Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still holding on to Rhyperior being the best supporter for Fairy types.

Hopefully, they will do the near the same amount of new Pokemon from Gen I to Gen II.

Something I want to develop more in the games is the sidequests; it's always "bring this item to this person" or "catch this Pokemon with a certain height/weight/level/stat/etc,". Why not something that integrates Pokemon into the world's society? If people often go missing Bermuda-triangle style in Jellicent-heavy areas, why not an optional search-and-rescue mission for a group of lost sailors who were unfortunate enough to wind up in one of them? Or investigating where a recent group of Clefairy came from, and their UFO as well. Really anything that involves both the Pokemon and the enviroment, not just "deliver the medicine to the next town to recieve a plot-necessary HM".

Something I want to develop more in the games is the sidequests; it's always "bring this item to this person" or "catch this Pokemon with a certain height/weight/level/stat/etc,". Why not something that integrates Pokemon into the world's society? If people often go missing Bermuda-triangle style in Jellicent-heavy areas, why not an optional search-and-rescue mission for a group of lost sailors who were unfortunate enough to wind up in one of them? Or investigating where a recent group of Clefairy came from, and their UFO as well. Really anything that involves both the Pokemon and the enviroment, not just "deliver the medicine to the next town to recieve a plot-necessary HM".
Aaaaaaaaagreeeeed. The main storylines in Pokemon are usually pretty good. The small quests and tasks to get there are, well, sometimes less than spectacular. I would love to see optional content like this.

I would also like to see less laziness when it comes to small things like why you can't continue on a road right now. I know I saw this somewhere else on this forum, but there is one spot where the guy says you can't go on because, "there is something going on up ahead." I mean, I know it would be tough to write a game, and I am stoked for gen 6, but give me some effort here.

I would be fine with the excuse being construction every time, because I would believe that. Focus on extras like this instead of pokemon musicals and verbose text about loving and cherishing your pokemon. I know its a kids market, I do, but I'm a little tired of this whole "there are lots of ways to be good at pokemon" thing.

No. There is battling. Take a page out of Gen 1's book, you battle, you win, that is the objective. I would like to meet one person who plays pokemon for the musicals.

Aaaaaaaaagreeeeed. The main storylines in Pokemon are usually pretty good. The small quests and tasks to get there are, well, sometimes less than spectacular. I would love to see optional content like this.

I would also like to see less laziness when it comes to small things like why you can't continue on a road right now. I know I saw this somewhere else on this forum, but there is one spot where the guy says you can't go on because, "there is something going on up ahead." I mean, I know it would be tough to write a game, and I am stoked for gen 6, but give me some effort here.

I would be fine with the excuse being construction every time, because I would believe that. Focus on extras like this instead of pokemon musicals and verbose text about loving and cherishing your pokemon. I know its a kids market, I do, but I'm a little tired of this whole "there are lots of ways to be good at pokemon" thing.

No. There is battling. Take a page out of Gen 1's book, you battle, you win, that is the objective. I would like to meet one person who plays pokemon for the musicals.
-raises wing-(the distractions are awesome, they're the second biggest reason why I try to maintain a friends list. Wifi musical contests, y'all)

The thing I don't like about side quests that aren't directly involved with discovering more Pokemon is that a lot of the ideas seem more like something you'd do in Pokepark or Mystery Dungeon. It's one thing if it's part of the story, where a ship gets taken under and someone goes "You're a trainer! YOU SHOULD HELP!!!", forcing you to Surf/Dive into the next route, where you have to take out a set number of Jellicent hoardes during that part of the story.

While I mostly agree, I thought that the whole "We're dancing here for no reason! One day, we'll disappear for no reason!" from BW2 was hilarious.

While I mostly agree, I thought that the whole "We're dancing here for no reason! One day, we'll disappear for no reason!" from BW2 was hilarious.
I thought that was kind of a fun little self-derogatory thing, like "we know we put in stupid reasons", not "I hope this passes as a legitimate excuse". At least I hope they didn't intend for it to be legitimate.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Yes, Lumiose City has been given the Castelia treatment, where its name has little conection to the other town names, or at least a very distant connection. What's most interesting about Lumiose City is the Japanese name, Miare, which comes from a phrase that means "advent of a deity". Lumiose was certainly made with a Renaissance/Enlightenment feel in mind, right down to its title(s)
Paris is known as "the city of light".

And where is that "we dance for no reason" from, exactly? I'm at the Frigate in Black 2 and don't recall having read it yet...

I thought that was kind of a fun little self-derogatory thing, like "we know we put in stupid reasons", not "I hope this passes as a legitimate excuse". At least I hope they didn't intend for it to be legitimate.
Oh yeah, I agree. That's why it cracked me up.

And where is that "we dance for no reason" from, exactly? I'm at the Frigate in Black 2 and don't recall having read it yet...
It's been awhile, but I think between Castelia and Nacrene? I could be wrong...

I'm curious about their choices for filler Pokémon. While there are already roughly 580 different species (not counting any gen VI Pokémon, present legendaries or starters and their evolutions), we know that certain Pokémon are there because they're being retyped as Fairy Pokémon. I understand that, even in DPPt, Psyduck was just kind of there to be another Water Pokémon for the sake of mild diversity among the wildlife, but why Ledian and Swellow(assuming that it's true)? It just makes me think that it'll be really hard to track down certain Pokémon if they have too many dex entries.
Some are obvious, but some do indeed cross the lines of new Pokémon. For example, Machop-line has been the go-to early Fighting-type until Timburr and no generation until Gen V introduced a true counterpart for it, only Kanto and Hoenn had other early Fighting-types in the form of version exclusive Mankey-line and Makuhita-line and to a lesser extent Meditite-line, though the latter took this role more obviously in Sinnoh. Similarly, some Pokémon were introduced because their counterparts were non-existent, such as Nosepass which fills in the role of Onix as a wall for the first gym(it even got a part Steel-type evolution in the gen after). But there are stuff that cross the line with each other, such as Abra, which along with its (arguably) counterparts Machop and Gastly-line took the role of an early three-stager of its type, and in Abra's case one that is hard to properly train and obtain... even if we did have Ralts, which was meant to do Abra's job. Granted, you can obtain Ralts a bit earlier but still.

Some stuff on the other hand, are just ever present. Even though Bulbapedia made a list out of them, it still doesn't include stuff you can catch in most games, such as Slugma-line, Pikachu-line, Shroomish-line, Girafarig, Ditto and others. Some of them actually have clear defined roles, for example Slugma is meant to be an Egg hatcher(though Litwick-line might one-up them in that area) and Ditto's obvious, but others, not so much.

Though by and large, B2W2's selection seems to be primarily based off fanservice than game balancing, which is rather obvious considering the promotions they have done. But with the hammering down of "You can catch old Pokémon!" ever since the first direct(as well as that whole "you can obtain Kanto starters" thing going on in Pokébeach leaks), this might be the case for X and Y as well. If anything, the amount of old Pokémon we have been showcased has reached 57, which is quite impressive.

In Spanish they seem to be called after art. "Pueblo Boceto" means "Sketch Town", "Ciudad Novarte" is a made up word, but it would be something like "Newart City" "Luminalia" is pretty much the same as in English. Kalos does seem to be named after beauty in Greek.
That's basically the same in French ("Bourg Croquis", "Neuvartault", "Illumis".)

Dark / Poison is actually really bad as far as types go; by itself, Poison is not a bad type if paired with the right kind of moves (for example, Fire Blast, Ice Beam, and Thunder/bolt as well as Recover), but Dark/Poison trades the great Fighting / Bug resists of Poison for a really mediocre STAB, Dark resist (mostly irrelevant), and the ability to take Mewtwo on a bit more confidently. That's not much, frankly.

@Above: You should never want to use Finneon / Lumineon. Not even once.
I guess I am hoping for a Dark/Poison with Ground immunity so it has no weakness, really. Perhaps it could have very high defenses, since I imagined it being defensive anyway.

You're thinking of Levitate, bro. But I could see a flavor ability for the Pokemon with an identical effect (kinda like Battle Armor and Shell Armor, or Insomnia and Vital Spirit).

And I also think we could really use a Poison-legendary, that stays Poison (ie: not Poison Arceus).
That is what I meant, an ability with an identical effect that fits the flavor. It would not make much sense for, say, a snake to have Levitate, after all.

Yeah, I am just asking for one, as it is the only type not represented by a Legendary.

I personaly hope for lots of new pokemon, that really does it for me. I wouldn't be happy with just 50 at all. That said, just 100 would be understandable since we already got lots of pokes. But please, no less then 100 :(

That said there are already 20 new pokemons revealed (counting mewtwos new form) and guessing with their evolutions roughly between 32 and 40. Also thinking about a bunch new fairies they would release and a few legends, you come out higher. They also said they wana release the game simultaniously so people go and and see for themself wich new pokemon the world contains. So yes, I highly doubt 50 is the max amount of new pokemon.

I hope Fennekin's evolutionary line aren't fire/fighting. Let it be anything else, like fire/psychic or just plain fire. Otherwise, let's see who'll get new evolutions, if they make a legendary posion type, and other type combos (i.e Grass/Electric, Ice/Poison, Rock/Dragon just anything new) Kalos should be interesting, and hopefully not the last region.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
"We're dancing here for no reason! One day, we'll disappear for no reason!"
That, and the others from B2/W2 were borderline horrible :P I mean, they did have to come up with around 10 different reasons due to how many areas were blocked off, but it was getting bad as the region went on.

At first, it was like "Oh, the Skyarrow Bridge hasn't been inspected for almost 2 years" [the time between the games] and I thought "Okay, that's reasonable."
Then later on, things like "We're testing how many people the bridge can hold! You can go on now, or you'd mess up the results!" ... Not to mention, they pulled the construction card like 4 times..

That, and the others from B2/W2 were borderline horrible :P I mean, they did have to come up with around 10 different reasons due to how many areas were blocked off, but it was getting bad as the region went on.

At first, it was like "Oh, the Skyarrow Bridge hasn't been inspected for almost 2 years" [the time between the games] and I thought "Okay, that's reasonable."
Then later on, things like "We're testing how many people the bridge can hold! You can go on now, or you'd mess up the results!" ... Not to mention, they pulled the construction card like 4 times..
If you've ever lived in a major city, you know that's actually a lot less unrealistic than it sounds :P

But joking asside, they really do need to be a little more creative about the whole "broken bridge" scenario problem. It gets a little annoying when you literally have a group of identical looking guys standing in the way for NO GODDAMN REASON. Then again, I'm pretty sure that the game was straight up lamp-shading it at that point.

I still don't get it.
Because every cave in every game pre-BW has been infested with them. How can you play Pokemon and not have a healthy fear of Zubat?

They were absent from BW because they were breeding, biding their time. And now they're back, and in greater numbers.

Because every cave in every game pre-BW has been infested with them. How can you play Pokemon and not have a healthy fear of Zubat?

They were absent from BW because they were breeding, biding their time. And now they're back, and in greater numbers.
Maybe because I started to like them after GSC gave us Crobat. I just thought they were annoying back in Mt. Moon, but all they need is some lovins to evolve into a pretty useful in-game monster. They never did a ton of harm anyway, so I think it's a goofy thing to genuinely dislike/fear when Zubats themselves have been type casted this whole time as cave dwellers (also they were available in the Castelia sewers). Have some sympathy, man!

Does anypne else here think that the link battles look a little too... I don't know. Cyberspacey?
It does seem a bit unnatural for Pokemon, but maybe they decided that these newfangled wirless communications deserved a sleek contemporary field to settle battles in

If you've ever lived in a major city, you know that's actually a lot less unrealistic than it sounds :P

But joking asside, they really do need to be a little more creative about the whole "broken bridge" scenario problem. It gets a little annoying when you literally have a group of identical looking guys standing in the way for NO GODDAMN REASON. Then again, I'm pretty sure that the game was straight up lamp-shading it at that point.
I don't know, I found that pretty funny... It was obviously notsupposed to take seriously.

I would prefer they choose even crazier/stupider reasons to block your path, in fact...

...By the way, I really hope we have music like Village Bridge again (DIY Music). It was one of my favorite music...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)