1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon X and Y Discussion

Discussion in 'Trou Du Cul' started by Birkal, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upstart

Upstart Copy Cat

The "starters" were also used in the promo explaining the type advantages which is consist of the other starters. But troll freak is gonna troll
  2. shockwave527

shockwave527

With someone mentioning psy/dark/fight starters in a later gen, I found this from a while ago:
    [​IMG]

While these will probably not end up in future starters at any time, these NEED to become pokemon. Especially the Kangaroo.
  3. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I believe they are starters because of common sense the japanese website calls them as such even when horribly mangled by google translate
  4. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

I will go with the phrase type. Its clearly OP.
  5. shockwave527

shockwave527

Hmm... so the new type's not light, it's "the phrase", and it replaces grass in starters...

WHAT COULD THIS ALL MEAN?
  6. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!

Some people did claim it to be ice type further back, and if you actually read my post you will see that my argument is that it's a normal water type move without frills. I don't know if it was intentional or not, but you basically just strawmanned my argument by claiming I was strawmanning THEIR arguments.

My key point is that those are NOT SNOWFLAKES. True, it's not "froth" in the conventional, every day usage sense, but it's the best description I could come up for the jagged white rings that are used in most anime (especially in Pokemon) to signify a jet of water.

To prove my point, here's about a half dozen images of Hydro Pump from the anime:

FROTH RINGS (open)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, I realize that it's much less jagged in those images than it does in the screenshot, but that's just because that particular image from Seribii just happened to catch them at a moment when they looked particularly angular and snowflake like.

[​IMG]

However in this cap I just took, you can see they look a LOT less snowflake like, and a lot more like splashes of water. And look, there's even other, further out rings to go along with the ones in the middle! In fact pause at almost any point during the attack and you'll see them looking distinctly un-snowflake like, what with their solid shape, curved edges and general resemblance to a splat of liquid with a hole in the middle of it.

It's just Water Gun or Hydro Pump (the force suggests Hydro-Pump). Nothing else.

Anyway, this will be the last I say on the matter. I'll just wait to be vindicated by the games release at which point I can laugh and point and say "I told you so".
  7. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Maybe Mawile could evolve into the Ghost/Steel Pokémon we've all been hoping for? It does have ghostly origins, after all.
  8. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

Game Freak took a specific screen shot to show the snowflakes in the water. I think that means something. They didn't do an intense closeup for any other move. I got that picture straight from the pokemon.com website and here it is again:
    [​IMG]
  9. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

Ghost/Steel with Intimidate? Oh man that's going to be amazing. Mawile gets Stealth Rock and Pain Split as well, which makes it even better. Having Sucker Punch, Baton Pass, Taunt and Swords Dance is nice too.

It becoming Dark/Steel is more likely though.
  10. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

That's the kind of thinking that got ourselves into being sure Oshawott would evolve into a Water/Fighting pokémon (hell, the demo had it with Revenge and its highest stat being Attack!).

I'm afraid to say you're really over-analyzing something that is most likely a mere printscreen they did. Really. That's the only moment in the whole animation that has something resembling snowflakes, if that was an icy move, we'd see more snowflakes in its animation.
  11. Flaming Piranha

Flaming Piranha

Plus, Mawile with eviolite will definitely boost its usage in NU
  12. Upstart

Upstart Copy Cat

A lot of people saying it is too early for these leaks to occur. But I feel obligated to point out that the game does not have much more time left in development as pointed out by someone earlier. This means that most of the pokemon are most likely designed and named.

As a argument for why this leak is fake: Why would the legendaries types be left as question marks? It seems odd for someone who acquired names and types to have over looked a secondary type.
  13. CynicalGiant

CynicalGiant

This seems like a press release or planned release of information that was given to someone in the press or in charge
  14. A Fhaol Bhig

A Fhaol Bhig

*Head Desk*

Just stop it please.
  15. shockwave527

shockwave527

Now, I don't know if this should go here but with all the other wierd possibilities I might as well say it.

Has anyone ever thought of the idea of a 5-type starter group? Maybe not for this gen, but another? Have you ever seen Big Bang Theory or heard of Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock? So something like that, where each type resists 2 and is super effective against 2. Is there even a possible set for that or something similar that could work?

I'm sure someone extremely knowledgeable on Pokemon could do the math.
  16. tintinwong

tintinwong

I wouldn't be surprised if that move was actually just ice beam.
  17. Antihaxxer

Antihaxxer

It's almost impossible to do that because Water, Poison, Dark, Ghost, Electric, Dragon has not a lot of weaknesses.
  18. The Diverman

The Diverman

The closest that I can figure out is:
    Fire
    Grass
    Ground
    Rock
    Ice

Fire is SE to Ice and Grass while being weak to Rock and Ground.
    Rock is SE to Ice and Fire while being weak to Grass and Ground.
    Grass is SE to Rock and Ground while being weak to Fire and Ice.
    Ground is SE Rock and Fire while being weak to Grass and Ice.
    Ice is SE Ground and Grass while being weak to Fire and Rock.

Though it's not a true "star" because a lot of them doesn't resist one another like: ice doesn't resist ground, unless the resistances don't count. I don't think another one exists, but I could be wrong.
  19. Count Serperior

Count Serperior

Guys, drop it, it's Water Gun.
    It's too thin to be Hydro Pump, and too wet to be Ice Beam.
    And it looks too much like Water Gun to be a new move.
    Plus you guys need to look at the animation when it actually hits Fennekin. It's so obviously not Ice and looks exactly like Water Gun.

The other moves are not that obvious (other than Solar Beam & Flamethrower):

-Chespin either used Aerial Ace (that background and the distinct lower-upper) or Nightslash (them slashes)
    Keep in mind that everyone and their mother learns Arial Ace. (Looking at you Tyranifat)

-Fennekin either used a psychic attack (Confusion/Psy Wave based on color) or Growl (the wave effect came from it's mouth in a roaring animation, but that animation could be the main animation it uses for most of it's moves)

-Froakie probably used Fury Swipes or something like that. It's too "normal/lame" to be a Fighting move (lol that's NOT Close Combat)

Anyways, all this move type prediction crap is completely pointless coz Rhydon learns Surf and Bidoof learns Grass Knot.
  20. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1

My main point was that it wasn't an existing water move.

Sure, likely not Ice-type (we agree there), but it didn't look like any existing attack. Your froth reasoning just didn't make sense at all, given the froth shown in the anime (which I already mentioned, along with your screencaps of Hydro Pump/water moves) and the design of Froakie (whose froth is clearly rounded and not snowflake-y or splashy).

I do not think it's just a regular water move. It looks like a variant (like Muddy Water). So somewhat special (Muddy Water used to be Swampert's signature to an extent), just not in its effect but rather in flavour.

Your screencaps of the anime, I don't know if you're trying to defeat yourself here, but those screencaps only serve to show the way froth is drawn. Round rings, on the plane perpendicular to the flow stream (or sometimes at a slight angle). Froakie's attack clearly doesn't have froth if your screencaps are anything to go by.

Where I think we can settle is that there is a good chance, based on the video and on Game Freak's usual pattern (of using rather uninteresting moves in demos except for signature moves from legendaries), those are water splashes of some sort. Maybe about to crystallise (because in Pokemon physics, anything is possible), maybe not.

What that implies is a good question. Like I said, a variant water move exclusive to a few lines (if not only Froakie's line) could be a possibility. It certainly doesn't look like anything that's come before, though. Not even the style of power that Hydro Pump/Water Gun is usually shown as. Still looks like a "Definitely NOT Ice-type, no freeze effect" variant water move to me.

I'm going to take my chances with saying it's a variant water move, same as I said earlier. I simply find it too large an aesthetic change to just be Water Gun or some other existing move. I'll give it to you that snowflakes may be out of the question, but an existing water move I don't yet believe.

Also, it'd be hilarious if we all found out that was Game Freak hacking Hydro Cannon onto a Froakie.

tl;dr: NOT froth, likely not snowflakes either. Likely to be a water-move of some special-ness (similar to Muddy Water), I don't yet think it's an existing water move.

21. The King of Harts

The King of Harts

I hope they get rid of HMs. I don't know exactly how they'd do that, but I really want them to. Maybe turn all the HMs into TMs since they're reusable now. Maybe Pokemon will just have "skills" that let them act as HMs.

I'm just fed up with forcing crappy moves on Pokemon so I can continue my game. Sure, Waterfall and Surf aren't crappy, but the others are. And even with Waterfall and Surf, if you have a physical water type, Surf is pointless and vice versa for Waterfall. My Samurott last gen knew both Waterfall and Surf because I didn't want to pick up an HM slave or another water type just for Surfing. It's hard to use all the Pokemon you want when you're forced to carry Pokemon X because it knows/learns an HM.

I'm not saying the HMs shouldn't exist as attacks, but we shouldn't be forced to use them because there's a twig in my way or my water type can't possibly swim without Surf.
  22. Wazzup360

Wazzup360

I agree with somebody who said something tons of pages back.

While animated, you barely see the "snowflakes" and it's just looks like water gun to me (so small for hydro pomp imo) so my thought is that they made snowflakes to use overall in ice moves (say, re-use the flakes) but they just used it here to make the attack look better without more work. Animated it doesn't look like ice at all, and without the "flakes" it would simply look less good.

So my say is that it might originally been snowflakes, but they just re-use stuff to make attacks look better.

And besides this, on some other subject, some people are in my opinion over thinking stuff. Maybe it might be a smart idea to speculate a lil less farfetch'd sometimes.

The youngster Joey part made me lol so hard.
  23. x42bn6

x42bn6

Lunatone/Solrock evolutions, anyone? Solrock does look like the sun ("fire"), and Lunatone the moon ("rock"). Stapyre shares no syllables with Solrock, unfortunately, but it jumped to mind...
  24. Jolteon Bandit

Jolteon Bandit

Well I would assume the starters wouldn't have a secondary type to begin with. They may not achieve a second type until their final evolution either. After all, Bulbasaur is the only starter with a secondary type. By that time, a newer player will have had a chance to see some of the other type advantages at work and could calculate that they have a type advantage over their rival(s)'s starter. I will agree that some of the type strengths and weaknesses are strange, especially to new players (Flying > Grass is another one that doesn't really make much sense to me, maybe because birds like to eat seeds?).
  25. Coronis

Coronis Backie Jerkhart
    is a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Tbh, I'm much more interested in Pikachu's new electric world domination attack at the start of the trailer than Froakie's Water Gun.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)