1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yveltal

Yveltal

There was no fire on the screen at the time to confirm this. It is merely the whooshing caused by his wings.
    Though I could understand a correlation to Helios, or maybe Ouranos to a lesser extent. But he wouldn't need to be a part fire type for the former connection. It's all in Yveltals aesthetic.
  2. jackm

jackm

I'm not sure whether that can necessarily be interpreted as a flare sound. It most definitely doesn't "confirm" that Yveltal is a Fire-type.
  3. Lugiatina

Lugiatina

The reason that fighting is so strong is because there aren't many POKEMON THEMSELVES that have resistance to fighting. There are 4 types that are resistant to fighting right now (Poison/Bug/Flying/Psychic). Not to mention fighting already has an immunity (Ghost). Generally, it would not be that strong, however, with the lack of good poison types, defensive flying types, and bug types, it is VERY APPARENT that fighting would be too strong, not to mention many fighting types carry Stone Edge. Fighting itself already has enough resistances already even though there are not many pokemon in OU that resist it themselves.

Even a typing that sucks currently such as flying with its Stealth Rock weakness has less types that resist it than fighting does. The types that resist Flying currently are Electric, Rock, and Steel. However, those are plentiful in the OU metagame and there are pokemon that are powerful enough to abuse their typings, ex. Magnezone, Tyranitar, Jirachi, Skarmory, Metagross, etc, you can probably fill the rest out.
  4. MeteorMiss

MeteorMiss

Yeah, it's a bit difficult to wall dragons with ice/steel when half of them carry superpower and the other half carry fire blast. Anyway, if it was a Cryogonal evo (as some have suggested), its defense would be too low to tank even resisted Outrages.

The second idea is nice, allowing frailer pokemon to check scizor, etc. However, let's take a double battle, with a mold breaker pokemon on one side, and a magic bounce and "anti-mold breaker" pokemon on the other. The mold breaker pokemon attempts to set up rocks.

On one hand, mold breaker will negate magic bounce, and the rocks will be set up.

On the other hand, the anti-mold breaker pokemon will negate the mold breaker, and the rocks will be bounced.

On the third hand, mold breaker will negate anti-mold breaker, and... I think you get the point.
  5. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

I agree, we can't really assume typing just based off of a promotional video. Really, this entire thread is just wild speculation. I don't really see how His eyes represent blindness though, is it because he doesn't have irises or pupils? Idk, he looks pretty sinister, so i'm still leaning towards a Dark typing.
  6. Organization Member XIV

Organization Member XIV

Only when the Pokemon is ATTACKED. SR would be set up normally as the "anti-mold breaker" mon and Magic Bounce mon are on the same side. I think GF would have enough common sense to make sure situations like that would be avoided. It's not like the theoretical ability says it ignores your allies's ability.
  7. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

This is a very astute observation. It's not that fighting isn't resisted by lots of pokemon, it's just that these pokemon aren't suited to be successful in the current metagame.
  8. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!

I have no freakin' clue what you're talking about, despite rewatching that part of the trailer several times to try and catch your supposed flare sound. There's a wooshing sound when it flaps it's wings, but interpreting that as a flare sound is DEFINITELY nothing other than wishful thinking.

Personally I have very little idea as to what the new legendaries are going to have as their types. While Yveltal does a despite "dark" leaning look to him (I don't understand the claim that it's fire type, that red is much more reminiscent of blood than fire), it's rather hard to call. Still if I HAD to call it, I'd say Flying/Dark type.

Xerneas on the other had is completely inscrutable. It really doesn't fit ANY of the existing types. It does not look like a Grass type, the fact that it's in a forest be damned. It does share a coloration with Dialga somewhat, suggesting it MIGHT be Steel type, but really that's just because nothing else seems to fit. Electric type makes no damn sense since it doesn't have anything to really indicate it (sparkly antlers electric do not make). It looks about as Dragon-like as Stantler. All Dragon types to date have had either a reptilian or avian appearance, making it highly unlikely to me that it's dragon type. Normal type doesn't seem to fit either since it flat out doesn't look "normal" enough. The patterns on it don't look natural like the patterns on most normal types (plain stripes, splotches and the like are the norm), there's no fur on it anywhere or anything that looks like fur (most normal types are mamalian) (of course it has fur wtf am I talking about it's a fucking deer) and it doesn't fit the typical normal colour scheme. Then there's the fact that Normal-type legendary just seems... so dull. Doesn't fit a cover legendary. it doesn't look very Psychic. Wise yes but in the way of nature, not in the way of book learning or braininess.

The best I can come up with is maybe some sort of rock type due to the gems in its antlers? But that doesn't seem to really work either. I guess the type that fits it best is Steel, but other than that I don't know.

I also don't think it's very Light-type looking either. Take it out of that picturesce sunny forest and it doesn't look super holy or anything at all. Elegent and regal yes, but nothing screams "light" about it. And the light drenched setting really isn't a good indication, since Yveltal is also drenched in light above the clouds (the sun even shines through it for pete's sake) and no one seems to be suggesting IT is light type.

I have to say I'm deeply curious as to which typings they will have since I really cannot figure out just by looking. I just hope they announce it soon or it's going to eat at me for the next several months.
  9. Jimera0

You're very right about Fighting not being outbalanced itself; it's simply that the types that resist it struggle in OU currently due to being constructed of primarily shitty Pokemon.

I would like to point out though that Flying is NOT a bad type in OU. It actually has fewer Pokemon that resist it in OU than Dragon does, and flying is one of the most common types in OU, tied with Dragon types. The reason you don't seem many flying attacks in OU is because the distribution of its best moves is so terrible, and the few that do get them are generally incapable of abusing them properly. A better example would be Poison, which has only 4 OU members and NO ONE uses as an attack (not even the poison types themselves).

EDIT: Sorry about the double post, thought for sure someone would post something in the time it took for me to research this post lol.

and to anyone who say the Triple post before I deleted it... I have no idea how that even happened :S

EDIT2: WHY WAS MY EDIT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY POST AM I GOING NUTS?????
  10. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

Speaking of existing types, the best fit for him is Steel-type, but I think that the fact that it has shining horns and gems, means that it is the ideal candidate for the first Saint/Light legendary.

Sadly, as of now, nothing about a new typing came directly from GF's mouths. However, I think that if there's an ideal time to create a new type, this time is now.

Psychic isn't a Light-type as said above because Light triumphs over Darkness, which isn't the case with Psychic. Anyone that suggests that has to remember that if it is not to create a Light-type because we already have Psychic, or Electric, then Dark was not to be created because Ghost already existed, yet they created a separated type, and the two are very different, despite having similar coverage.
  11. labarith

labarith

Congrats! You're the 1,000th person to say this in this thread!

Tell the man what he's won, Jimmy!
  12. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

I love good research! Even on defense, Poison types get annihilated by one of the most common moves in pokemon, Earthquake. To make matters worse, Poison is resisted by a TON of stuff, most notably Steel. The Poison moves themselves are pretty lackluster. I would like to see a bigger Poison movepool with some different effects and what not. But whatever.
  13. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

A BRAND NEW PARROT! Now he can experience what it's like to be copied over and over again too! Congratulation Jolteon Bandit!
  14. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

Also

And what about other weathers? They can't get anything? Dragon-type could actually handle Flying-types well if they had a better Flying-type STAB. Yes, a Flying-type STAB would be viable to use on times where you don't want to lock yourself on Outrage.

Seriously, Hurricane actually has decent distribution, but can only be abused on rain, Acrobatics require no item, Brave Bird has shitty distribution, and all other moves are either too weak, or require 2 turns to function. I hope that Gen VI brings a good Flying-type move that HAS GOOD DISTRIBUTION between Flying-types. Especially Dragon-types, and Landorus. OH MY GOD LANDORUS. If you had a Flying-type attack, you would be the king...
  15. TaiCrunch

TaiCrunch

As a fellow Poison enthusiast, I agree. Give Acid a higher base power and give it a chance to burn. Make a radiation-poisoning type move that deteriorates stats over time, some sort of venom that can paralyze, a chloroform that can put a Mon to sleep , etc.
  16. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

Yeah, or maybe something like a reverse Ancientpower. It has a slight chance to decrease all of the opponent's stats by 1 stage. Face it, the only reason poison type pokemon are in OU is because of their dual typing, ability or situational move:
    - Tentacruel: Bulky WATER with Rapid Spin and Toxic Spikes
    - Toxicroak: Dry Skin and Rain equals lots of healing
    - Venusaur: Chlorophyll
    - Gengar: Levitate negates EQ weakness

Face it, would you use Gengar in OU if it would just be KO'd by any ground attack. Or Venusaur without Chlorphyll? I want a pokemon whose poison typing is a blessing, not a curse.
  17. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Black holes.

Also, I want Poison moves to have special effects where they do more damage to certain types. Say, Acid (derp) does double damage (and ignores immunity) on Steel-types, Sludge and Sludge Bomb do 50% more damage to Water-types... That would mean creating more Poison-type moves and making them more distributed among Poisonmons, but considering their offensive typing is so shitty, they could have a bone thrown at them for once.
  18. Gokuzbu

Gokuzbu

I think Yvetal will be Dark/Psychic
  19. Basileus

Basileus

being able to make fun of yourself is a great asset.
  20. Gokuzbu

Gokuzbu

Gengar gets knocked out by anything anyway. Levitate doesn't matter at all
  21. CountBleck

CountBleck

You took that comment in stride. I commend you for that good sir.
  22. Jimera0

I find it very hard to believe that Yvetal won't be part flying type. While there is some precedent for Pokemon that can clearly fly using wings getting Levitate instead (Lati@s and Flygon), Yvetal has much more prominent wings than either other them. It also has some distinctly avian characteristics, such as it's talon bearing feet and vulture-like neck ruff. It's also shown flying like a bird, whereas the Lati@s twins fly more like jets with stiff wings and Flygon flies like an insect.

I could definitely be wrong though. There's no real reason Gamefreak WOULDN'T slap Levitate on it, even if it makes no sense thematically just so they could give it a different typing.

EDIT: And at your comment about Gengar's Levitate not mattering, clearly you've never used of faced SubDisable Gengar. That thing THRIVES off its many immunities, and its Ground Immunity is cheif among them. It would not work nearly so well against Pokemon like Heatran, Terrakion or Gliscor without it.
  23. Snappy

Snappy

How about a beast/savage/untamed type? Or edge? I feel like there are a lot of normal types that could use a little more grandeur, and edge could work for yvetal while untamed could work for xerneas.
  24. Preved Medved

Preved Medved

It helps with switch-ins.
  25. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Considering how people were so sure Reshiram would be Light, Zekrom would be Dark or Steel or Fighting or whatever, how I'm sure no one here would even guess Lugia's type in GSC and, finally, how Game Freak seems to have opted for simpler designs (and maybe this applies to other stages of the games' development)...

I wouldn't be surprised if Yveltal simply were ???/Flying. Yeah, SR weakness, I know, fuck it. Ho-oh has a 4x weakness and is a fucking boss Uber. Yveltal will be fine. Not sure about the first, type, however. Not always are the legends color-coordinated, so saying it will be Dark-type is a stretch... Yveltal reminds me of brain cells and blood vessels... the latter doesn't ring any bells (Blood-type? derp), but the first obviously brings Psychic to mind. It would suck, as Psychic/Flying sucks offensively and lol Lugia. It COULD be interesting if it got a gigantic movepool (which is NOT granted, see: Reshiram), though.

Now, Xerneas is a fucking trainwreck. There's almost nothing to hold onto to take a guess; however, I'm now shooting in the dark and saying it will be Dark/Steel. Steel because it's ~shiny~ and Dark because PLOT TWIST, WHY DO YOU ALWAYS THINK THE DARK GUY IS THE BLACK DUDE?

Also, to anyone that tries to complain about their types not being balanced against each other: do you even pokémon?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)