1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

Perhaps you should look to your Legendary counterpart?
    I do agree though, I'd kinda hoped "Fairy type" wouldn't just mean "super cutesy type" but for the most part that seems to be their direction so far. Then again, the evolutions of the currently revealed Fairies might balance things out.
  2. Issus

Issus

I do agree that there is a general feel for each type. Then again, it's kind of a given if you take it from the angle that they are designed to fit type characteristics, or are typed according to what they look like/ act like / do. It wouldn't make visual sense to make a Charizard a water type for example. Fairy types just seem to have that Cutesy/beauty thing going on. It was a good idea to include the type when the theme for the region as a whole is beauty I guess.

I have honestly never understood Mawile... I should probably look into it seeing as it's not a bad looking Pokemon IMO.
    the exception to the the fairy rule might be Spritzee's evolution...

[​IMG]
    This seems like a likely hood to me.. and wouldn't it be lovely. Although, the hat looks a bit much.

EDIT: Fan art from http://anxious-chimera.deviantart.com/ If I'm not supposed to post the link to the original I apologize, you always have to credit the artist in these things IMO.
  3. Yveltal

Yveltal

There's a reason I didn't consider Jirachi when I was making my argument about Pokémon whose design breaks the norm that others of their type follow. Legendaries are differeeeeent...and I think it's rude to count legendaries in on most statistics revolving around certain groups of Pokémon that they may fall under, especially when one is talking about design norms and other related art stereotypes. As an example, Palkia is registered as "purple", which is uncommon for both Dragon and Water types, but he's legendary and was created based on a very grand origin in contrast to most other Pokémon that share either one (or both. Thanks, Kingdra) of his types.
    Xerneas himself, though...while he could have easily been a meatier slightly taller looking Sawsbuck, which would have lended to less prominent posing and more natural, rounded features, he uses an otherworldly regality in his design that may come with the theming of Fairy types as they evolve. However, I think Xerneas only gets that royal otherworldliness and advanced ethereal aura because he's a box legendary, and he has a role to fill other than being a new Pokémon or an interesting new version exclusive. His status is why he's so different from the other native Fairy types, where Mawile was quite common in RS and wasn't being treated like anything special.
    cant say likes this.
  4. Shiruba

Shiruba

^ Since when was Mawile common? It's found in Victory Road and Granite Cave, correct? It's also not in Sapphire at all.

As-is, I think that's part of it, but I do believe that Game Freak is also trying to get the message out that fairy =/= cutesy or girly, necessarily. I certainly wouldn't consider Gardevoir to be cute, and I would consider Xerneas to be quite elegant as well. Sure, I wouldn't give the typing to something like Hydreigon, which totally exemplifies a brutal dragon with its typing reflecting that nicely, but it shows that 'fairy' has many meanings - it can be cutesy tinkerbells, elegant and ethereal beings, or even conniving tricksters that sneak up on travellers lost in the woods. There's a lot of variety, and while Nintendo has never been one to test social waters, I'd hardly call the company bigoted or stereotypical. They're also not required to broadcast new typings with the box legendaries - which of Ho-Oh, Lugia, or even Suicune are Dark or Steel-types? Thought so.
  5. Lovedrive

Lovedrive

lol yeah I don't remember Mawile being common. Sounds more like one of the Pokemon I might forget even existed if I wasn't reminded of it. But whatever the case I still think Mawile is the exception to Fairy types looking like fairies. Like all happy and bouncy and stuff. Just like how there are water types that don't look like fishies of course there will be fairies that don't look pink/happy/whatever.
  6. Deck Knight

Deck Knight October Surprise
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

Yes, this is what I'm getting at. Thus far the fairies that aren't tied back to older generations (This includes Sylveon, since it's obviously going to be Eevee-like) seem to have a sphere at their base and then minor details drawn around it. Flabebe has a tiny body and little arms to attach to its flower, Spritzee is a vaguely avian fluff bird with Kirby feet, and Swirlix is a literal puffball.

Take Fire for example. Even in Gen I you had its representatives primarily from various mammals, Charizard actually being the notable exception. Another group with low representation was Electric, which had high variations - Magnemite actually departed from being vaguely spherical when it evolved. Ghost and Dragon didn't really get a fair range of diversity until Gen III, but even in those gens the pokemon that made up the group were fairly diverse.

Most of the Gen V Fairy Pokemon look like they'd start a "How to Draw" with "First, Draw a Big Circle..." That's really what I'm getting at.
  7. Yveltal

Yveltal

lol I played Ruby, so I had a beautiful Mawile to give all my lovins to. And you can also find them in the Cave of Origin and Sky Pillar as well, all the same places you could find Sabeleye in Sapphire (I forgot for a minute that they were a pair of version exclusives). But unless Mawile's getting an evolution, I don't wanna dwell on the species all night.
  8. Faint

Faint Valar morghulis
    is a Tiering Contributor

9. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Hey guess what that is

It's Not Pokemon XY: Don't Talk About It Version
    Ingo, Joeyboy and b2j135 like this.
  10. lucariojr

lucariojr goodra will hunting
    is a Contributor to Smogon

pkm mmo confirmed
  11. Kirbyofthestars

Kirbyofthestars

Another version!? This is something we should talk about!

Yeah; we don't even know if it's related to Pokémon yet, especially since it's some sort of collaboration (which could mean a crossover or something entirely different).
  12. Yveltal

Yveltal

Given that there appears to be a shiny pony in that image, I'm betting Game Freak has a hand in a new Harvest Moon game, or some other game series that's been around for a long time that involves chibi animals.
    We're likely going to have to move along. Sorry bout it.
  13. EIFF

EIFF

What if it has something to do with "the biggest scoop of the century" that CoroCoro talked about?
  14. vyomov

vyomov

I think...
    IT'S AN EMERALD REMAKE!!!!
    Shiruba likes this.
  15. Wazzup360

Wazzup360

I really wonder what is SO big that they can call it "the scoop of the century". I mean that would mean bigger then fairy, pokemanz in 3D, double/trple/rotations etc etc. I just wonder if it's a competetive change or a gameplay change, since we are focused on competetive mostly but forget the non competetive aspects sometimes.
  16. Doom Desire

Doom Desire

A second new type, like Digital or Artificial.
  17. Dragonite85

Dragonite85

Maybe you can finally start with any pokemon that has 3 stages and is native to the region. Or you can now choose a pokemon from multiple rock-paper-scizor triangles. e. q. You could choose from the classic grass-fire-water or you can choose a pokemon from dark-psychic-ghost triangle.
    This would qualify as "the scoop of the century" in my book.
    Also they could just simply tweak the typechart.
  18. Shiruba

Shiruba

darkpsychicghostisnotatriangle
    7aaskhalsdkgh

but oh my god please hoenn remakes please i know it's not gonna happen but you could tell they were going to when they revamped all of the hoenn sprites for x and y and it's just

give me hoenn or give me death
  19. Yveltal

Yveltal

That's all marketing. Isn't every new movie out there the best one of the year that all the critics are supposedly raving about when it's released? There's nothing wrong with over-exaggerating the scale of a project if it's a big deal to the creators (which it often is, but you don't see that level of hyperbolic marketing in video game advertisements quite as often as other products)

But why would they talk about the release of a Hoenn game now, when all the Pokémon hype is supposed to be on XY?

EDIT-Serebii says that the url includes a term, "Soritiba" which was trademarked by GF last year. Dernit, why doesn't this help.
  20. jynx

jynx

Am I the only one who think that it's more likely to be Harmo Knight rather than Pokemon?
    So let's shove it aside...

Anyway, the only thing I would miss in RSE is the Pokemon Contest, which I think it's better than the DP ones.
    Since Pokemon XY has the Pokemon Amie feature and you can feed it, I think it's likely to have something similar... at least I hope.
  21. Anartya

Anartya

• When I say don't talk about it because it's not XY related, I meant it
    I think it's a Harvest Moon remake, not pokemon related.
  22. AccidentalGreed

AccidentalGreed HOMERUN, CABRONES
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon

I lost my interest and hope in Ruby/Sapphire remakes for a while now, and I hope you guys do understand that Gamefreak isn't following a specific or spontaneous pattern here. They're only made by an unpredictable race called humans after all.

And I would t think too much about that sillhoette as well. It's a collaboration, so there's a high probability it will never be Pokemon-related aside from common development relationships.
  23. Yveltal

Yveltal

I noticed that the three new abilities released so far all encourage fighting in multi battles. Running into a hoard of Pokémon with one Swirlix in it would ruin your chance of putting any of them to sleep, so maybe they have plans to create a stronger double/triple battle metagame with abilities that effect more than one Pokémon. If they release a sizeable number of new techniques along with Parabolic Charge that hit multiple other Pokémon on the field, then it may be a sign that they are really seeking to make battles between more than two Pokémon more exciting.
  24. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Why do people keep thinking it is one single scoop that is so large
    It seems to me this is magazine speak for a whole bunch of XY info (pokemon, story, new mechanics, blah blah blah)
  25. Stellar

Stellar
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Orange Islands

I had never even considered the possibility of six versus six team battles. It seems like they would definitely be possible with the advent of hoard battles.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)