Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think that the only way to keep things balanced with Dual Type Attacks is to NOT have STAB. They would trade power for utility, and thus keep the variety some people keep complaining would be taken away with their introduction.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The two pieces of information about Fairy that have been revealed so far are (1) it is super-effective against Dragon and (2) it is resisted by Fire.

When was the resisted by fire "officially" revealed?
I believe it's Pokebeach, which isn't "official" per se, but because other rumors sourced from there have been confirmed as we've gotten more information, it's close enough to official to be assumed true at this point.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Aside from that, all major Pokémon news sites have confirmed that Fire Pokémon resisted Fairy attacks in the Japan game show demo.

Aside from that, all major Pokémon news sites have confirmed that Fire Pokémon resisted Fairy attacks in the Japan game show demo.
Oh...my apologies for not having paid attention to the update on Serebii's Friday post :/

Last edited:
I agree, the "Does one type of damage but gets stab as if it's another type" defy the meaning of stab. I mentioned a while back that this would effectively be called DTAB which is stupid. Young players don't even know what stab means and to tell them that this is dual type attack will confuse them. Heck, except for rare circumstances, the game does not even acknowledge stab exist, what makes you guys think they will acknowledge dtab exist?
Other thing the games tend not to acknowledge is the fact 'Hitting itself in confusion' is a 40 BP typeless physical attack... or the fact typeless attacks (Pre-Gen V Future Sight and Doom Desire) exist at all

I remember that in Worms World Party there was a 'Wormaopedia' that gave players a concise explanation on how each weapon or utility worked, which was not done anywhere else. Something like that (Move/Ability behaviour, chances of happening, etc.) would totally work in Pokémon games. What about it being a gift for filling the National Pokédex?

I actually agree with a previous post that suggested a dual-type attack (used by Clauncher) affects an opponent Pokemon with the "part" of the attack that most affects it (either the water, or the charge for such an electric-water dual-type move) or both parts if the opponent pokemon takes neutral damage from either, but...

Just as @Siggu recognized that Pre-Gen V Future Sight and Doom Desire are Psychic and Steel (respectively) dealing typeless damaged (making them dual-type moves to some extent, but not in the same way being debated), the Gen VI suggested dual-type moves will not, by any way, have STAB factored into the final damage output...obviously not confirmed, but this is how I see the mechanics of such moves working.

Otherwise, it just gets messier than it already would be by this reasoning...hope this made sense...

Last edited:
I remember that in Worms World Party there was a 'Wormaopedia' that gave players a concise explanation on how each weapon or utility worked, which was not done anywhere else. Something like that (Move/Ability behaviour, chances of happening, etc.) would totally work in Pokémon games. What about it being a gift for filling the National Pokédex?
Isn't that what Smogon's database is for? :p Jk I agree that it would be useful to have something accessible in-game, but I have doubts in its implementation for how large it may be (not necessarily regarding data consumption, but organization and location for access in-game). For instance, where would you put it so it looks cleanest? The menu screen? Relegated to a key item in your bag? The former is more likely, but just throwing options out there...

the Gen VI suggested dual-type moves will not, by any way, have STAB factored into the final damage output
Well, that's pretty... dumb. Why have Glow Punch be a fire/psychic type attack that deals fighting damage if they're not going to get stab? In that case, they may as well give Fenniken aura-sphere , or some other new fighting attack, and call it a day. Dual-type attacks would be pointless otherwise.

Well, that's pretty... dumb. Why have Glow Punch be a fire/psychic type attack that deals fighting damage if they're not going to get stab? In that case, they may as well give Fenniken aura-sphere , or some other new fighting attack, and call it a day. Dual-type attacks would be pointless otherwise.
Because I don't think it will be a "one-way" thing, but that the attack itself has two types, not a one-type attack that deals a different type of damage. Otherwise it would be as @Jimmyftw said (as quoted by @Siggu )...or so I'm reading...I thought we were defining "Dual-Type moves."

Last edited:

OST Trainer Battle Music. Gonna be hearing a lot of this very soon.

And yeah, someone should use Fairy wind on Exeggutor. Then again, at this point, there's no reason to disbelieve in WPM's source.

OST Trainer Battle Music. Gonna be hearing a lot of this very soon.

And yeah, someone should use Fairy wind on Exeggutor. Then again, at this point, there's no reason to disbelieve in WPM's source.
This is my new jam.
And someone should Fairy Wind Exeggutor, just to make 100% sure

lol, you guys are struggling to make this complicated.
It's no more so than Psyshock, Psytrike or Foul Play.

Here is Psyshock's ingame description:
"The user materializes an odd psychic wave to attack the target. This attack does physical damage."
It's listed as a Special Attack so anyone with minimal knowledge of game mechanics will let pokemon with high SpA use it.

Here is a hypothetical Glow Punch description:
"The foe is punched with a flaming fist. This attack does Fighting type damage."
Simple. It'd be listed as a Fire attack so ahyone with knowledge of STAB would expect it to be boosted when used by Fire types.

The term 'dual typed moves' is not official as far as we know.
It was a description by the leaker of a gameplay mechanic that s/he saw.
Granted, I'm not saying that what's being here proposed is what it will be. It's just what I think.
OTOH, the suggestion that it would be this mindbending, terribly confusing thing doesn't compute.
You are basically saying that dual type attacks have different type attack bonus (DTAB) which is possible, but unlikely. The reasoning is because the words "dual type" means two types not one type.

Your interpretation of dual type attack does involve two different types, however the key thing here is that not both types are doing damage, hence contradicting "dual type attack." For example, the argument: "Glow Punch being part Fire type because when Fire type Pokemon use it, it is stronger" is only "dual" for said Fire type Pokemon. If a Water type, for example, use Glow Punch, it's no longer is a dual type attack, see the problem here?

Psystrike/Psyshock are a different kind of mechanic that works universally with all Pokemon. It works similarly, no matter which Pokemon uses it, calculating the damage base on the user's SpA and the target's Def.

Dual type mechanic will probably be clear up next month, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Is this legit? How did someone rip the OST already?
Apparently so. It sounds just like the music that plays when fighting Professy in the demo. The other tracks that this person uploaded were also used in the demo
As to how they got the soundtrack, hackers will be hackers.

Reactions: PME
You are basically saying that dual type attacks have different type attack bonus (DTAB) which is possible, but unlikely. The reasoning is because the words "dual type" means two types not one type.

Your interpretation of dual type attack does involve two different types, however the key thing here is that not both types are doing damage, hence contradicting "dual type attack." For example, the argument: "Glow Punch being part Fire type because when Fire type Pokemon use it, it is stronger" is only "dual" for said Fire type Pokemon. If a Water type, for example, use Glow Punch, it's no longer is a dual type attack, see the problem here?

Psystrike/Psyshock are a different kind of mechanic that works universally with all Pokemon. It works similarly, no matter which Pokemon uses it, calculating the damage base on the user's SpA and the target's Def.

Dual type mechanic will probably be clear up next month, so we'll just have to wait and see.
The attack is the move and there would be two types associated with it.
A dual-type Glow Punch would work exactly the same for all Pokemon.
If the user is Fire type it'd be boosted because the move would have an orange box with the word FIRE in it.
This is the way STAB has worked from the beginning and NOTHING would have changed.
Then every single Pokemon that uses it, without exception, would do Fighting type damage just as the desc. would say.
I'm just wondering if I'm not being clear about what I'm talking about.
Because I don't understand what part of that is so complicated.
Hidden Power and Curse are far more variable and they exist!

Also, I don't think it makes sense to over-analyse the term dual type attack because GF didn't come out and say it.
Somebody saw the game being played and reported that some attacks (moves!!) seem to have two types.
I would probably say the same thing if I saw a move declared as Fire type hitting Normal-type Pokemon SE while the type effectiveness chart hadn't changed.
Anyway, I agree that it doesn't make sense to go back and forth forever about a hypothesis.
(I do think your counterarguments are weak though :p I can accept that it might not turn out the way I think just not for the reasons you're advancing.)
We'll find out in a few months.

Last edited:
By the uploader of the video:
it was uploaded on a japanese site, my guess is someone sneaked an audio cable into the gameshow and recording this on an iphone or something.
But I think you can hear it in some of the Official videos, if you want to be sure.
The wild battle music that he uploaded came from a battle with a Pikachu. it has all the extra sound bits in it that normally occur during battle before the first move is selected.
And it sounds exactly like the music in the demo, soooooooo

Sorry if this is out of context/wrong section,i just joined the forums,but i wondered what you thought about that picture with different graphics at the end of this
I hope its a Colosseum/XD sequel :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)