1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grammar Xatu

Grammar Xatu

I really like the idea and that picture made me appreciate it more with a visual. It makes them feel more like your companion instead of a weapon.
  2. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf

3. absolfusion

absolfusion

oh wow. But green though? It's just kinda... meh to me

Edit!: I thought it was green but I guess it's more of a light grey
  4. Grammar Xatu

Grammar Xatu

That bottom screen looks WAAAAAAAYYYY too simple, literally just circles.
  5. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

It might still be in development. I won't be worried about the bottom screen until the games actually release (or even get closer to release). I assume the bottom screen during battles isn't a top priority yet.
  6. Chill

Chill

It will probably work just like the colloseum battles. Noctowl is usually a "grounded" pokemon but when it uses a move like Fly it will stay in the air ,flapping its wings, until the next turn. So any pokemon that can fly in such a way will probably be allowed.

In the trailer Pikachu was heard calling out its name. Is Pikachu the only pokemon to do this or will there be others using their names or roars?
  7. Yanmega0909

Yanmega0909

In one of the first trailers ( the one revealing gogoat), right before you see gogoat for the first time you hear (presumably) gogoats cry, which sounds like a normal pokemon cry, not its name.
  8. RegiFlame150

RegiFlame150

I'm a little confused on the fairy thing. They said a few pokemon like marill/jigglypuff will be retyped to fairy. Does that apply to their evos/preevos?
  9. Spork

Spork

Well, almost certainly, for the most part.

Perhaps Azurill will be pure fairy? D:

Also hoping for pure fairy Clefairy :3
  10. Iamlegendshot66

Iamlegendshot66

Celebi should be just pure fairy; screw crappy grass typing.
  11. Ryanide

Ryanide

Isn't it obvious though? Fairy type pokemon have something to do with fairytale and folklore mythology.

In the case of Mawile, it's based on the legend of the Futakuchi-onna, a woman who's hair becomes a secondary mouth.

Jigglypuff is a lullaby pokemon. Lullabies are commonly sung to children in order to help them fall asleep at night, which has connotations relating to reading fairytales and bedtime stories.

Gardevoir is the stereotypical fairytale princess in a graceful gown, who is sometimes a man, apparently. Gardevoir has always had ties to themes of knightly heroism and such, which is a very common theme in fairytales. (it's japanese name is Sirnight and it's even got its own handsome prince to come rushing to its aid, Gallade.)

Sylveon is based on moon sylphs, a type of fairy creature.

Marill/Azumarill are an odd choice but I'm going to bet there's some folklore surrounding watery rabbits in some culture I'm not aware of.

Fairy really makes perfect sense if you consider the theme.
  12. eduardosunshine

eduardosunshine

When I entered the bath this morning I was thinking about the rumor that said "HMs still exist but there are a few" and the info we got that rideable pokemon helps us to pass obstacles, something like you ride a rhyhorn and use rock climb or a lapras and surf on fast currents, gastrodon for a swamp(like the marsh in DPP) and other situations that may happen.

what you guys think about this?
  13. WideSlash

WideSlash

Hmm..... No Gastrodon. Ew.
  14. Coronis

Coronis Backie Jerkhart
    is a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

This is in battle, why is there a need for complexity? Fight, Pokemon, Bag, Run. Four buttons, pick a shape.
  15. CJorex

CJorex

You're right; We've had squares and hexagons, so circles are obviously the next most logical choice. Unless you have a thing for triangles.
  16. eduardosunshine

eduardosunshine

I just picked up gastrodon as an example, the thing is that rideable pokemon would act as the old HM and such
  17. Nicki

Nicki

Imagine Mantine and Gyarados "flying" up there. o.O

Flying Tropius would be pretty epic!

There are also some pokémon who are Flying/Levitating but I would not assume them go all the way up in the air like Rotom, Cryogonos and Carnivine
  18. Yveltal

Yveltal

Well, the use of Dragon techniques for the upcoming competitive season can't really be estimated because we don't know how many/if Fairy Pokémon will be here to threaten the viability of Dragon techniques. All you can say for now is that, if there are a handful of Fairy Pokémon that make it into OU, the use of Dragon-types might dwindle a little, but maybe not the use of Dragon attacks. Nobody ever made an official statement that Dragons are ineffective against Fairy Pokémon in general.
  19. Aerophoenix

Aerophoenix

Agreed, and also keep in mind that (if the rumor holds true), then the already-great-partners-to-Dragon-types Steel pokemon have a super-effective STAB on Fairy-types. I don't know how much it will shake up the metagame.

Then again, this will be a new meta, so I'd kind of like to see a large amount of changes (which is why part of me would kind of like to not be able to transfer from Gen V).
  20. Champion Steve

Champion Steve

Well, ExtremeSpeed means you have nothing to hurt Steel-types, so I'd say Earthquake would likely be the better choice. Although, Dragons are really going to find it much harder to get full coverage.
    ...particularly if we get a Ghost/Fairy...

Did you have to post one with Gardevoir in it?
  21. X5Dragon

X5Dragon

They may already have good company in steel pokemon but no Dragon Dancer likes to switch out while boosted since they only have one or two good chances anyway midgame. Also Dragon moves are always good, I'm just sayain that moves/items that lock you will be dropped significantly, like Outrage and Choice Band.

Edit: It's a compromise, you either secure yourself from faster mons with scarfs or kill steel types.
  22. Ketsuban

Ketsuban

The interpretation of "dual-type moves" that always made the most sense to me was that they worked a bit like Psyshock and so on - they're one type for the purposes of STAB and another for the purposes of damage calculation (so, to provide a contrived example using an existing move, Scald might be a Fire-type move that does Water-type damage).
  23. Champion Steve

Champion Steve

That interpretation seems a little weird to me. I mean, how are you going to explain it to the kids?
    "Right, so we've got this new Burny-Shock move here. It's a Fire and Electric type move."
    *Kid butts in* "So it does Fire and Electric damage all at once?!"
    "Er, well, no. It only does Fire damage. But Electric types can use it as if they were Fire type."
    "But they can use Fire attacks just fine, see? He knows Flame Charge!"
    "Yes, but he doesn't have STAB."
    "What's Stab? Is it Steel type?"

It just seems like it'd be confusing and kind of a letdown that it doesn't actually do types of damage. The 'two attacks hit, each of a different type' idea seems best to me. I mean, kids aren't gonna bother to calculate out the exact effectiveness. They'd just have fun shooting lightning bolts that then set Pokemon on Fire.

And of course, there could always be no Dual-type moves.
  24. WideSlash

WideSlash

There is nothing worse right now than the concept of dual type moves. We should just drop them now. By the way, you must be referring to Zebstrika.
  25. GeeZee

GeeZee

By the way, I noticed something small at the PSS part:

Show Hide
    [youtube]BDo5qFREiss?t=1m14s[/youtube]

At 1:14 of the roundtable video, you can see a PSS interface with all kinds of trainers on it. When you change the videoquality to HD, you can see rosy cheeks on the faces of some of the female trainers. Does this further confirms extensive character customization options; like make-up?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)