1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokémon XY General Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Community Contributor

Yeah, exactly. Attacks consisting of two consecutive moves in one turn, one being of type X, the other of type Y.

Also, concerning rideable Pokémon: I think it looks like some areas will have rideable Pokémon permanently stationed in them. A Gogoat in Lumiose City, a Rhyhorn somewhere in the mountains, a Lapras on the rivers, etc. Those will not be your own Pokémon (as in, you can't use them for battle. Might be you're given ownership over one or two, though), they can not be removed from the area, and they will be the only ones available for riding. Think of it like the tag partners in various areas in BW2 or the Stat trainers from D/P. Your partner is exclusive to the area, can not be removed from it, but will follow you around within the area.
    You'd be able to mount the rideable Pokémon and get around the area, possibly reaching some hidden places that can't be accessed otherwise, or participating in minigames. However, you won't be able to use them riding from town to town throughout Kalos. That being said, it might be GameFreak wants to expand on the concept in the future (as in Amity Square -> HGSS, concerning walking Pokémon).
  2. Lou Cypher

Lou Cypher

With the double-type-attacks confirmed, can we spare a thought for poor Parasect?

Talonflame uses Flame Charge - Flying/Fire, defining characteristic is its speed

Flying AND Fire against a Pokemon thats 4x weak to both.
    Now add Sunlight, and you cripple poor Parasect even more...
  3. BreakMyFate

BreakMyFate

The double type attacks are just going to make everything more complicated. I mean how much STAB would you add to flame charge if the pokemon is Fire/ Flying???
  4. Shiruba

Shiruba

uh... well, maybe 2x for STAB instead of 1.5x? like an adaptability boost?

[oh fuck adaptability flametalon + flame charge = base 200 power & + 1 spd]
  5. BreakMyFate

BreakMyFate

So flame charges power would be 120 with a speed boost? That sounds highly unlikely. I assume it'll stay at 1.5 it'll just get more coverage.

or 100.. not sure if flame charge if 50 base power or 60
  6. blitzlefan

blitzlefan shake it off!

Wait are dual-type moves actually confirmed? Can anyone provide a link?
  7. Zentrius

Zentrius

Please ddon't tell me the dual-type moves got confirmed.
  8. matts10

matts10

If Fairy is super effective against Dragon and Dark , and immune to Dragon, doesn't that make Xerneas's Fairy stab 4x effective against Yveltal? If Xerneas is Fairy/Psychic and Yveltal is Dragon/Dark of course. Yveltal would only be able to hit back with 2x effective Dark attacks, assuming Fairy's only resistance is Dragon.

Seems to me Xerneas will be def. inclined and Yveltal will be an offensive beast so that it evens out
  9. matts10

matts10

Also, if Fairy is immune to Dragon, I can see Gardevoir going to OU, with it's weakneses being Dark, Bug, Steel. Come in on a dragon type locked into outrage, force it out, and then Calm Mind on the switch or hit the incoming Steel or Dark type with Focus Blast and dent it.
  10. Shiruba

Shiruba

yeah, it's base 50.

and aww, that's no fun. i ran a calc on a theoretical attack like that under max possible damage [sun, crit, choice band, helping hand, max attack ivs and investment {assuming it's base 100 attack} with adamant nature, against a dry skin level 1 paras with no ivs or evs and a hasty nature]

+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability (custom) Helping Hand (Move 1) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Dry Skin (custom) in sun on a critical hit: 1576600-1854832 (14332727.27 - 16862109.09%) -- guaranteed OHKO on 143327 - 168621 paras under those specifications [though probably more considering the adaptability boost would probably apply to both the flying and fire stabs though i'm not sure how i'd calc that]

idk it's no shuckle but it's not bad

EDIT how could i forget about ho-oh

+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Ho-Oh Helping Hand (custom) vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Dry Skin (custom) in sun on a critical hit: 1893848-2228064 (17216800 - 20255127.27%) -- guaranteed OHKO on 172168 - 202551 identical paras

ho-oh destroyer of worlds w/ lowly 50 base power move on an estimate that is guaranteed too low. though obviously this situation would pretty much never happen it'd be a holy shit moment and i don't think a dual type move would work like this lol.
  11. Grammar Xatu

Grammar Xatu

They have NOT been confirmed. Neither pokebeach or serebii has mentioned anything.
  12. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

WE also know nothing about how the things would work
    at all

there's several ways to do it
  13. Grammar Xatu

Grammar Xatu

They are rushing to finish this game do you think they would put in a major game changer like that?
  14. Aasgier

Aasgier

I'm assuming they don't let 16× effective attacks happen.

If anything, they make attacks that have split BP, and that will be my guess.
    To give an example with an existing move, I can see Scald hitting for 50 damage on the Water type and 30 damage on the Fire type.
    That means Emboar using Scald hits with a base 95 attack, STAB factored in.

If Emboar attacks a Grass/Bug (w/o factoring in abilities) with said Scald, it will hit with 50 × 0.5 + (30 × 1.5) × 4 = 205 BP.

252 SpA Emboar (205 BP Hyper Beam) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Leavanny: 249-294 (85.27 - 100.68%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

No, things would not get out of hand I assume.

Just think things through to see how it work, but brokenness can easily be avoided as you see. Of the older moves, I can only see Blaze Kick and Heat Wave gaining a split damage (but Heat Wave's damage output against most Grass- or Bug-type wouldn't change at all since those types are weak to both Fire and Flying, whereas for Blaze Kick the same logic goes (but then for (most) Steels).
  15. R_N

R_N

what implies they're "rushing to finish it" and also what implies that something like dual type attacks wouldn't have been added by now

the rumors are from january/february, at the very least
  16. Grammar Xatu

Grammar Xatu

Those 4chan rumours that were proven false by the guy that made them?
  17. R_N

R_N

the pokebeach rumors we've been discussing for pages

the ones with confirmed information that helps validate them
  18. Shiruba

Shiruba

lol i'll just post more of these then woo

virtual console is on 3ds, too, though... he might be dodging the question again idk.
  19. Grammar Xatu

Grammar Xatu

Found it, saying a few attacks are dual typed. Very open, could mean anything. That just seems like it would completely change the metagame overnight. I could see it next gen maybe but there already a new type that will change things plenty.
  20. j-squared

j-squared

Ehh, it's still hard to believe everything from the Pokebeach source. Didn't he say that Fairy was SE against fighting? Didn't Sylveon get beat up by a fighting guy in Pokemon Smash? Kind of a contradiction right there...

No doubt there is lots of true info in his rumors, but it hasn't been 100% right, so it's hard to tell what rumors are true at this point in time.
  21. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Community Contributor

I doubt any existing attacks would be retconned to be dual typed. I think instead, new attacks would attack with two move types in the same turn.

For instance, consider a move that sprays the foe with water, and then freezes it. It's a 60 BP move, first having a 30 BP hit as a Water attack, then the next hit is like a 30 BP Ice attack. If a Water Pokémon uses this attack, it will get STAB only on the first hit, making the total damage output 30*1.5 + 30 = 75. If the user is Water/Ice or Ice/Water, it will get STAB on both hits. The Water part of the move would be boosted in Rain, the Ice part wouldn't. Effectively, it is identical to using two different moves in quick succession. I see this as the most logical way to implement dual type attacks.
  22. Cinccino

Cinccino

Um, Scizor is already everywhere and will rise even more if fairy is actually weak to Steel. Bulky Fairy-type with Eeveelution statspread won't like taking Bullet Punch, let alone Gardevoir so it isn't gonna be that easy.
  23. Professor Birch

Professor Birch

Also, the unofficial type chart somebody posted said that Fairy is SE against Fighting so we don't really know yet. I rather not speculate and just wait to see what is actually confirmed before I get my hopes up. For the Dual-Typed Attacks, that would be a horrible idea and they better NOT implement that. I shall be quite made if it is indeed added. Only time can tell.....
  24. Champion Steve

Champion Steve

Well, I believe Sylveon was thrown in a metal trash can in that bit, so I don't know. I think that bit was just to prove it wasn't Flying
  25. jynx

jynx

My wild guess for the evil team thing is that--
    since they said that we can get rivals/ friends based on the real life people, I guess he means that if some of them decides to be bad, then they become like your evil team? (Like the gang of meanies in your own school...)

A really wild guess though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)