Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll for those of you who don't know,the Mega Evolution have been confirmed by souces: 'pokemon.com., serebii.net, and bulipideia (I spelled that wrong don't judge me .-.) But anyways only 3 Pokemon (Lucario, Blazeken, and Mewto) have been confirmed as the following Mega Evolutions...Also nintendo is having a special event that will take place the same day Pokemon X and Pokemon Y will be released. For more info., on that special event go to pokemon.com, and look in the News and events segment!
All this was already known, special event I assume you're referring to is the Torchic over wifi. It was confirmed and has been discussed for a bit already.

Personally, I am a fan for the Super Sayain evolutions. If you're gonna compare MegaEvos to something it may as well be to DBZ not Digimon as it's only in battle.

However I do wonder how it'll work. I mean, if it's like a berry and only works once during a match it won't be that helpful unless being held back for a sweep. If it's fully permanent we may see a "Mega Stone clause" like the old Soul Dew clause. If there are say 30+ Mega's we may ban them from OU for simplicity sake if Megas are too centralizing. However if it's only say 10 we could ban stuff like MegaBlaze as normal Blaziken is Uber anyway.

I would love to see all the starters get Megas. I think that would be awesome to see. Fire/Dragon MegaZard, MegaTyphlosion with 150 Sp. Atk and 130 Spd with Eruption? Yes please.

Next month I am looking forward to seeing the new Type Chart with Fairy there. Will be good to finally know what types may be buffed.

Assuming XY runs similar to most Gens we should see Dedenne, Bunnelby/Litleo, Scatterbug and Fletchling all before the 2nd gym. I'm not sure if Bunnelby or Litleo will be the early normal type.

Needless to say, I'm pumped for XY!

Well on the bright side, I was hoping for some sort of big system mechanic to make things like EV spreads more complex and thoughtful than they generally are now and this sort of plays to that. Figuring out spreads to reach certain points in non-mega mode as well as mega mode at the same time will be a lot of fun for theorycrafters like myself.

However I do wonder how it'll work. I mean, if it's like a berry and only works once during a match it won't be that helpful unless being held back for a sweep. If it's fully permanent we may see a "Mega Stone clause" like the old Soul Dew clause. If there are say 30+ Mega's we may ban them from OU for simplicity sake if Megas are too centralizing. However if it's only say 10 we could ban stuff like MegaBlaze as normal Blaziken is Uber anyway.
Now that we know that Blazikenite is only obtainable via event, I'm going to guess that they aren't like berries. It would be cruel to have it "consumed" and you only get one shot of Mega Blaziken until the next distribution rolls around.
But it's not permanent, either. It's confirmed to be in battle only and it wears off by the end, and the wording ("temporary" is thrown around a lot) implies to me that it only lasts so many turns.

They also straight up mentioned that you need more than the stone to go mega. They didn't say what other criteria needed to be met (probably revealed next month with the next batch), but I have one theory: You can only use it after either a number of turns into the battle or after losing a number of Pokemon.
I base this almost entirely on how they're presented on the official site
Trainers will have a great opportunity to turn a battle around and snag a win!
They make it sound like this can be your trump card to pull you out of a bad spot.

But that could also just be marketing talk I guess so
Assuming XY runs similar to most Gens we should see Dedenne, Bunnelby/Litleo, Scatterbug and Fletchling all before the 2nd gym. I'm not sure if Bunnelby or Litleo will be the early normal type.

Needless to say, I'm pumped for XY!
We know Litleo can be encountered at Level 5, at least. Though it's probably more along the lines of the new Shinx or Purrloin or Lillipup.

Now that we know that Blazikenite is only obtainable via event, I'm going to guess that they aren't like berries. It would be cruel to have it "consumed" and you only get one shot of Mega Blaziken until the next distribution rolls around.
True I forgot about in-game uses as well.

But it's not permanent, either. It's confirmed to be in battle only and it wears off by the end, and the wording ("temporary" is thrown around a lot) implies to me that it only lasts so many turns.
Lasting a certain amount of turns could be interesting.

They also straight up mentioned that you need more than the stone to go mega. They didn't say what other criteria needed to be met (probably revealed next month with the next batch), but I have one theory: You can only use it after either a number of turns into the battle or after losing a number of Pokemon.
That makes me think it could be a HP thing. Like if you're below 50% or 33% HP the MegaStone kicks in. Imagine Belly Drum with that. Come in, scare something off, Belly Drum and enter Mega mode. I don't think anything currently announced has Belly Drum but makes me want MegaZard a lot more now.

We know Litleo can be encountered at Level 5, at least. Though it's probably more along the lines of the new Shinx or Purrloin or Lillipup.
I feel like if we can get Fletchling and Litleo say before the first gym, the early stages of the game will be rather Fire-Type heavy moreso if you picked Fennekin

While I see Megakin being event exclusive for X and Y, I feel as if it will become more available in whatever the third version pairing will be. While this doesn't discount what you just said, it doesn't mean they don't have a chance to pull that shit.

If Regigigas has taught us anything, it's that abilities that activate after a set number of turns are very hard to work with. I guess the difference is that non-mega Pokemon are able to hold their own and can function perfectly well while they're waiting for their stone to kick in.

I think Mega pokemon could add a really interesting dynamic to battling once we find out their process and evaluate the risk/reward associated with such a strategy. You could potentially end up with a really powerful pokemon on your team, or you could end up with a pokemon who doesn't have a useful held item.

MegaEvolutions are MegaBadass, but i hope there is a logical thing for those evolutions, i would be disappointed to see like "Hey we got a new awesome feature, we are gonna create some story no one cares aboud around it to make it believable !", i'd feel screwed if it's like that, but I appreciate the fact that the Pokemon Company is coming out of their safe/confort-zone

If Regigigas has taught us anything, it's that abilities that activate after a set number of turns are very hard to work with. I guess the difference is that non-mega Pokemon are able to hold their own and can function perfectly well while they're waiting for their stone to kick in.
If it's at the end of the turn say like when you get a Speed Boost, you could just come in, protect, then Mega Evolve. Obviously these leads open to counters but assuming they live up to the term "Mega" it shouldn't be an issue.

if it's an end of turn thing that could be pretty cool. Maybe if they buff Feint a bit, it'd start seeing more use on teams as a way to bypass protect on pokemon suspected of megavolving, and allow for mind games.

This does also mean that all pokemon capable of megavolving will be even more unpredictable when mixed into a team. Now not only do you have to guess what set Lucario is running, you have to account for the fact that it might just turn badass if you don't knock it out fast enough.

If anyone has seen Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, you remember how the Ultamatrix adapts the alien forms Ben has to simulate what would happen if there were a 10,000 year war on their planet.

Maybe these new Pokemon are similar - changing forms to adapt to the rise in battling.

This does also mean that all pokemon capable of megavolving will be even more unpredictable when mixed into a team. Now not only do you have to guess what set Lucario is running, you have to account for the fact that it might just turn badass if you don't knock it out fast enough.
Plus if these Megas can run Special, Physically or mixed then teams are in some big trouble. I do hope though that it isn't always offense though. Would love some defensive Megas. Like MegaMetagross with a buff to 100HP, 150 Def and 100 Sp. Def.

I was wondering what other legends could get Megas? I'm hoping it's not limited to Mewtwo (as awesome as Mewtwo is) but wouldn't it be cool to have MegaRegigigas? MegaRayquazza? MegaLugia?

so far it seems like just about anything can get a mega form, legends included. (mewtwo proves this)

I predict that all the starters will get mega forms at least. MegaCharizard just seems like too much of an easy opportunity for Nintendo to make money because Charizard already appeals to the powerplay kiddies and what better way to reach out to that demographic than to Megafy it?

I wanna see Megaweavile and Megadunsparce already. c'mon.

so far it seems like just about anything can get a mega form, legends included. (mewtwo proves this)

I predict that all the starters will get mega forms at least. MegaCharizard just seems like too much of an easy opportunity for Nintendo to make money because Charizard already appeals to the powerplay kiddies and what better way to reach out to that demographic than to Megafy it?

I wanna see Megaweavile and Megadunsparce already. c'mon.
While I don't think every starter will get a mega form, I could at least see the kanto starters getting them. Would synergize well with the one we get from Sycamore (note: technically not confirmed, basing it on the pokebeach rumors)

I don't know, Starters are all very 'special' snowflakes amongst Pokemon since they're the representatives of each generation more or less. I think they're all gunning for Mega forms before anyone else. Then we have key legendaries and 'popular' pokemon like Lucario and Mewtwo, and finally weird left field pokemon that need help like Mawile.

I don't remember where I heard it, but someone was saying there'd be around 80 pokemon with mega forms? Was that mentioned anywhere in the rumors?

If there are say 30+ Mega's we may ban them from OU for simplicity sake if Megas are too centralizing.
If there's 30+ of them, and most are considered "too good", then I would think that the meta would adapt and simply bump the stuff that can't catch up down to lower tiers, 30 + is way too big a number to just outright ban from OU. You have to remember, they may end up looking overpowered compared to gen V's meta, but they're not a part of Gen V's meta, they're part of Gen VI and Gen V's meta is irrelevant here.

Hell, if there's a big enough power creep, then we might even see Speedboost Super Chicken come back down to OU.

I've been watching the videos showcasing MEvos, and everytime they come out of their rock/shell, they have full HP, so Idk about the 1/2 HP thing.

I'm guessing starters will all have a mega form, but will be very limited in distribution, similar to dream world abilities in BW. I'm a bit lost when it comes to datamining, are we going to be able to extract data like event pokes/forms from the game? Last I heard no one knows how to do that with 3ds yet

considering the hoops we apparently have to jump through in order to get Pokemon to megavolve, I think it'll be an issue at the start of the xy metagame but will normalize once people learn how to counter this strategy.

Don't forget that we don't know what kind of new moves will be introduced. There may be some accessible counter to mega evolutions for all we know.

I see all this speculation about how the criteria for Mega Evolution beyond holding a Mega Stone might be something that occurs during battle, like a turn delay, but.

Did you guys forget about the Tower of Mastery in Shalour City?

I'm 90% positive that the additional prerequisite to Mega Evolution involves some sort of out-of-battle training session / ceremony / check box fulfilled at the Tower of Mastery, and that Mega Evolution occurs immediately as a Mega-able Pokémon is sent into battle while holding the proper Mega Stone. Simple.

I highly doubt it's something so annoyingly convoluted that we'll have trouble strategizing with / around it.

I'm going to put my skittles on the theory table and bet that MEvoing happens similarily to Wonder Launchers, and you get the option to activate your Pokemon's Mega Stone in one of two scenarios:
A) You get an option on your battle screen to use the stone on any turn when it's being held by the appropriate Pokémon so long as the Pokémon is active without taking up a turn to MEvo after fulfilling a potential out of battle requirement
B) Mega Stones can only be activated after a certain number of turns have gone by in battle, regardless of whether the Pokémon capable of MEvoing has been active during the charging turns for the stone.

Mega Evolutions. . . .

Seems like they were trying to make Formes more common and in the end came up with this complete retooling of the concept. I wonder if Darmantian-Z would have a different one?

I wonder if its all mons or just certain ones meant to be competitive (so Farfetched/Ditto/Stunfisk wouldn't). It also seems specifically tied to the icon above the Japanese XY covers. Wonder if they plan on this existing past gen 6?

Man in a way I really like this item. I doubt it'll be monumental changes in BSTs but that it'd serve to be similar, in effect, to other items.

One thing that disappoints me is that they have it as a gimmick that must be had with this Torchic event...

So little bit of news, the japanese website actually says thew following, according to translators on serebii;

"Pokemon which have undergone Mega Evolution return to their normal form when the battle ends, however they cannot return to their normal form during battle. Also, only one Pokemon may undergo Mega Evolution per battle."

So it's going to be a kind of championing thing, where you pick one poke to be your mega. Personally, I think this is pretty cool. Though I am worried. If not all pokemon can be megas, what if your favorite poke can't be your 'champion'? I'd love it if sandslash got a mega, but I doubt he will, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)