Poke-Habits

If I do multiple playthroughs of the same Pokemon game (or pair of games), I'll do my best to avoid using the same Pokemon as before (starters don't count in this restriction).

That being said, it's sometimes too difficult to avoid using certain Pokemon, such as the early-game bird (e.g. Starly in all the Gen IV saves I had, or Taillow in the RSE saves except the last one... where I used Wingull for a second time) but I still try nonetheless.
Yep, this is me as well. It always causes me a bit of a headache on replays, but I insist on doing it anyways....for some reason.

Another one I have: I always get the first of the paired games. First B2, then X, and then Omega Ruby. Planning to go for Sun once it comes out.
If I do multiple playthroughs of the same Pokemon game (or pair of games), I'll do my best to avoid using the same Pokemon as before (starters don't count in this restriction).

That being said, it's sometimes too difficult to avoid using certain Pokemon, such as the early-game bird (e.g. Starly in all the Gen IV saves I had, or Taillow in the RSE saves except the last one... where I used Wingull for a second time) but I still try nonetheless.
Yeah, this is me. I actually avoided catching Fletchling in my latest X play through for Pidgey, but I couldn't pass up the Aerodactyl I lucked into.

Also in B2, I avoided taking Magby or Magnemite, instead getting a Growlithe.

I tend to make really really bad puns or references with my Pokemon nicknames. Example: Reggie the Charizard, because in my head he carries weight among my collection and his body is ready.

Teresa the Bisharp: A female bishop is a nun, and the most famous nun was Mother Teresa.

Etc, etc.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I tend to make really really bad puns or references with my Pokemon nicknames. Example: Reggie the Charizard, because in my head he carries weight among my collection and his body is ready.

Teresa the Bisharp: A female bishop is a nun, and the most famous nun was Mother Teresa.

Etc, etc.
If you think those are bad you haven't watched a Chuggaaconroy Pokemon playthrough, or TeamFourStar, or honestly any other Youtuber with a Pokemon playthrough.

Another one I have: I always get the first of the paired games. First B2, then X, and then Omega Ruby. Planning to go for Sun once it comes out.
And since W1, I always main the second of the pair, after maining the first from Red through HG. The one exception is B2, because I wanted Kyurem-B over Kyurem-W.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
A very bad habit I have is nuzlocking the game no matter what :(. Once I get Moon I'll try not to haha.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I have this really weird habit of switching between Pokémon that I really like. First it was Lucario, then Dusknoir, then some other Pokémon, etc. It's weird because I still like the Pokémon after I switch to another one, just not as much.
That's sort of how I felt playing through Moon. I get a core team together but than a new Pokemon I want in my party comes along and I have to decide whether to use it or keep the team I have. The one I for me that stick out the most was boxing my Ribombee for Mimikyu, both were Fairy-types and so far my team were all different types and I wanted it to stay that way. I would have also liked to have tried out a Salandit/Salazzle but I already had my Fire-type Starter. Thinking about it I probably should have gone with Popplio as my Starter as there was no new Water-types I was interested in, my Water-type was Staryu/Starmie. But I'm #TeamFireStarter for life (which I guess that's how I ended up using Delphox, Charizard, and Blaziken in my Y version playthrough, lol) so I just had to go with Litten.

New Poke-Habit: Hey, all Incineroar users out there... do you also keep forgetting it's Fire/Dark and not Fire/Fighting? I guess I'm so used to Fire/Fighting starters (and it's appearance doesn't help) that when I'm switching a Pokemon in I keep accidentally thinking Incineroar is a Fire/Fighting.

*Opponent is a Psychic-type*
Let's see who to send out, Incineroar is weak to Psychic, go Mimikyu! Ghost is super effective against Psychic... like Dark... which Incineroar is *facepalm*

OR

*Opponent is a Fighting-type*
Let's go mano a mano, Incineroar show it your Fighting skill.
*Selects to do a move and see Darkest Lariat*
AH! I FORGOT YOUR A DARK-TYPE! SWITCH! SWITCH!
*Sends in Mimikyu to absorb the hit*

I have always done my best to distribute levels as well as HMs among my pokemon as evenly as possible. the exception being Gyarados (my favorite Pokemon) who could actually carry an effective set with Waterfall/Strength/Surf and Dive/DD/Rock Smash for the last slot, depending on the game.

If I know I'm getting a new game, or going to be replaying one (I'll do this when I get Moon, as I have Sun) I will obsessively craft a perfect in game team. I will save before each egg hatches to make sure it has 5 perfect IVs, trade it to the new game, hatch it, then trade it back and EV train it (Power Training, Pelago) in a passive way - even though you obviously don't need perfect mons to run through a game.

In the 6th gen games I finally picked up the habit of catching EVERYTHING available on a particular route as I went through. I had been getting the new games, playing through once, and putting them down since HG/SS and I wanted to extend the playtime to avoid the burnout. Its worked really well and so far Sun is the first game I've ever actually completed the Dex in! And I started with Pokemon Silver.

In FRLG I picked up the habit of ALWAYS carrying like 40+ pokeballs on me because I encountered a shiny Rapidash and couldn't catch it cause I only had like 2 Pokeballs on me. Previous to this I basically caught the six I wanted for my team, and never carried extras on me cause I knew I wasn't going to catch anything more.

I have two main ones:

First off, I always pick the fire starter first time playing through a generation. Other than me just liking the type, my rationale for it is the following.
1. The fire types starters tend to have the best offensive stats of the three, which is very useful in-game where sweepers and bulky attackers are best.
2. Fire types are good against all of the early game bug and grass types, and good against later game ice and steel types, making fire types solid throughout the entire game.
3. Fire's three weaknesses (water, rock and ground) are all covered by grass, while grass and water have weaknesses that require multiple pokemon to cover.
4. In the earlier games, fire types tend to be found much later in the game compared to grass and water types, so getting one at the start is a real boon. Admittedly, more recent games make fire types available as early as the grass and water types.
5. In games with HMs, Surf is mandatory, with Waterfall, Whirlpool, and Dive seeing use depending on the game. If you pick the water starter, you either run the risk of making your starter and HM slave, or have to carry around and extra water type for that role. With the fire starter (and grass starter I guess) that isn't a problem, as there are plenty of solid water types available in-game for you to use.

The second thing I do, when not doing a Nuzlocke or other challenge that limits the pokemon I can use, I always name my starter but nothing else. That is, until I decide a pokemon is worthy of my end-game team, in which I bring them to the name rater then.

1. With my in-game team, I always make sure that either (A) all my Pokemon have identical Pokeballs or (B) each of my Pokemon is in its own unique Pokeball.

2. With my in-game team, I always make sure that either (A) no Pokemon on my team has a nickname or (B) every Pokemon on my team has a nickname.

3. Even though natures don't matter much for in-game playthroughs, I still make sure that everything I'm using has a good nature for its stat spread.

4. For some reason, I try to somewhat balance the "kinds" of things that my Pokemon are based on. I like it when my team has a balance of mammals, birds, reptiles, plants, amphibians, humanoids, or objects. Two of each kind is fine, but three of any kind is too much.

5. I feel compelled to EV train everything in my collection, even the Pokemon that I don't use. Every Pokemon in my Pokebank has an acceptable nature and has been fully EV trained.

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
I always force myself to not overlap types on my in-game team (can't have 2 fairy or 2 water-types).

I either nickname everyone or nickname no one

Water-types are mandatory for any team I create

I'm habitually avoiding pokepelago ever since I found that shiny (good natured) Pokémon can appear and not decide to stay. Until we figure out the exact mechanics, I'm hatching eggs and EV training myself.

I'm habitually avoiding pokepelago ever since I found that shiny (good natured) Pokémon can appear and not decide to stay. Until we figure out the exact mechanics, I'm hatching eggs and EV training myself.
Really? I've been getting great milage out of Poke Pelago. Obviously 30 hours is a ridiculous ly long time to EV train one Pokémon, but it has given me a way to do it while also studying for finals!

Anyone else get the master ball and do nothing but stare at it while rummaging through your bag for something else the entire game?

Honestly, to me it's more of a decoration at this point.
I'm always in the habit of saying to myself 'save it for the roamer'.
Even though we haven't had those since BW2.

It doesn't help that the whole ball-breeding mechanics means I also want to get the Legendaries in fitting Poké Balls too, and I find the Master Ball only particularly fits Mewtwo and Rayquaza somehow. So now it's basically become a thing I save for shinies but will likely never actually use on shinies!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm always in the habit of saying to myself 'save it for the roamer'.
Even though we haven't had those since BW2.

It doesn't help that the whole ball-breeding mechanics means I also want to get the Legendaries in fitting Poké Balls too, and I find the Master Ball only particularly fits Mewtwo and Rayquaza somehow. So now it's basically become a thing I save for shinies but will likely never actually use on shinies!
And when you do encounter a Shiny, unless its one with a self knock out move, you probably will try capturing it normally first which will most likely succeed. And now that you can only get a Shiny via chaining if you encounter a Shiny it's probably because you were planning on it thus prepared to catch it.

And when you do encounter a Shiny, unless its one with a self knock out move, you probably will try capturing it normally first which will most likely succeed. And now that you can only get a Shiny via chaining if you encounter a Shiny it's probably because you were planning on it thus prepared to catch it.
It's essentially been sucked into the whole but-I-might-need-it-later syndrome of one-use items in RPGs.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
At least they gave TMs multiple uses. I always ended up saving the important one-off TMs for "some important thing later". I still get that feeling of having wasted something for using the Giga Drain TM in Gold...
Well if we're going to talk about saving one use items how about another obvious one: Ethers. At first they sound incredibly useful, but in practice not only would you rarely use them but they don't sell them so you wind up keeping them in your bag to collect dust. Like checking my bag in moon version now I have 5 Ethers, 5 Max Ethers, 4 Elixirs, and 6 Max Elixirs... and they're never going to be used! I could sell them, but at the same time I'm that type of person that, when given a unique item, I don't want to sell it even if I have no use for it.

Come on GF, just sell ethers in marts, not that it would make people use them any more (except maybe near end game when players might have Pokemon with the 5 PP moves) but at least I can sell them without feeling like I'm losing a item I can never get again. Also, maybe include something where Ethers would be useful, like include a battle gauntlet where you can bring in a select few items into a maze and you got to get through with only those items at your use and whatever your Pokemon have.

Well if we're going to talk about saving one use items how about another obvious one: Ethers. At first they sound incredibly useful, but in practice not only would you rarely use them but they don't sell them so you wind up keeping them in your bag to collect dust. Like checking my bag in moon version now I have 5 Ethers, 5 Max Ethers, 4 Elixirs, and 6 Max Elixirs... and they're never going to be used! I could sell them, but at the same time I'm that type of person that, when given a unique item, I don't want to sell it even if I have no use for it.

Come on GF, just sell ethers in marts, not that it would make people use them any more (except maybe near end game when players might have Pokemon with the 5 PP moves) but at least I can sell them without feeling like I'm losing a item I can never get again. Also, maybe include something where Ethers would be useful, like include a battle gauntlet where you can bring in a select few items into a maze and you got to get through with only those items at your use and whatever your Pokemon have.
Another problem with Ethers?

Thanks to the Poke Pelago, it's horrifyingly easy to farm Leppa Berries. You get like 10 berries for every one you plant, and then you plant those ten, then you end up with 100...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)