1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMZ

SMZ

Well if dual-typed moves are true, then according to this "inside source" there won't be many of them.

How they work is simple in principle, but you have to get used to it and add more depth and variable to the type chart.

Fire/Ground (Earth Power?) would deal only Fire on Flying type.
    Steel/Electric (Magnet Bomb?) would deal neutral damage to a Water type.
    Fire/Flying (Heat Wave?) against a Dry Skin Paras in Sun is bit tricky, but with a quick calc we can get: ( x4 (fire) + x4 (flying) ) x 1.5(fire under sun) x 1.25 (dry skin) = a whopping x15 damage. That'd make Heat Wave's power after SE calc and dual stab factored (Moltres, Charizard, Ho-oh) = 100 * (1. + 1.5) * 15 = 4500 WOAH.

EDIT: I realize I'm making assumptions here, but I think this is the way it'd work if it was introduced.
    EDIT 2: I think dual-stab would be 1.5*1.5 instead of 1.5 + 1.5 making the damage 3375. still high XD.
    EDIT 3: yeah on second thought Fire/Ground would do NO damage on flying types even with fire as one of the types like Katakiri said.
  2. Katakiri

Katakiri Listen, Brendan...
    is a Pokemon Researcher

Well IF dual-types are a things, and that's a BIG if, I could see it working like Pokemon types. If the Pokemon is immune to either of the attack types, the entire attack fails. So, going off your example, Pokemon with Levitate would still be immune to Earth Power but a grounded Pokemon with Flash Fire would be immune to Earth Power as well and get a boost from it.

I really, really doubt GF would make attacks any more complex than they are now tho.
  3. Yveltal

Yveltal

Did everyone see that Parting shot reduces both of the defending Pokemon's attack stats? Are there any opinions on it's utility?
  4. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

That wasn't even close to 45 degrees.
  5. Yveltal

Yveltal

Yes it was. I see it as, there was a twitch in the joy pad and the player moved one tile diagonally before continuing on by holding the joy pad down as the charcter ran down the bend in the street, similar to how you only need to hold left to make your character run through the big access street in Castelia City.
  6. SMZ

SMZ

After closer inspection of the mysterious dex Pokemon. It does NOT look like Pidgey OR Hariyama for me. Still wouldn't rule out older Pokemon, but these two do not IMO. Look at the colors and shape.
  7. Champion Steve

Champion Steve

Quite a few on the last couple of pages. Some people were of the opinion that it could be broken. Personally, I like it. I mean it could make Stall teams much more proactive. Parting Remark into an Intimidate, anyone?
  8. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

The direction of his face certainly doesn't match that idea. But if the tiles were tiny, that could work for his movement path I guess, since we don't see him move for very long after the turn. But then they wouldn't match the size of the grass patches. Besides, surely GF sees a gridded movement system would be pointless and hated in a 3D game.

Edit: Princess of Johto, you're not quite following us...
  9. PoJ

PoJ

Even so, these games are going to be on the 3DS. There's no reason not to get rid of the grid system with the 3DS's circle pad around. Serebii.net also noticed the diagonal movement!

This is a good thing Imo :)
  10. BlazeStar

BlazeStar

11. PoJ

PoJ

I think the one in the forest is a trainer, a Lass to be specific. Her hair is in a ponytail as opposed to the heroine's hair being down. But I wouldn't be surprised if we do run into the opposite hero at some point in the game!

Edit: Ohhh the other female in the forest is who you're talking about. I'm not sure then, that's a good observation!
  12. Katakiri

is a Pokemon Researcher

As long as shit like Landorus-T doesn't get it, we're fine. Assuming it's a Dark-type move that as some Fighting-type distribution, (playing off the bad sportsmanship theme of the move) we should be alright since I can guarantee that the Justice League of Fighting-types over 85 Base Speed won't get it. It'll mostly be Dark-types doing the switching.

Best case scenario: Specs Zoroark and Weavile can join in on the U-Turn fun.

Worst case scenario: Gengar gets it. Yeah. Imagine THAT shit. And the worst part is that the move completely fits Gengar aesthetically...and you thought Disable was annoying.
  13. Yveltal

Yveltal

Yes, it does. The camera moves in front of him to keep his face as close to front-and-center as it can. The tiles only have to be big enough to give them ample space around their feet, and I feel the space for each tile was shown when the girl was walking past the car. The grass that was modeled expands outside of the square, just like like it did in BW, so the tile that holds the patch is probably the size of the dark green part in the middle of each patch. Finally, I don't think that GF would see that YOU don't see the utility in a grid-based movement system, but that kind of commentary isn't going to change anyone's opinions.
  14. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Alrighty. We'll see who ends up being right. And don't kid yourself, nobody wants grid movement in x/y. Not even you. Search your heart, you know this to be true...

And BlazeStar, nice find. That basically confirms the other gender option will be a character, and the hat can be taken off.
  15. Katakiri

is a Pokemon Researcher

No grid means no ice puzzle!
    Pokemon XY: 1/10. Would not play.

Also Colosseum/XD's movement system was garbage btw. Grid-less Pokemon is horrible. I'm much more up for this Animal Crossing-style of play. For year's I've just wanted to run in a circle. Not a square. A Circle. No major gameplay changes. Just a circle. Finally, my dreams are coming true!
  16. BlazeStar

BlazeStar

Yep, looking at it carefully everything matches up. The girl that's by herself away from the Hero and the 2 other girls in this picture is certainly the Heroine:

http://www.pokemonxy.com/_ui/img/_en/screenshots/may_supp_p3_5.jpg
  17. Lightning Tiger

Lightning Tiger

Lava Plume, Eruption, and Magma Storm were born to be dual Fire/Ground type moves
  18. CountBleck

CountBleck

I'm thinking maybe "dual typed moves" Might be a multi-hit move and each hit is calculated as a different type? So Rock/Ground attack would completely miss a flying type for half of the attack but the other hit would do double damage. Just thinking aloud here...
  19. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

o_O You can have ice puzzles without moving in a grid. Look at Zelda.

I had no problem with colosseum/xd's movement, and free movement doesn't automatically mean theirs anyway.

It sounds like you'd rather run in an octagon than a circle...
  20. Yveltal

Yveltal

I understand that you like to perform all manner of mental excercises to convince yourself so heavily that the things you want are factual, but that doesn't give you the right to downplay everyone elses thoughts that don't match up with yours. Your movie reference is also too weak to be taken seriously, and if you really thought that it would be worth waiting to see how this one mechanic would play out in-game, then what was the point of looking to point out where my opinion is invalidated? From my point of view, the addition/lack of freeform movement is unlikely to effect the thrill of playing a Pokemon game. If it is grid-based, then they're really good at using camera tricks to make the movement look more natural, and if it was freeform, then the camera probably wouldn't follow the character so religiously, but slow in to the front/back side of the character like it does in most 3D console games.
    I don't really care what they do, but for now it looks to be a certain way to me, and unlike you, I'm not pushing my thoughts on anyone unless the reader wishes to believe I'm trying to enforce something. That is all.
  21. BlazeStar

BlazeStar

Although Dual-type moves are still a rumor and haven't officially been confirmed(Although everything that source to Pokebeach said was true so far), I still can't help but to think how scary Fire Punch will become to my favorite Pokemon of 5th gen, Ferrothorn.
    Imagine if it's now Fire and Fighting?
    The whole metagame will change...
  22. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Holy fuck. Here's a social lesson for you: when sombody says something in an absolute way (ie "nobody wants a grid movement system"), that doesn't actually mean they think it's a fact. And it certainly doesn't mean they are trying to make everyone agree with them. Perhaps I should have pointed that out to you a long time ago. It would have avoided many off-topic arguments with you that make the mods angry.
  23. skitz0phrenic

skitz0phrenic

I'm sorry I'm just not on board with dual-type moves existing at all. I don't care who said what and was right so far. It's gonna take something more substantial than that for me to be reeled in. Same with the ridiculous new type claims.
  24. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

THAT'S YOU

THAT IS EXACTLY YOU

e: well really any of you but still
    when you write a long post saying someone else is going through mental gymnastics to say they're right maybe look in the mirror because you're probably doing it too
  25. Garagara

Garagara

Back to that uber enlarged pic of the new dex, I really don't think it could be hariyama. While it might look like his hand a little, that means the rest of his sprite would have to be much too big, and off centered in the tile it's in
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)