1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parallel

Parallel

Sometimes the not-kids can't either *cought cought UK VGC's*

I would also add that doubles as a format manages to be a bit... i won't so less centralized... the gap is lessened?
    Basically, the ability to double target makes the format a bit more friendly in my eyes, but for the exact same reasons it makes a great competitive format, it'd make single play quite fustrating, due to a large part of the game being "using your knowledge of types to get through as many trainers as you can without going back to the poke center"
    Related to why they ask you if you want to switch pokemon, you're supposed to have the advantage mechanically, because the game has advantage in numbers.
    So basically, doubles doesnt work as well for ingame as it does for tournaments because lots of little reasons.
    PME likes this.
  2. AstralFire

AstralFire

....None of that was really an issue to my recollection in XD and Colo, which are generally looked upon favorably.
  3. Fuzzball

Fuzzball

You're right, it would be annoying if all wild Pokemon encounters were doubles. I think Colosseum worked because all your fights are trainers and there's the strategy of capturing one of the foe's Pokemon. I still think that it could work in the main games if trainer battles were mostly doubles or other modes. All gyms being doubles might actually make gyms challenging, since you can't as easily roll through them with a single high-leveled mon.

Edit: Realized this is really off-topic now, sorry about that! To make this somewhat related to XY... I heard that sky battles are really sparse. :|
  4. wiithepeople

wiithepeople

I do know one good thing coming from this game.

Nincada has already been confirmed.
  5. Shiruba

Shiruba

Well, it makes sense. Not everyone is going to have something to participate in those, after all. It's perfectly acceptable to not have a flying type that can enter...
    Not like the doubles/triples, as you're expected to not be raising just one pokemon, y'know?
  6. Phadunk

Phadunk

So only 1 Mega per team, competitively? That's interesting. (Thank god though).

Honestly, the entire meta will change dramatically. There will be so much diversity, and there will be a lot of success with different combinations. It's going to be wonderful.
    PME likes this.
  7. Dietcoke101

Dietcoke101

8. ApathyandToast

ApathyandToast

Seeing as 3DS games are patchable, do you think Nintendo will ever try balance fixing? Not to the extent of trying to make every Pokemon viable, but nerfing blatantly overpowered pokemon or combos.
  9. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

^They stated already in an interview that they won't.

Besides, it's not like we haven't had overpowered things before. That has usually been solved by banning. Moody Smeargle is a prime example.
  10. AstralFire

AstralFire

Some day later in the series, I think so - but not with these games.
  11. hitoshura0

hitoshura0

I'd imagine if they are gonna use patches for stuff, it'll most likely be to patch in stuff they add in for Z, such as new forms and the items that are required for those forms.
    ElecRei and AstralFire like this.
  12. ElecRei

ElecRei

Or X/Y to the power of Y/X if they pull another sequel pair.
  13. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Has it been confirmed that the games will be on the eshop at Midnight on the 12th?
  14. hitoshura0

hitoshura0

If you go to the eShop, there's a ticker that says this. So, Midnight when it updates. I think it goes off Eastern time for the US, but I wouldn't quote me on that last part. But the midnight thing is a definite yes.
    Joeyboy likes this.
  15. Chasethebase

Chasethebase

This is actually a very good point, if you consider in the past, players with Platinum would not be able to enter battles with DP users if they had Skymin/Giratina-O on their team. A patch to XY once Z comes out would resolve this, and it could add models for trainers (If there were new models/customisation options).
  16. Phadunk

Phadunk

Totally forgot about the virtual download. Why bother going to the store. Good shout.

That's my plan then. Midnight release at home.
  17. hitoshura0

hitoshura0

The only issue that might come with the Digital Download is the large file size (I believe it is 1.7 gigs, please correct me if I'm wrong) and the excessive load on the server from so many people who will do that. Granted, if you start it at midnight and go to sleep, it should be finished in the morning for you.
  18. Phadunk

Phadunk

Well that doesn't help me at all. Will probably travel to stores for the hard copy then. Gotta play it that night!
  19. hitoshura0

hitoshura0

Best bet is if you live in an area where there is a 24 Hour Wal-Mart, go there. They are guaranteed to do a "Midnight Release", as theat's standard operating hours.
  20. Fuzzball

Fuzzball

That sucks, I really want a digital copy... I'll see how the download speed looks before I decide whether to stay up all night or not.
  21. Red G

Red G

I'm hoping Amazon delivers close to the release date (I'm assuming Amazon ships on release day, meaning it arrives a couple days later). It's going to be agonizing watching all the action here, knowing my version Y is still in transit. I probably should have preordered from a physical store.
  22. PME

PME

Honestly, I was contemplating the digital download since it was confirmed. But then I thought, "I REALLY like those pre-order bonuses. And what if the server crashes mid-download and I can't start my X playthrough? What if my 3DS gets stolen/ breaks?" Things like that.
  23. The King of Harts

The King of Harts

Amazon will have it at your door on Saturday as long as you order it a reasonable time before then. What they'll do is ship it either Thursday or Friday so it'll be to you the day it's supposed be released. They are very strict about that. I don't preorder games often from Amazon, but every time I did it was there one release day. Hell, I've ordered stuff from Amazon Japan and had it on my door no later than 5pm the day of release. It's very impressive.

That said, I still plan on leaving my house at about 4 in the morning to get it ASAP. I would do a midnight run, but I'd rather be running on a full tank than doze off a few hours in.
    PME likes this.
  24. jonnyrolo

jonnyrolo

Not sure this is the right place to ask this but : What is the general opinion on which game is better to buy from a competitive standpoint? For example would Pokémon Y be a better buy because Yvetal and other version exclusive Pokemon, or X for Xerneas and its exclusiveness? I know the game hasn't been released but based on what knowledge we know thus far there should be at least some speculation. I know I was pissed when I bought Black 2 and White 2 and gave Black 2 to my sister because it easily had the better version exclusives, and I don't want to make the same mistake this time around.
  25. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

^Even when counting the leaks, we don't know much about version exclusivity.
    If you plan to get it on release day, the details will still be too much out in the blue to determine which one is the best. Either way, if your sister gets the other one, you could always try to trade with her.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)