1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skitz0phrenic

skitz0phrenic

I'm sorry I'm just not on board with dual-type moves existing at all. I don't care who said what and was right so far. It's gonna take something more substantial than that for me to be reeled in. Same with the ridiculous new type claims.
  2. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

THAT'S YOU

THAT IS EXACTLY YOU

e: well really any of you but still
    when you write a long post saying someone else is going through mental gymnastics to say they're right maybe look in the mirror because you're probably doing it too
  3. Garagara

Garagara

Back to that uber enlarged pic of the new dex, I really don't think it could be hariyama. While it might look like his hand a little, that means the rest of his sprite would have to be much too big, and off centered in the tile it's in
  4. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It also still looks kind of green to me compared to the zigzagoon's tan.
  5. b2j135

b2j135

I don't think it's Pidgey...maybe another bird? Spearow?
  6. shockwave527

shockwave527

Sorry I haven't been on the thread much, I've been afraid to post here as I don't know what speculation is actually allowed to post. But since I'm here, could someone give me a quick overview of what on the new stuff has been discussed, and maybe tell me what said below has already been discussed? I don't want to repeat anything, but I have noticed these few things (tell me what's been said):

1. The region seems to have 15 or more towns, and, since the region is supposed to be HUGE, and whereas Unova was primarily cities, could this mean we have 10 or 12 gyms in this region?
    2. The land seems to be dominated with rivers, and I don't think we've ever dealt with rivers much before. Thoughts on that?
    3. There was a guy (who's probably been mentioned) who said the names of the new pokemon on PokeBeach and turned out to be write. Have people talked about his other rumors and how likely they are, or has this not been brought up? (Rumors were fairy type exists along with retype of mawile and effectiveness, dual-type moves, levitate and fly only battles, starter final evos being a NON-reverse type triangle, mewtwo having more forms, and an easier way to deal with and check EVs)
    4. In one of the pictures, the character seems to be moving diagonally
    5. The two new moves and how they may effect the metagame (not sure if this belongs in the thread)
    6. Definitions of the starters in regards to anything related to evolutions
    7. I totally called that Gogoat would still be called Gogoat in english
    8. Zigzagoon is now confirmed to be in the game (did ANYONE else notice this?)

Yveltal? Naru?
    I really want to get back into the thread.

EDIT:
    On dual-type, a way I could see them doing it that wouldn't break things would be:
    Take a 60 power move called burning bolt, fire/electric, attacked by a fire type onto a water type pokemon
    It would do 30 power super effective non-STAB damage + 30 power not very effective STAB damage (half of one attack, half of another)
    No way it could be broken, if anything it would be a hinderance. Only gives a chance for greater coverage but less damage on some things.
  7. Rotom-S w/balloon

Rotom-S w/balloon

Dual-type moves just seem kind of messy to me. I guess they could make it so that if only one of the types is super effective, it gets a 50% boost rather than a 100% boost. Similarly, if only one of the types is not very effective, it would result in a 25% reduction rather than a 50% reduction. If the two types conflict in effectiveness, it would probably just even out. When paired with dual-typings, this creates a dizzying array of possibilities.

An alternative, suggested by Count Bleck, is that moves could have multiple hits, with each hit having a different type. For example, Eruption might have a fire attack followed by a rock or ground attack. In this case, the first attack might even be physical, while the second is special. This seems plausible, but I doubt that such moves would be terribly practical.

And in regard to the arguing, I have only this to say. Pokemon is clearly a game designed for sophisticated and intelligent men and women with adult tastes. I am sure that Game Freak, whose opinions we all hold so dearly in our hearts, would expect that its target audience be capable of conducting civil discourse on the matter of their Pocket Monsters.
  8. shockwave527

shockwave527

Also, anyone else getting a feeling the top right cloudy area is victory road? Or the top middle of the star?

Or maybe they'll do something totally different. Maybe the tower at the middle of Lumiose City is "victory road." You wouldn't get to be in there until you have all the badges, and then you go up a tower, which would be victory road, only to arrive at the top where the elite four reside, watching over the city, and then you can fly there any time.

I do think this is very unlikely and baseless speculation (so maybe doesn't belong here), but it's something I've always wanted them to do. No more long caves, and something actually in an interesting, accessible place that doesn't set the strongest trainers far away from everyone else, and would allow the elite to have some more integration into the story.
  9. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

Well, the north still looks like the starting town to me. Also, I just noticed there's an illusion of half of a pokeball in that town.

The cloudy area and the castle are definitely significant (maybe one for the evil team, and one for the elite four).

And shockwave, 1, 2, and 6 you listed haven't really been discussed. Basically everything else has been though.
  10. RabidChipmunk

RabidChipmunk

My first thought was Hariyama, but Mareep is probably more likely.
  11. BlazeStar

BlazeStar

If some moves get redone for Dual-typing, shouldn't Scald be Water/Fire?

I can only imagine how that would benefit a few Pokemon and change the outcome of some battles.
  12. BdB4445

BdB4445

That sounds like an extreme mess if past generation moves will end up being dual-type moves.

I had ideas in my head on how they could work. But as I keep thinking about it, I get more lost on the subject; and my ideas fall apart.

But on that note, I would love to see infernape use fire punch on Ferrothorn
  13. Count Bleck

Count Bleck

Not sure this is the right place for this, but apparently Hiro says the Pokebeach source has mainly false info.

I'd link things(I'm on a 3DS right now, cant use computer currently), but I can say its on the Bulbapedia's Real or Not Real thread, near the bottom, page 43.

Rumor wars in 3...2...
  14. Box

Box

It OHKOs anyway what are you talking about.

Dual type moves sound incredibly fucking stupid and are probably fake
  15. Narutendo3

Narutendo3

I personally consider Hiro to be reliable as things currently stand. So his wording of "mainly false" makes sense to me (since some of it's been true) and bolsters my hope for no dual type moves.
  16. BdB4445

BdB4445

not much to talk about really, it was a simple joke. Btw rain teams are popular.

no reason to be a d-bag.

And I don't like the idea of dual-type moves either. Dual-typing on pokemon works well enough on its own.
  17. Satisfaction

Satisfaction

I think one idea that'd be simple enough to do would be a move that gets stab on one type but is treated as another, like a fighting type getting stab on fire punch but having it hit as a regular fire type attack
  18. jynx

jynx

They might change the multiplication modifier for SE moves though
    (Although it probably is still a mess-- at least difficult for us to calculate)

But if we only have Dual typed moves, I guess tri-attack would remain Normal monotype.
    We don't want to see triple types, do we? :p
  19. deluge

deluge

The first thing that popped into my mind with that Serebii pic thing was bellossom ...
  20. labarith

labarith

While Starmie is good... generally speaking it's one thing to have an offensively powerful pokemon you can level-up-past. In contrast, Miltank-style defensive pokemon with self-healing can be absurdly tough.

However, I was really referring to rare pokemon, not powerful ones. We've never had the dragon gym be #2, and having the fiary gym be #2 is just plain nuts since fairies are said to be weak only to obscure move-types steel and poison. Unless they totally rework the kinds of pokemon you meet on your early trip (and not just by making every grass pokemon grass/poison), this would be quite absurd for early-game balance and learning purposes.
  21. Yveltal

Yveltal

I was wondering, how would we go about changing clothes in-game, and where do we get new outfits from? Is there a strip mall in Lumiose City, or certain Pokemarts/store kiosks that sell accessories, like how they sold secret base paraphernalia in RSE? Do Pokemon Centers have changing rooms for us to use, or do we have to go back home every time we want to modify our outfit?
  22. king chespin

king chespin

back on track (don't kill us yet stellar)do you think Lumiose will be like castelia/saffron etc? I think it might also be a tourist attraction like nimbasa and real world paris.
  23. shockwave527

shockwave527

Can someone please answer this for me? I would really like to know so that, if anything was not said, I can bring it up.
  24. king chespin

king chespin

like narutendo said, we did not discuss 1 4 or 5 I think
  25. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

Is that true that the player will be able to ride Pokémon? If true, will this apply to many Pokémon or will just apply to Gogoat?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)