Pokedex 3D (free and in 3DS eShop now)

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26460

Pokédex 3D, featuring all of the new Pokémon from the recent Pokémon Black and White games, will allow users to look up information about more than 150 Pokémon and their moves, all for free. It will make use of SpotPass and Augmented Reality.

Players start with 16 Pokémon and can unlock the remaining Pokédex entries by scanning QR Codes, using SpotPass (up to three random Pokémon a day), or by trading data with friends, likely via StreetPass.

Users will be able to view each Pokémon in 3D, and rotate them a full 360 degrees. The Pokédex features filters and bookmarking capabilities as well.
The app will use the 3DS' built-in Augmented Reality capabilities to display Pokémon in pictures taken via the 3DS Camera.

Check out some pictures of the Pokédex in action below.
You can have move data and all that jazz no matter where you go! Hopefully it's out before VGC Nationals so we can streetpass the hell out of it!

More screens at the link.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26460

breh

強いだね
My god, a pokemon-sponsored pokedex that's not 100% useless for competitive?

Still, am I the only one who thinks Serebii (conversely, bulbapedia if you can wait 3 hours for it to load)+smartphone is still more useful?

Looking at it more, it's a hilarious troll. Stats are not by base but by bar (wtf), you have to streetpass to unlock only the unova pokemon, and it seems to offer little but false promises.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It looks incredible. Definitely picking this up when I get the chance.

I love those 3DS Pokemon models but the arbitrary stats are bullshit(compare Hydreigon's stats to Emolga) Give me BSTs :(.
Edit: Movepools are awesome, good stuff GF :)

Arrrrgh. I need to find someone else who has a 3DS for it to be useful? Looks like I'm sticking with Pokedroid.

On the bright side, I'll at least have an actual 3DS game to go with my 3DS finally. Fucking launch titles.

when you have stuff like Hardy PBR Surf Pikas(you needed to go to random events or do Yellow Forest to get a Surf Pikachu with a good nature) and Quiet Eruption Heatran, you do know that they hate you.

p.s. Flareon still doesn't have Flare Blitz.

Katakiri

Listen, Brendan...
is a Researcher Alumnus
Damn it, Game Freak! Hurry up and make PBR2 so I can start hosting IRL Midwest Pokemon Tourney Circuits!

Wow, English BEFORE Japanese. Strange.
Not strange.

This Pokedex isn't an actual part of the Pokemon game. Its simply supplementary content. Regional divisions are allowed to make their own supplementary content. The release of notable English exclusive content has already been done before with Pokemon TCG online.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It looks incredible. Definitely picking this up when I get the chance.

I love those 3DS Pokemon models but the arbitrary stats are bullshit(compare Hydreigon's stats to Emolga) Give me BSTs :(.
Edit: Movepools are awesome, good stuff GF :)
Yeah, I was annoyed by the arbitrarily out of 5 ratings for stats when I got the ultimate pokedex last year =/

My god, a pokemon-sponsored pokedex that's not 100% useless for competitive?

Still, am I the only one who thinks Serebii (conversely, bulbapedia if you can wait 3 hours for it to load)+smartphone is still more useful?

Looking at it more, it's a hilarious troll. Stats are not by base but by bar (wtf), you have to streetpass to unlock only the unova pokemon, and it seems to offer little but false promises.
My first thought was "and not a shit was given that day," since I have my trusty guides of Bulbapedia and Veekun when I need move info. Veekun in particular is a handy resource.

Still, the 3D Pokemon models actually look decent this time around. I don't believe Nintendo would make 161 (counting alternate formes and not counting unrevealed mons like Keldeo) mons. The temptation to get it JUST so I can see a 3-D Ferrothorn is huge...

...Wait, it's free? I'm getting this when I finally get a 3DS. It might be bullshit competitively, but free 3D Ferrothorn still makes me drool slightly.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
You know, it's really hard to complain about freeware.

• The graphics look great (almost stationary models lol).
  • The basic info (movesets, abilities, etc) is actually useful!
  • The price is great.

It still sucks that they use that ridiculous "bar system" for their stats.

Especially when every fansite out there has concrete base stats. But for free... man... this is great!

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I dont see the necessity of this if you have an ITouch/Phone. iPokedex has far more utility and usefullness than this.

I've come to the conclusion that GF just doesn't like competitive players :(
Why would they? "Competitive pokemon", an oxymoron to begin with, is contradictory to the point of the games and is therefore theoretically detrimental to their sales. Gamefreak's preferred demographic wants to play with favorites; competitive players tell that preferred demographic to either use a handful of certain pokemon or lose.

But anyway, the 3DS is already useless as it is, and a barebones pokedex that is completely outclassed by my iphone isn't going to help its chances. I'm sure I'll be able to hit up youtube for the 3d models eventually.

Why would they? "Competitive pokemon", an oxymoron to begin with, is contradictory to the point of the games and is therefore theoretically detrimental to their sales. Gamefreak's preferred demographic wants to play with favorites; competitive players tell that preferred demographic to either use a handful of certain pokemon or lose.
idk it seems foolish "We" don't tell anyone who they can and cannot use (except for ubers but then again Smogon's rule-set is for Smogon. Anyone else that wants to use it is just being smart lol) As for hurting sales I feel like by trying to eliminate an entire section of their fan base (the section where most of them have been playing since Red/Blue) Is just foolish (of course I'm talking about the competitive section)

I'm not sure whether to say I'm happy or feel cheated; this isn't the game that they planned on revealing in May/June, is it? Either way, it's free so I'll be downloading it for sure. Tbqa I immediately expected a Pokemon version of Nintendogs when I saw this (Hey You Pikachu 3D, anyone?)

I dont see the necessity of this if you have an ITouch/Phone. iPokedex has far more utility and usefullness than this.
That application is not an official application and can be taken down without notice.

----------

Would one be able to pause games on the 3DS and access applications without closing out the game?

That application is not an official application and can be taken down without notice.

----------

Would one be able to pause games on the 3DS and access applications without closing out the game?
I know you can pause and return to the home screen on 3DS games, not so sure about "old" DS games (B/W).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)