1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on Discord and enjoy your stay!
  2. The moderators of this forum are DHR-107, Codraroll, and NoCheese.
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  4. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Assuming you're referring to the rumors, Mawile has no 4x weakness to fire
  2. youngjake93

youngjake93

You can get Fennekin, Torchic, Litleo and Fletchling all early game which is a lot of Fire types already.
    Plus Fire resists Fairy, but is not SE against Fairy.
  3. Charro

Charro

Torchic is going to be released in January. By that time everyone would have already finished the game's main story.
  4. GenXXZ

GenXXZ

Ummmm the distribution ends in January. You can get the Torchic at launch.
  5. DinaIsha

DinaIsha

And everyone will ditch the Kalos starters for the Speed Boost starter. Especially no love for Fennekin. I hope Fennekin's final evolution gets some OP ability to laugh at those who preferred Torchic.
  6. Charro

Charro

"it confirms that the Torchic distribution will run until the same day as in Japan, January 15th 2014 " being UNTIL the part that I missed. My bad.
  7. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

all you guys and your fire types

i'll be sitting right here all happy with my froakie <3
  8. IcyMan28

IcyMan28

God forbid we have a game without access to at least one fire/fighting starter haha.

In all seriousness, though, I think this may have me picking Chespin as my starter assuming the rumors are true. I like as much variety on my teams as possible and if Froakie becomes part fighting, that puts it out of the running because Torchic is my favorite starter and I will DEFINITELY be using it. We'll have to wait and see I guess.
    PME and Chaoswalker like this.
  9. Chaoswalker

Chaoswalker

Oh yes, the models are superb. I dare say that when in battle it's the best looking game on the 3Ds, and if not then at least a contender for the position.
  10. GenXXZ

GenXXZ

This is actually working out for me really well because I was actually planning on doing a mono-fire run on my first playthrough this generation.

Guess Mega Blaziken will make that a little bit easier.
  11. As I Burn

As I Burn

How about that MegaKhangashan ._.;;;;;
    Hits twice..
  12. Anartya

Anartya

Alright, now that its confirmed that you can have only one mega evolution per team, things are looking good. I'm warming up to the idea. But a part of me feels that if mega evolution is not instantaneous, but takes one turn, megablaziken might not be as OP as people thought, because swords dance would be a better use of that turn, given that regular blaziken already has speed boost. I'm sure there are probably better options for your megapokemon than megablaziken if you can only have one in your team, if mega evolving it takes one turn. But I think it would make more sense to megaevolve instantaneously coming into battle, or at least allow you to attack the same turn the pokemon mega evolves. Hoping to get more info on the resitrictions and conditions for mega evolving.

But I have to say, this is the first generation where I actually think the in-game 3D models look better than the Sugimori art, specifically MegaLucario.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  13. Yveltal

Yveltal

A part of me thinks that Mega evolutions are designed to be mid-to-late game sweepers as imagined by Game Freak. What we really need is test time to see how a team with a Choice Blaziken fares against a team with a MegaBlaziken, and so on.
  14. skitz0phrenic

skitz0phrenic

Well Speed Boost Blaziken is overpowered with or without his mega, so he's not a particularly good example, but I get you. If it did require a turn to go Mega it would be quite a hindrance.
  15. b2j135

b2j135

fixed, and yeah they are also WAY more detailed than any of the other 3D Pokemon console games
    the only think that I considered more detailed is Pokedex 3D Pro...speaking ofd which I HOPE that gets a major update to include all the new Pokemon and their Mega Evolutions!
  16. SMZ

SMZ

I am a BIG Blaziken fan (and I like the MegaEvo too), but I won't use the MegaEvo in the game's main story, simply because I want to try new stuff and not being OP, but I'd probably use it post-game.
  17. Puma Italia

Puma Italia

It's nice that they'll be giving away Torchic, but for people who were planning on picking Fennekin like myself it sucks. Oh well, I guess I will be forced to challenge myself a bit more instead of breezing through with a Mega Evolution.
  18. As I Burn

As I Burn

I think the Mega-EVOs will be one of two things. Activated at the End Phase, like a Toxic Orb, or It will act like a turn where you have to hit evolve.

Most likely the first one. Having 1 mega per team seems pretty balanced. But with the mega stone does this mean smogon will begin doing complex bans?

I already know the answer to this: We will have to wait and see. It seems as if GameFreak is less focused on new pokemon and more focused on upgrading past pokemons.

I'm more concerned with the properties of Stealth Rock, and Rapid Spin.
  19. Anartya

Anartya

If there is no cross-compatibility and no stealth rock TM or move tutor, that strategy will diminish. Gamefreak doesn't consider hazards OP because doubles are the standard format in the competitive scene, where battles don't last very long. Gamefreak hates stalling strategies. If you look at the metagame from gsc, you can see that with each generation the metagame gets even more offensive. I'm pretty sure Mega evolutions are not meant to be giant walls of stall either. But hey, I want gamefreak to prove me wrong and introduce Megablissey, with even higher defenses than eviolite chansey. If mega evolution does take one turn, stalling pokemon would be better suited, than sweepers to use the mechanic.

But I think your idea might be it, in that it evolves at the end phase. That makes much more sense than wasting a whole turn.
  20. Infernis

Infernis

Just some quotes from the official website:
    Speed based critical chances return, or just a poorly worded way of saying that Absol needed some more speed?

Iron head, eh? If it's the same base attack stat, well, I'm not too worried.

252+ Atk Choice Band Pure Power Medicham Hi Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Shelgon: 207-244 (61.97 - 73.05%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Mawile Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Shelgon: 157-186 (47 - 55.68%) -- 75% chance to 2HKO

Such is the fate of good 'mons with bad moves.

Mewtwo: King of the playground since forever. On the other hand, even 255 base SpA doesn't make it the hardest hitting 'mon on turn 1 in Ubers.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey in rain: 393-463 (60.27 - 71.01%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Choice Specs Mewtwo Psychic vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Blissey: 240-283 (36.8 - 43.4%) -- 99.76% chance to 3HKO

Ignoring that Mewtwo could just use Psystrike and obliterate said Blissey.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 904-1065 (138.65 - 163.34%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    Mario With Lasers and b2j135 like this.
  21. GenXXZ

GenXXZ

I actually think it might be the ladder. This way, if you have multiple Pokemon holding a megastone on your team, you can freely choose which mega form to utilize rather than being forced into it in the manner of the Toxic/Flame orb.

Heck, for all we know they could change instantly upon entering the battle. That's not completely ruled out yet.
  22. DeathIncarnate501

DeathIncarnate501

That's what I figured they were based off of
  23. GenXXZ

GenXXZ

Someethinnnggggggg tells me that Mawile's main STAB move won't be Iron Head. It'll probably be some unreleased physical fairy attack, hopefully with a high base power.

Mawile might pack Iron Head though if Fairy does end up being weak to Steel offensively.
  24. Anartya

Anartya

Nice calculations. Really shows how big of a difference the base power of a move plays. No matter how high the attack, its really the base power of the move that makes the bigger difference. But still no doubt, megamawile is strong. But you never know, there will definitely be new higher bp moves, or old move revamps.
  25. DeathIncarnate501

DeathIncarnate501

Because that's stupid. Just like some people have natural talent, some Pokemon are naturally better in their stats
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)