1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shockwave527

shockwave527

That would never make sense. Someone stated this a while back, to which I agree:

Starters are Fire, Water and Grass in order to help introduce pokemon to newer players. It's pretty intuitive that water douses fire, fire burns grass and grass absorbs water. Some of the others make sense (electric on flying), some take a little thought (bug being a common fear, so bug on psychic), and some making little sense at all (grass rock? ice dragon? Maybe I'm missing some things, but...). As people play they begin to learn, but to start out with fighting/psychic/dark...
    Those types aren't intuitive. They are later game power types which would possibly kill in the beginning, and new players would pick up on it but much less easily with such an obscure type triangle. Plus, with psychic not effecting dark, that would make things much more difficult for those with the psychic starter playing against someone with the dark one.
  2. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

Empoleon's STAB moves don't really help against Torterra, but Empoleon almost always uses Ice Beam anyway.

Besides, Empoleon's STAB hits Torterra neutrally and hits Infernape hard.
  3. shockwave527

shockwave527

I don't think that's the argument here. The argument is that, when looking at the secondary typing only on the three starters, wheter or not it forms a secondary type triangle.

The answer:
    It does not.
  4. feriokun

feriokun

Ground good against fire (Torterra beats Infernape)
    Fighting beats steel (Infernape beats Empoleon)
    Steel beats... Nothing. But Empoleon still 1HKOs Torterra with ice beam! lolz
  5. IcyMan28

IcyMan28

This rumor does seem relatively credible. Starter types being as predicted would be great, and I like the idea of a finch that evolves differently depending on the version. Typical GF
  6. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Empoleon couldn't use its STABs to beat Torterra, BUT 1) almost every Water-type learns Ice moves and they're 4x strong against Torterra (better than the 3x that would come from a 2x SE STAB move...) and 2) Torterra had to resort to its secondary STAB to hit Empoleon, as the first (and main) one was neutral against it, which means the oh-so-holy circle was "broken".

The Sinnoh starters are a fantastic example of how Game Freak could do a reverse triangle. They're not obliged to blindly follow the type chart at this, they never had (see: any legendary duo), they never will. I can see them throwing a curveball and Chespin ending up, say, Grass/Fighting while Froakie would be Water/Poison and Fennekin, huh, Fire/Ground. "Oh no but that's not a perfectly balanced dual triangle!!!1!" no one cares. Grassmon still beats Watermon still beats Firemon still beats Grassmon. Watermon has problems against Grassmon but oh lord, would you look at that, its type gives it a very obvious move type that is SE on Grassmon, since Gen I. You know, that thing that allowed Watermon to always beat Grassmon. Good thing Game Freak isn't bound to any kind of pattern in their own games, eh

Psychicmon used Ember on Darkmon. It's super effective.

People had to deal with Empoleon being neutral to Grass and no one bothered. We know the first stages are pure-type; when they'll be able to evolve, around lv. 16, you sure as hell will have seen one FPD pokémon already (this has happened in older games: Poochyena, Abra, Ralts, Machop Timburr, Woobat...), so they could have their secondary types by 2nd badge and no 8 year-old would be confused at it. They might even, who would know, find it cool that their fire fox can now screw over boring gentleman frog on their own.
  7. PlatypusVenom

PlatypusVenom

And to quote myself: I've heard two main theories flying around about the origin/idea for Xerneas and Yveltal.

The first one is that they represent a geometrical dimension (or axis). Xerneas is said to represent the X axis because it lives on the ground and basically owns the dimension of length/width. Yveltal is said to represent the Y axis because its domain is the sky and rules the dimension of height. If there were to be a Pokemon Z, it is said that it would have the formation of a "Z" and rule underwater or underground to represent the dimension of depth.

The second theory I've heard about mainly involves the origin of Xerneas and Yveltal in Norse Mythology, in particular, the tree of life (Yggdrasil). Xerneas was apparently based on the four stags named Dainn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Durapror that graze among the branches of Yggdrasil at the bottom. These four stags each have a color/element corresponding to each of them, as seen in the antlers of Xerneas. Yveltal is believed to originate from the unnamed eagle who lives on top of Yggdrasil.

I have looked into both of these thoroughly, and have synthesized a third theory involving both of these, seeing as one deals with in-game storyline and the other deals with origin of the Pokemon itself. In this theory, I have kept all the details previously explained to you and added on to them. I believe that if there was a Pokemon Z, it would represent the Z axis for depth and be based on a third inhabitant of Yggdrasil, Niohoggr. This is a serpent that lives underneath Yggdrasil itself, gnawing on the roots that keep it imprisoned in the ground. Seeing as it is a serpent, it could easily form a "Z" shape with its body as Xerneas and Yveltal have done. And, believe it or not, there is a final fourth inhabitant of Yggdrasil. This creature is a small squirrel named Ratatoskr (and no, Ratata is not based off of it) who carries messages from the eagle at the top down to Niohoggr underneath. Ratatoskr might be some kind of fairy/pixie/whatever who's importance might be similar to that of Celebi or Shaymin. (End quote)

I just did a little more research into the names, and "Zeruneasu" is Japanese for Xerneas and "Iberutar" is Japanese for Yveltal. Zanarol is Pokemon Z, and because of its rock typing, is beginning to prove my viking god theory. The other three are undoubtedly a lesser trio.
  8. Upstart

Upstart Copy Cat

I am trusting these rumors as I want them to be true and they are in japanese so they must be true. But seriously it would cool if they were true as it would give us somewhere to work are speculation off.

I am curious as to the meaning of froakie's evolutions names. The spear and pikes make sense for Chespin playing into needles on his head. But froakie's final evolution perplexes me.
  9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1

Bit of a late reply, but still...

Um...no one really claimed it to be Ice type at all (if they did, then that's just ludicrous). Just a lot of "Oh, it's Water-type, somewhat icy cold, Freeze variant of Scald!" responses.

It's definitely not froth, though, simply because Froakie itself is the best answer for what Pokemon-world froth looks like (Froakie's entire deign is covered in 'froth'; it doesn't quite match Swablu's clouds either, so likely froth).

Also, Game Freak is a pretty huge development organisation, their developers would surely have better methods of creating froth than randomly imparting linear, clearly traceable lines of snowflakes. Even if it is just a still image, the snowflakes run along the length of the jet, the water at the base is forming into a snowflake shape and the shapes are too sharp and angled to be froth (again, see Froakie's rounded, almost 'fluffy' froth design elements). If they were trying to make froth, simple circles of white would have done; at speed, white bubbles would pull off froth quite well. To put in all the effort of using snowflakes seems rather worthless to me, if they were just aiming for froth.

Do I believe it is a new "Water-type, somewhat icy cold, Freeze variant of Scald" move? Not really. Freeze has always been a forgotten status (whose effects feel more like a weaker Sleep variant in most cases) and I doubt that'll change in Gen VI. To be quite blunt about it, Freeze is to status what Flareon is to Pokemon; trolled and forgotten.

However, I would not yet call it an old move. Especially not Water Gun or Hydro Pump, as those have never been shown to have froth or snowflakes (at least, not in regularly segmented snowflake-shaped bursts; Water Gun's frothing effect, in the anime at least, has often spiraled around the water stream, if the anime counts for anything). Either Game Freak now wants all Water-moves to be cold, or I'm guessing a new "Cold Water" move. Sort of like Swampert's Muddy Water; yeah, it's new, but it's nothing more than a weak water move which you can overwrite with Surf.

Of course, if it is a Freeze version of Scald, great (do we all have to run Rain in Gen VI? Seriously?). But I doubt it. If only because Freeze almost never got anything ever. Just like Flareon, really.
  10. shockwave527

shockwave527

That works for the origins in the game design, but what about their stories in the game? I'm really hoping for some Chaos/order stuff. Maybe the evil team in this game wants to cause chaos so they can complete their own goals by either stealing and using the power of the Lord of Chaos (Yveltal) or removing the Lord of Order (Xerneas), not realizing the problems it will cause, and will change their ways at the end like magma/aqua in ruby/sapphire.

YAY! More unlikely theories! Don't you just love 'em?
  11. PlatypusVenom

PlatypusVenom

I can actually respect that theory, but where would Zanarol come in to the thicket of chaos vs order?
  12. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

The Norse dont see Death as Chaos btw. Assuming Y is a Vulture and Dark type, still not chaos if the basis is Norse.
  13. shockwave527

shockwave527

What if youngster Joey's back, and now with legendaries?

Ring. Ring. Ring.
    "Hey, it's joey! Just letting you know, my Ratatoskr is in the top percentage of Ratatoskrs! Well, see you round!"

I don't know. Hmm. Let me think...

Something created from a mixture of the two which cannot thrive when one is gone but rises to power when they are both present, so you'd need both legends to catch?
    IDK.
  14. PlatypusVenom

PlatypusVenom

Ah... Viking gods rampaging Paris.. Doesn't that sound nice. Anyway, I can't wait until the art for Zanarol comes out. I'm also interested to see what the legendary trio will be based on, as Yggdrasil has run dry of animals (except for one squirrel).
  15. Upstart

Upstart Copy Cat

If the rumor is correct I ll be sad that the grass type got cursed with the worse typing :( especially when a name like Chespear is bound to look awesome
  16. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

Probably more beasts in Norse myths like Fenrir (Wolf) and Gullinbursti (Golden Boar)

We also dont know if its just paris, it could be that whole section of europe (still not really the Scandinavian/Nordic region but eh)
  17. Satisfaction

Satisfaction

So this is Paris then? In that case we might get a nice little love story, bw2 had christoph and nancy, its probably possible, the girl looked more american than french tbh though.

I wanted Chespin to be grass dark, so I'm more than fine with this even if it isnt exactly confirmed
  18. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

France eh? Maybe the evil team will try and defeat us but then surrender
  19. guitarerdood

guitarerdood

actually, while I *highly* doubt this would actually be the case....has it been confirmed anywhere that chespin, froakie and fennekin are the starters? at this point, I couldn't believe that they aren't...but, just because gamefreak/nintendo have revealed them, and they are grass/fire/water, does that really mean anything?

I do assume they are the starters, like we all do...but technically do we know otherwise? just food for thought. of all the things people are speculating on this thread...this possibility is hardly the least unbelievable
  20. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

Why wouldn't they be the starters?
  21. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

No real reason, but then, it is not confirmed either way. Usually we are safe with assumptions like this, but then just recently, one of our obvious assumptions (Grey Vesrion) turned out incredbly wrong. I don't know about anyone else, but I know that I am personally going to avoid making any assumptions this gen. Game Freak has been throwing more curveballs than usual recently, and I don't want to get excited for something that is not happening.

Also, seriously, did people forget BW2 already? I'm an honestly shocked by the amount of people both here and around the internet talking about Z version or a Z legendary as if it is a forgone conclusion.
  22. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

They were advertised as the starters, why in the world would they not be the starters? NoA already confirmed they were the starters, not that anyone should really doubt that they are.
  23. shockwave527

shockwave527

Remember, even without a GREY version, Kyurem was Grey itself, which leads us to beleive (with the whole XYZ axis thing) there will be a Z legendary.

With the whole Z game, if we go off axes, it would only make sense to do a Z. So would have grey, but here X and Y don't work alone, unlike black and white.
  24. Satisfaction

Satisfaction

Usually the first pokemon introduced are not the starters like with lucario or Zoroark, however in this case I believe that they are the starters mostly because they look too weak for them to be anything else relevant and they are grass fire water.
  25. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

Y is Verticle, so its the sky roaming Bird (Dark/???)
    X is Horizon, so its the ground dwelling Stag (Grass/???)
    Z is depth, so its going to be the underground Snake (Rock/???)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)