Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Did you guys know about this?

The Spotted Salamander can photosynthesize through the rows of spots on its back and has remarkable regenaration abilities, even compared to other reptiles. Also, he's black and yellow. Sound familiar???
I thought about Spotted Salamanders before I considered frilled-neck lizards to be the inspiration for Helioptile, since he looked a little too sleek to be a lizard, though both make perfect sense. Originally, I thought his fill-ear things were supposed to roughly resemble live wires in a generator, or something.

Where are you getting this from? Electric types, on average, are more special than physical, and there are more special Electric attacks than there are physical ones. Not that I don't think It's withing the realm of possibility for Helioptile to become physical, but that first part is a bit off.
Actually, it's lizards that have a tendency towards body elongation, rather than salamanders.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
According to EB Games Australia there is a Nintendo Direct tonight. Is this noteworthy at all or have I been under a rock too long?

According to EB Games Australia there is a Nintendo Direct tonight. Is this noteworthy at all or have I been under a rock too long?
I don't think Nintendo Direct has been giving out new info since the original announcement of X and Y. And since Masuda is supposed to appear on the next episode of smash, I doubt they'd reveal anything new before that. I could be wrong though, who knows with gamefreak?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
There will be 3DS info about the summer releases too.

It's pretty obvious that helioptile's final evo ought to get solar power. And Lizards are pretty dang fast animals. The fastest Solar Power user we have right now is Charizard, at base 100. Base 100 is good, but irl, SPZard is hard (impossible) to obtain. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to use a faster Solar Power user?

Actually, it's lizards that have a tendency towards body elongation, rather than salamanders.
Ahh, my bad. Still, I hope that the connection to using sunlight is strong enough to validate some possible inspiration. Not that it matters much

It's about games being released over the summer, nothing too special

Watch Heliptile do the solar lizard thing better than charizard. Ahehehehe.... poor guy.

WPM posted the English names of all 4 'mons from the recent CoroCoro scans before they were officially revealed and got them all correct (for the most part). Helioptile's nearly impossible to just guess. The only discrepancy was that the panda turned out to be "Pancham" rather than "Panchum," but that may very well have been a petty typo on the part of WPM's source or someone else down the grapevine of leaked info. Who's to say there wasn't another petty misunderstanding involving the spelling of the professor's name or the language in which the name is "Patrice"?
Very likely that someone just got to playtest and happened to have some info and then embellished the bunch with some made up snippets.

A teaser for Pokemon Smash has been posted a few hours ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFaS_4TRnH4&feature=youtu.be

Yeah I couldn't figure out how to post a video after being being registered for like seven years lol. Don't really know how to change my username too, but whatever.

About the video, they only show one mysterious board/poster/whatever you like to call it, so maybe they're not showing the "new" information from Corocoro? Or they'll troll and only show the boxarts. And the men dressed up as Eevolutions still freak me out.

Ok, I feel we haven't looked closely enough into some places on the map, and I think there's a lot of unexplored territory in that that we could go a lot deeper into and should be discussed. Here are some things:

• From the desert scene, one of those buildings is resting on lava. Significance of that?
  • That small island in the top left. Remind anyone else of one of the regi islands? I think that has the potential to hold some legend.
  • In what's been assumed to be the starting town at the top of the map, did anyone else notice the grain silo next to what looks like a farm. Significance?
  • People are saying that snowflake "thing" is a windmill, however when I first saw it I thought "satellite". Could it be?
There's more I have to bring up, but I want to launch a bit more discussion before I bring in new ideas. Also, someone made an amazing map locating where known places are as well as possible reasons for places and what real locations these things are based off of, a possible launching point for more discussion. The map:

So? Thoughts, anyone?
Are any of those areas version exclusive?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
That could just be the CoroCoro info, though. After all, you either have to buy a magazine or look it up specifically on the Internet to find out the new info. Many kids aren't that savvy with the Internet, even though they love Pokémon, so TV would be their most likely source of news. As far as "traditional media" is concerned, only the magazine buyers know about the new Pokémon yet. TV reaches a lot more people.

On the other hand, I really hope it's something completely new.

That could just be the CoroCoro info, though. After all, you either have to buy a magazine or look it up specifically on the Internet to find out the new info. Many kids aren't that savvy with the Internet, even though they love Pokémon, so TV would be their most likely source of news. As far as "traditional media" is concerned, only the magazine buyers know about the new Pokémon yet. TV reaches a lot more people.

I will never ask anything of Gen VI again if we get two leaks with entirely different information twice in one week.

I read something while derping around on Serebii "The Kalos region is in fact so large, that it actually has separated its own Pokédex into three parts; Central Kalos, Coast Kalos and Mountain Kalos." Not sure if that's a matter of fact that the region is meant to be huge, but I'm now hopeful to see over 300 native Pokemon in Kalos, so as to accomodate all of this space.

I really hope with how absurdly larger 3DS games can be compared to DS that they blow the roof off traditional region sizes and just make this region enormous. I'm talking like Kanto + Johto + 1 or more.

After all, levels do go to 100 and normally the games end around 50-60 with the occasional E4 Round 2 and a handful of post game trainers pushing 70s and very few pushing 80s. I'd love to see it spread over a game big enough to the point that E4 Round 2 is 100s across the board and the post game trainers just have really strongly built teams.

Also because this is Pokemon Smash. Restating information we already know is their thing like 95% of the time

I will never ask anything of Gen VI again if we get two leaks with entirely different information twice in one week.

I read something while derping around on Serebii "The Kalos region is in fact so large, that it actually has separated its own Pokédex into three parts; Central Kalos, Coast Kalos and Mountain Kalos." Not sure if that's a matter of fact that the region is meant to be huge, but I'm now hopeful to see over 300 native Pokemon in Kalos, so as to accomodate all of this space.
Pretty sure that's all Serebii making assumptions sine we have no idea of the scale of the region or why the pokdex is split (which hasn't even been acknowledged by the sites and such as a big deal). It could be something as simple as "The professor is researching what Pokemon live where"

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really hope with how absurdly larger 3DS games can be compared to DS that they blow the roof off traditional region sizes and just make this region enormous. I'm talking like Kanto + Johto + 1 or more.

After all, levels do go to 100 and normally the games end around 50-60 with the occasional E4 Round 2 and a handful of post game trainers pushing 70s and very few pushing 80s. I'd love to see it spread over a game big enough to the point that E4 Round 2 is 100s across the board and the post game trainers just have really strongly built teams.
I like where this is going but you have to remember that boost in difficulty is usually something you only see from ROM hacks. They could have a secondary mini-story after a really challenging, lengthy region. There's so many ways this generation could go but I wouldn't expect to find anything higher than level 80.

I'd rather enter a conference after defeating a mini-region. Similar as to where you can face all the leaders/champions in BW, but after winning like 4 badges. This could occur after you beat the main story.

It's all hopes and dreams and I think with X and Y being 3D, their main focus will be centered around showcasing the new features and gameplay.

b2j is a funny man
While I don't know about driving a car, since this is Pokemon, not a driving game, and as such since we're learning about the ecology of the Pokmon world and not engineering, it is less necessary than character customization (This is probably going to become most fun during wifi battles, if we get to see how our opponent dresses up their character), I think the taxi cab that the girl walks past may have some use for showing you around the city, like in the last Mario Party game for the Wii where in the monopoly-like game table, there's a koopa or something that drives you halfway across town in a cab if you land on his space, or maybe the driver is informational and has a detailed map of the city. But I also get the feeling that he's gonna give you the same bullshit response about carrying a trainer that the flight attendants gave you in BW, where since you have Pokemon, you shouldn't have to worry about using civilized methods of transportation to get around.
Paying fare? forget that, kid. Just ride on the back of one of your pets if you don't feel like walking!
By this logic, it would surprise me to see a functioning cab business/airport if they don't allow trainers to ride, which makes up like 95% of the world population.
However, I hope it won't JUST be Gogoats, I'm still wishing for the ability to ride a Rapidash, or a Stantler
...or an Electrode

Anyone else think riding Pokemon might just be Gogoat's gimmick? It might have an ability or attack like "Mountaineer" (stolen from Syclant) that has a field effect allowing you to ride him, possibly letting you get through otherwise impassible areas, sort of like Rock Climb.

He has a little saddle blanket in the overworld that's not in his battle model. Maybe that's a Key Item? Maybe you use that to ride certain mountable Pokemon.

Anyone else think riding Pokemon might just be Gogoat's gimmick? It might have an ability or attack like "Mountaineer" (stolen from Syclant) that has a field effect allowing you to ride him, possibly letting you get through otherwise impassible areas, sort of like Rock Climb.

He has a little saddle blanket in the overworld that's not in his battle model. Maybe that's a Key Item? Maybe you use that to ride certain mountable Pokemon.
Didn't corocoro say it could only be ridden in that one city? Or am I remembering wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)