you guys think that maybe Fennekin could just be using a stat-altering move like Growl? The way its head is moving seems like it would be. I mean, yes, I'm not ruling out that the pink aura could hint to Confusion, but look what happened when we expected starter secondary types the last time around. As long as the Fox doesn't end up being part Fighting, I'll be okay with the world.
  5. VN.

VN. the birds pt. 1
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hopefully the new gen doesn't nuke defense like BW2 attempted to, maybe there will be Steel/Ghost spinblock with Levitate or a new entry hazards. Competitive isn't a big deal at the moment though, I just really want to [Buy a 3DS] and relax playing Pokemon. Don't love any of the starters but don't hate any either. Kind of disappointed about Froakie since we got a frog thing last gen and they could have done something cooler like a Shark/Dolphin/Dinosaur :|
  6. The Cicada

The Cicada

palpitoad was a toad, not a frog.
  7. TaBuu

TaBuu

I've got a pretty good feeling that the FireFox will be something like Fire-Psychic. You know. Alla dat pink energy must've been psychic.

I feel the frog has the most potential. IDK why. It just looks like it's going to evolve into one bad-ass PapaToad.

And then we have the edible foodsour-...I mean Chestnut Boy.

The 3D is really a huge leap, and TBH I'm really going to miss the good old days of Sprites :(
    But having 3D Battles definitely compensate; although one can tell this 3D stuff still has a way to go. It just doesn't look too complete yet.

Oh. And GameFreak:
    1) Make Lucario King once more. Give it another evolution or a new ability. Maybe a new move...although I'm not sure what that would do.
    2) Don't you dare give Salamence some Uber-Ability to overtake our poor Dragonite. Just don't think about it.
  8. Melee Mewtwo

Melee Mewtwo lol, nice
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Calliing it now, Starter typings are going to be: Grass/Ghost, Fire/Psychic, Water/Normal.
  9. ChaosAkita

ChaosAkita

I'm wondering with the shift to 3d what the next generation of battle simulators will be like. I've been playing them since the release of GSC and Netbattle.
  10. keleyeemoh

keleyeemoh

I only have one minor complaint about this, and it's that it looks like we won't be getting Zoroark as a playable character in the next Super Smash Bros. now. Oh well.

And uh, are they going to give us Meloetta before these come out or what?
  11. MakaiMai

MakaiMai

Part of me wants to count how many times people have given starter typing predictions in this thread, and how many of them are redundant.

The other part is telling the first part that it's not worth the time or effort, and I'd probably be here all day considering how fast this thread is growing. (344 people viewing at time of this post)
  12. GRs Cousin

GRs Cousin

Bold speculation time. Hoping these haven't already been said in the thread.

Starters are Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting
    Look at :36, :44, and :52, respectively. They each use moves that seem like they would be the aforementioned types. In addition, having this sort of triality would mean the Rock-Paper-Scissors mechanic of the starters would work both ways.

The Legendaries are Dark/Flying and Something/Fighting-type, and are Trio Masters of Gen. V
    Dark/Flying should be a given for Y's mascot. Generation V has shown us that not all Fighting-types necessarily have to be bipedal to have their typing, as seen with the Muskedeers. Among that thought, X's mascot looks very Deer-like, something that would fit in with the other Muskedeers if it was smaller. Additionally, every even-numbered Generation brings about a pair of trio masters, so it wouldn't be too far off to think this pair is part of the pattern. As such, Y-Bird, whom is similar to Tornadus' Therian forme as pointed out, could very well be the therian form of yet another Kami. Likewise, X-Deer could have relevance to the Muskedeers, leading to a likely type like Ice/Fighting or Psychic/Fighting.

The themes of Generation VI are Chaos and Order
    Frankly, with Yin-Yang out of the way, there really isn't anything left but straight-up Good and Evil/Light and Dark. Dark is known to be a chaotic type, which no doubt Y-Bird will be, and X-Deer definitely has that regal appearance to look like a lawful deity (that lawfulness tying into the Muskedeer theory once again). Hence, the games will go into the evils of both Chaos and Order, and how the both require a balance... Cue a pair of new villainous teams.
  13. Gary2346

Gary2346 A filthy casual
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Ugggg another 9 months in the BW2 meta game??? Oh well, I can wait.....

Anyways, everything looks awesome so far. For me the starters don't look absolutely spectacular like some people are saying, however I can imagine their evolution's looking good, since they almost always end up looking sick. The only starter that I'm a little disappointed in is Chespin. Like many have said, he looks like mixture of other mons, and just doesn't give me the same feeling the other two starters do. Froakie looks awesome, and Fennikin looks pretty cool. I predict Fennikin will have the coolest final third evolution form, just because it seems like the least threatening starter always ends up evolving into something badass (Chimchar and Infernape, Oshawott and Samurott, Torchic and Blaziken etc.) This also means that Chespin is in the same boat as well. Holy shit I'm so pumped!

I can't wait to see how the meta game will be effected by this generation. Each Gen always brings huge changes, but will 6th gen bring changes like 5th gen did where it not only changed the meta game but pretty much redefined it? Especially OU. The two new legendaries don't look cliche, and hopefully will steer away from the Dragon typing like 3rd and 2nd gen did. 5th gen to me brought way too many Dragon types, and I think I've had enough Dragon types in OU let alone Ubers. The X mascot looks like a Psychic Steel type, which is a pretty awesome type combination defensively (look at Bronzong even without Levitate.) The Y mascot I must say looks insanely bad ass. Like a HO-OH on crack. It's hard telling it's type since it's appearance doesn't really give it away. I can almost guarantee it's Flying because....well it's flying around, so there's one type we know. It's most not likely pure Flying type because I don't think game freak want's another Tornadus, so its other typing could possibly be maybe Fighting, Dark, or Psychic. I doubt they'd have two psychic types, so Flying/Dark makes a lot of sense to make them sound like opposites. Flying/Fighting would be an awesome combination sense it's unique (not counting CAP Tomohawk). Having a flying type that's neutral to Rock, 4x resistant to Bug types, and neutral to Stealth Rocks is huge. If this thing gets Hurricane, holy shit Y would destroy everything in Ubers. That is, if it's special based. Looks like it could be more physical though, like HO-OH.

Lastly, it's hard to tell what the starters typing will end up being once they reach their 3rd evolution, but I have a few predictions. Chespin looks like it could possibly be maybe a Grass/Dark. The other two I honestly have no idea. Fennekin appears to fire off some kind of Psychic attack, but who knows it could be Fire/Psychic. Now Froakie is even harder to guess, but it looks like it uses a Fighting move so maybe our first Water/Fighting starter. Who knows.

Anyways, I'm super pumped for this game. Sucks we have to wait a long ass time, but it will be here before you know it. In the mean time, I'm off to OU so I can fight some more Politoads -_-
  14. GreenWailord

GreenWailord

I'm going to have to agree with everyone that Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting are the starters final types.

As for the legendaries types, I say they both are part of a new type. Possibly Mutant. Why? It is hard to tell what type the might be (except flying), and the possible DNA theme indicated by the double helix in the Japanese logos.

Also, the X legendary is based off of Megaloceros.
  15. LucaroarkZ

LucaroarkZ

Wow, GameFreak may have hit the peak of laziness.... Pokemon X and Pokemon Y. I may be in the minority, but I hope those are working names and not final.

Regardless, I'm pretty excited. In particular, Fennekin looks awesome and will probably get me back into choosing the Fire starter. Froakie isn't amazing-looking or anything in my opinion, but it's better than most of the generation 5 Pokemon (I'm looking at you Garbodor!)

The worldwide release is pretty cool too since that means we don't have to wait as long for the English games as we used to.

I think the Y legendary looks awesome so I'll probably end up buying Pokemon Y.
  16. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

I think I've dechiphered the most prominent ability of our new friend the X-Deer: The power of staying upright.

Look at its picture: http://serebii.net/legends.png

Notice how:

1) Most of its mass appear to be in the antlers, suggesting a point of gravity somewhere in its head.

2) Its feet are all touching the ground to our right.

In other words, the Pokémon's center of gravity does not project vertically onto the horizontal plane spanned out by its points of support. In layman's terms: It should topple over.

Actually, even if the antlers were completely without mass, it would still fall. That pose means there is no support given by its right foreleg whatsoever, and the X-Deer would fall to the ground, possibly badly dislocating its right foreleg (given its complete unability to bend, and the position it will be in when the rest of the body falls over it).

Obviously, X-Deer must possess either the power to create objects it can lean against at will, or the power to bend the laws of physics.

This same thing also appears to apply to Fennekin. Notice how most of its mass is located in its head. If it manages to get up to running speed, how could it stop? It would be like a cycling man standing on his bike pedals, leaning forwards, and squeezing the front wheel brake. Bound to end with a noseplant.

...Damn, I've been too long in engineering school already.
  17. Ekaru

Ekaru

Whoa whoa whoa there! Let's look at the Japanese dates, shall we?

Gen 1: October 96
    Gen 2: November 99 (3 years after Gen 1)
    Gen 3: November 2002 (3 years after Gen 2)
    Gen 4: September 2006 (A tad less than 4 years after Gen 3)
    Gen 5: September 2010 (4 years after Gen 4)
    Gen 6: October 2013 (3 years after Gen 5)

As you can see, generation gaps actually have always been between 3 to 4 years in Japan, and this is consistent with that. Furthermore, the very first generation gap in the US was only 2 years (Sep. 98 VS Oct. 2000), so while it'll be a 2.5 year gap in the US it still won't be the shortest gap!

Don't fret about it. It's normal. It just doesn't feel that way because the generation gap is shorter over here due to the sudden removal of the localization delay and the later gens being the longer ones. :)
  18. Verminator

Verminator

I can't help but feel that this has been in the works for years, at least in terms of the graphics engine. I bet this predates the development of B/W 2 by quite a long stretch and possibly even B/W 1. Big shakeups in the formula like this suggests long periods of thought and hard work to me. At first I thought that the switch from sprites to 3D models might sap some of the charm and charisma of the Pokémon away, but the good work done on that front in the Colosseum breed of games on N64, Gamecube and Wii, as well as the 3D Pokédex is somewhat reassuring that that won't be the case. That cell-shaded Borderlands-esque look is brand new for any iteration of Pokémon though - that's a pretty bold choice of style and one I hope pays off.

A couple of subtle things I've noticed - it kinda looks like the female protag has two different outfits if you check her out at around the 20 second mark as contrasted with the 1 minute mark, at least, if they are in fact the same character (and the way the male protag stands in front of the mirror at the start of the trailer does suggest some customisation in clothing. I've seen that stand-in-front-of-the-mirror-while-you-change-clothes in too many other games before.) And is it me, but does the female protag have something riding on her shoulder in those 2 shots around the 20 second mark? It kind of looks like Fennekin to me, but could be something else. I can't tell, but I hope that's a feature that they make extensive use of. It was great in HG/SS, and it has to be one of the most oft-requested features for new games.

It was interesting to note that apart from the legendaries and starters, it was only old Pokémon in attendance. That strongly implies that it'll be a mix of new and old Pokémon available right from the get-go, which I approve of. While what Gen V did with its cast was admirable in a lot of ways, it allowed a couple of shitty or lazy designs to slip through the net to patch up gaps that older, better designed Pokémon could have covered no problem. So long as they don't go to far in the other direction, like in Sinnoh where there were too few new critters and an overreliance on old pokes or new baby / evolved forms thereof, then this will be ideal for me.

As for the actual Pokémon, well, I kinda hated the starters at first, but they've already started to grow on me a lot, a lot faster than the Gen V posse did. Especially Froakie, that cute little motherfucker. He's going to be my homie for sure. I hope the same holds true for their evolved forms (it seems mostly clear where Fennekin is headed, it'll probably end up looking something like Ninetails / Arcanine. The other two, I can't really say.) The giant bird-legendary (which I think I'll refer to as "Pokémon Y" for now) looks really cool even though it strongly reminds me of the bird colossus from Shadow of The Colossus. The game I'm getting is probably going to be the one that lets me catch it. However, I think the deer / moose / whatever legendary (Pokémon X) looks pretty dumb thanks to fact that it appears to have swords for legs and looks like a Christmas tree from Cybertron.

I'm surprised that I've got so much to say about a video that lasts less than two minutes. But no matter which way you look at it it's the end of an era for Pokémon and the beginning of a new one. While it's territory that's not gone untrodden (Pokémon Colosseum, XD) this will be the first time a fully 3D title has flown the main series standard, and it's highly probable that sprite-based games are a thing of the past. It's an end to a 17-year-old legacy, and that's a little scary. Well, that and the fact that now I'm pretty much obliged to fork out for a 3DS. My wallet is already sobbing quietly even as my inner fanboy squeals in feverish excitement.
  19. Uncanny Luck

Uncanny Luck

The longest gap between generations was between Gen 4 & 5 clocking in at 10 days short of 4 years. Every other gap is between 3 and 4 years, just like this gap is going to be (it has been 3 years since B&W came out).
  20. Espeon65

Espeon65

Personally for the pokemon's types (at least fully evolved), I think:

Chespin: Grass/Figthing? Grass/Dark? I'm not really sure.

Fennekin: Fire/Psychic (finally no Fire/Fighting!!!!!)

Froakie: Water/something. I have no clue.

Y legendary: Dark/Flying, but Fire/Flying isn't impossible.

X legendary: Grass/Steel, Grass/Psychic, etc. Think the same as you guys.

I really love Fennekin and the X legendary! I already know which game to get and which starter to use XD.
  21. Hank14

Hank14

I am going to have to agree with Gaburaisu, I think the move Fennekin is using is either growl or confusion. I think, however, the Fire/Psychic, Grass/Dark, and Water/Fighting are the most likely types. The sort of circles used in the second attack used by Fennekin is most reminiscent of the attack animation used currently by confusion. Chespin most likely used night slash as both the slashes attacked in the same direction. Had it been aerial ace, the slash animations would be in two different directions. Froakie, maybe jump kick? I dunno, I'm open to ideas. Could be fighting type since he was bouncing around quite a bit before delivering a kick. Froakie seems quite limber.

If Fennekin doesn't turn out to evolve Fire/Psychic, I have a few other guesses. Since fennec foxes spend a lot of time in the ground, I would not mind seeing a scrappy, speedy little Fire/Ground type. Flare Blitz/Earthquake or a Fire Blast/Earth Power has relatively good coverage and would negate stealth rock weakness. I could see some great choice sets coming from this. If I were to wish for a type, it would be Fire/Dragon. A Fire/Dragon Amateratsu sort of thing would just be so much damn fun, but I know it ain't going to happen. Probably the most likely type if it isn't psychic would be just pure fire. That would be just no fun.
  22. Shroomisaur

Shroomisaur Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.

Technically, I got back into the competitive battling here on Smogon a month or two ago, but there's nothing like an announcement of a new generation of Pokemon to get me back into a fervish posting spree discussing the new game's potential!

I see someone beat me to it, but after looking closely at the trailer, the starters all used 2 attacks: one of their primary type, and then a second one... which, for each one, was...

Grass: Shadow Claw
    Fire: Psychic/Confusion/etc
    Water: Wake-Up Slap?

Based on those attacks I'm pretty comfortable guessing that the starters will eventually become...

Grass/Dark (doubt they'd make a ghost starter),
    Fire/Psychic, and
    Water/Fighting.

If this holds up it would be wonderful, because finally we'd have starters that are weak to each other's primary type, but strong against their secondary type!
    On top of that, those combinations are uncommon, Grass/Dark only has Shiftry and Cacturne, Water/Fighting only has Poliwrath and Keldeo, and Fire/Psychic is only shared with Victini... I can't wait!
  23. Finitevus

Finitevus

To late. He got moxie...
  24. Uvood

Uvood

Starters: Grass/Fighting, Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting.

Okay, for the legendaries, I think they will both be part steel, and the deer is probably grass type, so Steel/Flying for Y and Grass/Steel for X, which are both cool typings, imo.

Other than that, extremely hyped for the Sixth generation, hopefully there will be alot of cool changes :D.
  25. Nubbins

Nubbins

What will PS do since the game is using actual 3D models instead of sprites? Assuming ofc there are no sprites for status screen and whatnot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)