1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osiris

Osiris la vie est drôle
    is a Battle Server Moderator

I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking of that. I really do hope it evolves.
  2. Yveltal

Yveltal

N-N-N-NO IT DOESN'T
    (and how dare they edit Zoroark's crazy burst of an auto-tuned cry so heavily)
    Mice and gerbils naturally look a lot alike, are you going to blame biology for not thinking it's designs through? When it comes to new Pokémon who have obvious similarities to Pokémon from previous generations, it shows that Game Freak is trying to replicate the real-world phenomenon of divergent speciation. It isn't ever mentioned, but it's implied that the reason Pikachu/Raichu and Dedenne look similar but are distinct species is because they may have once shared a common ancestor that branched off into a variety of new species.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
    Ingo and Mario With Lasers like this.
  3. Tytus

Tytus

I think, in Pokemon-Amie, the cries are warped a bit. Like how when a Pokemon uses Growl (maybe it's Roar? Or both) its sounds similar but not the same. You can hear Snorlax's "real" cry the first time, then a slightly different one shortly after that. Might also be the case with Zoroark.

But, in the demo battles, it's easy to hear that the cries have been updated to not sound like they're coming out of an original Game Boy anymore.
  4. Missingno. Master

Missingno. Master

Yeah, Growl and Roar tend to warp the cries a bit. I think Howl and Hyper Voice do this as well- Actually, I know Hyper Voice does this- whenever I have my Liepard use it I have to lower the volume, otherwise the first part of the cry sounds like a high-pitched scream.

Not sure how I feel about the cries being updated, though. On the one hand, it's pretty cool that they're being redone to sound more modern. On the other hand, I had all the old cries completely memorized and now I'm gonna have to do that aaaaall over again. I wonder, though, if Charizard and Rhyhorn's cries will still sound identical?
  5. Eagle4

Eagle4

I kinda really dislike the updated sounds to make them more anime-like because 1) I'm a sucker for nostalgia and 2) the anime should have no bearing on the games, which were first. Just my two cents~

HA CELEVER
  6. Missingno. Master

Missingno. Master

Sucker for nostalgia? I hear that. I still play RBY on occasion myself. Primarily for the glitch Pokémon. On that topic, though, if you're a sucker for nostalgia, then shouldn't Pikachu's updated cry take you right back to Yellow Version?
  7. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

I really, really doubt Dedenne will evolve. The reason? Marketability.

Since the success of Pikachu, and to some extent Pichu, GameFreak have included a cutesy electric rodent in every generation. It has become hugely popular among girl fans, often has a prominent part in the Anime, and comes fairly early in-game (around the third gym or so - so it can be a part of your (little sister's) team throughout the entire journey). Making an evolution for the cutesy rodent would involve giving it a "competitor", so to speak - another similar creature it will have to share the limelight with. Also, the rodents are famous for their cuteness, and as the pre-evo tends to be the most huggable in an evolutionary family, there would be many fans who prefer not having it evolve. So the rodent stays single-stage, keeping the marketing spotlight aimed and focused on itself.

So we have a Pokémon that by necessity has to be single-stage, and by necessity must be found early in the game. To prevent it from being overpowered, its stats have to be set fairly low. It might be good for in-game, but it will always come short of the standards of high-tier competitive play. Its purpose isn't kicking ass in battle anyway, it's to sell plushies and appear on posters.

However, it would be a stretch to say that Dedenne is doomed to suck per se. Quite few Pokémon do that nowadays. It will probably sport an extensive movepool, giving you plenty of options to fill in its four moveslots when touring Kalos. Since the number of available moves increases for every generation, fewer and fewer Pokémon are forced to run weak moves throughout your adventure (see many Gen. I Pokémon, for instance). Dedenne's stats are hopefully not totally pathetic either, making it capable of going toe-to-toe with many in-game opponents. It will probably be fun to play with, which is my main measure of suckiness - though, don't expect the same to be the case in competitive battles.
    MikeDawg and Alert to Sounds like this.
  8. wiithepeople

wiithepeople

I have the feeling it's going to play very similarly to Pachirisu, only that Dedenne will have an additional Fairy typing and STAB Fairy moves. I also have the feeling that Dedenne will be slower than Pachi but will have higher offensive stats instead.
  9. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

@Cobraroll

heard you talking shit about dedenne and men

let's go
    PME and amnz like this.
  10. amnz

amnz

I got your back
  11. IcyMan28

IcyMan28

Does anyone else think that the wild pokemon present in the demo vary depending on which starter you were randomly assigned? I haven't seen a single Exeggutor in any of these videos outside of that one time, and Skitty was present in that case too.
  12. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

And yet Mawile got a mega evolution instead of an actual one

Meanwhile, Sylveon is both a special case and the only actual old-pokemon evolution we've seen this generation.
  13. Missingno. Master

Missingno. Master

You make a good point, but still, I'm not fully convinced that Mega Evolutions are going to completely take the place of giving new evolutions to old Pokémon. Even if Sylveon does turn out to be the only new evolution we get this generation, the fact remains that we don't know that for sure yet. Remember Generation IV? Remember how we got, what, Weavile, Roserade, and Electivire before the games were released? And now remember just how many other new evolutions there turned out to be? Honchkrow, Ambipom, Mismagius, Gliscor, Leafeon, Glaceon, Magmortar, Rhyperior, Froslass, Gallade, Yanmega, and Mamoswine, and that's just off the top of my head.

Basically, I'm saying that while you could very well be right, we can't say either way with certainty just yet. I do believe that the existence of Sylveon gives hope for other Pokémon gaining new evolutions, but right now that's only my opinion, and I could just as easily be wrong about that.
    megayokim and emboarrocks like this.
  14. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Remember how in addition to 3 evolutions we also got 3 pre-evolutions and also a note saying there would be a number of new evolutions & pre-evolutions to older pokemon
    compared to now where we have one (1) evolution and a new style of not-evolution almost exclusively shown with old generation Pokemon
    Gokuzbu likes this.
  15. Tytus

Tytus

The only one "anime-like" is Pikachu. The others were just updated so they don't sound 8-bit anymore.
  16. skitz0phrenic

skitz0phrenic

As long as we get around 100-120ish new things like previous gens I don't really care if old stuff gets evos. I'd only be concerned if Megas take the place of new things and we ended up with 50-60 new things because of it but I doubt that's going to be the case.
  17. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Sylveon is a special case because Eevee has that whole unstable DNA gimmick, Fairy is a new type and also because it already wasn't a final-stage pokémon. I still believe we will get a couple branch evolutions, but I'm not expecting anything that was final stage in BW to get it.

Basically, nothing that couldn't use Eviolite will start using it in XY.
    no, Eviolite isn't the reason for no new evos, don't even suggest it
  18. Ingo

Ingo

Not saying either of you are wrong, but remember, we can't (1 eeveelution) rely (New type) on (Horde battles) prior (3d models) patterns (customizable trainers) to justify why something would or would not be a feature/a part of the game. It's a toss up.
    Alert to Sounds likes this.
  19. StrangeState

StrangeState

starting at 4:23

Fennekin using Tail Whip, Flabebe using Razor Leaf and Lucky Chant
  20. Scepticallistic

Scepticallistic

Oh jeez I didn't even completely watch the video I linked myself. I did hear Snorlax have a slightly different cry when it bounced with happiness after being petted. This is cool! Pokemon can make different cries based on their mood (at least in Pokemon-Amie, anyway). The cry that we heard from Zoroark is after consuming a Pokefood-of-the-region. I'm going to assume that the sent-out battle cry will resemble more its original cry but less shrill and buzzy. I guess it's hard for us to call anymore until the games come out.
  21. Gokuzbu

Gokuzbu

Cheeky
    Ingo likes this.
  22. Lord Raiden

Lord Raiden

Is anyone else kind of pissed off about mega evolutions?

It doesn't seem like it, and I'm starting to think that more people should be kind of worried or unhappy.

So far, the only pokemon that have them are pokemon that don't need them, because they're already pretty strong (somewhere near OU or in ubers) and pokemon that need a regular, permanent evolution (in order to give them better stats and a wider movepool) instead of something temporary that would occur only in battle (Mawile and maybe Kangaskhan and Ampharos).

So, if this trend continues, I can only infer that gamefreak is hellbent on making balance issues even worse, and that I should not buy the game.

Does anybody else here feel even remotely like this, or are you all mindless consumers of videogame media?
  23. Tytus

Tytus

I'd say we're all pretty mindless. I had to have my mother type this message for me because I can't read or write.
  24. Jimmyftw

Jimmyftw

There will be a distribution on Sep 15 and it will likely contain one of Lucario, Oshawott, Zoroark, Chimchar, Sableye, or Treecko.

This makes me think these poke will get MEvo. Sableye is receiving way too much attention to not get anything new.
  25. Lord Raiden

Lord Raiden

Alright, if that went over your head, I'll get straight to the point.

If generation six makes the metagame even worse than generation five did, then the best thing that any of us could do as intelligent consumers is to just not buy it.

Buying something and then complaining about it doesn't do very much good, because you've already given the producer your money, and unless you've bought a product from an extremely altruistic company, your complaints won't carry much weight.

Until they unveiled the mega evolutions, I was going to pre-order the game and buy myself a 3DS for it. Now I'm starting to feel like I should just skip it, because they don't seem to give a damn about important things like balance and power creep.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)