Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
celebi (sometimes), rotom-c and exeggutor use leaf storm

i dont think anything really uses overheat though. besides as a last move on certain choice specs fire-type just for a little extra damage

so with their focus on differences between male and female pokemon (meowstick, pyroar) do you think they'll retcon older pokemon (ralts and kirlia for example) to have new forms? even if the differences is purely visual

so with their focus on differences between male and female pokemon (meowstick, pyroar) do you think they'll retcon older pokemon (ralts and kirlia for example) to have new forms? even if the differences is purely visual
I doubt it, they didn't do it for 5th gen which has similar differences.

I wouldn't complain too much if Hyper Beam, along with the equivalents, switched back to their Gen1 mechanics, that being that the recharge turn only takes place if you didn't knock out the opposing Pokemon. It would be viable in competitive play for Choice users and late-game cleaners but it would also be extremely risky if another poke switches in and tanks it.

If this doesn't come back to us in XY, I hope it does in future games.

I'd like to see a mechanic that keeps the general idea but makes it a bit more palatable. Like if you use Hyper Beam, you have to use a different move next turn or switch, but you can still do something.

celebi (sometimes), rotom-c and exeggutor use leaf storm

i dont think anything really uses overheat though. besides as a last move on certain choice specs fire-type just for a little extra damage
I thought that Roserade was the most well-known Leaf Storm user.
Also, Manetric, Rayquaza, Mixnape and Rotom-H use Overheat and I think almost every Specs fire type uses it(or should be using it), not just some.

I'd like to see a mechanic that keeps the general idea but makes it a bit more palatable. Like if you use Hyper Beam, you have to use a different move next turn or switch, but you can still do something.
Still bs because then I could pull stuff like hydro cannon> protect> hydro cannon

Fire Blast is a much better choice on Specs Fire-types, because it has decent accuracy and more consistent power. Overheat was used at one point on Sun Specs Heatran but it doesn't have too much utility outside of that.

Overheat's primary use is as a strong fire-type move to get around steels if you have no other options, which made it popular in Gen 3. Nowadays, almost everything has more options and so its use has suffered.

On a similar note, I would also like to see Hyper Beam class moves return to their Gen 1 mechanics. They are the epitome of high-risk, high-reward moves and should be treated as such. Unfortunately, GF seems to be doing away with those given the recent Explosion mechanic change.

I personally hope they won't. I really like Kirlia's design and don't think it needs a 'masculine' counterpart. As someone who has been dancing for about 17 years, I really like the idea of having a male Kirlia en pointe.

Speaking of which, I'm really hoping that there will be a good number of Fairy Type Pokemon that will stray away from the stereotypical cute designs. Fairies, in the actual lore, are generally anything but cute. There are a lot of mythical creatures that we would call scary/creepy that actually identify as faeries. The Boogeyman, the Chubacabra, Big Foot, and even Slenderman are all technically fairies.

Pokemon #666 will be a Fairy Type based off of Slendy

I personally hope they won't. I really like Kirlia's design and don't think it needs a 'masculine' counterpart. As someone who has been dancing for about 17 years, I really like the idea of having a male Kirlia en pointe.

Speaking of which, I'm really hoping that there will be a good number of Fairy Type Pokemon that will stray away from the stereotypical cute designs. Fairies, in the actual lore, are generally anything but cute. There are a lot of mythical creatures that we would call scary/creepy that actually identify as faeries. The Boogeyman, the Chubacabra, Big Foot, and even Slenderman are all technically fairies.

Pokemon #666 will be a Fairy Type based off of Slendy
There's a distinct difference between the modern concept of fairy and the older concepts of the same (which are limited to a very specific region of the world, so I am not comfortable with the categorization of the chupacabra and sasquatch as "fairies" - about all they share in common is that they're supernatural reclusive critters.) Most of the people calling for more "adult" fairies should be aware that that's basically what the psychic type is for - Psychic and Ghost have been the go-to "magic" types for five generations now (ghost mostly for attacks, not the pokemon themselves.) Based on what we know, Fairy types are clearly going for something like the modern definition of the term, which includes a connotation of purity and innocence - not necessarily cutesy, but at the very least naturalistic in a way that Grass doesn't quite cover on its own.

Your definition of fairy would result in like, a fifth of all pokemon ever being valid candidates for the fairy type.

However, for the sake of diversity in design, I'd still like to see less traditional "fairies" gain the type. A goblin, chupacabra, or bigfoot would be more likely to get the Dark- or Ghost-type, sure, but I don't want pokemon like Mismagius (based off the banshee and witches and is classified as the Magical pokemon) to miss out on a potentially awesome type because of the stereotype.

I'm guessing the "other" definition of fairy is the reason why Mawile was in the egg group and why it got changed at all. To break it up a little from all the cute pink fairies.

Likewise I expect Glalie to get fairy typing.

Sorry if this is old news, but I noticed on Serebii that Helioptile's ability is Dry Skin. I've always wanted an electric type that had a water immunity! Looks like rain just got a new Life Orb/Substitute attacker.

Also, great synergy with Moltres. :)

Last edited:
There's a distinct difference between the modern concept of fairy and the older concepts of the same (which are limited to a very specific region of the world, so I am not comfortable with the categorization of the chupacabra and sasquatch as "fairies" - about all they share in common is that they're supernatural reclusive critters.) Most of the people calling for more "adult" fairies should be aware that that's basically what the psychic type is for - Psychic and Ghost have been the go-to "magic" types for five generations now (ghost mostly for attacks, not the pokemon themselves.) Based on what we know, Fairy types are clearly going for something like the modern definition of the term, which includes a connotation of purity and innocence - not necessarily cutesy, but at the very least naturalistic in a way that Grass doesn't quite cover on its own.
In English, the definition and connotation of the word 'fairy' varies wildly depending on your cultural/religious background. I see it used on a regular basis with a neutral, good, or bad connotation. There's a distinct difference between a "modern" and "popularized" definition; Disney doesn't decide what a fairy is.

Anyway, the inclusion of Xerneas as a fairy type suggests that they are using a broader definition of the word Fairy. EDIT: Which would fit in with your naturalistic vision, which is kind of where I was going. Sorry, got blinded by the ethnocentrism.

Sorry if this is old news, but I noticed on Serebii that Helioptile's ability is Dry Skin. I've always wanted an electric type that had a water immunity! Looks like rain just got a new Life Orb/Substitute attacker.:)
I was hoping for solar powered, being based on a reptile and all. An electric sun sweeper would be cool

Yeah I thought Dry Skin was a strange choice on a pokemon said to derive its energy from the sun, but I guess the went with the whole "I'm a reptile" route. Either way, Electric/Normal is pretty starved for resists so having that Water immunity is pretty clutch. Rain teams will love having a foolproof switch into Rotom-W/other water type pokemon that can actually strike back.

Personally, I'm hoping that Heliptile's second ability is Solar Power, or at least that its Hidden Ability is Solar Power.

Something's bothering me. Clefairy and Snubbull, whose species name is the Fairy Pokemon, aren't Fairy-types (yet). I get that they might be completely different in Japanese, but still. Plus, there should be a reason to ever actually use Granbull, because as of now, there isn't one. Edit: Helioptile is supposed to draw its energy from the sun. However, it gets hurt every turn in the sun. Uhh... What?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I'm hoping Helioptile has both Dry Skin and Solar Power. That way it can play for both teams. If you know what I'm saying.
Electric moves on a sun team are rare, and it would be a good way to combat rain in the weather wars.
I hope it gets both as well.
Been longing for a non-water electric type that goes well in Rain.

Solar Power suits more to its name though, it seems like the whole Pokemon was designed to use this ability.
Remember the parabolic move?
My opinion is that Sun does not go well with Thunder, but they could make a move that works well in Sun.

However, if there's anything that's only on Serebii with no mention in other sites, we have to be careful since we all should know by now, he isn't good at Japanese.

Something's bothering me. Clefairy and Snubbull, whose species name is the Fairy Pokemon, aren't Fairy-types (yet). I get that they might be completely different in Japanese, but still. Plus, there should be a reason to ever actually use Granbull, because as of now, there isn't one. Edit: Helioptile is supposed to draw its energy from the sun. However, it gets hurt every turn in the sun. Uhh... What?
The species name for Clefairy is Yosei Pokemon, and fair enough, Yosei is usually translated as fairy, so it is a correct translation.

However, the type Fairy is just called Fuearii instead of Yosei, indicating they are going for the European definition.
So I'm still guessing an even 50-50 for Clefairy getting Fairy type.

As for Clefable, it's Japanese name is just Pixie.

Last edited:
Something's bothering me. Clefairy and Snubbull, whose species name is the Fairy Pokemon, aren't Fairy-types (yet). I get that they might be completely different in Japanese, but still. Plus, there should be a reason to ever actually use Granbull, because as of now, there isn't one.
We know 4 retyped mons at this point. There are clearly more they aren't bothering showing (Mawile didn't even get any real attention drawn to it)

They are very likely to get them (Hiro even specified that Clefairy would)
However, if there's anything that's only on Serebii, we have to be careful since we all should know by now, he isn't good at Japanese.
It was from the demo which has been in all most of the major countries by this point.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Oh...ok then, that's reliable enough.
Hope it gets some nice stats to fit in my rain team then.

We know 4 retyped mons at this point. There are clearly more they aren't bothering showing (Mawile didn't even get any real attention drawn to it)

They are very likely to get them (Hiro even specified that Clefairy would)

It was from the demo which has been in all most of the major countries by this point.
If Hiro says so, I guessing a 95% accuracy.

that requires another moveslot, gives the opponent a turn to set up, shuts down choiced hydro cannons, etc
Doesn't matter if the pokemon setting up isn't faster of capable of KOing the hydro cannon spammer. Also you're only losing 1 move slot plenty of water pokes opperste with 2-3 attacks. it's not like you're giving up much coverage at all... This is still a horrible idea.lol Also why would you make a move specifically so choice users couldn't use it? That's doing too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)