1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youngjake93

youngjake93

There is also the possibility of them reworking move combatibility. They seem into changing game mechanics up a lot this gen. Dragon moves for Ampharos and maybe things like Nasty Plot for Gengar if they rework it?

One thing to think about, does Intimidate activate before MegaEvolving? SD MegaMawile could function somewhat like DD Gyarados/Salamence if so.
  2. Mulan15262

Mulan15262

I'd like the first idea, but Serperior should be Grass/Dragon. It resembles Dragon types. I'd also prefer Chlorophyll as it's ability, not to mention its pokedex entries state that Snivy's movements are swifter when it is bright sunlight, making Chlorophyll make sense. It would also become the fastest pokemon in sunlight, unless Choice Scarf+Chlorophyll or Whimsicott running Chlorophyll is seen. SolarBeam by level up is pointless, though, as it gets SolarBeam via TM, and, with it being a TM in all 5 gens so far, I doubt they will revoke its TM status.

I actually like Mega Evolutions, and I will probably play in tiers in which mega pokemon are allowed.
  3. richi3f

richi3f

The official site says that Mega Evolution is a "a transformation found only in the Kalos region," so there might be hope for these Pokémon in Gen VII.
  4. P2X7

P2X7

Just saying, you put Draining Kiss as a placeholder, but it actually would be pretty good if it learns it, if you account for Draining Kiss healing the user like Drain Punch/Horn Leech/etc.
  5. ShootingStarmie

ShootingStarmie
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Although it isn't a huge concern at the moment, does this mean Pokemon like Lucario and Blaziken can use Evolite? I'm thinking of like a really bulky Ampharos might become viable in the higher tiers?

Edit: Omg, imagine Evolite Mewtwo in Ubers 9.9
    Spinda likes this.
  6. Fibble

Fibble

I agree with Mega Serperior being Grass/Dragon. If any Pokémon is Grass/Fire, it should be a Mega Sunflora, since
    it's based on a SUNflower...not sure if anyone would use it though.

I really want a Fire/Dragon Mega Charizard, with an ability that's actually useful...

@ShootinStarmie: I don't think Pokémon that Mega Evolve can use Evolite, since Mega Evolution isn't actually real evolving; it's just a temporary super-charged mode, so...
  7. Jukain

Jukain .leaf
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor

Mega evolutions are in-battle only -- I think it's been made clear that they're separate from standard evolutions through that and other information, so I doubt they will enable Eviolite to be used on their non-Mega formes.
  8. NightFall

NightFall

Do we know if the mega stones are one time use (like berries) or permanent (like the Timespace orbs)
  9. GenXXZ

GenXXZ

They're likely permanent because it's been explained by the main website that the Mega Stones are hidden throughout the Kalos region and that it's a quest to find them, implying that there aren't multiple copies.
  10. Frost Nocturne

Frost Nocturne

Did anyone notice this detail?
    • Mega Mewtwo is specialized in Sp. Atk while Mega Blaziken is specialized in Attack.
    It's looking like Mega Mewtwo may be giving Deoxys / Deoxys-A some competition, assuming it's speed also increases as expected. It design does appear more offensively specialized and sleek.
  11. DeathIncarnate501

DeathIncarnate501

In some sort of boxing ring so probably Fighting???
  12. ChaosABliss

ChaosABliss

MegaLucario is gonna shit on OU pokes! (:
  13. Yveltal

Yveltal

Blazikenite can't be found through normal gameplay. I assume that a character-specific item like that wouldn't be disposable. Mega Stones are definitely the new Soul Dew.
    What? She clearly wears rollerblades and the inside of her gym is built like a skate park. There's a screenshot from the new trailer that shows the player grinding on a rail across the gym. She's standing in what looks like the edge of a rink or a shallow bowl.
    This doesn't discredit the Fighting type possibility, but there isn't a connection to boxing...at all

This makes me think, though, showcasing MegaLucario over other Mega-mons and this (possibly) Fighting-type gym leader who KNOWS about MEvo (I'm shortening Mega Evolution to MEvo from now on), may mean that one of the first MEvo'd Pokemon we'll see is MegaLucario, under the ownership of this Gym Leader.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    Crystalzee likes this.
  14. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

It would also be terrible for anyone wanting to use the event Torchic, since you'd only get 1 use of Mega Blaziken
  15. Keldeo1997

Keldeo1997

I am wondering something. If a pokemon with there mega stone goes though mega evolution during battle and for some reason loses there mega stone for like knock off what happens? Does the pokemon downgrade or stays at its megalution?
  16. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

You probably can not knock it off while transformed.
    Same principle behind Giratina-O and the Arceus while holding a Plate.
  17. Dizzybanana21x

Dizzybanana21x

Do we know if the megastones will work on any blaziken or lucario or does it have to be a specific one (like an event one)
  18. GenXXZ

GenXXZ

I suppose this could happen, but this would mean that we now how two gym leaders that have Lucario as their "Signature" fighting type, the other one being Maylene. So I have my doubts.
  19. DarkEspeon

DarkEspeon

The same could be said of the Megaevos. I'd normally agree with this,but come on! If this isn't jumping the shark, I don't know what is.
  20. Lanturn314

Lanturn314

My current pet theory on Mega Evolution is that a mon has to have maxed-out EVs (maybe in particular stats, who knows?) in order to be able to use a Mega Stone to mega evolve.

Think about it:
    -The new gym leader Korrina apparently holds the secret to mega evolution
    -She is located in the same town as the super training facility according to Serebii
    -super training facility makes it easier to raise EVs
    -you can now keep track of EVs in a meter, so it's easy enough to see how close you are to MegaEvolution if this is the case.

Thoughts?
    Dreamox, Codraroll, richi3f and 2 others like this.
  21. Anartya

Anartya

I actually think (with this renovation of the ev system) that pokemon will no longer give ev's. As in experience is still earned, but the ev's are not. Basically they strip the "ev's gained" from the pokemon. So for instance Bascullin still gives you experince, but not the 2 speed ev's.

If you think about it, it doesn't make sense for pokemon to give EVs, if there is the menu showing what your "Kiso"(EVs) points are only at the super training facility. People would be annoyed/find inconvinient if EVs increase in trainer/wild battles and they find to their surprise in the super training facility that they maxed evs in the wrong places, as you can only view evs in the super training facility.

Only the super training mini games, I feel will give evs, not pokemon.

I feel EVs completely ruin the fun of having the journey from starter to E4. I hate how you are forced to face pokemon that give you evs in stats that you don't need in-game. Abra forced to face machop as an example, by a trainer battle that cannot be avoided.

I always liked gold and silver's sytem because evs weren't the way they are now. SO forced battles of abra and machop doesn't solely increase attack, it increases all the stats proportional to machops base stats.

In BW/BW2 I have to carefully choose which pokemon to face who, so they get evs in the right places. I would love it if evs were not gained by battle but only super training. Now you don't have to be so picky with pokemon match ups.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  22. pharaohcalvin

pharaohcalvin

I would hate this. I for one don't want to play stupid mini-games to ev. The old system is fine. So what if you got random evs, you can clear them with berries. But then again hwo often do you actually ev and use the pokemon through your normal play through? (For the required, I am not against the mini-game eving, just stating I for one given the choice will do it the old way.)
  23. DarkEspeon

DarkEspeon

You'd choose a method that takes much longer,is more tedious, and is in general harder to do? I don't understand this at all unless you REALLY hate minigames.
  24. GenXXZ

GenXXZ

... Eh. I'm almost positive that the prospect of earning EVs through defeating Pokemon will be at least explained to the player so they understand why their Pokemon already have effort values once they begin to Super Train. There's also the possibility that the "Get rid of EVs for friendship" berries will make a more accessible return this gen, or that there may be a whole new way to delete unwanted EVs.
  25. Green

Green

The old system was awful, I'm so glad they finally revamped EV training.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)