1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

I actually think there is one more cave. You see the aquaduct/railroad line to the very east? Slightly below it are three small isles in the river. Just to the left of the southernmost island, I see something that might be a small cave entrance. I'm not sure if it is a dead end or if other entrances can be seen with enough goodwill (for instance the ledge just above it, or the tiny pond slightly northeast), but I suspect it hides something interesting...

Also, the glowing shrub to the southeast simply screams "HERE LIVES XERNEAS!" to me. At the very opposite side of the map (extreme northwest) is some sort of thingy in the forest. It could also be the dwelling of something legendary.

EDIT: Just watched that video, and while I agree with them on most of the points, I think they've got the starter town wrong. Judging by the released screenshots, it seems like you'll actually start to the extreme south. All the screenshots apart from those of Lumiose City (and the desert) show the towns and routes directly south of Lumiose. I think the southernmost town will be your starting place, and then you venture north to Lumiose. From there on, it's a "spoked wheel" layout with dead ends, maybe apart from surfing on the rivers. I think Lumiose will be even more centralizing than Nimbasa was in Gen. V, with lots of facilities you'll keep visiting every day.
  2. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Have you thought about maybe
    just maybe

going to pokebeach

e: He also got Gogoat & Fletchling's name correct. I think Panchum was a typo of the actual name Pancham.
  3. Zowayix

Zowayix

Ok, I just saw that image for the first time, and the first Pokemon that came to mind was Flareon. How well does that fit?
  4. R_N

R_N

http://pokebeach.com/news/0513/xy/pokedex.jpg

This is a fuller image. As you can see, it's a Pokemon that comes right after Fletching's would-be final evolution

Even if Fletching was (bafflingly) a single Pokemon with no evolution, flareon wouldn't go there
  5. Codraroll

Codraroll

^How does that image match with the Pokédex setup, though?

We see Fennekin being selected, as the fourth Pokémon in the dex. Then, the info page on it either pops up between two lines in the index, pushing them apart, or it obscures the lines below it all the way down to the empty entry before Zigzagoon.
    It can't be the former, since then there wouldn't be any room for the Froakie evolution line.
    If it's the latter, it means that the page on Fennekin obscures approximately four lines of Pokémon, or twenty entries. Now, we know that three of those are reserved for the Froakie line, but that would still mean there's 17 entries between Froakie3 and Zigzagoon. Either, we have a bunch of bugs and their evolutions coming before the regional bird, or Fletchling isn't that early in the Pokédex and might not be the generic bird and thus not as "standard" as we seem to think.

Or, when typing this, I realized a third option could be possible: That the info blurb on Fennekin only obscuresone line of Pokédex entries, and pushes the next lines further down. That would make room for Froakie and its evolution family, as well as one two-stage evolution line coming before Zigzagoon.
  6. eriados

eriados

7. Menorka

Menorka

8. Codraroll

Codraroll

^Legit? Not necessarily, it just means somebody found a tree to name the alleged professor after. It's not rocket science, I just made up "Professor Pine" on the spot in less than four seconds.
  9. Menorka

Menorka

Hehe yeah, it was kind of ironically meant. Guess you have to use smilies in such a case on the internet though ;)
  10. Exbo

Exbo

You are both right (sorry ;_;) but I was actually referring to whether I've missed something. So yeah, only the names have been confirmed.

Only the names, R_N, unless I've missed something.
    (edit: Oh you're probably referring to that I only mentioned Helioptile in my previous post. Yeah I had forgotten about the others back then :S)

Unless you count as further confirmation the fact that both that guy and Hiro mentioned the Fairy type.
    Which you shouldn't since Hiro tweeted that the pokebeach rumors are mostly bogus.
  11. R_N

R_N

Getting the names right lends more credibility to the rumor, which is the point.

It'd be weird to get the names correct (namely, Helioptile because seriously who would just guess that) but nothing else
    e: ok well fairy type too but whatevs
  12. Zowayix

Zowayix

I would not be surprised if it turned out that he was a troll who actually did have access to the four English names early (and maybe some other info), and then made up a bunch of other stuff. Then once the four names were confirmed, everyone would naturally believe the rest of it, including the stuff that was made up.

Although I definitely think a new type is likely based on Pokemon Smash, the other rumors range from plausible to very hard to believe.
  13. nikka

nikka

I'm with you on the new type part. It almost seems obvious with all the hype around sylveon, the smash segment, etc.

plus some people may be against it, but i for one want a new type. It would shake things up a bit and if used right could turn the metagame upside down
  14. Codraroll

Codraroll

Nah, the new type speculation and rumours appear every generation. But this time, there wasn't really anything contradicting them, actually quite the opposite. GameFreak have repeatedly addressed the typings of Sylveon, Xerneas and Yveltal, but they haven't given as much as a hint until last Sunday. They could have ignored the type question entirely - as they did with the species names, for instance, but they kept posting those ???s wherever they could. They want us to discuss the typings.

As for why "Fairy" is the most popular theory... well, I guessed it's partly because of the obviousness of (as well as vehement opposition to) a Light type (which half the fans want to complement Dark, and the other half want just to make the former shut up about it). Fairy became the most prominent theory because of Sylveon's appearance. It's too damn hard to label as anything else. "Fairy" is also a label that could be put on very many existing Pokémon across all generations, thus making a retype less "forced". This is unlike other proposed types, such as "Love", "Sound", "Glass", "Gem", etc. Also, a fairy type would cater to the crowd of Pokémon-playing girls, offering them some Pokémon that retain their cuteness upon evolution, but also gets butt-kicking powers (see Aron and Whismur versus Skitty and Jigglypuff). Fairy simply seems plausible, and GameFreak has done nothing to dampen the rumours.

Come the next generation, though, and I guess a Light type crowd will return. Until we get it, those rumours will never die down. If we do get it, though, I guess they would just find something else to wish for.
  15. skitz0phrenic

skitz0phrenic

None of the new type theories have a single leg to stand on imo. They're nothing but grasping for straws. A lot of people are going to be really upset when Sylveon just turns out to be Flying type.
  16. R_N

R_N

I'd say the pokebeach source has *some* sort of leg to stand on considering the names
  17. Zowayix

Zowayix

Please explain why the exact text caption "Super effective?!" appeared on Pokemon Smash when they were testing the effectiveness of Poison-type on Shokotan/Sylveon.
  18. Chaoswalker

Chaoswalker

That would be the greatest troll. "SYLVEON? WHAT IS IT? WHAT COULD IT BE? IS IT THIS? NO. THAT? NOPE. WE WON'T TELL YOU THOUGH BECAUSE IT'S SO MYSTERIOOOOOOOOUSit'saflyingtypesorrygohomewewantedtowasteyourtime."
    I will be legitimately disappointed if after all this hype Sylveon turns out to be just flying.
  19. Mario With Lasers

Mario With Lasers Self-proclaimed DEAD king
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I frankly want to know how Sylveon can be Flying-type if it couldn't even handle some brawly man in a face-off
  20. Dark Fallen Angel

Dark Fallen Angel FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!

What if they changed type chart to make Poison super-effective against Flying?

On a more serious note, I would like to know where is the logic on Poison being super-effective against Fairy, assuming that this type existed. It makes much sense if Fire, Dark, and Electric are super-effective against it.
  21. R_N

R_N

How would Fire, Dark, and/or Electric make any more sense than Poison
  22. Champion Steve

Champion Steve

I thought Poison being SE was reasonable, because every time you pollute or litter a Fairy dies. And Fire was said to resist it. What confuses me is why it would be SE on Fighting (other than Nintendo realizing the monster it unleashed in Gen V.)
  23. Lord Raiden

Lord Raiden

I don't want dual-type attacks.

Gen V is my least favorite gen (the only I might never buy), and it was partially because of gimmicky crap like the "dream world" and triple battles.

Dual type attacks really sound like overkill when regular moves can already inflict x6 damage against things if all the multipliers stack up right.

I know Pokemon still has single-player mode, but it's about damn time that gamefreak realized that they need to make the competitive side of Pokemon and the single-player side of Pokemon synergize better with one another, which means less gimmicky things that only exist in single-player and more things that are applicable inside and out side the single-player experience.
  24. Exbo

Exbo

Excactly! All the other things the pokebeach guy said are farfetched theories many fans wanted since the announcement of XY.
    I'm not saying they're impossible, but think of it:
    Dual typed attacks?
    Reverse started triangle?

Although the rest don't seem impossible tbh, I can totally see the sky battle stuff happening.
    EDIT:
    You forgot Dry skin and Blaze :D x11.7 damage :D :D :D
  25. GenXXZ

GenXXZ

I don't believe this Pokebeach stuff for one lousy second.
    Well, most of it. At this point, I don't think a new type, dare I say Fairy, would be all that surprising considering all of the hype for Sylveon's typing and such. But... 2 Mewtwo forms? The ability to see EVs? We're never going to see EVs... They're put in there to personalize people's Pokemon, why would they ever represent that directly to the player as a number? It just seems like a bunch of possible truths mixed with outright lies.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)