Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping Honedge evolves purely for the fact that it looks weak as hell right now. Hopefully it doesnt get stuck in that single-no evolution state a la Sabeleye

Really digging Honedge's design and typing. Hopefully it'll evolve twice for a full-fledged haunted suit of armor.

As a side note, unsheathed Honedge reminds me a bit of the Goddess Sword from LOZSS, especially with it being sentient and all. Nice touch, since that's probably one of my favorite Zelda games.

whoops completely forgot that levitate isnt confirmed yet, tho you are correct theres lots of pkmn that float but dont have levitate. We're going to have to wait an see.

Yes but those pkmn a still "monsters." Honedge is literately an inanimate object but this is gamefreak so anything can happen.
Well, there's nothing preventing the sword from staying the same, but everything else could. The tassle arm could easily change or expand and the hilt could change as well

If they go full tsukumogami with it, there's nothing preventing it from growing further limbs and altering the sword it possesses

buuuuut there's something about the design, as it is now, that feels "complete" to me.

Because some people can not just sit on there 3DS just trying to get Flawless Pokes. And sone don't have much time on there hands. And IV's help to keep up-par well others in Wi-fi battling.

If few people could spare the time to get flawless pokes then you'd see people outsourcing breeding (assuming no RNG/hacking). If the wifi zone has no 3rd party hacking software the need to 'legitimately' hack would be reduced as few people everyone would have flawless mons. Even if they did they wouldn't be able to get them quick enough to adapt to changing metagame playstyles.

I personally think RNG is silly so long as third party hacks are available. Just hack, its the same thing.

gamefreak doesn't really agree with that but let's not get into a debate over the ethics of rng & hacking and so forth

This new sword-mon that was released with ghost/steel typing.
It loooks floating could it have levitate.
If i remember corectly a ghost/steel mon with levitate was rumored of long before.
But looking at magnezone we don't know for sure that it has levitate but it would be cool only fire weakness.

Well, I don't know how to edit posts in this and this technically isn't double-posting. So there.
Between Hitotsuki, Monorpale and Honedge there seems to be a theme of oneness to the names. This could suggest an evo (although hopefully one not as dumb as Dugtrio...)

Oh! Good observation!

I was confused with the Japanese name because I kept splitting it as Hito- Tsuki, and wondered what it had to do with human and moon. xD
A lonely sword, perhaps?

To all of you hoping for an evolution: We all thought Cherrim was going to evolve too.
I don't think this would apply in this situation unless Honedge was the evolution?? I mean, it's quite possible that Honedge is single-staged, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, especially if its stats aren't subpar (but I, personally, would like to see an evolution).

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
What happened back in 2006, when DP wasn't released yet, is that Cherrim was revealed and, like, 99% of the internet thought it was a pre-evo of a much stronger pokémon. In the end, not only it didn't evolve but was the evolved form of an even weaker pokémon.

People are hoping (or are even 100% sure) Honedge will evolve or be a strong evolved form of another pokémon, but we may get a new Cherrim. Down to the 480 BST, shitty pre-evo and everything.

I would use Basculin as a better example of a Pokemon that was disappointing and not evolving...I can't tell you how many of my friends trained that thing like crazy expecting something like a Gyarados to pop up.

I used Cherrim as an example because it was a pre-release pokémon which left quite a mark on me (I'm still hoping the fucker will evolve into a Fire/Grass 550 BST sakura tree). Basculin, on the other hand, is so forgettable to me I had to google its name because I had Yu-Gi-Oh! in mind for a while. Yeah.

(was it even a BW pre-release pokémon?)

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Honedge could be one part of 6th gen's legendary trio. Ghost / Steel typing is unique enough to fit in a tro (forget the johto trio lol), and its name could indicate its the first of the three (hONEdge, MONOrpale, HITOTSUki). Others are speculating that it could be the first of an evolutionary line, but I don't see how this thing can evolve haha. Its pokedex entry definitely doesnt show an hints as to it being a baby pokemon.

Basculin isn't bad, though.
Basculin is awful :| (And try to tie your comments back to the new games)

Least intelligent post I've seen. And I believe it's against the rules.
be nice.

But I wouldn't overthink Honedge's potential evolutionary family. We default to thinking that everything small and (mostly) without extreme detail is going to evolve because it happens with almost everything that does evolve, and I don't think it's a bad thing to assume that something is going to get bigger and better-looking. If Honedge has good viable stats on its own and doesn't evolve, it won't be as disappointing as having a dinky Pokémon with a good defensive type combo being unable to put it to any use.

Basculin is awful :|
if you don't like basculin your opinion is just wrong okay :mad:
basculin-asian and basculin-caucasian are both great. fun to use. adaptability is fun.

honedge does seem like one of those gimmick pokemon with average to above-average stats that doesn't evolve; but i could also see it getting new formes, like rotom. this thing... reminds me a lot of rotom, honestly. maybe the spirit inside will inhabit other weapons/tools of war?
/still hopes for fe weapon triangle ;n;

It's funny because both Basculin and Cherrim are both completely legitimate Pokemon in NU. A Pokemon isn't terrible because it's not in OU. There are 51 Pokemon in OU. That's 7%.

But anyways.

Honedge is a very predictable step forward when it comes to Pokemon design; Pokemon based on weaponry seemed pretty inevitable as it is. Unsheathed it doesn't look very special, but the Scabbard has a pretty good design. I'm just glad that the stock photos of the Pokemon show it in the Scabbard, meaning that's its main form. Hopefully the unsheathed Honedge is just a temporary attacking form.

Knowing Gamefreak Honedge is going to have Cursed Body and something like Clear Body/Aftermath/Hyper Cutter as abilities

But I wouldn't overthink Honedge's potential evolutionary family. We default to thinking that everything small and (mostly) without extreme detail is going to evolve because it happens with almost everything that does evolve, and I don't think it's a bad thing to assume that something is going to get bigger and better-looking. If Honedge has good viable stats on its own and doesn't evolve, it won't be as disappointing as having a dinky Pokémon with a good defensive type combo being unable to put it to any use.

There are some examples of large Pokemon evolving, such as Onix and Scyther, but a trend they seem to have is that they are cross-generational. There aren't many recent Pokemon that start off fairly large and still evolve (I can't even think of any off the top of my head - prove me wrong!).

But really, Honedge strikes me as the first Pokemon we've seen besides mayyyyyybe Gogoat that may not have any evolutionary relatives. And Gogoat is a weird one because we've maybe seen the prevo already, albeit unconfirmed.

Honedge as it stands now is a lamer. Design is just too basic...it's a sword. Here's hoping it evolves into a set of armor, then it may be in my faves list, depending on stats and moves and stuff.

Noivern would be such a badass if it wasn't for the silly ear things. They are all I can look at and distract from an otherwise cool design. Shame.

My fave design so far is flabebe but its going to suck.

What I'm most excited about is fairy gardevoir. I've owned my gardevoir since sapphire. It's one of those mons that can work perfectly well in ou. Can't wait too see the full type chart. Did they mention yet if it is psychic/fairy or just fairy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)