1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shockwave527

shockwave527

Better explantation:
    They have never had the same types gain a double type. That means if, in one generation, fire became dual-type while grass and water did not, that has not happened again. Looking at the chart, every combination of types being dual and single has been different, and no series of Ys and Ns in a generation matches that of another column.

Sorry for the bad wording.
  2. Infernis

Infernis

That seems like a fair stretch for pattern-sniffing. They do love their patterns, but... starter type duality patterns in just six generations?

We really need more news.
  3. shockwave527

shockwave527

We need a fighting type kangaroo.

I saw this around gen 3 and it's kept applying, so I'm waiting to see if this will prove it wrong.
  4. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

I love fighting types, but I honestly think they may be a tad too strong.

Game Freak would have to do the following to fix it:
    Buff Flying types
    Buff Flying Moves
    Buff Bug Types
    Buff Poison Types
    Buff Ghost types
  5. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!
    is a Community Contributor

Ah ok then.

In response to that theory, I find it hard to believe that this has been a conscious effort on the part of gamefreak. Most likely it's just coincidence that it's been like that.

Why do I think that? One simple reason; why? It can't be fear of things getting stale; if that were and issue they wouldn't've made 3 fire/fighting type starters in a goddamn row. There's no benefit in any case of never having the same types get dual types in a different generation. So why go to the trouble of maintaining a pattern?

I think that you're probably overthinking it; people have a tendency to see patterns where there are none, and to assign meaning to patterns that don't have any meaning. It's one of the main reasons there are so many crazy ass conspiracy theories out there.

So yeah, I don't think it proves or disproves anything. Or even suggests anything. It's quite a stretch to think that they'd even consider something like that when picking what types to make their starters. I think that it's much most likely they come up with designs and add secondary typings that work with those designs, rather than set up some sort of typing framework and pattern beforehand. That'd explain why we ended up with all those fire / fighting types anyway.

EDIT: @ CynicalGiant

Yes, I think that that's the way to balance out types; rather than trying to introduce new types or tweaking the type relationships to balance them, simply make their existing checks more viable. I will say though that straight buffing Bug and Flying types might not work very well, since most fighting types have access to Rock-type moves. The buffs would have to be more specialized (perhaps making more with dual typings that resist rock, or giving them stat spreads that specifically let them take on typical fighting types better) for those.
  6. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

Remove stone edge as a TM and just make it a limited move tutor move, possibly the same with Rock Slide (Im pretty sure we are getting a generation reset this time around, it seems highly likely)

Giving them more powerful STAB moves and more move access in general could make them much more powerful and usable in higher tiers. This would even out some of the Fighting types. Most of them are terrible in the stat department though, but some of them might benefit from better movepools.

Ways to buff and make Flying types more usable: (Just a list of suggestions/rough ideas)
    - Make Gust remove entry hazards and possibly buff its base damage
    - Make Flying types immune to entry hazards
    - Make a priority Flying move (probably special)
    - Make Defog into a weather move that hinders abilities, screens and items useless
    - Add Air Slash onto more flying types and buff its base damage
    - Buff the base damage of Sky Drop
    - Make Sky Attack instant during Rain and give it to more flying types
    - Increase base accuracy of Hurricane to something like 85
    - Increase base damage of Air Cutter and give it to more flying types
    - Give a speed boost to Flying pokemon in Rain
    - Flying type move that hits multiple times
    - Make flying resist Fire and be super effective to Fire (Fan to flames)
    - Make flying resist Ghost and be super effective to Ghost (Blow away the evil spirits)
    - Possibly make flying immune to Fighting
  7. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

I'm not actually thinking that they would do a dual triangle, I just think it would be a cool idea to mix up the common starters. Face it, the last three generations, we've had essentially the same three types of startes, Water, Grass, and Fire/Fighting. I just think it would be something cool to do, and the pokemon designs could definitely incorporate this idea. I could see Chespin losing it's carefree demeanor and becoming dark type, Fennekin looks pretty Fire/Psychic for some reason, and Froakie can turn into a fighting type if Torchic can. Again, this is unlikely, but a cool idea.
  8. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Ouch, that'd really affect the rock types that use those moves. Plus, they have low enough accuracy as it is.
  9. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!

Removing them as TMs isn't a bad idea, though if you can transfer Pokemon from B/W to X/Y then it probably won't make a difference. Remember how much of a difference it made with Stealth Rock this generation?

As for lowering the accuracy of those moves, I'm pretty sure that if Stone Edge got any less accurate it'd cause a riot :P. In any case, I doubt that'd do much to help deter people from using it. Like Focus Blast, the coverage it offers is just too damn good to pass up.
  10. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

I have a pretty good feeling this generation will have a generation split. At least im hoping for it anyway. I feel like this would be a great time to revamp a lot of the weaker types (Flying/Poison/Normal) and reduce the power of some of the stronger ones.

Poison would probably be an easier fix than Flying.

They could...:
    - make Poison super effective to Fighting (Warriors cant fight when ill)
    - make Poison super effective to Psychic (Poison the mind)
    - make Poison super effective to Flying (Diseases are carried by birds usually)
    - make Poison super effective to Normal (Infect and disease the unprotected)
    - To balance this out, make Ghost immune to Poison (cant infect the dead)
  11. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

theoretically poison could be super effective to everything but poison and steel because poison essentially debilitates you

poison types for OU!
  12. shockwave527

shockwave527

And ground. And rocks. And electricity. And darkness. And ghosts. And ice. And fire. And...
  13. Robcore™

Robcore™

I don't think you should alter any of the current Type Chart, nor do I think they will. Unless they introduce new types, which I cannot see them doing, you've got no real reason to change them outside of wanting them to be more competitively viable; ingame, which is where a lot of the market is, Flying types are more than useable due to their availability and the fact that ingame is mainly about levels.

I've never really understood why it didn't do so to begin with. Certain Special flying-type moves, such as Hurricane and Gust, that involve a 'blowing' action from your side of the field to their side of the field should surely clear the path of any entry hazards..? Certain other moves such as Twister should be able to do the same too..
  14. Yveltal

Yveltal

It was presumptuous of me to say so without the official artwork at hand, but it should certainly become a fad amongst readers to name their character Arin for sh*ts and giggles, teehee

Good eye! It's a subliminal diversity tactic to help keep new generations from being complete carbon copies of old ones both gameplay-wise and fluff-wise(fluff being the background story, development, creature lore, etc. This is all assuming that GameFreak is smart enough to consider a pool of data as such for playability reasons between games.).
    What are your thoughts on these unused dual-type possibilities between the starters based on this observation;
    Water_Y__Y__N
    Fire___N__N__N
    Grass__Y__N__Y
    The ones listed above are the only ones they would have left before recycling old setups. For personal funsies, It'd be nice to see three new pure fire-type final form starters in a row. Another possibility is that every even generation is an excuse to make all three starters either all pure types or all dual types!
  15. Bashfrog

Bashfrog

Actually, aren't issues with a certain type everyone's own issue? I, for example, have a severe dislike of dragons and ground types, because my strongest wall is a blissey, and I beat b2w2 with a team full of fragile attackers, which made the dragon gym hell. Despite the fact Elesa actually gave me way more trouble, yet I still like electric types. Maybe I don't fight competatively enough, but I see more issues with those two types simply because of how I play. This may or may not be a good question, but In Gen 6, what one pokemon would you want weakened the most and why?
  16. Flareon

Flareon

Luvdisc. That's OP right there, what with its high speed, agility, AND swift swim.
  17. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

Shuckle.

Biggest ass ever.
  18. Preved Medved

Preved Medved

Sunkern,Unown and Corsola.
  19. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

Why just a singular pokemon? If we're talking in-game, we don't even have a clue as to what kinds of pokemon will be in Gen 6 much less Gym Leaders and what not. So, at this point, I have no way of answering this question since there is so little information. If we're talking metagame, kind of the same thing. If anything from Gen V was too overpowered, then it would be banned anyway and, as stated, we have no idea what pokemon will be introduced in this new generation.

By the way, is anyone else kind of scared that X and Y will be bad. I've been thinking about it, and this is the shortest timespan between Generations to my knowledge. This is especially worrisome because they're also switching to a new system. I'm kind of afraid that this game will feel rushed and unpolished. Maybe they've been working on it for a while behind the scenes, but I highly doubt that. Just a thought.
  20. King Serperior

King Serperior

My friends and I came up with an idea that sounded good at the time, but sounds stupid now:

Starter Final Evolution Types (Don't open if you hate bad ideas) (open)

Grass/Fire = Chespin
    Fire/Water = Fennekin
    Water/Grass = Froakie

Ok, I have the fire extinguisher, so I am ready to put out the flames. I also have Burn Heal for your Scalding remarks......
  21. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

THAT"S THE DUMMEST THING EVAR!!!!1!

Jk, that would actually be quite hilarious. Grass/Fire would actually be pretty good in the metagame as it would only be weak to flying, poison and rock. Fire/Water is less useful, but would be a beast special attacker with STAB Hydro Pump and Fire Blast. Water/Grass has already been done, but it's a pretty cool combo.
  22. Codraroll

Codraroll

Actually, I think B2/W2 were the "Rushed" games, sent out to shorten the gap between B/W and X/Y. It's clear that GameFreak has had some three-dimensional ambition for some time, but the 3DS was still too new when B/W was around. On the other hand, they couldn't just swap consoles in the middle of a generation, so they made the "third version" of B/W for the DS, while leaving a stand-alone 3DS game for the next generation.

Also, why do people think there will be another generation split? Do none of you remember how highly unpopular it was? The core coding of the games were changed between the second and third generations. Possibly the entire data structure, what do I know...
    GameFreak have since done their best to preserve forwards-compability between versions. I really, really doubt these games won't do that. After all, it seems like their only possible reason to do so would be "Toning down the metagame", which is a really weak reason. GameFreak don't give much thought into competitive gaming, especially seeing as the metagamers do most of the work to balance it ourselves anyway. See for instance the Sleep Clause, which would make a whole lot of Pokémon completely broken if we took it away. Moody makes competitive gaming very unfun for those on the receiving end, so we banned it from our banlist. There is a lot of "broken stuff" in the games already, but we filter it out before too long. It's not like GameFreak is responsible for our competitive metagame.
  23. Agonist

Agonist Minutes become hours when you wait, hope and regret
    is a Forum Moderator

Grass/Fire sounds cool until you realize that it's also neutral to Water, Fire, Ice, Ground, and Bug.
  24. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

Fire/Water would actually be amazing, methinks. Being able to capitalise on double STABs in either sun or rain says something. If this was actually an actual non-starter Pokemon with Chlorophyll/Swift Swim as possible abilities, I can see this being pretty big in the meta.
  25. Agonist

Agonist Minutes become hours when you wait, hope and regret
    is a Forum Moderator

Having its other STAB nerfed in either Sun or Rain sucks though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)