1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infernis

Infernis

"Who thinks this Pokemon is either powerful, everywhere, or mediocre?"
    i.e.
    "Who thinks this is a Pokemon?"

Big picture (open)
    [​IMG]

Not worried at all. Torchic has base 45, Bulbasaur has base 45, Chimchar has base 44. Their final evolutions are OU or Ubers. It's gonna evolve.
  2. Grammar Xatu

Grammar Xatu

Har har I meant pick one not is it one of those.
  3. deluge

deluge

The official site mentioned that you might be in trouble in horde battles if you don't have a move which hits more than one Pokemon. So I guess that will be another thing to think about strategically. I hope this turns out to be a Pokemon game with at least a little bit of challenge.

From pokebeach

4. JackieChun

JackieChun

[​IMG]

Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but Talonflame looks like it could very well blow through some of the bulky Steel types that plagued Staraptor competitively [Skarmory, Metagross, Bronzong, etc] without needing Reckless. The reason I say that is because of the description of Talonflame on the Pokemon XY website:

"An evolved form of the recently announced Fletchling, Talonflame is a Fire- and Flying-type Pokémon that gains a whole new level of speed and firepower. It dives at foes, and then attacks with devastating kicks."

...Devastating kicks? Hmmm...leads me to believe this bird is going to learn Close Combat or some type of Fighting move. And it's pre-evo already learns a Fire-type move in Flame Charge IIRC. The site also states that Talonflame learns Brave Bird. If this is true, this bird's coverage will be near perfect since Fire/Flying/Fighting is devastating. Of course the biggest drawback is the 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, unless the SR damage calculation changes by some miracle.

I know I got a bit into the competitive side there, so I apologize if I wasn't supposed to. We'd have to see this things base stats as well. Either way, this thing looks way too cool and I am definitely throwing it on my in-game team if I do pick up XY.
  5. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Hiro's rumors (which I see no reason to be wrong) say Xerneas is pure Fairy* while Yveltal is Dark/Flying

*Admittedly, it could have just been "It IS Fairy" instead of "It is PURE fairy"
  6. Pocket

Pocket GOJIRA
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Doubles Co-Leader

lol Xerneas will wreak some havoc in Ubers!

I wonder if we're allowed to bring out multiple Pokemon in the field during these hoard encounters
  7. The King of Harts

The King of Harts

I'm not liking Horde battles so far. How the hell are you supposed to survive a 5 v 1 battle? I mean, your Pokemon would always faint at the end of the turn with 5 Axew using just, like, scratch, let alone dual chop or dragon rage. Or do all five not get turn at once? Either way it seems way too challenging to take out five Pokemon at once - especially early game. Besides, it seems to go against the idea of double battles or triple battles when you send out only one Pokemon when you're up against five - who does that? "Five Axew? Better send out one Pokemon!"

The only way I could see this working is if the horde gets in a single file line and you take them one at a time. But then it's not really different from running into a wild Pokemon in five consecutive steps.
  8. MahouRedZ

MahouRedZ

I would say that the horde pokemons are a much lower level for the area.
  9. Grammar Xatu

Grammar Xatu

You are not supposed to survive, you level your other pokemon up. But I am sure there is some leveling system for it so you do not black out.
  10. Kirbyofthestars

Kirbyofthestars

I have a feeling that Froakie (and its evolutions) will be especially helpful in horde battles, since they'll most likely learn Surf like all the other Water-type starters.
  11. The King of Harts

The King of Harts

In the picture with Tauros and Miltank, they're level 14 and Fennekin is 25, so it's still gonna be tough and near impossible to end a turn without your mon fainting.

I know we don't have full details and blah blah blah, but how much more do you need to know other than it's 5 v 1? You're gonna take a lot of damage, you're gonna have a faint, you're gonna use A LOT of PP, and it's only one wild encounter.
  12. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

well technically it's 5 wild encounters
    just at once

and really you're probably e: NOT going to be attacked all at once
  13. The King of Harts

The King of Harts

So 1 v 1, just five times in a row? That seems to defeat the point. It's like having a double battle, but only one mon can go per turn.
  14. Nicki

Nicki

Who's in with me that horde-encounters with Sturdy Pokémon will suck? :D
  15. Lord Jesseus

Lord Jesseus

Pretty sure the hordes will be comparitively weak, isn't the point to make challenging wild encounters without giving us high level mons to catch?
  16. Nicki

Nicki

you'll just need to train your single pokémon MUCH MORE
  17. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf

18. MahouRedZ

MahouRedZ

"A video of a Horde Encounter of Gogoat vs. five Houndour was shown. Gogoat knocks out a Houndour, but has to deal with an attack from all four of the remaining Pokemon. Gogoat uses Rock Slide - hits all four remaining, and knocks them all out. This gives you a large amount of EXP. Points."

-Notes from JWittz in Pokebeach.

So they all do attack at the same time.
  19. skitz0phrenic

skitz0phrenic

If they're that significantly underleveled then they aren't going to do dick for damage to be honest. They'll combine for a total of like 1.5 to 2 normal attacks from their equal leveled selves, while you'll mostly likely OHKO all of them with a basic non super effective stab attack.
  20. The King of Harts

The King of Harts

That's just ridiculously hard. If just two or three of them had used ember, Gogoat would've fainted and you'd have to send another victim out there. You're basically boned if you don't have a SE, widespread attack and are faster.
  21. MahouRedZ

MahouRedZ

I remember GF saying something about increasing the difficulty some time ago but this is a bit ridiculous.

Now I see why it'll be easier to see IVs and EVs.
  22. skitz0phrenic

skitz0phrenic

I think there's a lack of information and some misunderstanding/jumping to conclusions going on here.
  23. b2j135

b2j135

24. Darknesscrusher

Darknesscrusher

Luckily, you almost always are faster and have SE/spread.
  25. NMx13

NMx13

This. If Pikachu is against 5 Rhyhorns, of course you will switch to something else. Why woulnd't you able to switch pokemon in horde encounter? but I guess you won't able to run away...?

spoiler !? (open)
    [​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)