1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b2j135

b2j135

I am almost CERTAIN they are trying to keep Awakened Forme Mewtwo underwraps until we get info on the new movie statewide which probably won't happen until 2014. And there is always Zoroark for SSB4 :p
  2. Cinccino

Cinccino

If Fairy is really immune to Dragon, I wish more types resist Fairy or it will just be the new definition of broken.
    As a defensive player, I'd like to see the metagame focusing on bulk so the battles last longer in such beautifully crafted game, but so far the leaked mons somehow look so offensive it might end up worse than the current OU :(
  3. Anarky

Anarky

Dragon/Fighting, meet Fairy/Ghost. There goes that dream...

Seriously though, I just wished they called it something else. Fairy sounds so lame, especially when by the looks of it a lot of "Fairy-type" pokemon aren't really fairies. Maybe "Magic-type"? Besides the already-confirmed Fairies, I'd be willing to be good money that Togekiss becomes Fairy/Flying and Celebi becomes Grass/Fairy. Togekiss seems likely because it's so different from the other generic Normal/Flying pokemon, and Celebi is the most fairy-like pokemon out there. This would make Togekiss, a mon with already great stats and capabilities, much better, and would make Celebi an incredible defensive behemoth. HP Poison Keldeo, anyone? All the other pixies besides Celebi stand good chance at becoming Fairies too, in my opinion. Cresselia too, with Fairy-type having a moon-based move. Though dumb-sounding, I think Fairy will be rather useful for remedying the generic-ness of various pokemon, certain Psychics and Normals especially.

As a side note, I really hope Fairy-type attacks are resisted by Steel, as if it's neutral or SE, it runs the risk of becoming a common type for coverage moves, which would be weird and lame. If you think about it, every type SE against Steel is incredibly common as coverage (Fire, Ground, Fighting), and the two types that are neutral (Electric and Water) are rather strong attacking options. Fairy-type attacks will be fine, in my opinion, as an okay STAB option like Grass, but when fearsome sweepers start running moves like "Sparkle Dance" or whatever as primary coverage is when it'll get really bad. This is especially worrisome given that Gamefreak is introducing the type to balance the charts, so giving Steel another resist is anything but certain, but all too necessary in my eyes.

Also of note is that it's amusing (and disappointing) that Gamefreak chooses Dragon to nerf, while ignoring the much more potent force of weather. My guess is that amongst casual gamers, spamming Outrage off huge base attacks is the most common and potent strategy, as most of them, I presume, have little time or interest in looking into and exploiting the enormous potential of the boosting weathers. With Dragons, the cornerstone of weatherless HO and key resisters of both Fire- AND Water-type moves, getting nerfed, we could potentially see weather getting even more centralizing in Gen 6. Way too early to tell, of course.
  4. Relinq

Relinq

Yeah I'm really hoping Fairy isn't going to be immune to Dragon, especially as I can see Fairy/Ghost being a type...

• Talonflame...., the name.., why don't GF just stick with the Japanese names more? Fiarrow would have been so much better. Always the english names that are letdowns, it's not like English has a small vocabulary..
    • kinda offtopic: I'm wondering also... if they're going to try and have combination attacks or moves again? they sorta started with B/W with pledge moves but that was it.

God I hope so, that would be wicked.
  5. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf

I do hope my calculations are correct, but if Fairy-type is super effective against both Dark and Dragon, the damage output of a Level 50 Gardevoir against a level 50 Hydreigon with a 60 BP move is between
    186,76(189) and 373,5(373), whereas when it is only super effective against Dragon it is between
    65,4(65) and 130,8(131).

The damage output is in the trailer is 96(152 full HP reduces to 56). The trailer doesn't show Gardevoir's level, so it is probably a lot more weaker, and Fairy Wind might be a weaker move, but there's this.

Edit: Scratch this, I haven't took the random numbers in the equation(I took max-min possible values in equation though). Is there a simple damage calculator that can account for hypothetical types?

Edit 2: Okay here's the real deal;
    Max value for Focus Blast is 206-244, and min value is 68-82. If we multiply this by 1.5, we get 309-366 and 102-123. If we multiply this by 0.75 we get 154,5(154)-183 and 51-61,5.

I used this damage calculator btw.
  6. Charro

Charro

I fail to see why you guys think that Fairy being immune to Dragon is broken. Seriously we have a few immunities already. Dragon types NEED a nerf, their offense is too good, adding an immunity to them will add A LOT more strategy and it will increase the viability of so many other pokémon. Besides, it's not like Wigglytuff will suddendly jump to OU just for being immune to Dragon, or else Spiritomb would be Uber just for having no weaknesses.
  7. Infernis

Infernis

It also depends on the EVs and natures of the Pokemon in question, and also upon a damage formula that we have not yet mastered.
  8. Sgt.Moose

Sgt.Moose

It seems the seahorse-thingy wasn't Inkay. Well, whatever.
  9. Mr Omgness

Mr Omgness

With Fairy-Type now revealed and confirmed to be Sylveon's type do you think we will get a counterpart to it? Meaning we would get a Dragon or Poison Eeveelution? Dragon seems a bit out of the way because it would be hard to make a design for it but a Poisonous Eeveelution wouldnt be too hard to make.

On the Anime: I can see Ash catching all 3 starters again, or maybe one of the starters is a poke for one of his travel buddies. My money is also on Fletchling (mandatory bird) and Clauncher (another buddy for Kingler and Corphish). So we pretty much got Ash his team already. I wouldnt be surprised either if he catches a Fairy-type too.
  10. The Last Sheikah

The Last Sheikah

Sounds like Earthbound; fighting five enemies who you can only KO one at a time, who each attack you once per turn.
    That was... horrible...
  11. Cobraroll

Cobraroll
    is a Community Contributor

To my knowledge, this hasn't been posted yet:

[​IMG]
    From Serebii

I count several different hats/headgear (among them one looking slightly like a Chespin), and at least two skin colours (the two very dark at the bottom appear to be "greyed out"). Now, we know from earlier that there will be at least three skin colours, but the variety of hats and hair styles was a nice surprise.

Again, I wonder if the sunglasses will be of any significance? There are several characters shown without them in this picture, after all, but they are present in all artwork of the playable characters.
  12. Asbestospoison

Asbestospoison

Am I reading serebii right? Fletchlings evolution looks really cool, but seriously, talonflame? Thank god for nicknames. I actually like Clauncher and Skrelp, both in name and in appearance.
  13. NoahStar

NoahStar

For those of you who are complaining about the Fairy Type (specifically, its name), please read this and try to think of what a true fairy is.

http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Fairies_and_the_Fairy_Type

If you think of the actual definition and lore of fairies--most of which are humanoid magical creatures but can also be classified as magical beasts such as unicorns and even dragons--you'll see that the actual term Fairy by Pokemon standards will mean magical creature.

So consider the Fairy Type to be more along the lines of 'Magical Type' or 'Mystical Type'.

Also assuming that Fairy Type hits steel types for normal damage (I've heard that it will be super effective to steel), lets take a moment to realize that Fairy/Dragon will become the new BoltBeam or Dark/Fighting in terms of amazingly perfect coverage.
  14. TheKAM1993

TheKAM1993

Because we have a Pokemon named Fearow and that would cause confusion.
  15. Spork

Spork

Fairy-type is awesome. You guise are heartless.

I wanted Fletchling to evolve into something cuter tbh :/
  16. Coronis

Coronis Backie Jerkhart
    is a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

iirc, you find different clothes, hats, sunglasses etc. throughout your journey.
  17. mattj

mattj blatant Nintendo fanboy

[​IMG]

because it's a flaming hawk and hawks are known for their talons

seems pretty reasonable to me
  18. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf

Looks like we are getting Corocoro
    [​IMG]

How do you make the spoiler tags here?
  19. Spork

Spork

Totally reasonable, I dunno what everyone is complaining about.

Everyone totally loved Splashtooth.

[​IMG]
  20. Spork

Spork

Gothorita themed :OOOO
  21. TheKAM1993

TheKAM1993

That better not be a person with an orange afro next to her -_-
  22. Cinccino

Cinccino

OMG dem hotpants...
  23. Blazi

Blazi

Nice catch, didn't notice that. Perhaps a Gothorita male split-evo in Gen VI, just like Kirlia in Gen IV?
  24. Iamlegendshot66

Iamlegendshot66

How is it Gothorita themed? The person looks nothing like a Gothorita.
  25. Spork

Spork

Hair, bows.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)