1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 Move Tutor Moves

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by SupremeDirt, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Porii Sames

Porii Sames

Agree with PK Gaming.

Also, it's a small thing, but on CB Terra, you can run CC/Sedge/SuperPower/Sleep Talk so that you can absorb sleep and later ST a 120 BP STAB Fighting move 2/3rd of the time. It's small, but it's helpful every now and then, moreso than EQ, X Scissor, or Quick Attack.
  2. Doughboy

Doughboy house of champions
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Someone pointed out awhile ago that Haxorus' design is based on pure physical power, not the conjuring of elements. Superpower, edgequake, outrage all indicate this and aqua tail indicates he can smash you with his tail in some capacity.
  3. -Sun

-Sun

rofl....

On another note I'm pretty excited about the new changes, there's some stuff going round about the therians and keldeo going uber but I don't think so. How come they all got trolly base speeds tho?
  4. Banryu

Banryu

From what I've seen, by far the most interesting change (as far as 5th gen moves go) is Drill Run Lapras. Hydra-Rest DD/Curse Lapras likes having coverage outside Water-Normal, methinks.

Also, Flygon now gets Superpower. Kickass.
    Hydreigon is also even more ridiculous than it already was with addition of Roost and Superpower in addition to Dark Pulse/EP combo. Tailwind and Aqua Tail are also pretty cool.

Right?! I like that our old nostalgic Kanto buddies are actually becoming somewhat useful...
  5. Exc4libur

Exc4libur

my ignorance is deep. anywho, Golurk got the elemental punches + Drain Punch as well. And Stealth Rock. Finally some more moves to abuse the Iron Fist trait. I always liked golurk.
  6. Danger Mouse

Danger Mouse

superpower is fantastic on hydreigon. OHKO on tyranitar. very satisfying.
  7. LockDown

LockDown

I'm just extremely confused why Escavalier did not get drill run when Beedrill of all things got it. Sure it has drill in its name, but let's compare pictures:
    Beedrill (open)
    [​IMG]

Escavalier (open)
    [​IMG]

Both have two arms with pointy cone things and both have pointy tail things. Beedrill has legs. That's about the only difference.
    Just WHY Gamefreak?
  8. Princess Bubblegum

Princess Bubblegum

Well looking at the list of drill run pokemon (Fearow, Excadrill, Rhydon), it seems to be that in order to use drill run you need a pointy drill of some sort on your actual head, so arms don't count I guess.
  9. Zephiel

Zephiel

Machamp's design is based on pure physical power, but it still learns a lot of special movies.
  10. Banryu

Banryu

Lots of Fighting-types are getting Dual Chop... That's kind of bizarre. I-- Holy shit, something terrifying just occurred to me. 0__0

Uber Blaziken...
    - Swords Dance
    - Protect
    - Flare Blitz/HJK
    - Dual Chop

.___. ...Is anyone else terrified too?
    Of course, I might be overstating the threat, Dual Chop is relatively weak in Ubers... But... b-but still...
  11. tehy

tehy

What would dual chop even DO on blaziken, precisely? It only beats dragons and blaziken could already do that. Granted, you do now beat giratina-o a little easier while still beating other dragons, but then everything else that checked you counters you, so yeah.
  12. Thorhammer

Thorhammer

Then it isn't based on pure physical power?
  13. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

It's a giant muscle man whose normal movepool is entirely filled with Fighting & Normal type moves known for punching and hurling things. Design wise it has a power-limiting belt because it is that physically strong!
    It is all about physical power, but still gets elemental things.

Which, by the way, so does Haxorus. Poison Jab, Grass Knot, Incinerate, Aqua Tail, SURF

The "Haxorus is just a purely physical thing! That's why it doesn't get elemental punches!" theory kind of falls flat when your Dragon is capable of summon torrents of water and breathing fire.
  14. Doughboy

Doughboy house of champions
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Poison Jab: "The foe is stabbed with a tentacle" which is Haxorus' Axe appendages. It isn't elemental either considering Poison was a physical type in the past
    Grass Knot: It can make a rope out of Grass
    Incinerate: Can use its breath (similar to Dragonbreath, Tornadus gets it)
    Aqua Tail: It can smash things with its tail (hitmonchan punchs stuff: ice punch, hitomonlee gets blaze kick, etc. no elements)
    Surf: It has the ability to swim (that is the primary function of surf in game and that is why it is included on stuff like hariyama)

I think that adequately fits into its flavour as a physical dragon

edit:
    Think about in terms on what it is based on. IIRC Beedrill could spin its poinrt appendages, thus it can burrow into the ground just like normal bees can. However, Escavalier is based on lancers. If you don't know what a lancer is, its a weapon used by cavalry to charge at an opponent and STAB them with something at high speed. You just hold your lancer, you don't spin it otherwise you can't hit your target. Since Escalvilier doesn't spin its lancers, it just jabs with them, it can't learn drill run.
  15. melvni

melvni
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Just to add a little to what ThePillsburyDoughBoy said (open)
    Outside Haxorus's family there are 19 dragons that learn Incinerate. Of those, only Deino and Zweilous don't learn either Flamethrower or Fire Blast (but this doesn't really help the case since Incinerate is their only special move that isn't Normal or Dragon type) and, out of the remaining 17, only Druddigon doesn't learn both (it doesn't get Fire Blast for some reason). Even Palkia, a Water-Dragon Type gets all three. It could just be that they gave the Haxorus Line Incinerate without the other two in order to demonstrate how weak Haxorus's elemental power is compared to other dragons. Besides, when you have a fire move that stuff like Poochyena can learn, it's not exactly the best example of elemental power.

Anyway, that being said, the reason it doesn't get any of the elemental punches (or any punching moves period) is probably far simpler. Look at its 'hands'. Does it look like it could form a fist?

Edit: Fair enough, I didn't think that through clearly enough. However, looking up the definition of Punching on Merriam-Webster, it says that it means

Look at things like Breloom and Wigglytuff. They can clearly make a forward thrust in a manner similar to a fist. Haxorus, already handicapped by his inability to make his claw into a fist, doesn't have a body shape that would really be useful for doing that.

Also before you bring up Rampardos, or things like that, look at the arm position and 'hand' shape. :
    Haxorus (open)
    [​IMG]

Rampardos (open)
    [​IMG]
  16. R_N

R_N

[​IMG]
    breloom punches just fine for having....h-hooves?

[​IMG]
    Wigglytuff doesn't even have actual arms
  17. Thorhammer

Thorhammer

B/W Pokedex: Its short arms stretch when it throws punches. Its technique is equal to that of pro boxers.
  18. R_N

R_N

See? Punches just fine despite having things that shouldn't really bend. Unless it stabs things via punching
  19. Thorhammer

Thorhammer

We should note that Breloom is a case specifically noted by the Pokedex.
  20. melvni

melvni
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

As I edited into my earlier post, according to the dictionary at least a punch doesn't have to involve a fist, it just usually does.

Things like Wigglytuff and Breloom can do that. For whatever reason Gamefreak decided that Haxorus can't, and it doesn't get any punching moves. I put my guess in my earlier post, but really there are probably several other possible explanations for that being the case.

Anyway, trying to get bit back on topic, you guys think that Genesect will have any use for its tutor moves when it's released. It does get Dark Pulse, Giga Drain, Iron Head, Signal Beam, and Zen Headbutt. Anyone see any use for any of those?
  21. Princess Bubblegum

Princess Bubblegum

The pokedex also stats Magcargo is 18,000 degrees F, over 3 times the temperature at the surface of the sun.
  22. Arcticblast

Arcticblast LOL STAFF FAG
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Why Haxorus doesn't get the punches:
    [​IMG] I've always wanted to use this gif in a serious post.

Anyway, do you think Ninetales will more commonly run ResTalk or Pain Split? And what about Cofagrigus? Ninetales doesn't stay in for more than one turn most of the time, so Pain Split seems better on it. I think Cofagrigus's low HP is perfect for Pain Split, but ResTalk seems superior on it to remove status.
  23. Soarin

Soarin

I honestly think people will lean more towards ResTalk because Pain Split isn't as popular, But overall. I think that PainSplit Tales is actually the better option.
  24. jle1076

jle1076

Have you seen a Druddigon or a Haxorus? There bodies are completely different in size/shape/structure lol
  25. Tobes

Tobes Woo-hoo, woo-hoo, woo-hoo-hoo!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Hi flavor discussions aren't adding anything here, so stop them. Please keep it competitive and free of "what ifs". Let's keep this grounded in reality.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)