1. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokéstar/Pokéwood Studios Discussion

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by GRs Cousin, Aug 4, 2012.

1. GRs Cousin

GRs Cousin

Anyone remember Pokemon Contests? Those things where you force your poor Pokemon to ridicule themselves on stage in silly outfits as they dance? What about Pokemon Musicals? Anyone seriously enjoyed that? No? Good.

The upcoming Movies coming up in B2W2 seem like a really interesting change of pace, especially due to how it's reminiscent of the Battle Sims from Pokemon XD in that they're puzzling scenarios rather than straight up battles. In addition, the studio features new "Non-Mons". To list the new non-mons, we have:

Show Hide
    (All with entirely 100 base stat spreads)

Brycenman
    Type: Dark/Psychic
    Ability: Levitate
    Movepool
    Ice Beam
    Night Shade
    Psychic
    U-turn

UFO (Set U1)
    Type: Flying/Electric
    Movepool
    Bubblebeam
    Counter
    Recover
    Signal Beam

UFO (Set U2)
    Type: Psychic/Electric
    Movepool
    Dark Pulse
    Flamethrower
    Hyper Beam
    Ice Beam

Tyranitar Mech (Set M1)
    Type: Steel
    Ability: Analytic
    Movepool
    Earthquake
    Iron Head
    Spark
    Surf

Tyranitar Mech (Set M2)
    Type: Steel/Electric
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Movepool
    Dragon Pulse
    Flamethrower
    Metal Burst
    Thunderbolt

Time Machine
    Type: Steel
    Ability: Motor Drive
    Movepool
    Clear Smog
    Discharge
    Flame Burst
    Icicle Crash
    Overheat
    Signal Beam

BlackBelt
    Type: Fighting
    Ability: Huge Power
    Movepool
    Focus Punch
    Hammer Arm
    Jump Kick
    Mach Punch
    Taunt

Black Door
    Type: Grass
    Ability: Early Bird
    Movepool
    Amnesia
    Baton Pass
    Counter
    Flame Charge
    Ingrain
    Lucky Chant
    Rest
    Toxic

White Door
    Type: Fire
    Ability: Blaze
    Movepool
    Baton Pass
    Inferno
    Mirror Coat
    Toxic

Monica
    Type: Normal
    Ability: Huge Power
    Movepool
    Crush Grip
    Doubleslap
    Focus Punch
    Growl
    Rage
    Stomp
    Teeter Dance

Doll
    Type: Normal
    Ability: Insomnia
    Movepool
    Acid
    Dark Pulse
    Double-Edge
    Ice Punch
    Night Slash
    Rock Slide
    Scratch
    Shadow Claw
    Slash
    Thunderpunch

Monster
    Type: Dark
    Ability: Pressure
    Movepool
    Dark Pulse
    Psychic

F-00
    Type: Steel/Normal
    Ability: Volt Absorb
    Movepool
    Chatter
    Defense Curl
    Head Smash
    Flail
    Growl
    Hammer Arm
    Headbutt
    Iron Head
    Needle Arm
    Perish Song
    Rage
    Teeter Dance

Rogue F-00
    Type: Steel/Normal
    Ability: Reckless
    Movepool
    Flare Blitz
    Iron Head
    Psychic
    Wild Charge

Demon
    Type: Dark/Ghost
    Ability: Wonder Guard
    Movepool
    Crunch
    Dual Chop
    Slack Off
    Swords Dance

The fact that Gamefreak is making non-mons like these is real interesting to me. It really shows they're trying to make Pokewood stand out amongst the other side activities found in Generation IV and V. Who knows, maybe we can expect story-driven non-mons in future main series titles?

EDIT: I found this video on Youtube showcasing every Non-mon in battle as well as their cries.
  2. ANinyMouse

ANinyMouse

Yeah, honestly, I think I'm actually going to complete all the Pokestar movies. I don't think I've ever given a decent shot to any of the similar side quests since raising my Milotic in Sapphire.

Unlike the contests and musicals, I'd really like to see the movies come back in Gen 6.
  3. goldursaring

goldursaring

Contests, dancing, jumping and musical are things I could care less for. The only thing about beauty that I cared for was evolving Feebas, and fortunately they've spared us that pain and given us a new way to do so.

The movies seem cool, they've got some genuine opponents in the non-mons and a pretty nifty reward with the new sparkle animation.
  4. Level 51

Level 51 by far the worst
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Ugh, the only reason I did the Contests/Musicals was for the trainer star, but I genuinely want to try this out. Seems not bad for once.
    But really, Bubblebeam on U1? That totally makes sense.
    The sparkle's pretty nifty as well I guess, gj gamefreak
  5. keleyeemoh

keleyeemoh

Two things:

1) What is this "double headbutt" in F-00's movepool?

2) Demon looks amazing. WonderTomb with base 100 stats? Why can't I use him?
  6. TM13IceBeam

TM13IceBeam

7. GRs Cousin

GRs Cousin

1) According to Serebii.net, the second scene fighting F-00 apparently has it include "Double Headbutt" in its moveset. I've done some research, and apparently that was a move in the Pokemon TCG. Doesn't explain why it's there though. It's either a complete mistranslation on Serebii's part, or a brand new move exclusive to F-00. Probably the former, I guess.

2) Because then it will be obligated to follow a Pokestar contract, of which burdens it with the Slow Start ability instead of Wonder Guard due to many competitive battles conflicting with its schedule.
  8. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

It might be Head Smash (Double-edged Headbutt) since it'd be weird for this one single Robot to have a unique move
  9. Zowayix

Zowayix

It shouldn't be too hard to hack the game to use him; literally the only problem is that it has no Pokedex data, so hacking it as a wild Pokemon and catching it crashes the game. Editing it directly into the party should work, although I have no idea how.
  10. GRs Cousin

GRs Cousin

You know, that might be it actually. It wouldn't be out of the question for F-00 to know Head Smash. I'll fix the OP to list that instead.

Anyone else puzzled over how this thing uses Needle Arm and Defense Curl?

I think it's less about the Pokedex data and more about the fact that it has no back-sprite. I mean, unless I'm mistaken, the game will try to fill the back sprite with placeholder data, which can easily mean complete glitchmon graphics and... Yeah... That doesn't turn out well.
  11. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Technically the game doesn't even give them actual movesets. All the videos I've seen of them in the wild have only had struggle.
    I guess Pokewood, specifically, fills out their battle moves based on the movie.
  12. Nokocchi

Nokocchi

Actually, they all know pound. I have an Action Replay AND an imported White 2, so I know first-hand.

The problem is not the backsprites being non-existent, as it doesn't cause the game to crash when you choose it out, but rather the game turns anything with a number higher than 649 into an Egg that hatches into another Egg with each step. Take a step forward, turns into an egg. Look at its stats, turns into an egg. Use it in battle, turns it into an egg afterwards. So far the only ways to put them in your party is to edit them as your starter or as a fossil, as neither pull up the Pokedex. Someone on a hacking forum I go to made a code to stop the egg from hatching with each step, but no one has bothered making codes for the checks that make it an Egg in the first place. There are most likely even more checks besides the three I mentioned, so this shows that GameFreak has done everything possible to prevent you from using these Non-mons

It should be noted that if you place them into a PC without looking at their stats(With a pull-up-a-PC-anywhere code, as taking a step will turn them into an Egg), they'll stay in their unstable forms as long as you don't withdraw them. They're incompatible with TMs and Move Tutors, so outside of a move editing code, they only have Pound.

Also, Anything with the Imposter Ability of having Transform in their current moveset isn't allowed to participate in Pokewood. So you can't transform into them. As such, it's impossible without cheating to get a Ditto with the special shine.

If you want to, you can add any of this to the original post
  13. Zowayix

Zowayix

I had no idea that there were checks in place if you had the non-mons in your party. I've seen videos of people battling with them, but it was never mentioned that they would turn into an Egg afterwards.

Also interesting that Transform and Imposter are banned from Pokestar Studios. I figured Game Freak would need to do that if they were to use these non-mons there. But you can technically get a "legit" Ditto with the shine through the Japanese D/P Mimic glitch, by teaching it moves other than Transform.
  14. StallMandibuzz

StallMandibuzz

This Pokèwood thing looks pretty interesting, to be honest. Brycen and Sabrina make appearances as villains, and the non-Mons look tough. :3 Out of all of these side games, I liked Pokèmon Contests in Hoenn the best. But Pokèwood actually looks fun.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)