Pokemon Adventures Manga Discussion

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Discuss one of the greatest spin-offs to the videogames ever created, a series which the creator of Pokemon, Satoshi Tajiri stated 'most resembles the world I was trying to convey'.

Some ground rules specific to this thread:
1. Blue is the rival, Green is the female trainer, lets just stick to the english version and stay happy.
2. As with ROMS, don't ask for scans. You can find the RBY arcs really easily in most libraries, the later ones have been released in English by Singapore publisher Chuang Yi, and recently VIZ media has been bringing back past issues to the celebration of all.
3. Considering how messed up the distribution of this series is be liberal with your spoiler tags and warnings.

I'll start off the discussions with favourite arcs and moments, the Yellow arc finale may have been one of the most amazing team-ups. The Battle Frontier ending was also a fitting tribute to the 10th anniversary, although I hated Emerald because I always felt that they could have had Wally fill the role easily and come up with some way to give him the Emerald name.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I only completely read through the Red/Blue and Yellow arcs, and then read here and there for the rest of it.

I really really liked how they portrayed Mewtwo; how he was able to really express himself without talking. (At least in those arcs, I believe he started talking later on in FRLG) And his spoon...

Also, this manga made me like Venusaur. I hadn't really given him a second thought but he was so badass and now he's like my favorite :D

As for moments, I really liked all of the major fights that involved Team Rocket. Like the Silph Co battle, and the Elite Four battle. I loved how the fights were serious and intense (like Arbok getting sliced open). I loved how much the trainers were in to battles even though they weren't fighting themselves. Instead of just standing on the sidelines and shouting orders like in the anime, they ran around, stayed close the Pokemon, and the trainers themselves are attacked tons of times.

All in all, I liked that it was very serious and, dare I say, realistic, compared to the anime.

I really don't care for the manga at all

Like I enjoyed it at first but I noticed there was something nagging me through the entire series that I didn't really pick up on until the (terrible) Emerald saga.

It drops its connections to the game at a drop of the hat to be ~EPIC AND AMAZING~ and bring in all the cast and deal super attacks and the plot goes to shit and this really really bugs me.
Sird is stupid
Devoting 4 page spreads to THE MOST POWERFUL ELEMENTAL ATTACKS in Emerald's ending was stupid
Pretty much everything about the RS arc's end was stupid and terrible. "Oh let's train together for several chapters but then lock you away in a capsule while I go off with this other girl" "Oh no everyone died!" "OH WAIT IT TURNS OUT I HAVE A CELEBI THIS ENTIRE TIME AND NOW ALL THE MISTAKES ARE UNDONE HOORAY"

The various arcs also have this really bad feeling of being rushed through, though it's more obvious in the end bits than anything else.

these guys are definitely not related

way too many hints dropped on this LOL
I guess...fathers?
SEXTUPLETS?!
edit: wait not stupid enough for this manga

they are clearly illusion clones created by using the Mask of Ice's ice mask with Sird's magic armor powers mixed with time space from Dialga/Palkia

I really don't care for the manga at all

Like I enjoyed it at first but I noticed there was something nagging me through the entire series that I didn't really pick up on until the (terrible) Emerald saga.

It drops its connections to the game at a drop of the hat to be ~EPIC AND AMAZING~ and bring in all the cast and deal super attacks and the plot goes to shit and this really really bugs me.
So much this. I loved the Red/Blue chapters for, among many other things, their accuracy/adherence to the world of the games (and gave the Yellow chapters a pass because they obviously couldn't completely retread over the same plot points). But only a few chapters into Gold/Silver the trend R_N identifies here was already really gearing up.

I've only ever seen a few episodes of the anime and I absolutely cannot stand it, as much as I love the Gen I games - but I absolutely adored this manga because, exactly as Satoshi Tajiri said, this world was the world from the games come to life in a new medium, and it ruled. But by the time the Crystal chapters ended I felt like they just squandered all that goodwill, and potential.

The Yellow Chapter is really the start of it honestly. Beyond having to create something entirely different since, well, obviously
The thing that stands out the most has to be when Giovanni comes in for the big final confrontation.
It's right near the climax and it's all OH SNAP it's Giovanni and OH SNAP he was from Viridian and AW MAN he has a Beedrill and the SHIT IS GETTING ENTIRELY TOO REAL UP IN HERE

but then he didn't really do anything that I remember and he stepped right back out of the story

also yellow having the ability to surge Pokemon's levels to max because why not

I like the variety of characters for mains but I think the new author killed Reds character in favor for blues, Red stopped being innovative, got into a draw with blue in the frlg series and apparently loses to emerald (not to mention losing faith in himself).

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
1. Blue is the rival, Green is the female trainer, lets just stick to the english version and stay happy.
Ugh.

Anyways, regardless of the shit flunged at the R/S arc, I still find it to be one of my favorites, since the two main characters meshed well together and the dramatic irony behind their pasts fleshed in well with how the plot was progressing. Ruby's acceptance of who he was (from the hard superficial exterior to the caring individual he inwardly was) and his journey made it worthwhile, especially with using Feebas/Milotic as an excellent way to achieve that. His complicated relationships with his father and Sapphire enhanced the development and his true character, allowing the reader to catch glimpses of who he is in the inside from the beginning, until it's revealed in the end (seriously, wasn't I the only one who though that most sons go after their fathers, in this case, a monstrously strong trainer, and yet we see Ruby as some contest prissy? There was more to it than that, which is revealed in the end.) Other than Red, I think he was one of the strongest protagonists in the entire Pokemon Specials series.

The deus ex machina with Celebi was understandably disappointing, even with the foreshadowing with the Seviper in the beginning (which I didn't comprehend; I thought it was Ruby just demonstrating his trainer skills, not unleashing a legendary) and that was the only low point of the series, though since the Pokemon Special is supposed to cater to a younger audience (which I would argue against BUT whatever), death of a father figure and the previous champion isn't a very good way of accomplishing that. Plus, it allows the setup of my favorite arc, FRLG, so it's all good in the end.

I want to conclude with: DP was terrible until the very end, PT was disappointingly terrible with its rushed story and that nothing substantial happened in the arc and HGSS seems like it's on the same path unless the writers pull something out of their asses fast, which would be disappointing since I did have high hopes for the 4 generals. B/W seems promising but the characters don't have the flair that the earlier ones did and B/W2... I'm not even sure where they're going with that.

Edit: @above, not sure how you can say that the writers killed Red's character when the bulk of FRLG was devoted to Red developing into an adult and a greater indepth look at who he is, especially in the airship. His complicated relationship with Deoxys, Mewtwo and even Giovanni indicates that the writers didn't "kill" him but instead allowed him to grow. As for Emerald, you forget that the Frontier is based on skill alone, and not on levels or power; on an even playing field, I would guess that Emerald has an even better flair for battling than Red.

N has probably caused more mental trauma than mask of ice, and is the only serious character that can get away with using prevos no idea why serving left him he's a great character

From what I remember,

N basically trolls the hell out of both main characters by having Musha and Gigi perform Face Heel Turns and leave the character's parties, with the latter joining N too. At least White gets a Servine out of the exchange. And said Servine happens to be one of juniper's starters wtf???

yeha, N's an ass.

N had nothing to do with that second one, that was a problem that was waiting to happen and was foreshadowed since mistraleon when Black rung the bell the first time

From what I remember,

N basically trolls the hell out of both main characters by having Musha and Gigi perform Face Heel Turns and leave the character's parties, with the latter joining N too. At least White gets a Servine out of the exchange. And said Servine happens to be one of juniper's starters wtf???

yeha, N's an ass.
Eh? He didn't make Tepig leave White and go with him, it chose to because it agreed with his ways. And N had nothing to do with Munna leaving Black, he simply explained why it left him.

Tepig didn't leave white, she just had the bright idea to jump out of a moving ferris wheel and tepig didn't join her, N seemed like the more sane choice and it wasn't as if gigi was whites pokemon, just a slave to the musical

Jellicent said:
I've discussed this with the rest of the OI staff, and we are now allowing discussion of the Pokemon anime and manga. Enjoy ^.^
Jellicent said this on rules, but is it cool to talk about it now????

Jellicent said this on rules, but is it cool to talk about it now????
Dude, just let these people talk about the manga in the manga thread, as far as I know it's not allowed to just talk about it at any other place, not to mention that this thread would've been closed already if the rule was that strict.

Besides, stop trying to shove rules in the faces of others >: (

Also, I've always wanted to read the Manga, but never got around it. Is it really good, or ok-ish?

Dude, just let these people talk about the manga in the manga thread, as far as I know it's not allowed to just talk about it at any other place, not to mention that this thread would've been closed already if the rule was that strict.

Besides, stop trying to shove rules in the faces of others >: (

Also, I've always wanted to read the Manga, but never got around it. Is it really good, or ok-ish?
Ok, I misread the quote, which by the way proves why English sucks (because missing one word changes the entire sentence). Anyway, please don't get angry at me for being concerned about the rules, I really don't care about you guys having a manga thread but I do care about people getting banned for not reading the rules and being careless. I was just trying to help. ;__;

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Now that we all understand how reading works, let us use it to enjoy more Pokemon Adventures.

I need to acquire a few of the recent bw issues but I was looking over some of the older rby issues and I am reminded how the manga is much more willing to mess with things established in the games than in before. I was reading through the capture of Red’s Eevee and a few of the Rocket Gym Leaders. They took a game with very minimal plot to begin with and filled in a ton of gaps to create a very worthwhile story. The whole Blaine and Mewtwo arc heck was probably an inspiration for that nuzlocke comic A Petty Nuzlocke Challenge: LeafGreen Edition.

Although that is not to say the manga hasn't been inspired by other Pokemon sources. The Emerald arc had a good deal of anime inspiration with the Jirachi comet and Latias in human form. I remember being slightly annoyed at this aspect but with a series like Pokemon it's hard not to look to the other parts of the franchise for inspiration

The RB arc was great for having its own twist to the story and summarizing all of the important plot points, and when the games started giving the manga more to work with like for rs or dp, they started getting longer and even more developed. The problem seems to be that remake, where the characters literally have nothing else to do in their region so they add a legendary to try and make things more entertaining. I'll admit that johtou did it better but that's because those characters had loose ends, flaws that persisted even by the end of their own arc. The frlg arc really compromised the characters depth in order to make a more entertaining story because red and green were by this point in time perfected. There was no real story unless they regressed one of the characters which they did with Red.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)