Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Evolutions. . . .

Seems like they were trying to make Formes more common and in the end came up with this complete retooling of the concept. I wonder if Darmantian-Z would have a different one?

I wonder if its all mons or just certain ones meant to be competitive (so Farfetched/Ditto/Stunfisk wouldn't). It also seems specifically tied to the icon above the Japanese XY covers. Wonder if they plan on this existing past gen 6?

Man in a way I really like this item. I doubt it'll be monumental changes in BSTs but that it'd serve to be similar, in effect, to other items.

One thing that disappoints me is that they have it as a gimmick that must be had with this Torchic event...
They don't like phasing out big gameplay mechanics they same way they alternate through distractions/side quests each generation, so it's more than likely that MEvos are here to stay. It'd be a different story if they were invented in a side game or a spinoff...
On the mildly relevant topic of new Pokémon getting MEvos, I wonder which Gen VI Pokémon are going to have the opportunity to MEvo...

So little bit of news, the japanese website actually says thew following, according to translators on serebii;

"Pokemon which have undergone Mega Evolution return to their normal form when the battle ends, however they cannot return to their normal form during battle. Also, only one Pokemon may undergo Mega Evolution per battle."

So it's going to be a kind of championing thing, where you pick one poke to be your mega. Personally, I think this is pretty cool. Though I am worried. If not all pokemon can be megas, what if your favorite poke can't be your 'champion'? I'd love it if sandslash got a mega, but I doubt he will, for example.
I personally am ok with this this. If all pokemon in your team could be mega, it'd seem kind of redundant. So long as I get my MegaDragonite, I'm ok with this.

I don't know, Starters are all very 'special' snowflakes amongst Pokemon since they're the representatives of each generation more or less. I think they're all gunning for Mega forms before anyone else. Then we have key legendaries and 'popular' pokemon like Lucario and Mewtwo, and finally weird left field pokemon that need help like Mawile.

I don't remember where I heard it, but someone was saying there'd be around 80 pokemon with mega forms? Was that mentioned anywhere in the rumors?
Until yesterday no one anywhere said anything about Mega Evolutions, not even the big rumor.

Seeing as how Mega pkmn are technically the same pkmn, if they turn out to be broken do you guys think they'll ban the entire pkmn entirely of just the item?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Seeing as how Mega pkmn are technically the same pkmn, if they turn out to be broken do you guys think they'll ban the entire pkmn entirely of just the item?
It would essentially be the same as Soul Dew and Lati@s. The item would be banned rather than the Pokémon as a whole.

I doubt it takes a turn for the item to go into effect. based on my own personal analysis of the trailer it looks as if it's activated as soon as the pokemon is sent into battle. I also agree that all the pokemon will have to do is complete some task or levels within the mastery tower. Nothing too big I would assume, just enough so that it's not the easiest thing in the world to obtain a Super Charged Pokémon.

Since Blaziken got a Mega-evolution, I think it's safe to assume that all starters will get one, lest the balance between them will be disturb. If for example, Blaziken is the only one of the third gen starters to get a Mega-evolution, it will create a bias, most people choosing Blaziken as a starter.

To my knowledge there hasn't been anything anywhere that's stated there won't be Megas for every Pokemon or that it's only a limited selection of them. From the 6 we know of there is absolutely no pattern to the selection.

It seems crazy that there potentially could be one for every Pokemon but it's not ruled out yet as far as I'm aware.

To my knowledge there hasn't been anything anywhere that's stated there won't be Megas for every Pokemon or that it's only a limited selection of them. From the 6 we know of there is absolutely no pattern to the selection.

It seems crazy that there potentially could be one for every Pokemon but it's not ruled out yet as far as I'm aware.
It was ruled out, actually!
According to both serebii's & pokebeach's translations of the clear corocoro scans, Mega Evolutions are not available to every Pokemon

It was ruled out, actually!
According to both serebii's & pokebeach's translations of the clear corocoro scans, Mega Evolutions are not available to every Pokemon
I still don't see that on Serebii anywhere but I did find it on PB. You're right. That kind of sucks to be honest.

Anyone notice that they are giving human persona to the mega-volutions. Mega-Lucario with the jeans and dreadlocks looks like a biker dude. Mega-Absol is your emo kid. Mega-Ampharos looks like he is in a rock band. :)

EDIT: Oh and Mega-Mawile is the girl at the party with the big mouth. Lol

Last edited:
So little bit of news, the japanese website actually says thew following, according to translators on serebii;

"Pokemon which have undergone Mega Evolution return to their normal form when the battle ends, however they cannot return to their normal form during battle. Also, only one Pokemon may undergo Mega Evolution per battle."

So it's going to be a kind of championing thing, where you pick one poke to be your mega. Personally, I think this is pretty cool. Though I am worried. If not all pokemon can be megas, what if your favorite poke can't be your 'champion'? I'd love it if sandslash got a mega, but I doubt he will, for example.
Nidoking...:)

Ok so is it like evolving that it stays after battle or while holding an item it ''evolves'' and it ''devolves'' when no longer holding this item?

breh

強いだね
But, Nidoking is already very good...
You'd also be giving up dat free life orb =/ (Unless this was in fact unintended and gets fixed in XY)
It's pretty clearly unintended, but it's a glitch that makes the metagame a lot better, I feel, if only for a couple Pokemon. I hope it stays in the next generation.

Nidoking, even with its amazing coverage, neat typing, and fairly good SpA (with sheer force included), literally cannot keep up because of its inadequate speed. It needs some help, lol.

If it isn't an automatic transformation, then magic bounce on mega absol will be practically useless. They lose the use of an item, so i'm thinking it will almost definitely be an automatic transformation. Maybe it won't last the duration of the battle, we'll have to wait and see.
I want a water/steel mega blastoise/optimus prime. A megaZard with just more speed and spatt with solar power would be pretty badass.
With the power creep, I doubt nidoking will be viable in ou, he already is pretty outclassed.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hmm... perhaps I ought to go on holidays without Internet connection more often, as that seems to trigger CoroCoro leaks. Reading twenty-six new pages of what was a pretty quiet thread when I left is always a fun experience.

I must admit, Mega Evolutions were not a pleasant surprise. I especially dislike the use of the word "Evolution", and wished that the marketing department had used another word instead. But hey, nothing to do about it now. I don't particularly like it, but fact is that Mega Evolution, in concept as well as wording, is part of the Pokémon franchise now. Might as well accept that.
Yes, the Mega Evolutions do look over-designed. The old "rule of thumb" of Pokémon designs, that the design uses two colours plus black and/or white, seems to be trashed. Smooth lines and large, patternless surfaces also seem to be things of the past. At first glance, they also look overpowered. However, I think GameFreak will have a few aces up their sleeves preventing competitive battling from being centered around Megas.

Specifically, the "only one Mega Evolution per battle" thing, combined with the statement that other criteria than item holding have to be met in order to unleash the Mega Evolution. Perhaps you have to just have lost a Pokémon for the Mega Evolution to happen (like the boost criteria of the move Retaliate). Perhaps your team has to be "losing" (you have fewer useable Pokémon left than the opponent). I see a Mega evolved Pokémon more as a last ditch trump card, than an universally applicable strategy you can spam to win easily.

As for why they chose to reveal the Mega Evolutions they did... I think that was a carefully calculated move: Mewtwo is a poster child of Generation I. Those of us who played Gen. I definitely remember Mewtwo. Ampharos was a staple on Gen. II teams. Blaziken is very popular, the word of mouth would spread a lot quicker than if they had chosen Swampert or Sceptile instead (both of which I believe will get Mega Evolutions - through events, that is). Absol and Mawile both have a big fan following, and also signals that "no, we haven't forgot the unpopular ones". They are pretty obscure in the large picture, but were given attention along with the rest. It sends a message that not only fan favourites will be upgraded, we will be thrown curveballs as well.

By the way, the leak commonly referred to as "the Pokebeach rumour" mentioned TWO new formes for Mewtwo, the one we have not been shown was said to look more like Mew. I had a hard time believing this at first, but I think now that it's true, it's just that the leaker has assumed wrong: What he thought was a second Mewtwo forme might actually be Mega Mew.

Also, I agree with R_N, Sylveon is probably the only new 'mon related to old ones through normal evolution. GameFreak got a lot of flak for "messing with old designs" back in Gen. IV, and they might have taken that to heart. Mega Evolutions would be their new way of giving new relevance to old Pokémon, which might mean that we've seen the last cross-generational evolution in Sylveon, at least for some time to come. Here's hoping they will still remember the oft-requested ones such as Farfetch'd or Dunsparce.

Last, power creep. We all know it was bound to happen, it happens every generation. Though, I have enough confidence in GameFreak to believe they will spread the 'creep evenly, such that while Pokémon on average will be a bit stronger than before, their strength in relation to each other will be unaffected on a statistical level. Every generation, most Pokémon have been given tools that would have pushed them up a tier or two in the previous metagame. Yet Pokémon are still roughly as evenly distributed between the tiers as before, because the average power level rose as much as the individual power level. I wouldn't fear MegaBeedrill or MegaBeautifly and the rest of the NU losers sweeping OU any time soon, because their power level will still be lower than that of MegaQwilfish and MegaSlowking and other stuff in the new RU tier.

By the way, the leak commonly referred to as "the Pokebeach rumour" mentioned TWO new formes for Mewtwo, the one we have not been shown was said to look more like Mew. I had a hard time believing this at first, but I think now that it's true, it's just that the leaker has assumed wrong: What he thought was a second Mewtwo forme might actually be Mega Mew.
I don't think so. Why would he call it a forme of Mewtwo if it is a Mew that transform into a Mega Mew? It would make more sense to call it a new forme of Mew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)