1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lirg

Lirg

There's something I want to ask. Here in french speaking countries, the 6th gen will have several changes in name. For example, abilities which was called "capacités spéciales" in French will now be called "talent" or the move Night Shade which was called "Ténèbres" will be changed to the direct translation of the English name (Ombre Nocturne) to avoid mix-up with the type Dark (also called ténèbres in French).

Have you heard something similar for the other language (and in particular English) ? (Besides the name base stat, because it seems to be the same thing in every language)
  2. DinaIsha

DinaIsha

Mega Absol gets a boost in Attack and Speed. Thank god, it finally could get past that lackluckster Speed Stat.
  3. Siggu

Siggu

The Spanish version is also changing some names, either because of mistranslations (Counter from Contador to Contraataque; Return from Retroceso to Retribución; Slam from Portazo to Atizar; Wrap from Repetición to Constricción) or because of the higher character limit (e.g. Magic Bounce from Espejomágico to Espejo Mágico)

It seems the English version will not change anything... they could have changed at least Dark-type to Evil-type or something more fitting to the japanese name
  4. DinaIsha

DinaIsha

[​IMG]

So, what does everyone think about this wanna-be Pikachu? They could have gone with a different color and dropped the cheek circles, but no. It's like they intentionally wanted to copy the design.
    Lovedrive and b2j135 like this.
  5. newb

newb

^ I still couldn't warm up to Dedenne. It looks so generic like a crossbreed of RaichuXMarill..

Also people are hyping up Mega Mawile but it may end up as Archeops.. Remember how most people thought it would slay and will be overpower competitively but then GF gave it one of the most terrible ability..

So its a little too early to call Mega Mawile as the dragon slayer.. Sure it might kill them dragons and has monsterous attack with solid defenses but its HP and Speed stat might remain the same (Base 50) which I think is a huge hindrance to stay for a long run competitively.. It doesn't have any recovery move to render that problem..

Do we know for sure when is Mega transformation takes place? Before some people say it activates automatically first thing in battle but because of the caption on Mega Ampharos now I'm reading it activates halfway in battle??
  6. Lanturn314

Lanturn314

^is there anything that would make it impossible for that thing to be a branched Pika evo? The resemblance is uncanny, and I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the franchise mascot a new fairy-type evo just to showcase the fairy type and possibly another evolution method.

OR it could just be a generic electric rodent, which would also be very logical... in which case, I hate it
  7. DinaIsha

DinaIsha

We at least know that the items need to be held in order to force Mega Evolutions. This goes to say GameFreak really does follow the Metagame closely. They didn't make the items as usable from the bag, which isn't viable in competitive battles. Maybe the transformation consumes a moveslot? I hope not, because every Mega Pokemon learning a move like "Mega Transform" is quite a bit ridiculous.
  8. megayokim

megayokim

what did the site say about megaevo happening halfway and i really hope it happens first thing when youre in battle or else it will make competitive play alot harder
  9. Mulan15262

Mulan15262

It won't make competitive harder, just more complex.
  10. megayokim

megayokim

well compare a speed boost blaziken with a useless item to one with an item that does soemthing and theres a disadvantage already which will as you said make it more complex and annoying
  11. Mulan15262

Mulan15262

But, if you can get that item to activate and Blaziken to transform it Mega-Blaziken, it could turn the tide of the battle.
  12. newb

newb

I so hope not as well.. It's goin to be a little bit of a let down if wasting a move slot for the Mega transformation to activate..

The site didn't mention anything exactly it was just from Mega Ampharos definition that "changing its typing halfway in battle might throw off your opponent" or sumthin along the line..
  13. megayokim

megayokim

yeah i checked the site and its saying in the middle of battle for mega ampharos and i have no idea how theyll measure when its time to megaevolve maybe therell be like a meter or something or maybe itll happen straight away and the sites just wrong but it probablly isnt and im trying to be overly optimistic
  14. megayokim

megayokim

actually a meter is a little out of whack a move makes more sense like you guys said
  15. newb

newb

It might work as held berry item or something when your life points drop a certain percentage..
  16. DinaIsha

DinaIsha

Something like that, I guess. But not exactly that. All Mega Pokemon we saw were at full HP. It's improbable, but it'd be amazing on the part of GF if Mega Evolution occurred when none of the attacker's moves will 2OHKO or 3OHKO the opponent (Imagine Mawile facing Steelix with a bad movepool and then Mega Evolving to make up for the damage).
  17. Venom85

Venom85

i see full hp megaevolution in the kangaskan footage, i hope mega evo is apply before stealth rock etc...
  18. newb

newb

Maybe when they Mega evolve they regain their full HP..
  19. megayokim

megayokim

now that would be so fucking overpowered
  20. newb

newb

Lol they're mega...
  21. The Shadow Knight

The Shadow Knight

I really do think they just mean that they Megavolve upon being sent out. Which could very well be "in the middle of battle".
  22. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Community Contributor

The only instance I can think of is for a non-existent move, referred to in the Cinnabar Island gym in Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow and their remakes. There was a quiz to be answered, and one of the questions was "TM28 contains Tombstoner?". In the remakes, the move was called "Tombstony".
  23. Lirg

Lirg

Well, it already happened in the same case (but I didn't remember the name of the moves) but in a larger scale, we had also in Gen. V shiny pokémons named "chromatiques" (before we used the english word and a lot of French speakers still use the English word now)
  24. DinaIsha

DinaIsha

[​IMG]

I'm really beginning to love the 3D sprites and their actions. A huge leap from from BW and BW2.
    Count Bleck, Archiac and Gokuzbu like this.
  25. Wazzup360

Wazzup360

I love how a few days ago eveybody was hating in megas, and now most people seem to embrace it.

I also feel because of the power and the fact you can only have 1 per team, that megas are gonna feel like the ace of every team, and get a team more build around them. I like that concept.

@megawahile, let's not forget the 4x weakness it probs has. Atm there are not many fires in OU, but let's not forget that team flairs appearance is pretty much based on fire. I think we'll get a fire creep this gen.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)