Pokémon XY General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
That wasn't even close to 45 degrees.
Even so, these games are going to be on the 3DS. There's no reason not to get rid of the grid system with the 3DS's circle pad around. Serebii.net also noticed the diagonal movement!

This is a good thing Imo :)

So I'm guessing at some point the protagonist that you didn't choose for yourself follows you and has a few attire modifications? Look here:

http://www.pokemonxy.com/_ui/img/_en/screenshots/may_supp_p3_5.jpg

http://www.pokemonxy.com/_ui/img/_en/screenshots/may_p3_4.jpg

That IS the Heroine in both pics, correct? One just has her hat off.
I think the one in the forest is a trainer, a Lass to be specific. Her hair is in a ponytail as opposed to the heroine's hair being down. But I wouldn't be surprised if we do run into the opposite hero at some point in the game!

Edit: Ohhh the other female in the forest is who you're talking about. I'm not sure then, that's a good observation!

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Did everyone see that Parting shot reduces both of the defending Pokemon's attack stats? Are there any opinions on it's utility?
As long as shit like Landorus-T doesn't get it, we're fine. Assuming it's a Dark-type move that as some Fighting-type distribution, (playing off the bad sportsmanship theme of the move) we should be alright since I can guarantee that the Justice League of Fighting-types over 85 Base Speed won't get it. It'll mostly be Dark-types doing the switching.

Best case scenario: Specs Zoroark and Weavile can join in on the U-Turn fun.

Worst case scenario: Gengar gets it. Yeah. Imagine THAT shit. And the worst part is that the move completely fits Gengar aesthetically...and you thought Disable was annoying.

The direction of his face certainly doesn't match that idea. But if the tiles were tiny, that could work for his movement path I guess, since we don't see him move for very long after the turn. But then they wouldn't match the size of the grass patches. Besides, surely GF sees a gridded movement system would be pointless and hated in a 3D game.
Yes, it does. The camera moves in front of him to keep his face as close to front-and-center as it can. The tiles only have to be big enough to give them ample space around their feet, and I feel the space for each tile was shown when the girl was walking past the car. The grass that was modeled expands outside of the square, just like like it did in BW, so the tile that holds the patch is probably the size of the dark green part in the middle of each patch. Finally, I don't think that GF would see that YOU don't see the utility in a grid-based movement system, but that kind of commentary isn't going to change anyone's opinions.

Yes, it does. The camera moves in front of him to keep his face as close to front-and-center as it can. The tiles only have to be big enough to give them ample space around their feet, and I feel the space for each tile was shown when the girl was walking past the car. The grass that was modeled expands outside of the square, just like like it did in BW, so the tile that holds the patch is probably the size of the dark green part in the middle of each patch. Finally, I don't think that GF would see that YOU don't see the utility in a grid-based movement system, but that kind of commentary isn't going to change anyone's opinions.
Alrighty. We'll see who ends up being right. And don't kid yourself, nobody wants grid movement in x/y. Not even you. Search your heart, you know this to be true...

And BlazeStar, nice find. That basically confirms the other gender option will be a character, and the hat can be taken off.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Alrighty. We'll see who ends up being right. And don't kid yourself, nobody wants grid movement in x/y. Not even you. Search your heart, you know this to be true...
No grid means no ice puzzle!
Pokemon XY: 1/10. Would not play.

Also Colosseum/XD's movement system was garbage btw. Grid-less Pokemon is horrible. I'm much more up for this Animal Crossing-style of play. For year's I've just wanted to run in a circle. Not a square. A Circle. No major gameplay changes. Just a circle. Finally, my dreams are coming true!

I think the one in the forest is a trainer, a Lass to be specific. Her hair is in a ponytail as opposed to the heroine's hair being down. But I wouldn't be surprised if we do run into the opposite hero at some point in the game!

Edit: Ohhh the other female in the forest is who you're talking about. I'm not sure then, that's a good observation!
Yep, looking at it carefully everything matches up. The girl that's by herself away from the Hero and the 2 other girls in this picture is certainly the Heroine:

http://www.pokemonxy.com/_ui/img/_en/screenshots/may_supp_p3_5.jpg

I'm thinking maybe "dual typed moves" Might be a multi-hit move and each hit is calculated as a different type? So Rock/Ground attack would completely miss a flying type for half of the attack but the other hit would do double damage. Just thinking aloud here...

No grid means no ice puzzle!
Pokemon XY: 1/10. Would not play.

Also Colosseum/XD's movement system was garbage btw. Grid-less Pokemon is horrible. I'm much more up for this Animal Crossing-style of play. For year's I've just wanted to run in a circle. Not a square. A Circle. No major gameplay changes. Just a circle. Finally, my dreams are coming true!
o_O You can have ice puzzles without moving in a grid. Look at Zelda.

I had no problem with colosseum/xd's movement, and free movement doesn't automatically mean theirs anyway.

It sounds like you'd rather run in an octagon than a circle...

And BlazeStar, nice find. That basically confirms the other gender option will be a character, and the hat can be taken off.
I understand that you like to perform all manner of mental excercises to convince yourself so heavily that the things you want are factual, but that doesn't give you the right to downplay everyone elses thoughts that don't match up with yours. Your movie reference is also too weak to be taken seriously, and if you really thought that it would be worth waiting to see how this one mechanic would play out in-game, then what was the point of looking to point out where my opinion is invalidated? From my point of view, the addition/lack of freeform movement is unlikely to effect the thrill of playing a Pokemon game. If it is grid-based, then they're really good at using camera tricks to make the movement look more natural, and if it was freeform, then the camera probably wouldn't follow the character so religiously, but slow in to the front/back side of the character like it does in most 3D console games.
I don't really care what they do, but for now it looks to be a certain way to me, and unlike you, I'm not pushing my thoughts on anyone unless the reader wishes to believe I'm trying to enforce something. That is all.

Although Dual-type moves are still a rumor and haven't officially been confirmed(Although everything that source to Pokebeach said was true so far), I still can't help but to think how scary Fire Punch will become to my favorite Pokemon of 5th gen, Ferrothorn.
Imagine if it's now Fire and Fighting?
The whole metagame will change...

I understand that you like to perform all manner of mental excercises to convince yourself so heavily that the things you want are factual, but that doesn't give you the right to downplay everyone elses thoughts that don't match up with yours. Your movie reference is also too weak to be taken seriously, and if you really thought that it would be worth waiting to see how this one mechanic would play out in-game, then what was the point of looking to point out where my opinion is invalidated? From my point of view, the addition/lack of freeform movement is unlikely to effect the thrill of playing a Pokemon game. If it is grid-based, then they're really good at using camera tricks to make the movement look more natural, and if it was freeform, then the camera probably wouldn't follow the character so religiously, but slow in to the front/back side of the character like it does in most 3D console games.
I don't really care what they do, but for now it looks to be a certain way to me, and unlike you, I'm not pushing my thoughts on anyone unless the reader wishes to believe I'm trying to enforce something. That is all.
Holy fuck. Here's a social lesson for you: when sombody says something in an absolute way (ie "nobody wants a grid movement system"), that doesn't actually mean they think it's a fact. And it certainly doesn't mean they are trying to make everyone agree with them. Perhaps I should have pointed that out to you a long time ago. It would have avoided many off-topic arguments with you that make the mods angry.

I'm sorry I'm just not on board with dual-type moves existing at all. I don't care who said what and was right so far. It's gonna take something more substantial than that for me to be reeled in. Same with the ridiculous new type claims.

I understand that you like to perform all manner of mental excercises to convince yourself so heavily that the things you want are factual, but that doesn't give you the right to downplay everyone elses thoughts that don't match up with yours.
THAT'S YOU

THAT IS EXACTLY YOU

e: well really any of you but still
when you write a long post saying someone else is going through mental gymnastics to say they're right maybe look in the mirror because you're probably doing it too

Back to that uber enlarged pic of the new dex, I really don't think it could be hariyama. While it might look like his hand a little, that means the rest of his sprite would have to be much too big, and off centered in the tile it's in

Back to that uber enlarged pic of the new dex, I really don't think it could be hariyama. While it might look like his hand a little, that means the rest of his sprite would have to be much too big, and off centered in the tile it's in
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It also still looks kind of green to me compared to the zigzagoon's tan.

As you can see by the image, the new icon sprites have been revamped (comparing old ziggy to new ziggy). This means that the mystery sprite could possibly be Pidgey, and they simply revamped it to match it's color better (the actual sprite has the tan color like the mystery sprite does, as compared to the white in the current icon sprite)

So yeah, I'm with R_N on this, I think it's just a pidgey.
I don't think it's Pidgey...maybe another bird? Spearow?

Sorry I haven't been on the thread much, I've been afraid to post here as I don't know what speculation is actually allowed to post. But since I'm here, could someone give me a quick overview of what on the new stuff has been discussed, and maybe tell me what said below has already been discussed? I don't want to repeat anything, but I have noticed these few things (tell me what's been said):

1. The region seems to have 15 or more towns, and, since the region is supposed to be HUGE, and whereas Unova was primarily cities, could this mean we have 10 or 12 gyms in this region?
  2. The land seems to be dominated with rivers, and I don't think we've ever dealt with rivers much before. Thoughts on that?
  3. There was a guy (who's probably been mentioned) who said the names of the new pokemon on PokeBeach and turned out to be write. Have people talked about his other rumors and how likely they are, or has this not been brought up? (Rumors were fairy type exists along with retype of mawile and effectiveness, dual-type moves, levitate and fly only battles, starter final evos being a NON-reverse type triangle, mewtwo having more forms, and an easier way to deal with and check EVs)
  4. In one of the pictures, the character seems to be moving diagonally
  5. The two new moves and how they may effect the metagame (not sure if this belongs in the thread)
  6. Definitions of the starters in regards to anything related to evolutions
  7. I totally called that Gogoat would still be called Gogoat in english
  8. Zigzagoon is now confirmed to be in the game (did ANYONE else notice this?)

Yveltal? Naru?
I really want to get back into the thread.

EDIT:
On dual-type, a way I could see them doing it that wouldn't break things would be:
Take a 60 power move called burning bolt, fire/electric, attacked by a fire type onto a water type pokemon
It would do 30 power super effective non-STAB damage + 30 power not very effective STAB damage (half of one attack, half of another)
No way it could be broken, if anything it would be a hinderance. Only gives a chance for greater coverage but less damage on some things.

Dual-type moves just seem kind of messy to me. I guess they could make it so that if only one of the types is super effective, it gets a 50% boost rather than a 100% boost. Similarly, if only one of the types is not very effective, it would result in a 25% reduction rather than a 50% reduction. If the two types conflict in effectiveness, it would probably just even out. When paired with dual-typings, this creates a dizzying array of possibilities.

An alternative, suggested by Count Bleck, is that moves could have multiple hits, with each hit having a different type. For example, Eruption might have a fire attack followed by a rock or ground attack. In this case, the first attack might even be physical, while the second is special. This seems plausible, but I doubt that such moves would be terribly practical.

And in regard to the arguing, I have only this to say. Pokemon is clearly a game designed for sophisticated and intelligent men and women with adult tastes. I am sure that Game Freak, whose opinions we all hold so dearly in our hearts, would expect that its target audience be capable of conducting civil discourse on the matter of their Pocket Monsters.

Also, anyone else getting a feeling the top right cloudy area is victory road? Or the top middle of the star?

Or maybe they'll do something totally different. Maybe the tower at the middle of Lumiose City is "victory road." You wouldn't get to be in there until you have all the badges, and then you go up a tower, which would be victory road, only to arrive at the top where the elite four reside, watching over the city, and then you can fly there any time.

I do think this is very unlikely and baseless speculation (so maybe doesn't belong here), but it's something I've always wanted them to do. No more long caves, and something actually in an interesting, accessible place that doesn't set the strongest trainers far away from everyone else, and would allow the elite to have some more integration into the story.

Well, the north still looks like the starting town to me. Also, I just noticed there's an illusion of half of a pokeball in that town.

The cloudy area and the castle are definitely significant (maybe one for the evil team, and one for the elite four).

And shockwave, 1, 2, and 6 you listed haven't really been discussed. Basically everything else has been though.

If some moves get redone for Dual-typing, shouldn't Scald be Water/Fire?

I can only imagine how that would benefit a few Pokemon and change the outcome of some battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)