Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
No I dont think we know for sure.
People were trying to guess from the sound effect and the fact that it did a ton of damage.
I'll see if I can find a video.

EDIT:
It cut away to a different shot when HP was yellow and falling.
But there's also a HUGE level imbalance it seems so much can't be gleaned.
It's mostly a hunch that Glow Punch is the real Fire/Punch and dual-typed moves will work that way.
what makes you keep thinking therell be dual type moves is it a rumor or is it backed up by something(and do not say glow punch is what backs the idea up)

I'm believing the Pokebeach rumors since most aspects have come true.
So assuming dual-typed moves exist, they might work the way I've proposed and Glow Punch might be one of the few such attacks.
Obviously, nothing is guaranteed at this point since GF is still being stingy with info just a few months from release.

I'm believing the Pokebeach rumors since most aspects have come true.
So assuming dual-typed moves exist, they might work the way I've proposed and Glow Punch might be one of the few such attacks.
Obviously, nothing is guaranteed at this point since GF is still being stingy with info just a few months from release.
ah ok if its true then game freaks taking tins of risks which would be pretty cool

Thinking about one aspect of the basically reliable Pokebeach rumors that still isn't clear: dual typed moves.I'm wondering if they'll work like Psyshock or Psystrike.
There was an early rumor that Clauncher could learn a water-type move (Named Blister Gun or something) that will also hit Flying and Water for SE damage (Effectively a Water type move, that also does Electric type damage). It's never been proved, though.

This is how I think it works:

Scenario 1: Clauncher uses Blister Gun on Houndour. It will do the usual Water-type damage.

Scenario 2: Clauncher uses Blister Gun on Dewott. Instead of Dewott resisting the attack, it will do SE Electric-type damage (Whether it will gain STAB is debatable).

Scenario 3: Clauncher uses Blister Gun on Pikachu. Instead of doing a resisted Electric type damage, it will do Water type damage.

Scenario 4: Clauncher uses Blister Gun on Raticate. It will do Water type damage.

(So basically whatever type, water or electric, does the most damage will be taken into effect).

If this in fact becomes true, Pokemon that get dual-type moves will gain instant utility with more coverage and saving a moveslot.

Last edited:
There was an early rumor that Clauncher could learn a water-type move (Named Blister Gun or something) that will also hit Flying and Water for SE damage (Effectively a Water type move, that also does Electric type damage). It's never been proved, but the mechanic is very plausible.

Scenario 1: Clauncher uses Blister Gun on Houndour. It will do the usual Water-type damage.

Scenario 2: Clauncher uses Blister Gun on Dewott. Instead of Dewott resisting the attack, it will do SE Electric-type damage (Whether it will gain STAB is debatable).

Scenario 3: Clauncher uses Blister Gun on Pikachu. Instead of doing a resisted Electric type damage, it will do Water type damage.

Scenario 4: Clauncher uses Blister Gun on Raticate. It will do Water type damage.

(So basically whatever type, water or electric, does the most damage will be taken into effect).

If this in fact becomes true, the Pokemon that get dual-type moves will have instant utility with more coverage and saving a moveslot.
If the theory about dual type attacks is true, then GF is taking a verrrry big risk by introducing this in the same gen where they are introducing the megaevos, which not all people like.

I wonder if Embargo will block mega evolution? If so, it might actually start having a place as a countermeasure against teams relying on setting up for a mega sweep.
If embargo does block mega evolution then sableye would become so OP.

Thinking about one aspect of the basically reliable Pokebeach rumors that still isn't clear: dual typed moves.I'm wondering if they'll work like Psyshock or Psystrike. Just as those moves are, in a sense, both physical and special, some moves could show different typings to the user and target. So for the purpose of application of STAB or triggering of Gems or Adaptability they could have one type but hit with different typed damage.

Glow Punch.
That mysterious move Fennekin used against Litleo in a previous video.
The animation looks like a firey punch but it did a real number on Fire/Normal Litleo who would've resisted a Fire attack.
Maybe the answer is that it's a Fire attack to Fennekin and is therefore STAB boosted but also connects Litleo as an SE Fighting attack.
Hmmm...

If Scald were retconned as such a move Water types would gain a STAB move that deals Fire damage.
Grass types wither in fear!
I still think Glow Punch is a Psychic attack that does Fighting-type damage

@SSJ: Sableye would need to be on the field already in order to negate it, it would have to predict perfectly since he might as well be attacked and even after all that we don't even know Megavolution's priority so it could have +7 priority and laugh in Sableye's face, I think Sableye would be better using WoW against the likes of MLucario and MMawile anyway

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
For the millionth time: Nobody seems to consider the possibility of dual-type moves dealing different damage in separate hits. Let's take the rumoured "Blister gun" example from above:

Clauncher used Blister Gun! (on, say, Dewott)
Dewott was hit by a blob of water! (Dewott is hit by Water type damage)
It's not very effective...
Dewott was stunned by the charge!
(Dewott is hit by Electric type damage)
It's Super-effective!

Effectively, the move would be identical to two weak moves of different types performed after another in the same turn. Easy to understand what is going on, (relatively) easy to program, damage calculation stays uncomplicated. To me, this seems to be the best way to implement dual-type attacks.

Clauncher used Blister Gun! (on, say, Dewott)
Dewott was hit by a blob of water! (Dewott is hit by Water type damage)
It's not very effective...
Dewott was stunned by the charge!
(Dewott is hit by Electric type damage)
It's Super-effective!
Not quite getting this. So the move just changes types turn by turn? And when does "stunned by the charge" happen? The same turn as "It's not very effective" or the next turn?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not quite getting this. So the move just changes types turn by turn? And when does "stunned by the charge" happen? The same turn as "It's not very effective" or the next turn?
The same turn, immediately afterwards. We already have moves such as Double Kick or Bonemerang, which hit twice in one turn. The hits are, for the time being, of the same type and power, but it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to change this. Heck, Triple Kick already has multiple hits of different power.

I consider the possibility but I don't see how that is less complicated that just making one attack do damage of another type, it's about the same as Psyshock, but instead of doing damage using your another defense you're doing damage of another type, it's easier to understand (and calculate) that your multi-hit move that changes typing mid move, it also allows for more move to be retconned as dual type moves (ex. Scald)

I'm gathering at the moment from early impressions that speed wise Froakie > Chespin > Fennekin, Fennekin is looking to shape up as a high s.atk tankish fire type.

But if you're doing damage of another type (say, my Fire Punch is a Fighting attack that does Fire damage) how does that make it a dual type attack? And before you say STAB, it's basically a Fire attack that also gets a power boost when Fighting types use it. If anything else uses it then it's in no way a dual type attack. And this doesn't come off as confusing to you?
The "Always does damage of one type but gives STAB of the other" model would confuse younger players. The "Is affected by both type effectivenesses", "Does whatever type would be more effective" and the "Does two attacks" methods are easier for kids to understand and are also actual dual type attacks.

I'm thinking it'll just be a move that does the damage of a type different from its listed type, but will still be treated as the listed type for stab and boosts. Like Glow Punch would be a Psychic-type move that does Fighting-type damage but gets Psychic STAB.

In what way is that a Psychic move? It's a Fighting move that's stronger when Psychic Pokemon use it.
This seems pointless to ask because Psyshock/strike could be questioned in the same fashion:
A) Physical move that's stronger when High SpA Pokemon use it
B) Special move that deals physical damage

No matter how it is presented, it does what it does, and that's what matters.

In what way is that a Psychic move? It's a Fighting move that's stronger when Psychic Pokemon use it.
It matters because if Glow Punch is a Psychic type move that does Fighting type damage, Alakazam can perhaps hit Dark types with something not named Focus Blast. For instance, if there's a Grass type move that does Bug type damage, Lilligant will be more than happy to have it. Dual-types means more distribution (Hopefully).

PJ playing the demo, if anyone's interested. Exeggutor was found in the wild (Having Hypnosis and Stomp), which is weird. But it's probably a demo-only thing. I do wonder what will happen if you ride a Skiddo or Gogoat into the tall grass.

Last edited:
I take that back when I said the event Torchic will always have fixed 31 IVs, but that's not the case. Compare the official screenshot from X/Y,

compared to this check of IVs from Psypoke:

and the IVs are not exact; they're in a range of IVs assuming Adamant nature.

Dual-types means more distribution (Hopefully).
You know what needs more distribution?
Wealth.

Anywho, I started to really like MegaAmpharos after taking the time to think about the surplus of gems on its body, and it began to remind me more and more of Fanglongmon.

In my mind, Ampaharos' MEvo is partially derived from the Yellow dragon of Chinese myth. It was a creature who represented the changing of seasons and the earth. I also like to think that it adds up because Ampharos gains the Dragon type, which is essentially the attribute of mysticism, and his new wispy fur looks like a repurposed chariot of the gods (many deities have been depicted riding on clouds), so Ampharos' implied enlightened boost in power may be a sign of repurposed origin.

I just hope that dual typed attack increase diversity instead of straight up outclassing/removing options.
Scald being less powerful than Surf, but with a 30% burn gives both moves a niche. Even though Scald is usually better, many choice item users opt for the extra power.
If Scald had 100 base power AND a chance to burn, then that would fall into the removing diversity category since Surf would be useless. Likewise, if they change Scald to a dual typed attack, then they are removing a defensive water option to basically outclass HP Fire. It would be backwards progress in terms of variety :/
We'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)